Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Project Management - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Project Management (28911 Views)

How Relevant Is Project Management Certificate In Nigeria / How Does Enterprise Risk Management Apply To Project Management? / Project Management Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Project Management by prosper(m): 12:42pm On May 03, 2005
I have been doing some search on Project management but haven't been very successfull.
I will Appreciate any good link to article(s).

Thanks in advance.
Re: Project Management by Adecrown: 12:57pm On May 03, 2005
Visit the following web site for issues of project management
http://www.pmi.org/info/default.asp

Happy Surfing

Adecrown
shocked grin grin grin rolleyes
Re: Project Management by nferyn(m): 11:05am On Sep 01, 2005
What exactly is your purpose?

I'm employed as Project Management Coach & Project Officer

If you can be a little more specific I may help
Re: Project Management by lioness(f): 10:27am On Feb 06, 2006
what is project management all about anyway
Re: Project Management by LoverBwoy(m): 9:22pm On Nov 30, 2006
managing a project any kind of project,  managing human resources, finance, and the likes to meet a deadline specification-quality and cost.

im doing a module that involves project management

nferyn:

What exactly is your purpose?

I'm employed as Project Management Coach & Project Officer

If you can be a little more specific I may help

are you site on this site mate?
Re: Project Management by nferyn(m): 9:48pm On Nov 30, 2006
LoverBwoy:

managing a project any kind of project, managing human resources, finance, and the likes to meet a deadline specification-quality and cost.
The best place to start is by going through the PMI materials.
If you want to, I can send you the latest version of the PMBoK
I'm currently employed at a bank that wants to introduce the Prince2 PM methodology company-wide. Prince2 scales easier than PMI to all kinds of projects and the continuous focus on business justification really drives conrete achievements.

LoverBwoy:

im doing a module that involves project management
That's a bit low on info. Can you give some more context?

LoverBwoy:

are you site on this site mate?
Not for long anymore (today, that is)
Re: Project Management by LoverBwoy(m): 9:51pm On Nov 30, 2006
hey long time
ive heard of that prince2 you mentioned, ive got a long way to go but im considering a career in that field
im currently trying to get some placemnt with Arup or any other engineering firm
im studying engineering with project managent  cheesy
Re: Project Management by nferyn(m): 12:28am On Dec 02, 2006
LoverBwoy:

hey long time
ive heard of that prince2 you mentioned, ive got a long way to go but im considering a career in that field
Actually Prince2 is mainly used in IT and less in engineering. They usually take a more structured and rigid approach and Project Management is far more mature in engineering than in IT. It really can get a genuine field of study in it's own right more than a simple management approach. I've been taught scheduling practices and algoritms by PM-engineers and it would be folly to apply these techniques in the immature management environment of IT, where a more basic, fundamental approach is needed.

LoverBwoy:

im currently trying to get some placemnt with Arup or any other engineering firm
Get into the game and familiarise yourself with one of the main PM software packages (Artemis, Primavera or Open Plan come to mind). Study Earned Value Management and get into formal Risk Analysis (you could try factored risk in combination with EVA and you'll have a reasonable level of control over your project(s).

LoverBwoy:

im studying engineering with project managent cheesy
Good luck, it can be a very interesting and challenging field. Above all, don't neglect your people management skills
Re: Project Management by LoverBwoy(m): 12:46am On Dec 02, 2006
Thanks, im enjoying the course so far and my people management skills are fine
Im interested in the engineering aspect more though my tutor think is should keep my options open for now
i've just installed the microsoft office project software - got to start somewhere

Have you got any experience in engineering/construction as a project officer?
Re: Project Management by nferyn(m): 1:11am On Dec 02, 2006
LoverBwoy:

Thanks, im enjoying the course so far and my people management skills are fine
As long as you're aware of your fallibility, they grow with the years as well wink

LoverBwoy:

I'm interested in the engineering aspect more though my tutor think is should keep my options open for now
I think your tutor is right

LoverBwoy:

i've just installed the microsoft office project software - got to start somewhere
MS Project can teach you a lot of wrong habbits (e.g. imposing non-existing relationships between tasks, linking up sumary tasks, etc). Better learn to plan on paper first and do your early/late date calculations manually. It will teach you to plan rigorously and focus on constructing your WBS in the proper manner. Once you're comfortable with that, you can start using a specific software.
I once followed a course on Open Plan and the first two days we didn't even touch the computer. Probably one of the best courses I ever attended.

