Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? (17700 Views)

Please Convert This US Shoe Sizes To Nigerian Shoe Sizes / A Nairalander Proffers Solution To Epileptic Power & Unemployment As Seen On TV / Swift Networks Acquires Direct On Pc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 5:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
As one of the 500 old timers volunteers selected by Swift Networks for testing their newly deployed 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) technology, I can now say that the solution to sluggish internet speed has come for individual and business users. I honestly hope that this good speed will not be because of just 500 volunteers that are on it. I hope when it is finally released to the whole public, the connection speed will still remain because I have ordered my IPTV from Hong Kong (Aliexpress) to enjoy my TV channels without relying on DSTV and co any more for their limited offerings. I may have to stop my subscription to Coollink YahClick Ka-band satellite internet connection because it is not even near to this speed.

Moreover, the LTE modem was delivered free of charge to me as a tester with 20GB data limit to test it. I opened up the package from UPS courier and discovered that the Swift 4G LTE modem is better than the existing 4G Wimax modem in many parameters. Its wireless LAN is 802.11b/g/n speed unlike previous 802.11g speed of the previous modem. The LTE modem uses embedded and removable Swift Networks USIM card, which means I can remove it and insert other mobile networks' SIM card. I have not tried this though as I suspect Huawei may have locked the modem to Swiftng only. The LTE modem also uses rechargeable battery cells that will make it work without PHCN light when fully charged at least until the battery is depleted/exhausted. Below are the speed test results of the new Swift 4G LTE internet connection. 14.10 Mbps is never seen before in Nigeria, I think.

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by topdee(m): 7:41pm On Oct 15, 2013
what of coverage? and reliability?
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by einsteino(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2013
Nigerians want fast and reliable internet service at an affordable rate. you didnt make mention of the cost for normal users. Most people look for FBT not because they are jobless but because they simply can not afford the present browsing cost. Any network that can provide a FAST and CHEAP internet service would boom like wild fire, because nigerians are waiting for reasonable internet plans and not the nonsense 1month 100mb for 1000naira that EMPTY HEN and co are offering(i wonder what 100mb can do for some one).

3 Likes

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by biodunid: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2013
Prices available at: http://www.swiftng.com/Products/residentialplan

I should be upgrading tomorrow.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 9:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
biodunid: Prices available at: http://www.swiftng.com/Products/residentialplan

Thanks for the update. I did not know that they have already rolled out a payment plan. But I can see that the buying link is not yet enabled because we are still testing it. My testing period shows till October 20. I wish I could finish my free 20GB by then.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 9:31pm On Oct 15, 2013
einsteino: Nigerians want fast and reliable internet service at an affordable rate. you didnt make mention of the cost for normal users. Most people look for FBT not because they are jobless but because they simply can not afford the present browsing cost. Any network that can provide a FAST and CHEAP internet service would boom like wild fire, because nigerians are waiting for reasonable internet plans and not the nonsense 1month 100mb for 1000naira that EMPTY HEN and co are offering(i wonder what 100mb can do for some one).

I gave them same feedback on affordable pricing plan and sustainability of speed when public are latching on to same 4G LTE network connection.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by einsteino(m): 10:00pm On Oct 15, 2013
biodunid: Prices available at: http://www.swiftng.com/Products/residentialplan

the prices are alot cheaper than EMPTY HEN and co. but will still need it in smaller bundles for our smartphones and tabs. maybe 4gb plan for mobile devices at a very affordable rate. Then also you have to work on your coverage and reception
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by einsteino(m): 10:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
just found the smaller bundles on http://www.swiftng.com/Products/Individuallanding

well, its alot cheaper than the regular networks but still not as cheap as it should be.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Gold2NairaCom(m): 8:47am On Oct 16, 2013
I prefer the SWIFT Essential in the Residential plan: http://www3.swiftng.com/Products/Residentiallanding
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 16, 2013
not available in Ilorin... undecided
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 6:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
I am being amazed by the Swift 4G LTE speed again. See the speed for this evening now at 19.23 Mbps.

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by azpekuliar: 9:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
This really looks good enough for online gaming & just in time for the launch of next-gen consoles. But being that, this is a test phase, let's see what happens when the service goes live fully.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by einsteino(m): 5:01am On Oct 17, 2013
azpekuliar: This really looks good enough for online gaming & just in time for the launch of next-gen consoles. But being that, this is a test phase, let's see what happens when the service goes live fully.

i wonder how you are going to use 20gb for online gaming. you need an unlimited data plan for that. stuffs like online gaming are not meant for this part of the world where data is as scarce as gold.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 12:30am On Oct 18, 2013
I was in Swift office this evening and was surprised to see that they have been selling their new LTE modem and swapping for the older 4G Wimax modem also. The network still seems strong even now as I test again and got about 17.04 Mbps.

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by einsteino(m): 6:13am On Oct 18, 2013
can swift be used outside lagos?
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by obinna5000(m): 9:08am On Oct 18, 2013
einsteino: can swift be used outside lagos?

