Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,102 members, 7,807,314 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? (2191 Views)

Christians, How Often Do You Read The Bible? / Intimate Temptations, Christians How Do You Cope? / Catholic Christians, How Much Do You Know Your Faith?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:01am On Oct 16, 2013
Yesterday, there was a vigil programme very close to my hood. Prior to the main prayer service, there were series of song (worship and praise) that caught my attention. The lady on the microphone had a sweet melody voice, it mixed perfectly with the person on piano. Since the speaker was audible enough at night, I noticed every bit of sound and was shaking my head on bed in acceptance to the song playing.

After about one hour, a man voice was heard....the way he talked indicate he is either the pastor or minister. The person is a yoruba and speak fluently with yoruba and an interpreter flowing alongside with him. I noticed he didn't preach before the drive the whole congregation into prayer. Unfortunately for me, I got glued to the whole scene since I was expecting more music.

From the interpreter, the theme of the vigil was "revolking against the power of the dark". The so called pastor read directly a verse saying 'christian aint fighting with physical person but against the spirit bla bla bla'. The whole talk continued on satan. The man was remixing on how satan rebel, how he is evil and how he want to draw christians to hell fire. The problem I had with this service was from the leading man (pastor who spoke in yoruba) calling satan Eshu. I was like, is this old man ignorant of whom Eshu is or he just want to mislead the congregate in the sense of demonizing Yoruba Orisa? The man also was reading from yoruba translated bible.... I begin to ponder on how bible can hold up this ground of lies. Further more, the man was using Olorun Olodumare in place of Lord God....

He dived the congregate toward witches and wizards. Here he was calling them Aje. He claimed they operate in the middle of the night cuz they work on dark powers. He claimed Aje fly and are agent of Eshu. I was like which Aje is flying? When does witch become Aje? The worse condition was that this man was reading his own version which contain this misconceptions and lies.

The worst part was when he mentioned Ogboni. He claimed Ogboni is a secret society organised by Satan to wage war on saved human. He claimed in Ogboni cult, members are possessed by demons and their motive is destroying mankind. I was really suprised when he quote the bible to back his point. He read directly from Ezekiel 23:23 which contain something like Ogboni. Even though I had been at peace with previous gilberish rant, I couldn't eat the Ogboni shiit anymore. Since he quote a bible verse, I determined to check it out myself. I dont have Yoruba translation with me so I ran to my mum room, picked her bible and read through. Ogboni and some emperor waged war against Israel. I was like how does this relate with Ogboni frat which was founded 1918? How does this frat got to bible or any relation with babylon and Assyria? When did Ogboni become dark agents destroying mankind?

Oh my God....I was listening to these lies about 2am. I quickly put an end to it....got my earpiece on and listened to some fela song. I know very well yoruba people are tolerant.....it cant turn to war or fight if any Ogboni or Orisa practitioner overheard this sermon but lets think of what might happen when you push something to limit.

To all christians, how do you deal with this lies, errors and misconception in Yoruba translated Bible? Was Jehovah asleep when Ajayi crowther (foolish lost slave) was translating this lies? Where was holy spirit inspiration that allow this error to delve into word of Jehovah? Everyday you guys go about ranting holiness and holy book....can Yoruba bible be holy with lies and misconception?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Heliesha: 9:15am On Oct 16, 2013
first of all how old ar you? @ o.p wait u said all through am still about to make sense of it
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Omexonomy: 9:22am On Oct 16, 2013
Op you don come again wentin you chop wey dey make you run ur mouth anyhow.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:24am On Oct 16, 2013
Heliesha: first of all how old ar you? @ o.p wait u said all through am still about to make sense of it

Im older than when I was born.

Try read again with your brain fully on, then you will find some sense in the OP.

What are lies, errors and misconceptions doing in Yoruba bible? How do you deal with these unholy junk in holy bible?
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Omexonomy: Op you don come again wentin you chop wey dey make you run ur mouth anyhow.

I eat and digest wisdom.

Why are you eating the lies your pastor and christian missionary cooked?
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by macof(m): 9:38am On Oct 16, 2013
The thing that hurts be most about Yoruba Christians is the way they call Orisha Eshu Satan. In Yoruba belief, Eshu is the most loyal servant to Olodumare, Eshu never does anything contrary to wat Olodumare has sent him, not one more not one less.

The satan of the Bible is rebellious against Yahweh, he is tagged as the bringer of evil(tho Yahweh is the actual bringer of evil, satan is just a figure head).

Ajayi was kidnapped by fulani at 12 yrs old thereabouts and sold to the Portuguese, he became a Christian came back to Yorubaland and began evangelizing.

He was the first person to use Yoruba alphabets and translated the English Bible to Yoruba.

This was a mistake, because that Bible as brought nothing but disregard and disrepute for Yoruba belief.

Imagine the old hag calling Eshu- satan, why didn't he call Orunmila or Obatala- Jesus? It was a deliberate attempt to paint the Yoruba religion as evil, because Eshu amongst the strongest, most honored Orisha.

He used Jesu as a Yoruba word for Jesus, he used Emi mimo as a Yoruba word for holy spirit but when it came to the evil characters of the Bible he used original Yoruba words like Eshu for satan, Aje for witch and many more

He could have used Irunmole or Ori for Holy spirit, but NO!
He could have used Satani for satan, but No!
He could have used Ajogun for demons and witches, but No

He deliberately planned on using Yoruba words for the evil characters and form his own for the good characters, implying that Yoruba had nothing good.

