Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. (16773 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Sneh / The Meaning Of Doro Bucci / What Is The Meaning Of Skelewu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by johnwizey: 11:34am On Oct 14, 2013
Izrhiell: Ah Nigerians and their retarded thinkin hmmmm SMH
Look @ dis American wit his fast tinkin. Try to contribute ur opinion,dont quote me pls
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 14, 2013
johnwizey: Look @ dis American wit his fast tinkin. Try to contribute ur opinion,dont quote me pls
. Still SMH
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Zeebah23(f): 11:40am On Oct 14, 2013
I once watched 2face's live performance,it was awesome.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by shaneroberts26: 11:43am On Oct 14, 2013
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Lilimax(f): 11:44am On Oct 14, 2013
Zeebah23: I once watched 2face's live performance,it was awesome.
The likes of 2face are very few to come by in Naija these days.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by emmaduks(m): 11:46am On Oct 14, 2013
first you have to know that most of this guys are not musician, they only know how to make noise with auto-tune, non of them cay play konga not to talk of drum set so they can not give what they dont have. Some even sing offkey thats make mad.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by shaneroberts26: 11:46am On Oct 14, 2013
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by 50calibre(m): 11:49am On Oct 14, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Nice write up Hez,but u must realise that most of our musical artiste are not well bred in the art of music.They know little or nothing.Some just realised they kud sing,or so they think,get a producer who perhaps operates with a laptop and there goes an album.If the said album becomes a hit,coz every danceable crap is a hit here,how then do u expect a true live performance from this artiste.Truth is,you can't give what you don't have.

Spot on!! These Nigerian artists don't even know what music is, any joe from the street can wake up one morning, go into a studio & shout nonsense to a good beat, & then sell it as music.

Most of the time, their voices are fine tuned to sound good on record so when it comes to live performances, they're useless.

If you want to see artists who understand the nitty gritty of music, look at jazz & Afro beat guys. Fela's music, his beats were masterpieces, something that's still being copied by A-list American artists, even femi. These guys perform with live bands, they bring music to life.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by ITbomb(m): 11:53am On Oct 14, 2013
One of the mindblowing song I could never imagine to be perform live on stage was 'Get your freak on' by Missy.
But when I saw it, the instruments, violin , even though there was sound effects in the background but it was actually performed.

I doubt whether Nigerian producers can convert all those rubbish they cook on the mix to live performance

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by dabrake(m): 11:54am On Oct 14, 2013
stevebond007: best stage performance psquare; dbanj. worst stage performance 9ice.
MI, Iyanya
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by stynoski: 11:54am On Oct 14, 2013
First of all, there is something called a Performance Track or Stage Mix - where your song (or a number of your songs) are put in a CD or DVD and the lead vocal muted! That way, the artiste can sing live on the instrumental - you can call it a Karaoke! But at least, the voice is live and can be adapted to fit the atmosphere or mood!

Secondly, music is not for everybody! I have worked with Record companies abroad and I know that in Nigeria, we are just joking! An artiste comes out with a track and its a hit - he becomes known all over the country and some parts of Africa! Then the hype is sustained and the album drops! This same artiste makes so much money from invitations to perform his/her music, but does not invest anything to improving himself - his voice, his physique, outfit, etc. Little wonder they hardly make it past the 2nd album!

Thirdly, there is a contract that brings the artiste and the people doing the invite together - if your contract specifies live performance, then it must be live performance, or you don't get paid! But if you do not specify, then you do not have the right to complain. Except when the artiste is doing a tour! Abeg make una no crucify me o! Na my own opinion be this! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by shaneroberts26: 11:55am On Oct 14, 2013
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 14, 2013
First of all, we don't have live bands that can play alongside our artistes.... Secondly, even in america the soundtrack is usually played in the background so the singer can sing along.... I watched tufaces performance of raindrops and he used traditional drummers... It don't mean much, if you ask me....
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by vascey(m): 11:57am On Oct 14, 2013
It is an evolving industry. And it is an opportunity for you out there to contribute. So rather than criticise and abuse these guys, please do something positive, sell a solution and make some money for yourself.
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by shaneroberts26: 12:03pm On Oct 14, 2013
Den i giv y'all dis for d argument about whom d greatest is to end today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbAwqqaNDc&feature=player_detailpage