LoverBwoy:

Have you got any experience in engineering/construction as a project officer?
No, I'm just one of these weenies that rode the wave of the dotcom bubble grin
Re: Project Management by LoverBwoy(m): 3:54am On Dec 02, 2006
ive learnt the gantt chart and other paper basics in my early terms,
i just installed the office project as a starting point since its the most basic one the tutor mentioned
i don't know if i will be able to get my hands on the proper ones they use in industry yet; even then i'll need some proper training
Re: Project Management by Tmoni(m): 3:29pm On Dec 02, 2006
i am doing a masters degree in project management and its ok , i want to enquire about the most common used software in industry(consteuction, procurement, PPP, financial institutions) so i engage it adequately.

would appreciate it, email addy--de_tayomartins@yahoo,com or 0609002@rgu.ac.uk
Re: Project Management by sholatech(m): 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2006
Hi Nferyn,
If Possible, I wont mind having the latest version of the PMBoK.Can you send it to me?I want to eventually have
Prince2 PM Certification and im happy i can have a good guide like you!
Re: Project Management by nferyn(m): 8:19pm On Dec 06, 2006
Official Prince2 manual:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/RTTKxToBoxN5TA%3D%3D
PMBok (version 2002):
http://download.yousendit.com/E3C448386B6EEC41
Mind you PMI and Prince2 are vastly different methodologies (and I prefer Prince2 for IT projects)
Re: Project Management by ObaMan(m): 9:58am On Dec 07, 2006
hey Nferyn,
Thanks for the assistance so far?
how far does Project management take u?
How far have u gone in it?
Re: Project Management by Labans(m): 10:12am On Dec 07, 2006
Lesson Number One
A crow was sitting on a tree, doing nothing all day.
A small rabbit saw the crow, and asked him, "Can I also sit like you and do nothing all day long?"
The crow answered: "Sure, why not."
So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the crow, and rested. All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate it.
Management Lesson: To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.
Lesson Number Two
A turkey was chatting with a bull.
"I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree," sighed the turkey, "but I haven't got the energy.
"Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull. "They're packed with nutrients."
The turkey pecked at a lump of dung and found that it actually gave him enough strength to reach the first branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fortnight, there he was proudly perched at the top of the tree. Soon he was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot the turkey out of the tree.
Management Lesson: Bullshit might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there.
Lesson Number Three
When the body was first made, all the parts wanted to be Boss. The brain said,
"I should be Boss because I control the whole body's responses and functions."
The feet said, “We should be Boss as we carry the brain about and get him to where he wants to go."
The hands said, "We should be the Boss because we do all the work and earn all the money."
And so it went on and on with the heart, the lungs and the eyes until finally the asshole spoke up. All the parts laughed at the idea of the asshole being the Boss. So the asshole went on strike, blocked itself up and refused to work. Within a short time the eyes became crossed, the hands clenched, the feet twitched, the heart and lungs began to panic and the brain fevered. Eventually they all decided that the asshole should be the Boss, so the motion was passed. All the other parts did all the work while the Boss just sat and passed out the shit!
Management Lesson: You don't need brains to be Boss, any asshole will do!
Lesson Number Four
A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold, the bird froze and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him!
Management Lessons:
Not everyone who drops shit on you is your enemy.
Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend.
When you're in deep shit, keep your mouth shut!
shocked

4 Likes

Re: Project Management by nferyn(m): 7:30pm On Dec 08, 2006
ObaMan:

hey Nferyn,
Thanks for the assistance so far?
My pleasure

ObaMan:

how far does Project management take u?
What do you mean? As far as you want it to take you, as long as you've got the skills.

ObaMan:

How far have u gone in it?
I'm currently working as PM and process coach annex Project Officer for the Merchant Banking Pillar of the largest Belgian bank, Fortis. We're currently moving the organisation over to Prince2 and want to become CMMI level 2 for the complete Fortis organisation while implementing a new Portfolio/Project/Programme/Demand Management software (CA's Clarity & Open Workbench). Once that goal is achieved, I'm going to function in a Project and Process Quality Assurance role where we'll strive to increase our CMMI level. After that, no clue wink
Re: Project Management by cuppcakke(f): 5:51pm On Dec 13, 2006
Hi Nferyn,

Can you please send the Prince2 manual again,the link u posted has expired.better still can u please send it to my box cherrypie26us@yahoo.com,thanks a bunch!
Re: Project Management by sewa(m): 10:26am On May 24, 2007
Hi lebans

i hope others read your chart on the project management i enjoy the last coment

Management Lessons:
Not everyone who drops shit on you is your enemy.
Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend.
When you're in deep shit, keep your mouth shut!
can you post more keep it on cheesy cheesy wink wink
Re: Project Management by skybaba(m): 11:57am On May 28, 2007
While Project Management is very good, I believe you'll achieve more and feel more fulfilled if you're working in a field you love.
For example, I work in IT, if I decide to go into PM, I would feel more fulfilled if the projects I'm managing are IT-oriented.

Lately, I've done some work for some Non-Technical Project Managers, and I must say, it's a bit difficult cosc they're not technical people.

