Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? (37647 Views)

Rare Picture Of The First University Graduate In The Nigerian Army- Emeka Ojukwu / Photos: Mimiko Commissions First University Of Medical Sciences In Nigeria / Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Gorrbachev: 6:47am On Oct 14, 2013
Please NL historians and politicians, which university was the first to be established in Nigeria?
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by hammedkola(m): 7:02am On Oct 14, 2013
University Of Ibadan, 1957
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Gorrbachev: 7:14am On Oct 14, 2013
hammedkola: University Of Ibadan, 1957

I thought it was Nsukka, that's what i saw on the internet. Check Nsukka's Wikipedia page and this article about Chimanda's half a yellow sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Nigeria,_Nsukka

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/features/article/nigerias-adichie-says-bestseller-helped-recall-painful-past

Fourth paragraph from the bottom.

Her parents were lecturers at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in the southeast, the country's first indigenous university founded shortly after independence from Britain in 1960.

the article was wrtten by AFP

2 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Gorrbachev: 7:17am On Oct 14, 2013
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:23am On Oct 14, 2013
University of Ibadan, Ibadan was the first university to be established in 1948. University College, Ibadan (as it's then known) was one the African campuses of the University of London, established by the colonial government. There was the University College, Legon, Ghana.

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 14, 2013
Not everything you read online is true. University of Ibadan was the first university in Nigeria and everyone knows that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by 4chi: 8:40am On Oct 14, 2013
Typical ibo revisionism....to lie is to be ibo. Even the frog eyed china-manda is not exempted from the ibo curse.

3 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by obitwo: 8:46am On Oct 14, 2013
Gorrbachev:

I thought it was Nsukka, that's what i saw on the internet. Check Nsukka's Wikipedia page and this article about Chimanda's half a yellow sun.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/features/article/nigerias-adichie-says-bestseller-helped-recall-painful-past

Maybe the first university in Biafra but it's on and off record that UI was born 7 years before UNN

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by IleIfe2(m): 8:59am On Oct 14, 2013
obitwo:

Maybe the first university in Biafra but it's on and off record that UI was born 7 years before UNN

From the ibo perspective, that's obviously not the case. UI was established by Britain for British students, while nsukka was established by Shukwudi & sons for students like Donatus, Syvanus etc grin grin

5 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by IGBOSON1: 9:17am On Oct 14, 2013
The key word is INDIGENOUS! Quit being an idio/t......it's too early in the morning mate!

Point out in the article where they said it's the first university in Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Chamackh(m): 9:23am On Oct 14, 2013
The first university in Nigeria is UNN, Unibadan wasn't a full fledge university cos their certificate
Wasn't issued from Nigeria, they are issued from UK. Before the University of collage Ibadan we had Hope Waddle Training Institute Calabar which was the in Eastern Nigeria. So UNN started as the first indigenous University without been affiliated to any Uni. Going by its name u should know.

4 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by gratiaeo(m): 9:23am On Oct 14, 2013
Ile-Ife:

From the ibo perspective, that's obviously not the case. UI was established by Britain for British students, while nsukka was established by Shukwudi & sons for students like Donatus, Syvanus etc grin grin
See what is confusing the guy, so don't blame him
^
The University of Nigeria was
the first full-fledged indigenous
and first autonomous university in Nigeria, modeled upon the American educational system. It is the first land-grant university in Africa and one of the five elite
universities in the country.

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 14, 2013
Gorrbachev:

Don't try and whip up sentiment with this crap, what they said was "first indigenous" university I.e by nigerians not the first university.
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Noneroone(m): 9:33am On Oct 14, 2013
University college Ibadan was established in 1948 as a university college affiliated to the university of london. From 1948 to around 1962 it was awarding london degrees. Therefore it was just an extention of university of london. But the university of Nigeria Nsukka was established as an autonomous university in 1960 . 'University college Ibadan' only became a full fledge university around 1963 with the name 'university of Ibadan'. UNN is often considered the first.

