Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,718 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 (8170 Views)

Photo Of A Man Proudly Wearing Weave-on / ~ The Hair Gallery For Short,Natural,Weave Or Braids ~ / Best Salons For Weave-on Fixing In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by Yvete(f): 7:59pm On Oct 13, 2013
Before I get started, ladies please learn to use control cremes properly on your edges. Gels leave your hair super-hard and prone to breakage. You can use an old toothbrush to apply edge control cremes lightly on your edges. Why do you buy expensive weaves if you can't invest in a good edge control? ?? Nollywood actresses are guilty of this. undecided

To the nitty-gritty ...
1. Let your weave match your hair texture. If you have very coarse and thick hair, STAY AWAY FROM SILKY HAIR weaves! ...especially if you're going to leave hair out. When the hair textures don't match, it looks ugly. Tired of seeing ladies rocking 23-inches of Brazilian hair cascading down their backs while the front edges is a mess! If you're going with pre-packaged hair like Noble, Milky way, Sensationnel etc, go for Yaki/Yaky texture unless your hair is silky. Virgin hair vendors can get you a hair texture that's close to your real hair.

2. Try to do a protein treatment prior to fixing weaves and right after you take it down. This helps to strengthen your hair. You can't do without it.

3. If you are getting a full sew-in with no hair left out, tell your stylist not to braid the baby hairs and short strands around your hairline. No. You need to baby that fragile area. Again, use edge control cremes; Let's jam, ORS, CON and Hicks Perfect edges are great. There are many products out there.

4. If you have no front hair because its 'chopped out' or 'thinning' .... Wigs with bangs are your best friends. Do not fix weaves, go on a relaxer stretch or go natural for your edges are filled in. See Naomi Campbell's pic below.

5. Do NOT use hair glue unless you want to be permanently bald, grin Hair glue is a No No. If you’re not interested in getting a sew-in weave, manage your natural hair with flex-rods, Bantu knots or braids. If you still get a glued-on weave, please take all necessary steps with oils in taking it out so you don’t lose hair in the process.

6. Do not let the stylist braid your hair or sew in the weave too tight. You’ll know because aside the major migraine that you’ll experience, you’ll see white bulbs on the tip of many strands along your hairline. This means that hair has been pulled out because of the tension. Also, tiny bumps will form in the back of your head.

7. Don't wear your weave or braids for more than three months. The longer your leave it in coupled with the frequent washing + drying, shed hair, etc. will cause your hair to matt up over time.

8. If you are planning to leave your weave/braids in for three months, you might want to rethink frequent washing and co-washing. I usually wash once per week (Saturdays), but sometimes I change it up to twice weekly. Again, frequent washing and air drying, product buildup, etc, might cause your hair to get matted. In 2009, I had braids in for 3 months and lost a lot of hair esp. on my edges. cry

9. After you take out your weave, make sure its fully detangled before washing. Use your hands, detangling spray or comb it out fully before applying relaxer or washing. (Trust me, you will have a MAJOR setback if you do not listen to that one rule). I learned the hard way. …as soon as water hit my hair, it formed locs and got really matted. I had to chop out huge chunks of hair.

10. It is okay for you to see lots of hair in your comb after you take out your weave. Remember, you had your hair braided for x time, and what you’re seeing is most likely shed hair.

11. Wait at least 7-14 days before you reinstall another weave. This allows your real hair to breathe.

12. Have fun with your weave! Remember you can enjoy different styles with a weave without damaging your real hair. Do you want some blonde highlights, a curly style or wet n’ wavy look? Go ahead, and weave it up! Uhmm .. you might want to stick with something that will look more natural though. If you’re 4a or 4b, stay away from silky straight hair.

13. When your scalp starts itching real bad, its either time for a wash or you need to oil your scalp. Tea tree oil helps with the itch.

14. Learn to stretch your relaxers. You don’t have to keep relaxing your entire head when you take down an install. If it’s going to be braided up anyway, what’s the point?

15. Tips on washing hair while you have a weave:
I picked up this great tip from BHM. Put your shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner in separate water/applicator bottles. Dilute it with water, and pour it over your head so it reaches your braids. Gently massage your scalp, and rinse thoroughly. This works great!

16. Tips on blending natural/transitioning hair with weave. If you buy a curly/kinky weave and you're natural, you might want to try using flex-rods or trying a braidout on the hair left out. That will help blend your hair with the weave. If you buy a straight weave, you'll more than likely have to constantly straighten it so that it blends in with the weave.

17. To re-use hair weaves, wash in cold water. I put shampoo in a bowl of cold water and dip the hair in slowly. Basically, dip in...dip out till its washed. Do not rub in. Leave to air-dry.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by olarwarlay(m): 8:29pm On Oct 13, 2013
Another nice write-up from her "Royal Flyness Yvete".... I have to print this out and give my to girlfriend cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by Yvete(f): 8:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
olarwarlay: Another nice write-up from her "Royal Flyness Yvete".... I have to print this out and give my to girlfriend cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wassup my dear? You don't wear weaves, now out! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by olarwarlay(m): 8:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
Yvete:

Wassup my dear? You don't wear weaves, now out! cheesy

Yes!!! your royal flyness.... I'm out.
Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by faithobodogulo(f): 9:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nice and helpful + healthy tips. Tnx dear 4 dis information.

1 Like

Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 13, 2013
I comment my reserve.. Till I get a gf embarassed
Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by Mamacita007(f): 11:38pm On Oct 13, 2013
yvete hair saloon grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by mspee(f): 12:15am On Oct 14, 2013
Nice tips. Thanks for sharing. **printing and photocopying** wink
Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by olarwarlay(m): 12:26am On Oct 14, 2013
Mamacita007: yvete hair saloon grin grin

Lmao... I miss you, come here joor kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by Rejoyla(f): 9:45am On Oct 14, 2013
Thanks for the tips...really really helpful

1 Like

Re: The Weave/Weave-on Hair User Manual 101 by jeff1980(m): 12:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
Contact me for original Peruvian hair from 18inches to 24inches.Location Lagos.08039148026

(1) (Reply)

Must A Lady's Wedding Dress Be White? / John Foster Shoes / Show Off Your Favorite Things

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.