Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? (7814 Views)

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 5:15pm On Jun 08, 2006
Yeah why does my pc with Windows XP operating system shut down anytime I am installing some new software?
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Neoteny(m): 5:50pm On Jun 08, 2006
either a virus, or a registry value error, or u just palin doin something wrong, lol
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 6:10pm On Jun 08, 2006
If its a registy value error, how do i rectify it? Thanks!!!
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by zPixel(m): 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2006
try search google for registry repairer
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 11:20am On Jun 09, 2006
Thats helpful lol!!!
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by kenshin(m): 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2006
does it shut down with error messages?
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Drusilla(f): 6:56pm On Jun 09, 2006
Try to make sure that the computer is as cool as possible, blow a fan towards the back of it, especially while you install.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by jek(m): 10:57pm On Jun 09, 2006
some of your system files might be corrupt.re-installing the o/s migth help.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by kiwibabe(f): 12:37pm On Jun 15, 2006
Jalal:

Yeah why does my pc with xp operating system shut down anytime i am installing some new software

Could you please elaborate. Does your system shut down when it is not in use, or when your in the middle of doing something, do you open a lot of files at the same time, Please explain as there could be a number of reasons. Usually they have easy solutions such as my laptop shuts itself down when it is not in use, all that is needed is to adjust a few settings. Sometimes when I download big files they become corrupt and the laptop exits all applications and shuts itself down.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Seun(m): 12:54pm On Jun 15, 2006
I have heard about a virus that causes computers to restart when you try to logout, hibernate, visit the Control Panel, etc (Brontox, I think) so it's not hard to imagine that your problem is due to yet another exotic virus.

Try scanning your PC for viruses and spyware to see if that's the problem. If all else fails, re-install! cheesy
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Ashiwaju(m): 1:49pm On Jun 15, 2006
Well, until you can tell what exactly the error message is before it shuts down, only then would you get a perfect answer for the problem. It could go off 4 one thousand and one reasons.

Please when next its going off, read the error message or atleasts check the error code or describe just what it does before it shuts down. you ll be suprised to see the same problem even after you reinstall!
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by noshaking(f): 2:55pm On Jun 15, 2006
You need to give more details, the error message that comes up before shutting down, the kind of software you are trying to install etc. This will make it easier to know the exact problem and how to resolve it.

If you can get the error message, just copy and paste it in google, you will get more solution to your problem. All the same try and use the firewall on windows XP and also scan your system because shutting down can also be due to virus attack.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by instinct(m): 3:48pm On Jun 15, 2006
u have to be specific, what error message(s) do u get? does the machine power down immediately an installation is initialized or it brings up a BSOD ( Blue Screen Of Death), dumping physical memory , blah blah.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by LiquidMind(m): 4:33pm On Jun 15, 2006
Run a virus patch and update Ur Bios,
it will solve Ur problem.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 7:17pm On Jun 15, 2006
Thank you all for ur suggestions, It doesnt giv any error messages, it just closes down all programs running and shuts down especially when installing new software or running programs from disc,

Maybe its the Brontox virus, cos i see that one often, it just pops up in an explorer window, i'll clean that and see if it solves the problem!!
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by babadee(m): 7:42pm On Jun 15, 2006
Guess your pc is telling you it's got a virus or that needs a baby brother.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by mamaput(f): 8:37pm On Jun 18, 2006
I had that problem once the ventilator was spoiled.
open the back and clean the dust.
If there is too much dust it will not rotate
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by pajimoh(m): 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2006
Go to your control panel click on the energy icon and then check very well that you did not define how many minute or hour it will automatically shut down. if that is correct then only two possibility is left either your hardrive can no longer keep the OS running or you have a Trojan virus that is how they manifest
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Chxta(m): 3:25pm On Jun 26, 2006
You have sasser.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 5:57pm On Jun 26, 2006
Well the problems over, seems it was the Brontox virus, after i got rid of it, the problem doesnt occur anymore, hey thank ya all for your contributions, hope you all learnt something.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:58pm On Jun 26, 2006
just throw away that Computer and get a new and better One lol cheesy
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Rhodalyn(f): 6:01pm On Jun 26, 2006
the problem aint Over Jalal, it will Come again, throw away that Computer shocked grin grin
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 11:45pm On Jun 26, 2006
@Rhoda, theres a lot of sensitive info on that system girl, if i throw it away it could become a threat to national security if in the wrong hands!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by onyegbula(m): 3:38pm On Jun 28, 2006
hello, there are several thing that can cause ur pc shutdown. it could be the memory chip; when infected by virus, could be the pc's power supply bt the main thing that can cause that in winxp is virus via d net. i believe urs starts by 1st showing u a message saying something like "windows is shutting down, all unsaved job will be lost. shut down inisiated by system authority, i cant clearly rem." what u'll do is to install "winxp service pack2 with advanced protection" and while instaling it, disconnect it frm any kind of network, most of all d net. after that go to ur control panel=>performance & maintenance=>administrative tools=> double click on services and scroll down to rpc(remote procedure call) double click on it & select recovery on d 3 options where u'll fiind "restart computer" select "take no action"instead. on all 3 options.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Ashiwaju(m): 4:42pm On Jun 28, 2006
d guy has sorted the prob. end of thread, end of discussion! see cheesy
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Jalal(m): 11:26pm On Jun 28, 2006
Hey the topic doesnt need to end keep on contributing others will learn from it
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by onyegbula(m): 8:33am On Jun 29, 2006
Hello, plz problems in computing does not end. u may think u have d solution 2d problem u have @hand,but u may not. even if u have let others feed frm it. i will also be glad learning frm others' view abt this kind of problem. so, i dnt advice we stop it. ok? & mind u all, 4those using win2000 d same problem has just started shuting down win2000 OS. so u see, we still have it around. thanks.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by hasanu: 6:23pm On Jun 29, 2006
Yes o!!!!!
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Ashiwaju(m): 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2006
Well, since the initial poster has stated that he has some problems and he aswell said he had gotten the solution, whats there to learn again?

Its rather good if someone else would send in anada problem and we all find solutions to it for others to learn.

these talk about letiong others learn? what are we learning when the original problem have been solved? if you must learn, read from the first message till the point where jalal said he has sorted the problem and how he sorted the problem.

And please oyegbula, dont gimme that "plz problems in computing does not end" says who?
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by onyegbula(m): 11:06am On Jun 30, 2006
plz Asiwaju, stop taking things too personal, u r a man. if i say that computing probs does nt end what's wrong with that. if u seem to knw it all in computing then u can as well teach us hw to put an end in computing probs. rem. who ever writes a virus prog, will always perfect it to counter d solution against his virus prog. so that solution may nt be all abt it. & i promise u, i will nt be part of this "winxp shut down" prob talk again.
thanks.
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by Ashiwaju(m): 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2006
onyegbula:

plz Asiwaju, stop taking things too personal, you're a man. if i say that computing probs does nt end what's wrong with that. if u seem to knw it all in computing then u can as well teach us hw to put an end in computing probs. rem. who ever writes a virus prog, will always perfect it to counter d solution against his virus prog. so that solution may nt be all about it. & i promise u, i will nt be part of this "winxp shut down" prob talk again.
thanks.

Hey Man, i am only suggesting that we give way for more problems and solutions here, Man mi, aint taking it personal, we are cool right? if we have got more problems, you could aswell send it here and we see together afterall there is no mr know all, u get?
Re: Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down? by onyegbula(m): 5:15pm On Jul 01, 2006
No problem,thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Games And Accessories For Sale / FIX: Sorry Uptobox.com Not Available In You Country / Post A Screenshot Of Your Desktop.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.