Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,808 members, 7,806,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. (11608 Views)

The Weird World Of Teenage Cultists In Edo State Nigeria / The Ika People{igbanke}. / If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by PhysicsQED(m): 1:46am On Oct 14, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

You people up in that Edo state are confused.

Bini is a class, it is the ruler-elite class unique to the palace. Bini is foreign to your land, which is Edo. Ive preached this to Physics time and again..........but instead of looking at oral history of Edo, you people prefer going to European chroniclers to explain who you are.

Edo is indigenous and the Ogiso came out of the Edo culture.

Bini is foreign and an Ife elite class that has continued to rule in Edo land, beginning centuries ago with Oranyan.

English language is not native to your land. Bini language today is a admixture of Yoruba and Edo. You are the majority in Edo state and you should standup and assert your majority instead of explaining it with apologies.

Tell Igbankes to begin learning your culture and language or they should join the National Conference talk and demand a reunion with Umuahaia.

There's so much confusion in what you've written that it would pointless to try and improve your understanding on this same topic that we've already discussed multiple times, especially when it's obvious that you've never made any serious attempt at "looking at oral history of Edo" beyond what you've read on the internet. I don't intend to get dragged into the same lame argument yet again.

1 Like

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by DuduNegro: 1:53am On Oct 14, 2013
PhysicsQED:

There's so much confusion in what you've written that it would pointless to try and improve your understanding on this same topic that we've already discussed multiple times, especially when it's obvious that you've never made any serious attempt at "looking at oral history of Edo" beyond what you've read on the internet. I don't intend to get dragged into the same lame argument yet again.

Im not interested in an indepth exploration into oral history of cultural or dynastic Edo, beyond that point at which Ife set foot in it.

If i were a son of Edo, .........oh my God! - i would study it fanatically.

I admire your fanaticism about your poeple, your culture and its history. I wish other Edos will be like you, unfortunately they vascillate in their confusion not knowing if they want to be Edo, Yoruba or Ibo. People like PapaBrowne is more igbotic than he is Edoid.

Crap!!
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by PhysicsQED(m): 2:08am On Oct 14, 2013
^

There's no "fanaticism" involved, it's just that some people on this site tend to write junk, and I feel that I might as well respond. You're not helping matters by also writing junk. Since you admit you don't know anything beyond what you read online, why keep pretending to be knowledgeable?

3 Likes

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by DuduNegro: 3:17am On Oct 14, 2013
PhysicsQED: ^

There's no "fanaticism" involved, it's just that some people on this site tend to write junk, and I feel that I might as well respond. You're not helping matters by also writing junk. Since you admit you don't know anything beyond what you read online, why keep pretending to be knowledgeable?

I dont pretend to be knowledgable, Im proud of my enlightenement.

You are framing what i said earlier in a biased and colorful portrayal.

Im not interested in the Edo history preceding the Omon'Oba dynasty is not an admission of knowledge or lack of, its just a personal stance of what I consider unappealing.
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by PhysicsQED(m): 3:27am On Oct 14, 2013
^
I wasn't even talking about dynasties specifically and I don't care what your interests are or are not - I didn't even comment on that. Other things you wrote in that post that weren't even about dynasties showed total confusion and ignorance. So please stop writing junk about stuff you have never looked into and which you don't have any interest in doing any serious investigation on.

1 Like

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by DuduNegro: 6:08am On Oct 14, 2013
Thats why i leave Edo/Ogiso talk exclusively to those who know about it and I inject myself, invited or not, into Edo/Bini talk because I have points and knowledge to share on that platform.
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by PhysicsQED(m): 6:17am On Oct 14, 2013
^
I don't care about whether you 'inject' yourself into such a conversation or are invited. The only issue here is that some of the things you wrote in that post I quoted are ignorant and ill informed, and you should stick to discussing only what you know. Correcting people who give themselves a false aura of being knowledgeable on something when they are actually clueless gets irritating after a while and I really don't have time for it nowadays.

4 Likes

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by sleekdre: 6:32am On Oct 14, 2013
During creation of state, the then Military Administrator Ogbemudia wanted his parents to come from the same state. The mum is from igbanke and the dad from bini. That was why he forced igbanke into edo state at their displeasure..
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by ncpat(m): 7:12am On Oct 14, 2013
Let`s leave what happened in the Edo UK event out of this matter and come to the reality, my names are Uwabor Chukwuma Patrick and anybody that hears or sees my middle name written will quickly conclude that I am an Igbo man, that is why my primary school teacher changed Uwabor to Nwafor but I am from Igbanke in Orhiowon Local Government Area of Edo State

It used to be convenient during the old Bendel State when asked, where are you from? Agbor of-course, how will you feel when someone from Igbanke can speak with an Igbo man from Abia,Anambra,Enugu,Imo fluently and cannot relate to his brother from the same LGA . I remember my enrollment into the secondary school and I was ask state of origin and that was the year the two states came out of the then Bendel State and I remembered my Uncle had earlier told me that we are now Edo State,I quickly replied "Edo sir" but looking on my names Nwafor Chukwuma and staring at me,a Bini man behind me spoke bini to me and I said "I don`t understand" and he said "he`s from Delta" and Delta State was written for me as my state of origin back then.

