Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! (1341 Views)

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / We Hope To Die Same Day — 81-year-old Twins (photo) / SHE Is STILL MISSING. Let's Pray That She Comes Back Safetly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by caramel007(f): 6:56pm On Oct 14, 2013
My fellow nairalanders, I need your help, advice, recommendations etc. I intentionally typed in caps cos I m actually screaming my head off right now.

I went to pay my aunt a visit yesterday. She had been asking me to come and see her for sometime now. I had been stalling thinking she wanted to see me concerning marriage issues. So, I finally took the step to go see her on saturday. After the usual pleasantries and the regular "how are you". She called me to her room. She told me my mom has been complaining of having a pain in her breast for sometime now. She said my mum has been to the hospital and she was given antibiotics and painkillers. Which she has taken and the pain is back. I couldn't wrap my head around it as the only thing that came to my mind was one word BREAST. The funny thing was that we (my mum and I) still spoke last thursday and when I enquired about her health she said she was fine. She didn't tell me anything!

I called her there and then and it took some cajoling before she could tell me, I had to tell her that I was with my aunt. She said she didn't want to tell me. She said she noticed the pain since 2011. She said its not a lump and the she cant explain the pain.

I am very scared! I ve not been myself since she told me. I m trying to put up a brave front but deep inside I m shattered. How bad can it get? Why this? Why now? I don't want to lose my mum. I m going to give it all it takes.

What does this mean? How do I go about this, has anyone been in this situation before. What do I do? So many question right? I m so confused right now but one thing I know is that I am going to give it all it takes...
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by Tinkybabe(f): 7:07pm On Oct 14, 2013
First things first
She should go to the hospital for a diagnostic test.If they say there's nothing wrong,she should insist on a wide test till they can give a name to what's wrong with her.
The earlier the better!

Secondly,you should calm down and continue reassuring your mum that all is well.Worry kills faster than an actual ailment.
Though I can imagine how you feel..just try to pull yourself together and stop speculating the worst.

Should your worst fear be confirmed(God forbid though!).It still isn't the end of the world,chemotherapy is available and if it hasn't spread a mastectomy could be an option.

Trust me when I say I've been there before,though I wasn't this apprehensive and the whole fear turned out to be fake.

Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by caramel007(f): 7:24pm On Oct 14, 2013
Thanks Tinky. That's the first thing I want her to do. As soon as possible. Infact I would want her to do it tomorrow if possible. But unfortunately she is not based in lagos but I'm planning on bringing her to lagos to do it before d end of d month.

I sincerely hope and pray this turns out to be false. I wish I can stop worrying but its really not easy. It breaks my heart to imagine my mum with her hair falling off.

Thanks a lot !
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by angelTI(f): 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2013
Calm down babe. Pls and Pls, you really need to calm down! Let mummy do the test ASAP.
All is well
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 14, 2013
no need to panic sis. Not all lumps turn out to be cancer, I had a big lump removed from my breast and it wasn't cancerous. First things first take her to the hospital that us your best bet.it is well with your mum.
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by greatgod2012(f): 5:52am On Oct 15, 2013
It is well with you, I had been there before, to make the matter worse, it was when I was still in school, I came home for a break and my mum told me that she's been experiencing pain in one of her bosoms and that she noticed that there is a lump there. Immediately she told me, I just concluded that it was cancer, I cried my eyes out, I was still in school and we weren't financially buoyant, all I was doing was to be crying as I was in great despair, I was thinking she would die without enjoying the fruit of her labour, so I called on our first born and my aunt who calmed me down and took her to the hospital for test and lo and behold, it wasn't what I thought, not cancer, the lump was removed and she has been doing well and fine since then, talking about what happened about 19 years ago, each time I remember my action then, I just make jest of myself.
So, my dear sister, calm down, not all lumps are cancerous, let her go for the test first before conclusion.
Remember, 80% of what we worry about never happen.

Meanwhile, I have this for you:

DON'T BE DISTURBED
DON'T BE FRIGHTENED
EVERYTHING PASSES AWAY, EXCEPT GOD
GOD ALONE IS SUFFICIENT.

1 Like

Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 15, 2013

1 Like

Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by kreamidiva(f): 7:35am On Oct 15, 2013
caramel007: My fellow nairalanders, I need your help, advice, recommendations etc. I intentionally typed in caps cos I m actually screaming my head off right now.

I went to pay my aunt a visit yesterday. She had been asking me to come and see her for sometime now. I had been stalling thinking she wanted to see me concerning marriage issues. So, I finally took the step to go see her on saturday. After the usual pleasantries and the regular "how are you". She called me to her room. She told me my mom has been complaining of having a pain in her breast for sometime now. She said my mum has been to the hospital and she was given antibiotics and painkillers. Which she has taken and the pain is back. I couldn't wrap my head around it as the only thing that came to my mind was one word BREAST. The funny thing was that we (my mum and I) still spoke last thursday and when I enquired about her health she said she was fine. She didn't tell me anything!

I called her there and then and it took some cajoling before she could tell me, I had to tell her that I was with my aunt. She said she didn't want to tell me. She said she noticed the pain since 2011. She said its not a lump and the she cant explain the pain.

I am very scared! I ve not been myself since she told me. I m trying to put up a brave front but deep inside I m shattered. How bad can it get? Why this? Why now? I don't want to lose my mum. I m going to give it all it takes.

What does this mean? How do I go about this, has anyone been in this situation before. What do I do? So many question right? I m so confused right now but one thing I know is that I am going to give it all it takes...

At the bolded,its not a lump.CC has told you the possible causes for this pain.

My mum has lived with this kind of excruciating pain on one breast for God knows how long. She's 60 years now and will live for another 35 years tongue (God willing).

So relax,take her to the hospital and continue praying for her. God will remove every pain in her body.

God bless.....
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by caramel007(f): 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
Thank you everyone. I am so grateful for your comments so far. I think I can worry less now with greatgod, kreamydiva and CC's comments. It feels good to know it might not be serious afterall. But I m definitely going for the mammogram option for her.

I ll appreciate if this can get to the frontpage because I think like me, I think a lot of people are misinformed. Thhey feel everypain in the bosom is a symptom of bosom cancer. And as we know, sometimes worry kill faster. I mean, if the thread about rukky sanda wearing leggings can make front page. I wonder why this can not.
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by thorpido(m): 5:32pm On Oct 15, 2013
^^^Don't worry about front page.The first step is to get her to the hospital and have a test done.
There are many things that can cause pain in the chest ranging from angina pectoris,costochondritis,lung infections,infection of the milk ducts,benign tumour etc.

Start from investigations and then u'll know what the next step is.
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by Yvete(f): 5:42pm On Oct 15, 2013
caramel007: But I m definitely going for the mammogram option for her.

If they're no lumps, I suggest you try to get an ultrasound instead. Though more expensive, ultrasounds are better at detection of abnormalities. I know the scare ... best wishes to your Mum.
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by critique101(f): 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
Take your mum to a teaching hospital. How can a doctor give her pain killer and antibiotics for breast pain?
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
Re: I Hope And Pray That This Is Not Breast Cancer!! by caramel007(f): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
Thank you so much chaircover for going the extra mile of bringing me the above article. I ve really learnt a lot.

My question now is, how much does a mammogramy or ultrasound cost? This is because I need to plan very well for her medical expenses. Your response will be highly appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

You Are Dead To Me! / See How A Couple Transforms Old School Bus Into A Mobile Home (photos) / Hit Or Miss: Checkout The Cake She Made For Someone's Daugther's Birthday.'s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.