And blesses y'all wid dis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enf68hEsvys&feature=player_detailpage

Y'all kan keep ya fenx.
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Tayeni(m): 12:04pm On Oct 14, 2013
Indifferent: @OP, the truth is that you wont enjoy this life performance because u won't hear the same voice u hear on radio.
Also performers like Terry G will lose breath to sing with, cos they be jumping around with their energy. Only Rnb stars who sing with their natural voice can do that.
Sumarry: Leave am like that, we dey enjoy am.
ignorant post. Have u seen beyonce perform live on stage b4? And u knw how physical she gets when she choreographs. Only rnb? Lie! Shey kanye na RnB?, jayZ na RnB? Imagine say dem Dε̲̣̣̣̥Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ lip synch. Just say u contented with taking crap and so used to mediocrity that u wouldnt recognize quality even if it kicked u in the face.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by charlesm91(m): 12:08pm On Oct 14, 2013
Indifferent: @OP, the truth is that you wont enjoy this life performance because u won't hear the same voice u hear on radio.
Also performers like Terry G will lose breath to sing with, cos they be jumping around with their energy. Only Rnb stars who sing with their natural voice can do that.

bac in snoop,dre n deathrow heydays, i watched most of their youtube clip n they mostly rapped live wit the instrumentals rather than the recorded version. Dre made it entertainin wit his magic n snoop usually will introduce new words to his line rather than the released ones.
In all, we nid live, raw unedited performances lyk dat n i bliv if the audience begin demandin such, the artiste will be forced to work harder than the crap they give us

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by shaneroberts26: 12:10pm On Oct 14, 2013
[quote author=Tayeni]ignorant post. Have u seen beyonce perform live on stage b4? And u knw how physical she gets when she choreographs. Only rnb? Lie! Shey kanye na RnB?, jayZ na RnB? Imagine say dem Dε̲̣̣̣̥Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ lip synch. Just say u contented with taking crap and so used to mediocrity that u wouldnt recognize quality even if it kicks u in the face.
Fank yhu.Please lecture him.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by crackhaus: 12:16pm On Oct 14, 2013
Most guys don't care, all we want to do is dance and grab the girl standing right next to us, then go home with her if our gf is not available

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by leggo: 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2013
why would anyone listen to Nigerian music?? all i hear is beats.. the lyrics are dog crap.. once you criticize the talentless musicians their dogs come to bite calling you a hater.,.. fucck artistes who repeat two lines the entire song...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Erotex(m): 12:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
Flavour
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by 50calibre(m): 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
Also performers like Terry G will lose breath to sing with, cos they be jumping around with their energy. Only Rnb stars who sing with their natural voice can do that .

Rubbish!! People don't go to live performances to hear the same sound they hear on radio, that's why artists try to add a little modification to their live performances, so it sounds unique.

Every musical artist can deliver a live performance without lip-synching, it only depends on how good you are.

Even rappers can perform live, without backing.

The game & travis barker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjc3uAPiZF8

50 cent & his crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7y3V-WqxuM

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by obailala(m): 12:46pm On Oct 14, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: My attention as been drawn to the popular trend of Nigerian singers.

We keep going on and on about having the biggest and most active music industry in africa and one of the largest in the world.The music industry is said to be worth $700m.While this may be true,there is something our performers are yet to master which in comparison to other developed music industries is highly frowned upon.

This is the issue of Live Performance.With a large music sector like ours here in Nigeria with a large number of youths who pay attention to this sector it is not encouraging that our youths don't get the real value of music from the artiste they love too much.

Live performance is supposed to be the performance of a song to a live audience on a stage at a concert/show/ceremony where a singer sings a song to a live band playing instrumentals and back up singers as the case may be.

Live performance is not playing the recorded version of the artiste song while the singer sings to it as his original song is played in the background.
This is Lip-Synchronization.You're mouthing words to an already recorded song without a live band playing instrumentals as your voice takes the lead.

I'm very sure you all would agree with me that our Nigerian artiste only lip-sync their songs and earn huge amounts of money for the shows while we stand and listen to them giving us half-baked performances.