Presently now where I live here in Gombe,Nigeria we the Igbanke people meets once a month and for the state meeting, we attends Delta State meeting, all these because of language barrier.

3 Likes

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by ijawcitizen(m): 1:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
ncpat: Let`s leave what happened in the Edo UK event out of this matter and come to the reality, my names are Uwabor Chukwuma Patrick and anybody that hears or sees my middle name written will quickly conclude that I am an Igbo man, that is why my primary school teacher changed Uwabor to Nwafor but I am from Igbanke in Orhiowon Local Government Area of Edo State

It used to be convenient during the old Bendel State when asked, where are you from? Agbor of-course, how will you feel when someone from Igbanke can speak with an Igbo man from Abia,Anambra,Enugu,Imo fluently and cannot relate to his brother from the same LGA . I remember my enrollment into the secondary school and I was ask state of origin and that was the year the two states came out of the then Bendel State and I remembered my Uncle had earlier told me that we are now Edo State,I quickly replied "Edo sir" but looking on my names Nwafor Chukwuma and staring at me,a Bini man behind me spoke bini to me and I said "I don`t understand" and he said "he`s from Delta" and Delta State was written for me as my state of origin back then.

Presently now where I live here in Gombe,Nigeria we the Igbanke people meets once a month and for the state meeting, we attends Delta State meeting, all these because of language barrier.
Lol...change of name from Edo (Igbanke) to Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by pazienza(m): 10:19pm On Oct 14, 2013
ijaw citizen: Lol...change of name from Edo (Igbanke) to Igbo.

And who told you that Uwabor has no meaning in Igbo dialects? my surname sounds so non Igbo too, but yet am an Igbo man. When i tell people my name, they ask me if am from urhobo. Uwabor has an igbo meaning,it's just not a popular Igbo name, most igbos would abreviate such name to just 'Uwa' .
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by pazienza(m): 10:22pm On Oct 14, 2013
And by the way, igbanke is not Edo, the original name was 'igbo Akiri' and not igbanke, igbanke was coined newly from the two clans making up the town. No igbanke man can understand any Edoid language, every igbanke man should be able to understand central igbo language, the reason for that is not far fetched.

1 Like

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by eziza: 12:12am On Oct 15, 2013
Who the hell is Gloria Adagbo and why is she making threats? When yawa gas can she stand it? I hope that is not her real name.
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by ijawcitizen(m): 5:39am On Oct 15, 2013
pazienza:

And who told you that Uwabor has no meaning in Igbo dialects? my surname sounds so non Igbo too, but yet am an Igbo man. When i tell people my name, they ask me if am from urhobo. Uwabor has an igbo meaning,it's just not a popular Igbo name, most igbos would abreviate such name to just 'Uwa' .
They always have an Igbo meaning, don't they? Good!

And despite the Igbo meaning they always have, Uwabor (an Edo name) was change to Nwafor before our very eyes (korokoro).

Igbanke people are Edo people just like the Ika, agbor & other so-called "delta Igbos". They bear Edo names because their ANCESTRY is Edo, but yet you try hard to change their names to Igbo due to your insatiable quest for expansionism

The former deputy governor of Delta state under Ibori was one of such "Delta Igbos" called Benjamin Elue-tell me that is Igbo. Not forgeting names like Osakwe (originally Osakue) and Osadebe and others with clearly Edo names claimed as Igbos.

Keep that brainless explanation to yourself, we already know you guys for what you are. I only wonder why Edo folks tolerate this rubbish from you guys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by Abagworo(m): 9:21am On Oct 15, 2013
ijaw citizen: They always have an Igbo meaning, don't they? Good!

And despite the Igbo meaning they always have, Uwabor (an Edo name) was change to Nwafor before our very eyes (korokoro).

Igbanke people are Edo people just like the Ika, agbor & other so-called "delta Igbos". They bear Edo names because their ANCESTRY is Edo, but yet you try hard to change their names to Igbo due to your insatiable quest for expansionism

The former deputy governor of Delta state under Ibori was one of such "Delta Igbos" called Benjamin Elue-tell me that is Igbo. Not forgeting names like Osakwe (originally Osakue) and Osadebe and others with clearly Edo names claimed as Igbos.

Keep that brainless explanation to yourself, we already know you guys for what you are. I only wonder why Edo folks tolerate this rubbish from you guys.

I've realized you are not Ijaw after all. All hail Alhaji harem's new moniker. An Igbanke man has written that he speaks and understands same language with people from far away Abia and you are here doing what you know best. Trying to twist obvious facts.

Elue is purely an Igbo name with variants of Eruo, Erue, Eroh and sometimes with Nwa/Nwo used as prefix like in Nwelue.

Osakwe is a pure Igbo name. In Igbo Osa is used as shortened Orisa/Olisa/Olise which was used as a word for God in pre-colonial times. Osakwe is Olisakwe, Orisakwe, Obasikwe, Chukwukwe and Chikwe. Osadebe is also Orisadebe, Olisadebe, Chukwudebe and Chidebe.

