Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? (732 Views)

Picture Of The American Missionary Who Was Released By Kidnappers / “Missionary” Is The Only Holy Sexual Position - Pastor Olugbenga Oladejo / Traditionalists Demand Public Holidays, Board, Political Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by Albedo27(m): 11:33am On Oct 15, 2013
Missionary schools today are open for academic activities, despite the public holiday declared by Federal Govt to mark Eid Ui Kabir.

I attended Missionary secondary school and right from then, i have observed this religious anomaly so to say. At that time, when our friends in public schools were at home enjoying the 2 days holiday, we would be in school cracking our brains. Same still goes on today.

I have always thought that public holiday declared by Federal Govt. is binding on every citizen of this country includind the foreigners.

In the Southern part of this country, though i don't know much about the Northern part, Missionary schools go about their normal academic activitiies.
Although Christian Religious public holidays mostly fall within the academic break/vacation as in the case of Easther and Christmas periods, to emphatically say Islamic schools don't also observe the holiday when Christians are celebrating.

Honestly, this mind-boggling question needss your religious or otherwise answer/contributions.
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by ckkris: 11:51am On Oct 15, 2013
Must they?
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2013
Albedo27: Missionary schools today are open for academic activities, despite the public holiday declared by Federal Govt to mark Eid Ui Kabir.

I attended Missionary secondary school and right from then, i have observed this religious anomaly so to say. At that time, when our friends in public schools were at home enjoying the 2 days holiday, we would be in school cracking our brains. Same still goes on today.

I have always thought that public holiday declared by Federal Govt. is binding on every citizen of this country includind the foreigners.

In the Southern part of this country, though i don't know much about the Northern part, Missionary schools go about their normal academic activitiies.
Although Christian Religious public holidays mostly fall within the academic break/vacation as in the case of Easther and Christmas periods, to emphatically say Islamic schools don't also observe the holiday when Christians are celebrating.

Honestly, this mind-boggling question needss your religious or otherwise answer/contributions.

Lol. Dude, I think you are missing something. Public holidays are only binding to Government institutions. Bodies that report directly to the government. Since missionary schools are not government owned, nor driven, you don't expect them to be under any instruction made for government-owned institutions.
You may as well ask why market business people don't go on public holidays.
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. Dude, I think you are missing something. Public holidays are only binding to Government institutions. Bodies that report directly to the government. Since missionary schools are not government owned, nor driven, you don't expect them to be under any instruction made for government-owned institutions.
You may as well ask why market business people don't go on public holidays.
True, and the missionaries on today's matter might not see a need to celebrate this day, they are Christians not Muslims.
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: True, and the missionaries on today's matter might not see a need to celebrate this day, they are Christians not Muslims.
That's a good one. More like celebrating the annivasary of an organization diametrically opposed to yours. That would be delusional.
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
Reyginus: That's a good one. More like celebrating the annivasary of an organization diametrically opposed to yours. That would be delusional.
This debate got happened in my school, we had to have only Good news bibles, attend morning devotions daily, attend wednesday services after school and go to our school church every sunday or you will be flogged or expelled, we had catholics and muslims pulling out in the middle of the year due to the christian rules.

Why go to a missionary school if you know you don't agree with their constitution
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: This debate got happened in my school, we had to have only Good news bibles, attend morning devotions daily, attend wednesday services after school and go to our school church every sunday or you will be flogged or expelled, we had catholics and muslims pulling out in the middle of the year due to the christian rules.

Why go to a missionary school if you know you don't agree with their constitution
I agree with you completely. As long as you were not compelled to register with the school, I think the school rules must be respected.
The only thing I have a problem with is humiliating the student. Like asking a university student, an adult, to kneel in front of the class.
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by kcjazz(m): 12:35pm On Oct 15, 2013
Federal holiday is not binding on private establishments such as Missionary schools. They can so choose or not choose. Whether there reasons are religious, political or financial shouldn't be anyone's concern. I attended a missionary school while we stayed at school, however Muslims were allowed to visit home if their parents requested
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by AK481(m): 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2013
Silverbird galaria and mama nkechi beer parlour also open on sallah.
Re: Why Don't Missionary Schools Observe Muslim Public Holidays? by Albedo27(m): 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2013
ckkris: Must they?
u cn't use question 2 answer question. Anyway, some ppl hv contributed positively

(1) (Reply)

Who Says God Cant Fail. Is Lying Read This / Christian Groups Criticize And Protest Against Calabar Carnival / Faith, Fate, And Fake In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.