If we're to make a comparison,you'll agree with me that the likes of Beyonce,Rihanna,Lady Gaga,Justin Bierbier and the dead Whitney Houston had at one point puked on stage from anxiety and over-preparation for a live performance cause they know their die-hard fans deserves a real performance and they must enjoy what they came for.American artiste are known to practice with their bands for tours of which the lead singer sings the song as if its a new song with the instrumentals to back up the vocals.

Do we remember the Obama Second Term Inaugauration where the Popular Music goddess Beyonce was criticised for lip-syncing her performance.The 3minute performance was expected to be given the best as she was expected to be best prepared for it.

In Conclusion:This is to tell Nigerian Musicians to learn the culture of Live Performance,they should practice with their bands and give the audience mind-blowing performances and stop mouthing to their songs.I believe a lot of youtube videos of foreign artiste are available at their disposal to help them learn just in case they don't get how.

I hope they get this message or somehow it is related to them and we should expect a change from them.

Thank you.

Hezron Lorraine.
Hezron Lorraine: No one is disputing the fact that they do,it isn't a regular norm like our performers in Nigeria do.The foreign audience often criticize the artiste later on even if he/she delivered a wonderful performance on stage.

I totally disagree with your assertion. Back in the days, Yes; but in recent times, No way. Most Nigerian artists do live performances these days with very clear modifications to the original songs. I don't know where you get ur statistics from. Can u please show us examples (videos) of any of the top Nigerian artists lip-syncing on stage recently?
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by safarigirl(f): 12:48pm On Oct 14, 2013
First off, organisers have to pay extra for an artiste to do a live performance, about 500k extra for Flavor(I've called up his manager once), if people are tryna make good profit, they lessen expenses. Secondly P'square, M.I and Flavor don't shy away from such. The reason Asa, Dare, Nneka and Bez perform live is mostly cos of high earnings and their shows cost a hefty sum, like 10k regular, hence it's NOT for average Nigerians. Then there are those who won't do live performances cos they can't sing sef. 90% of the blame should be on organisers though
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by safarigirl(f): 12:56pm On Oct 14, 2013
stynoski: First of all, there is something called a Performance Track or Stage Mix - where your song (or a number of your songs) are put in a CD or DVD and the lead vocal muted! That way, the artiste can sing live on the instrumental - you can call it a Karaoke! But at least, the voice is live and can be adapted to fit the atmosphere or mood!

Secondly, music is not for everybody! I have worked with Record companies abroad and I know that in Nigeria, we are just joking! An artiste comes out with a track and its a hit - he becomes known all over the country and some parts of Africa! Then the hype is sustained and the album drops! This same artiste makes so much money from invitations to perform his/her music, but does not invest anything to improving himself - his voice, his physique, outfit, etc. Little wonder they hardly make it past the 2nd album!

Thirdly, there is a contract that brings the artiste and the people doing the invite together - if your contract specifies live performance, then it must be live performance, or you don't get paid! But if you do not specify, then you do not have the right to complain. Except when the artiste is doing a tour! Abeg make una no crucify me o! Na my own opinion be this! grin grin
um..certain artistes do improve themselves i.e body, outfit, songs e.g P-square, Lynxx, Banky W(make una try for this guy), Flavor, Timaya (he doesn't look like a thug anymore), KCee(nice style, musically, not so much), Tiwa Savage, Chidinma, Waje (I mean she lost all that weight, give her some props)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by ugees(m): 1:04pm On Oct 14, 2013
Alas someone has spoken up. I absolutely HATE this trend in the industry.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by NMBlog: 1:15pm On Oct 14, 2013
@Hezron Lorraine, Your post has been featured @ http://nigeriamultimediablog..com with full credits to you and a link to the source, Nairaland.Com

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 14, 2013
just why i still prefer reggae music so original, What we have in Nigeria are singers and not musicians. They dont know how to make real music!!
watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrgk_ItaQs and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xSyPFnv9hY
Re: Nigerian Artistes Don't Know The Meaning Of Live Performance. by dasphinx1(m): 1:58pm On Oct 14, 2013
finally!! Nigerians r in need of Nigerian. songs wit. great lyrics and not "Kirikata kirikata" kinda songs.......I just hope this "enlightenment" applies to youths in general, especially those with no access to the internet......

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2face's Album “Away And Beyond” - Your Thoughts ? / "Freak Me" - Ciara Featuring Tekno (Audio) / "Kerewa" By Zule Zoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.