Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,770 members, 7,806,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... (25715 Views)

Pls!!how Much Is Needed To Get A Fibroid Surgery Done / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails / Cosmetic [Plastic] Surgery is So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 8:06am On Oct 16, 2013
Sanguine: Now does anyone wonder why the people in the medical field are called medical practitioners
That's simply because they are still practicising ...with human lives, sadly! Or how else could anyone explain this?!

The problem you see above are the doctor's fault or what exactly is your point?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 8:16am On Oct 16, 2013
Lagusta:

concerning private hospitals....

The NMA supposed to have a regular check on private hospitals, they must all be well equipped and up to standard!!! Not just paying annual dues....

a private hospital must have an oxygen-giving apparatus, a resuscitation kit and essential drugs..... also a standard theatre and side-lab for basic tests e.g pcv, RBS....

If these little things are in place, then we are heading somewhere!!!!

Something very vital to medical practice is a second opinion. Even a fourth wont be bad. In many of those private hospitals, there is only one consultant who does the job of a GP, an obstetrician,surgeon, etc

Many of them should be turned to Primary health care centres because the facility they have are not enough to qualify them as hospitals.

In fact if there is anything I'd want the government to do right now, it is categorising all hospitals as they should be into primary, secondary and tertiary health institutions with the public very much aware of which to choose at what time and the strenghtening and equiping of existing PHC units.

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 10:44am On Oct 16, 2013
Sanguine: Now does anyone wonder why the people in the medical field are called medical practitioners
That's simply because they are still practicising ...with human lives, sadly! Or how else could anyone explain this?!
lmaoooo that was funny.... True tho
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Lagusta(m): 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
deols:

Something very vital to medical practice is a second opinion. Even a fourth wont be bad. In many of those private hospitals, there is only one consultant who does the job of a GP, an obstetrician,surgeon, etc

Many of them should be turned to Primary health care centres because the facility they have are not enough to qualify them as hospitals.

In fact if there is anything I'd want the government to do right now, it is categorising all hospitals as they should be into primary, secondary and tertiary health institutions with the public very much aware of which to choose at what time and the strenghtening and equiping of existing PHC units.

God bless you ma!!!!

This is how it is in other countries, whereas in Nigeria here, all private centres are business centres where doctors milk their patients dry before sending them to the teaching hospitals.......

I pray I establish my own hospital, well equipped and up to standard......

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by iterator25: 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
#dies
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Muscomide: 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
After dem go talk say dem no dey carry last. Shior
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by InvertedHammer: 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2013
/

And some guy had the nerve to come on NL to blame the West for Nigeria's nonchalant attitude to life

//

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 16, 2013
The eyes of that guy holding the lamp nah floodlight oo. All join. grin Na him take the pishure. Checkout his position. I suspect poster. grin grin
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Tinkybabe(f): 2:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
This is terrible!like seriously?

After all,I will pay tribute to whom/what it's due

Tinkybabe: Rain calls
Light exits
Darkness adorns
Brightness vanishes
Sight beclouded
Temporary blindness
An alternative
An improvise
So crude
So old
Unrefined
Abode for rust
An artifice
Not as clear
Yet still
It does the work
A match lit
Alive it comes
The dark room
It illuminates again
Forever appreciated
Oh ye lantern

Lantern ,saving lives since the inception of black-out in Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by stchinedu: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
jigboke: Why should you be ashamed of urself . Remember that, the problem is from our leaders .the money meant to be used and equip the hosp are embezzled by them.Doctors are really doing their best . This is one of the reasons that made me to like this ongoing strike .
I respectfully disagree with you. If you refer to the govt or public hospitals then you may have some point but when we talk of a private hospital, they are supposed to have a back up incase of power failure which is a normal thing in naija. Even advanced countries do have power failure too and they fall back to the back up.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Rastamann: 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
kolidave: I stumbled across this photo today and I was shocked disgraced & embarrassed. What is the health sector of this country turning into. Now I know why people travel abroad to have their medical checkups and treatments..... By looking at the photo,can't imagine what would have happened if there was a casualty during the surgery leading to the loss of life and once again PHCN & GOVERNMENT will be in for it ..... Plz scroll down for the photo.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1359016_poor_naijaaaa_jpg4a8f22867c8a438081ee5b4f4487a05a

What is shocking and embarrassing in this photo? Is Nigeria and Nigerians not living under lantern? Abeg, lef mata.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by thorpido(m): 2:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
deols:

It has always been that way.There are primary,secondary and tertiary health institutions.
The problem is the cost of equiping these institutions and the manpower.The facilities available are not enough for the huge population we have and many people have to make do with what they have.
Imagine setting up a private hospital and you have to supply your own electricity,fuel your generators,still pay electricity bills and taxes and yet have to pay huge salaries to the personnel working for you.
To be honest most private hospitals in Nigeria can't really survive with all these when the patients you see don't even want to pay all bills and some can't even afford it.
Nigeria is really a challenging place.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
And what is the name of this hospital? undecided for all I know this could be another cameroon hospital picture....like that of the overcrowded prison that made frontpage months ago. All these sourceless pictures sef. Tchw.

So how do you expect anyone to do anything about it when we don't know where this happened?

