Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,194 members, 7,807,661 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos (6076 Views)

Daylight Corruption In Immigration Office, Ibadan / Should Nigerians Pay £3000 For UK Visa Bond?? / Uk Visa Application Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 6:04pm On Jul 02, 2008
Short of words?A friend just called me with this shocking story-
EEA family permit applicant was charged 16,000 Naira for application/legal fees by the UKVAC staff without a receipt(you cannot request for a receipt because you are at the mercy of the officer).This is an application which is legally free of charge(Gratis) for EEA family members.
This is a clear signal that the UK visa system is open to fraud.I am sure a CCTV footage will certainly expose those criminal officers at the centre.(only if the UKVISA is ready to face the scandal).
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by funkybaby(f): 12:49am On Jul 03, 2008
brownbonno:

Short of words?A friend just called me with this shocking story-
EEA family permit applicant was charged 16,000 Naira for application/legal fees by the UKVAC staff without a receipt(you cannot request for a receipt because you are at the mercy of the officer).This is an application which is legally free of charge(Gratis) for EEA family members.
This is a clear signal that the UK visa system is open to fraud.I am sure a CCTV footage will certainly expose those criminal officers at the centre.(only if the UKVISA is ready to face the scandal).

@brownbono
I find your friend's claim rather shocking and also surprising!

Why pay 16000 naira cash to the UKVAC staff?? Those people have no business dealing with cash at all. All visa payments are to be paid through the bank and the bank issues the receipt instantly. There is even a mini-bank in those VAC offices.

Me thinks the staff just played a fast one on her probably due to her ignorance.

Who told her that she is at the mercy of the staff People fail to understand the role of VAC. They have no power whatsoever to influence or determine any visa application. All they do is to ensure proper documents are submitted and the forms are correctly filled. As a matter of fact, you are not under any obligation to listen to any of their advice or suggestions. If you think you see no reason to include any document, the applicant can tell them point blank. They have no right to refuse to collect the applicant or walk the applicant out of their office. They are more like a 'courier company' for bhc. They help to collect the applications, deliver them to bhc and bring them back to their office for the applicants to collect them. The mistake ignorant people make is that they think that they are british embassy staffs with their 'nice' uniforms at all.

There is always at least one british embassy staff at the VAC. Usually at the point of collection though. She should have walked up to the guy and complained. As a matter of fact, if she can still recognise the guy, she should go there and report him. The earlier people like him are removed from the system, the better. Soon we might begin to hear cases of missing documents, etc.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 8:09am On Jul 03, 2008
funkybaby,
I share your views,but the bane of the matter is that ignorance is a main issue in Nigeria and the officer capitalised on that to extort money from applicants.
On the contrary,it also shows lack of standard/process on the part of the UKVAC which the BHC should have corrected.Or there is a standard/process but is not adhered to.That is why the ISO gives standard structure in a workable environments.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by funkybaby(f): 8:26am On Jul 03, 2008
brownbonno:

funkybaby,
I share your views,but the bane of the matter is that ignorance is a main issue in Nigeria and the officer capitalised on that to extort money from applicants.
On the contrary,it also shows lack of standard/process on the part of the UKVAC which the BHC should have corrected.Or there is a standard/process but is not adhered to.That is why the ISO gives standard structure in a workable environments.

Brownbono
I do not agree totally with you here. There are standards/processes that are being adhered to by the UKVAC. The whole visa application thing has been made so so easy and there are laid down steps to follow. Their offices are organised, the staff/security are always on alert to prevent 'confusion', they are polite and very willing to help. I have cause to go there for few times and honestly, i am impressed. In my opinion,it is one of the smartest innovation by BHC. If you had to deal with BHC in the era of booking telephone interview and pay money to some people to secure this, getting to the embassy by 5am just to queue up, you will appreciate what those people are doing.

Me thinks the lady was just too ignorant, disorganised or maybe appeared too desperate to travel and an individual capitalised on this.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 9:40am On Jul 03, 2008
funkybaby,
Yes i understand your point,but what i am saying is, in a third party customer service environment.There is suppose to be a check out slip signed by the customer(applicant) to specify the service rendered,document supplied/received etc.This enable an assesable records for audit.Some refused applications could be as a result of missing documents with no arguable record to prove otherwise.
Morealso,i do not agree that the applicant was desperate,but the officer was only fraudulent because if a form is Marked EEA permit application automatically translate free application fees.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 10:41pm On Jul 03, 2008
Further details received suggest that the Ibo man was out to line his pocket.That is useless and fraudulent and does not befit a service from a British authority/representative.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by Nemeziz9ja: 8:09pm On Jan 08, 2009
@ Funkybaby
The earlier people like him are removed from the system, the better. Soon we might begin to hear cases of missing documents, etc.
My sister, there are cases you have not heard of but they are already happening, they steal and use your documents for other applicants they claim they can process visas for, even at the gate, the security personnel will want you to grease their palm when its obvious that you have a submission appointment slip printed from the UKVAC website.
All sorts are happening in that place. I saw some and frankly I am not surprised, after all we are still in Naija.
Wait until you hear of missing passport with visas before you know corruption is endemic here.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 7:54pm On May 04, 2009
UPDATE- The N16250 Refunded
The EEA family permit was issued within 1 hour last week,when the sponsor stormed BHC office at Walter Carrington with documents/letters from the European Commission and MEP to the Immigration Minister Phil Woolas on the  illegal behaviour of the BHC in the processing of application for EEA family members.

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by DisGuy: 11:15pm On May 05, 2009
brownbonno:

The EEA family permit was issued within 1 hour last week,when the sponsor stormed BHC office at Walter Carrington with documents/letters from the European Commission and MEP to the Immigration Minister Phil Woolas on the  illegal behaviour of the BHC in the processing of application for EEA family members.

Well Done,wonder when Nigerians can get letters from their representatives at the state/national assembly
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 10:40am On May 06, 2009
Dis Guy:

Well Done,wonder when Nigerians can get letters from their representatives at the state/national assembly

We still have a long to go because our Nigerian elected leaders don't believe they have a duty to be responsible to their electorates.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by bigbumper(f): 5:09pm On May 06, 2009
brownbonno:

We still have a long to go because our Nigerian elected leaders don't believe they have a duty to be responsible to their electorates.

Hello stranger kiss Is it that or is it because Nigerians are too lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed to ask undecided
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 8:01pm On May 06, 2009
big_bumper:

Hello stranger kiss Is it that or is it because Nigerians are too lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed to ask undecided

Stranger ?
Missed yea anyway.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by blacksta(m): 12:29pm On May 07, 2009
big_bumper:

Our leaders are a reflection of the corrupt society ( which includes you and i) let us carry on suffering and smiling.
Re: Corruption In Uk Visa Application Centre Lagos by brownbonno(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2009
brownbonno:

The EEA family permit was issued within 1 hour last week,when the sponsor stormed BHC office at Walter Carrington with documents/letters from the European Commission and MEP to the Immigration Minister Phil Woolas on the illegal behaviour of the BHC in the processing of application for EEA family members.

Sponsor got a letter from the Minister of State (Home Office),that the BHC have been instructed to issue the Visa ASAP.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos To Minna By Bus / How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa / Citizenship by Birth In Turkey?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.