For example, lest say I've designed a network for a customer and decided that certain equipment would suit the customer best, based on their needs. Because the project manager is trying to work within given timelines and with a limited budget he may not agree.

So my advice would be don't just go into Project Management, build a career alongside so your can make relevant and informed decisions.

Also if you're based in Naija or the U.K, you should go for PRINCE2 rather than PMI. PMI is very good, but the U.K uses PRINCE2 Methodologies, and Naija seems to be following suit.

Have a Lovely Swearing-In Ceremony tomorrow Guys!!!!

Skybaba
Re: Project Management by saknel: 1:42pm On Jun 11, 2007
HI nferyn, i was wondering if your bank is recruiting project managers or if you have any info about any company that is recruiting, i have the prince2 foundation certificate and im also PMP,
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 6:08pm On Jun 13, 2007
@skybaba,

I beg to disagree with you that people in naija should go for prince2. Prince2 is just IT tailored and does not mean that it is more acceptable. PMI is more mature and detailed (though some times, gets too detailed)

I agree that prince2 is the baba in UK but definitely not in naija. I stand to be corrected.

Cheers
Re: Project Management by ijogbon(m): 6:52pm On Jun 13, 2007
I would appreciate any links on finding work in Project management in Naij or the UK.
I heard GTB might be recruiting project managers?
Re: Project Management by bebe4u(f): 9:34am On Jun 14, 2007
The best place to start is by going through the PMI materials.
If you want to, I can send you the latest version of the PMBoK
I'm currently employed at a bank that wants to introduce the Prince2 PM methodology company-wide. Prince2 scales easier than PMI to all kinds of projects and the continuous focus on business justification really drives conrete achievements.

Nferyn, thanks for these guidelines, i work as a project planning and controls engineer in an oil firm, i deal with challenging issues every day about project management, and i intend to be a certified PMP before the year is out, but my problem is time as i have to move about all the time. plss could u send me the Pmbok and the Prince2 materials to my mail box.chiebitu@yahoo.com. ill be greatful, pls include anyother info i might need, as im applying for project management positions now.
Re: Project Management by bebe4u(f): 9:46am On Jun 14, 2007
@ skanel

Abeg bros or na babe u be, please where did u get your prince 2 pm and pmp certification from? i know of a consulting firm in lagos (proconsult) that i attended with project managemnt courses with and they claim they are the only certified body from PMI maryland for pmp certification. but their prices is at the roof top. ill appreciate so much if u assist me the the info and cost (asap) , in fact all the details i need to know and probably follow suit. i really need it, im a project planning/ controls engineer in an oil firm and that tool will help a sister a lot.my email is chiebitu@yahoo.com.
thanks pal
Re: Project Management by bebe4u(f): 9:49am On Jun 14, 2007
@ nferyn, my correct email is chiebitu@yahoo.com.
thanks
Re: Project Management by saknel: 10:11am On Jun 14, 2007
Anyone intreasted in training for PMP Exams can send an email to babsjonah@yahoo.com for enquiries
Re: Project Management by ijogbon(m): 11:49am On Jun 14, 2007
@bebe4u
I am PRINCE2 certified already.
Please could you say which bank that is?
I am currently working in the UK in Marketing Consulting and would be relocating to Naij soon.
my email is - dunhayes@yahoo.com, i would appreciate any details.
Thanks.
Re: Project Management by Kashif(m): 12:21pm On Jun 14, 2007
@babe4u,

I have sent the Prince2 material to your box. The PMBOK (Project Management Body Of Knowledge) is too large and could not go.

Where are you based? This could help in directing you where to get the PMI mandatory training. Don't mind those people; any certified PMP can train you. Thats the rule.

If you need more help that I can handle, you could reply through my addy. Cheers.
Re: Project Management by Guardian(m): 2:01pm On Jun 14, 2007
My Brothers and sisters,
I am geared towards Project management line as my job demands it as well as the future. But  I need exam center and to know cost for this in Lagos or Naija  in general. Most of the  companies offering Project management training and money hunters. They make PMP more expensive than an MBA.

Pls advise urgent help needed.

Also i require same with Supply Chain management any one knows of any in Nigeria concerned with this ?

my email remains ameonthenet@gmail.com
Re: Project Management by saknel: 3:00pm On Jun 14, 2007
Hi Guardian, mail babsjonah@yahoo.com for enquries on pmp training
Re: Project Management by ZIMBA(m): 3:13pm On Jun 14, 2007
@ kashif.
Pls can you send me the stuff you have for project management also?
you can aslo send the PMBok through the Yousendit, i have an account there.
I work on the island, if you can direct me to where i can get some PMI training.
tanx man,

My e-mail address: oluwakayode07@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Fired. How Do I Cope With The Emotional Trauma? / "Nigeria Has Failed You If You Are A Graduate Earning Less Than 200K Monthly" / Mtn Salary For Fresher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.