*hisses out of thread*

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by tayork(m): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Am not even surprise.....is it not a country that can't even settle the 4 month old strike,doctor on strike and d president is doing as if everthing is ok. I don't even knw y he is concern about dis 2015 election cus he will never enter, never

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by buoye1(m): 2:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
A joke or something?WTF
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
I am very doubtful of that image. There is no reason why such a health center with good number of doctors cannot afford a generating plant. This should be taken to the 'joke section'.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2013

nw 4 ur mind wat u said is logical or is dis ur level of maturity And chartered accountants av bin chartered abi?? Back 2 d issue, plz u must undstd dat sum of diz tinz can't wait, if u undstd d pain of toothache u go evn gree mak dm use candle.. Anyways, #freshairtinz

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
InvertedHammer: /

And some guy had the nerve to come on NL to blame the West for Nigeria's nonchalant attitude to life

//
It is becoming clearer that most Nigerians are happy with the comedic lives in the country so that they can derive fun from them.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by ustazi: 2:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
I DNT SEE ANYTIN BAD ABOUT THIS.....AS LONG AS D LYT IS SUFFICIENT FOR D DOC. THIS PRACTICE HAPPENS EVERYWHERE IN 9JA.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by bebe2(f): 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
grin cheesy grin grin grin

Uppppp naija
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by felzylix(m): 2:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hmmm! Nigerians, setting P n breaking records since 1960
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by MrTroll(m): 2:45pm On Oct 16, 2013
I'm in the health sector and I have this to say...

Y'all should start suing our arsses. Yes! When a patient dies, investigations should be carried out and all involved parties sued, the doctors, pharmacists, anaesthetists etc. Only when we get our head out of the clouds and realise that GOD!!! Has no hand in the death of ANY patient will we sit up and assert our rights.

When people start suing left right and center, we will sit up and then the govt will start listening to our demands angry

2 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by DisGuy: 2:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
Lagusta:

concerning private hospitals....

The NMA supposed to have a regular check on private hospitals, they must all be well equipped and up to standard!!! Not just paying annual dues....

a private hospital must have an oxygen-giving apparatus, a resuscitation kit and essential drugs..... also a standard theatre and side-lab for basic tests e.g pcv, RBS....

If these little things are in place, then we are heading somewhere!!!!

why arent they doing it?

THE govt should be blamed for a whole lot of things BUT the medical proffessionals should also be blamed for so many other failures!

Why should the generator and back-up pack up at the same time?

Another problem is the Doctor in nigeria appear to be in charge of everything from hiring everyone from cleaners to security staff, procurement, repairing generators instead of putting in place a management system for non-clinical issues and concentrate on their expertise

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by DisGuy: 2:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
Mr Troll: I'm in the health sector and I have this to say...

Y'all should start suing our arsses. Yes! When a patient dies, investigations should be carried out and all involved parties sued, the doctors, pharmacists, anaesthetists etc. Only when we get our head out of the clouds and realise that GOD!!! Has no hand in the death of ANY patient will we sit up and assert our rights.

When people start suing left right and center, we will sit up and then the govt will start listening to our demands angry

I understand theres a lot of cover up going on in the health sector- they are quick to gang up on patients and then either turn the blame around or muddle the whole process
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Rejoice5000(f): 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2013
i didn't see any pix though but tru ur writeup if Nigeria is not favourable to u relocate to GHANA PLS @ POST.ur ex president were did he die?? in Nigeria or outside the country. romatter wat learn to appreciate Nigeria pls.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Rogers210(m): 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2013
arctoni:
And ar we supos 2 clap 4 u or wat.......xo u mean dr s notin new se......u ar toyin wit pple's lif
you must be a fool...
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 16, 2013
This is not new.When doctors decide to go on strike just to draw the government's attention to the deplorable state of the healthcare system in our country,the ill informed call us names.If I post pics of my experience,I wonder what some of you would say.Honestly,we have a long way to go.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by ichommy(m): 3:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
Only in Nigeria
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by buddymate: 3:03pm On Oct 16, 2013
Dr young: Experienced it during NYSC days, it was really awkward to deliver babies with torch lights but the midwives I worked with are accustomed to it. They strap the phone or torch on their hair net just like a palmwine taper will do and they are good to go.
Imagine if it falls in with blood splashing all over the place and the subsequent injury to the patients.

Ɣ☺u are very correct. I had my son with the use of torchlight held in the mouth by the midwife. But at the time, I wasn't bothered if it was even candle light or match stick.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by imperiouxx(m): 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
Yea! I did my youth service in Chemistry lab of a General Hospital in a local government area in Nasawara State and there was this night we were watching nice champions league match with the doctors (no light, so the soldier base always host corpers and doctors from the GH) when we got called for emergency call duty.

A drunk guy on bike fell into ditch and was brought to emergency. And guess what, the guy was left on hospital stretcher in his pool of blood while the hospital messenger on duty was searching for where doctor is (there was no mobile network in that LGA then). And when doctors came, all the stitching of this wide deep cut that transverses almost all his head from one end to the other, the face, the lips, and removal of broken teeth from his gum were are done with everyone holding flash light and rechargeable lamps.

In delivery room, husband must bring his generator or his wife is delivered with flash light. Also in operation room for minor operation like removal of appendicitis, correction of hernial etc, it's you and your gen.

It was always ugly scenes.

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by eightsin(m): 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
Dazed!
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Laenec: 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
It is so amazing people are seeing this for the first time. A number of worse scenerios still exist. There are situations where lamps and phone touch (nokia) have been used to set IV lines, suture bleeding wounds and complete some surgeries. Take a tourist trip to some State govt hospitals and see. If doctors refuse to work under these conditions, they are seen as wicked. But usually left with this choice in matter of life and death. God
Bless Nigeria! We'll get there one day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Dies 15 Hours After Giving Birth To Quintuplets In Asaba / RSS Officers Rush Woman In Labour To Hospital In Ketu (photos) / Painful Menses. Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.