10 Likes

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by ijawcitizen(m): 9:53am On Oct 15, 2013
LWKMD

How a simple name ELUE became a "complex" mathematical expression that went thru' calculus, BODMAS and other mathematical processes and ended up as CHUKWUDEBE & CHIDEBE as the final answer. Is it a quadratic equation?

Why people no go fear mathematics?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
ncpat: Let`s leave what happened in the Edo UK event out of this matter and come to the reality, my names are Uwabor Chukwuma Patrick and anybody that hears or sees my middle name written will quickly conclude that I am an Igbo man, that is why my primary school teacher changed Uwabor to Nwafor but I am from Igbanke in Orhiowon Local Government Area of Edo State

I really understand your situation and plight. Its quite sad.
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2013

I really understand your situation and plight. Its quite sad.

1 Like

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by aljharem(m): 5:30am On Oct 17, 2013
ijaw citizen: LWKMD

How a simple name ELUE became a "complex" mathematical expression that went thru' calculus, BODMAS and other mathematical processes and ended up as CHUKWUDEBE & CHIDEBE as the final answer. Is it a quadratic equation?

i just love the way you ignored these people. Anyone that does not agree with an Igboman is Alj harem LOL I love you jor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by Abagworo(m): 9:47am On Oct 17, 2013
alj harem:

i just love the way you ignored these people. Anyone that does not agree with an Igboman is Alj harem LOL I love you jor

Welcome back Alhaji after the long hiatus and temporary "ijawnization". Its good to be bold and not coward as you've portrayed yourself with that your ijawcitizen moniker.

1 Like

Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by bigfrancis21: 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
Abagworo:

Welcome back Alhaji after the long hiatus and temporary "ijawnization". Its good to be bold and not coward as you've portrayed yourself with that your ijawcitizen moniker.

There are really some psychotic people on this forum.
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by aljharem(m): 5:22am On Oct 19, 2013
Abagworo:

shocked shocked shocked shocked this is serious grin grin grin grin Ok I am now Ijaw
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by waternogetemeny: 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2014
na wa ooo
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by Joe82834(m): 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
sonya4all:
The major languages spoken in the state are Ebira,Edo, Esan and ika/Okpamheri.EdoState is home to several ethnicities,so perhaps there were more of Benin present at the occasion which is Why edo was used. don't come with Your land grabbing attitude here... igbanke is of the ika stock and Never igbo. in such gathering in Delta. we speak either English or pigeon.
Sorry. So u still don't know that the ika, agbo and so are all dialects of the igbo language. Google ika or ignore language dialects
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by Joe82834(m): 10:41pm On Jan 10, 2015
ijawcitizen:
LWKMD

You are acting intelligent but you didn't touch the part where ncpat said he(not just him but his ppl )understands the dialect of a man from far away abiastate but not any over language in from. Pls kindly explain this. Tanx
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 19, 2015
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by Macelliot7(m): 1:01am On Jan 24, 2016
AndreUweh:
WHOEVER MADE THE DECISION TO LUMP IGBANKE INTO EDO STATE SHOULD BE SHOT OR HANDED OVER TO ME TO DO JUSTICE.

I attended Edo State Day 2013 on 21st September 2013, organised by Edo State National Association UK.
From the personal greetings, the music, the introduction of guests to the the Master of Ceremony, every single sentence was in Bini language.

I felt like a fish out of water. I couldn't hear or understand a single word. I felt alien to the event, an alien in the midst of my supposed fellow Edolites. A stranger in my own State! Before you admonish me for not engaging, I can tell you that I did engage but everyone was engrossed in Bini language. I don't blame them. They are the majority but I had expected some translation of some sorts but all that was said was that if you don't understand Bini, just say Amen to some spoken words that I have no clue about. This is selfishness at the highest order.

I have to say that I have nothing against Bini people and hold them in high esteem. I accord the Bini's huge respect. I have them as my friends, as in laws and as cousins but I HAVE TO SAY THAT WHOEVER MADE THE DECISION TO LUMP IGBANKE INTO EDO STATE SHOULD BE SHOT. The relationship is so unbalanced and unequal. It is very difficult to get on when you can't relate to a single spoken word. If you attend a meeting and can't understand a word, how are you meant to represent your people? How do you pick up issues that borders on your people?

It is a big shame that Igbanke have to put up with this absurdity; an alien in the company of their supposed State Indigenes. Those our people who continue to say that Igbanke is Edo are so WRONG and far removed from reality. Unless, you can speak or understand Bini, one is alienated, completely at sea and lost big time.

The relationship is synonymous to a forced marriage, so unequal, so unbalanced and so wrong!
From Gloria Adagbo, a pround Anioma and Igbo daughter.
Spaniskid a.k.a simplycarro
Re: Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. by AutomaticMotors: 2:24am On Nov 22, 2022
hardniola:
which one be igbake again.......
Any igbanke come clear urself,ibo av started land grabing
erosion don chop d whole ibo land finish.....benin stand

cheesy grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Halts Coronation Of New Ayangburen Of Ikorodu / I Cried When I Saw This / African Americans Lack Values And Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.