4 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by gidson12(m): 9:35am On Oct 14, 2013
Ile-Ife:

shut up my friend, don't be this fooolish
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2013
University college Ibadan was an off campus of the university of london and not an independent university.Unn is naija's first university

4 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by dridowu: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2013
My alma mater(University of Ibadan) 1st and the best, remains the 1st in country . 1948

2 Likes

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 14, 2013
gratiaeo:
See what is confusing the guy, so don't blame him
^
The University of Nigeria was
the first full-fledged indigenous
and first autonomous university in Nigeria, modeled upon the American educational system. It is the first land-grant university in Africa and one of the five elite
universities in the country.
keep quiet! UNN is not among the top ten elite universities in nigeria- check NUC's 2013 list .
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by phantom(m): 10:03am On Oct 14, 2013
silly thread.little boys wake up in the morning and instead of looking for what to do,come on nairaland and start foolish arguments.beats me how seun would strive to build a site like this and let it go to the dogs by illiterates.pity!

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 14, 2013
University of Ibadan 1948
University of Nigeria 1962
Obafemi Awolowo University 1962
Those the first three universities in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by gidson12(m): 10:13am On Oct 14, 2013
Segeggs: keep quiet! UNN is not among the top ten elite universities in nigeria- check NUC's 2013 list .

try to use your brain in discussions like this, why not start by understanding the topic raised before you make your comment....

thank you
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 14, 2013
has the Russian(OP) grin got anser to the question?
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 14, 2013
gidson12:

try to use your brain in discussions like this, why not start by understanding the topic raised before you make your comment....

thank you
i had to correct you cos you were busy spewing lies.
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by gratiaeo(m): 1:20pm On Oct 14, 2013
Segeggs: keep quiet! UNN is not among the top ten elite universities in nigeria- check NUC's 2013 list .
Another yaba left candidate
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2013
^^^The fool dat couldnt get facts right is the yabaleft candidate not me.
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by basilo101: 8:04pm On Oct 14, 2013
SE has always advocated for local approch towards development. Hw cn sm study in Ibadan and get a London degree evn after indepence? Wit all dia curiculum drafted frm d white man's perspective? UNN took a bold step amongst skeptism frm myopic SW to establish a truely Nigerian university. D war gave dem opportuinity 2 reduce d university to ruins n awolowo used biafran stolen moni 2 ife, n later name it after himself.

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by AndreUweh(m): 8:45pm On Oct 14, 2013
Let's not argue over this issue again. Unibadan is and has always remained as the premier university in Nigeria.
Yes U.I is the first.
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Gorrbachev: 10:12pm On Oct 14, 2013
Oladiran: has the Russian(OP) grin got anser to the question?

Her parents were lecturers at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in the southeast, the country's first indigenous university founded shortly after independence from Britain in 1960.

this was why i asked

http://news.yahoo.com/nigerias-adichie-says-bestseller-helped-recall-painful-past-065342100.html
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by plaindealer: 11:01pm On Oct 14, 2013
This is how people fail WAEC. What's the first University in Nigeria got to do with some school in Nsuka? UI is the first and oldest University in Nigeria and better ranked than the school in Nsuka.
Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Gorrbachev: 8:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
plaindealer: This is how people fail WAEC. What's the first University in Nigeria got to do with some school in Nsuka? UI is the first and oldest University in Nigeria and better ranked than the school in Nsuka.

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by agbameta: 8:27pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ile-Ife:

See comedy. You cracked me up no be small..lmao

1 Like

Re: First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? by Miracleojo(m): 9:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
ui remains the first university in nigeria.As long has nigeria was created in 1914.nsuku might be first after independence oooooooo.ui slogan is even first and the best.older generation nigerians won't even debate it.amanda was right by using the word indiginous for nsuka.......and mind you even uch the teaching hospital for ui was built 1958 a year before achebe wrote things fall apart

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of Abiola, Tukur And Yaradua Back In The Days / Lekki Toll Shooting: My Leg Was Amputated After I Was Shot - Adebayo Francis / Old Woman Carried On The Back To Vote In Bayelsa (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.