For the meantime, It works only in Lagos.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 18, 2013
Oboy! How much be the modem? I need to buy swift abeg.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Tochi4life: 5:23pm On Oct 18, 2013
Went to swap our Wimax modem with the LTE modem but didn't cos I was told that Unlimited plan is not yet available on the LTE modem I was offered 60GB for 25k but that won't be enough for us. Will wait till they bring the 30k unlimited plan.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 8:23pm On Oct 18, 2013
Tochi4life: Went to swap our Wimax modem with the LTE modem but didn't cos I was told that Unlimited plan is not yet available on the LTE modem I was offered 60GB for 25k but that won't be enough for us. Will wait till they bring the 30k unlimited plan.

Is there unlimited package among the existing 4G Wimax plans at all? I thought they stopped offering anything unlimited with the first roll out of outdoor and initial 4G Wimax to us not beyond 2011? My unlimited plan then used to be N8,400 per month.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Tochi4life: 1:29am On Oct 19, 2013
arbitrage:

Is there unlimited package among the existing 4G Wimax plans at all? I thought they stopped offering anything unlimited with the first roll out of outdoor and initial 4G Wimax to us not beyond 2011? My unlimited plan then used to be N8,400 per month.

we've been using unlimited plan on the 4g wimax for over 3 years now. We used to pay 15k but it rose to 30k in 2011.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Nobody: 1:51am On Oct 19, 2013
I'm posting this pic just for reference, so people can compare and have more reviews. 25.7Mb/s so roughly 3 megabytes per second download.

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 11:48am On Oct 19, 2013
alababaju: I'm posting this pic just for reference, so people can compare and have more reviews. 25.7Mb/s so roughly 3 megabytes per second download.

I guess you are closer to their base station or office than me. Your connection is quite handsomely higher.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 1:11pm On Oct 19, 2013
Today's speed on my side

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by seannopo(m): 6:20pm On Oct 19, 2013
You are still in the testing stage, that's why you are getting such high speed. LTE provisions maximum of 100mb/s/site so if you have 100 people connected to the same site, you will have 1mb/s each. But I know swift won't provision that much bandwidth per site.

For those hoping to do IPTV and gaming over limited connection, u need to think again. Bottom line is if we really want to appreciate internet in nigeria, we must revive nitel and deliver internet over copper cables like other countries do. I know mtn and glo once deployed copper cables in some cities but I don't know what happened to them. I guess they prefer we pay high fees for the data dongles.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by hancock(m): 7:21am On Oct 20, 2013
I hopped into the swift 4G lte bandwagon yesterday. Chose the normadic multi-user hub. I must confess that the speed was quite impressive yesterday night.

seannopo: You are still in the testing stage, that's why you are getting such high speed. LTE provisions maximum of 100mb/s/site so if you have 100 people connected to the same site, you will have 1mb/s each. But I know swift won't provision that much bandwidth per site.

For those hoping to do IPTV and gaming over limited connection, u need to think again. Bottom line is if we really want to appreciate internet in nigeria, we must revive nitel and deliver internet over copper cables like other countries do. I know mtn and glo once deployed copper cables in some cities but I don't know what happened to them. I guess they prefer we pay high fees for the data dongles.
true story.cable deployment from home to home is the only sure way of achieving cheap and unlimited internet speed across the nation
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by jamace(m): 8:14am On Oct 20, 2013
obinna5000:

For the meantime, It works only in Lagos.
Na wa o. cheesy
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
hancock: I hopped into the swift 4G lte bandwagon yesterday. Chose the normadic multi-user hub. I must confess that the speed was quite impressive yesterday night.

true story.cable deployment from home to home is the only sure way of achieving cheap and unlimited internet speed across the nation
lwkmd dis one say cable from home 2 home. Nairalanders sef.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 9:28am On Oct 22, 2013
Today's speed from my side:

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by Tochi4life: 10:58am On Oct 22, 2013
Went to their Saka Tinubu office this morning and was told they've ran out of the LTE modems/routers.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by arbitrage: 12:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Tochi4life: Went to their Saka Tinubu office this morning and was told they've ran out of the LTE modems/routers.

Yes, I got their sms and email about 2 days ago saying that they did not expect that the rush for the LTE would be as far as it is now, which made them ran out of stocks. Therefore, the message said their supply will be available tomorrow with resumption of swapping old modems for the new LTE starting on Thursday this week. So be on look out for that.
Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by orgasticdance: 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
their new plans still leave me feeling underwhelmed. what's the point of increasing speed when they are still rolling out capped plans? just to make us exhaust our plans quicker and shell out more abi? Nothing for a download junkie like me? On cobranet i was downloading nearly 100gigs a month in movies on their monthly plan which makes u browse free between 12am and 6am. its amazing that with a population as big as ours affordable and uncapped internet still isnt a foregone conclusion...

1 Like

Re: Swift Networks 4G LTE: Solution To Nigerian Sluggish Internet Connections? by fortunejum: 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
Do they have service in Port Harcourt?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Plummets To All-time Low Of 472/dollar / Nigerians Criticise CBN’s Reliance On Dangote Refinery To Fix Naira’s Free Fall / Photography Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.