I wonder what made him use olorun as God, he should have formed a new word like he did with Jesus and Holy spirit.

Any intelligent person would realize Ajayi's fraud/mistake.

Iya leye or Iya Agbaye could be the original Yoruba word for witch but not in an all evil manner.

Awon Iya Agbaye means the old mothers of life

They are neutral so they punish when they are offended, they hardly forgive but they bless when you do them good, they guide you from the Ajogun when you are respectful to them.

They are mostly old looking and live very long

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Chaleeee: 9:43am On Oct 16, 2013
There is a lot of mis-interpretation in the yoruba bible. This can be attributed to the translator, late bishop Ajayi Crowther. Permit me to state that Crowther was kidnapped nd sold into slavery at a tender age of 14 and it can be assumed that his knowledge of yoruba language is limited. Or how do you explain Crowther interpreting "satan" as "esu"? Why didn't he interprete "manna" as "garri"?
In the academia, a previous work is open to upgrade and there are many intepretations of the english bible. Why hasn't any yoruba scholar offered a new interpretation of the bible in yoruba?

Back to the matter, intsilling fear in their congregation is the stock in trade of many Yoruba pastors. They are the most superstitous folks on earth.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:53am On Oct 16, 2013
Chaleeee: There is a lot of mis-interpretation in the yoruba bible. This can be attributed to the translator, late bishop Ajayi Crowther. Permit me to state that Crowther was kidnapped nd sold into slavery at a tender age of 14 and it can be assumed that his knowledge of yoruba language is limited. Or how do you explain Crowther interpreting "satan" as "esu"? Why didn't he interprete "manna" as "garri"?
In the academia, a previous work is open to upgrade and there are many intepretations of the english bible. Why hasn't any yoruba scholar offered a new interpretation of the bible in yoruba?

Back to the matter, intsilling fear in their congregation is the stock in trade of many Yoruba pastors. They are the most superstitous folks on earth.

@ the first bold....it a funny fact. Lol

@ the second bold....I suggest the Yoruba leaders do something urgent before our language, culture and spirituality are destroyed by this evil fraudsters. This doesn't limit to bible....nollywood is damn host of this stupidity. They mostly depict babalawo as evil person and pastors as good person.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by ypeace: 10:38am On Oct 16, 2013
Its a pity the damage has already been done. Sincerely, i was shocked when i learnt about the true nature of esu and co. An average religious yoruba man is not likely to accept an explanation and may never follow you to read from ese Ifa to support your claim because these lies has been repeated from generation to generation to the point that it is the truth to many. It is just too sad.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
ypeace: Its a pity the damage has already been done. Sincerely, i was shocked when i learnt about the true nature of esu and co. An average religious yoruba man is not likely to accept an explanation and may never follow you to read from ese Ifa to support your claim because these lies has been repeated from generation to generation to the point that it is the truth to many. It is just too sad.

What I expected from the Christians on this thread was to ask question or provide a tangible explanation. Why such a verse was used in the first place. Since we have revised version bible, why Yoruba bible scholar cant correct this error and lies. Secondly, why would a pastor not investigate more on an issue like Ogboni he wanted to talk about?

And who ever called Esu the Satan in the bible shows a deep level of ignorance about himself especially if such a person is Yoruba.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 16, 2013
Esu means devil in yoruba xtianity.Satani is used for satan.I guess Ajayi Crowther wanted different yoruba variants for both names,hence the use of esu.I wonder why he didnt think of defili or something like that.The damage has been done already;xtians believe the ancient deities were/are all demons.Hence,they'll forever justify the wrong translation.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
Beretta92: Esu means devil in yoruba xtianity. Satani is used for satan.I guess Ajayi Crowther wanted different yoruba variants for both names,hence the use of esu.I wonder why he didnt think of defili or something like that.The damage has been done already;xtians believe the ancient deities were/are all demons.Hence,they'll forever justify the wrong translation.

@ bold. which one is Yoruba christianity again?

On other part of your post, in as much this error, lies and misconception exist in bible and it been used for preaching in church.....it mean bible is not holy book, christianity is a fraud and christians are brainwashed puppets
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

@ bold. which one is Yoruba christianity again?

On other part of your post, in as much this error, lies and misconception exist in bible and it been used for preaching in church.....it mean bible is not holy book, christianity is a fraud and christians are brainwashed puppets

Na wa ok no be u tok Yoruba Christians?
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
aManFromMars:

Christians who are yoruba....

My OP got nothing to do with Igbo or Hausa christians.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
aManFromMars:

help me tell am o.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Christians who are yoruba....

My OP got nothing to do with Igbo or Hausa christians.
I also meant christianity as practised by yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Ayomivic(m): 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
macof: The thing that hurts be most about Yoruba Christians is the way they call Orisha Eshu Satan. In Yoruba belief, Eshu is the most loyal servant to Olodumare, Eshu never does anything contrary to wat Olodumare has sent him, not one more not one less.

The satan of the Bible is rebellious against Yahweh, he is tagged as the bringer of evil(tho Yahweh is the actual bringer of evil, satan is just a figure head).

Ajayi was kidnapped by fulani at 12 yrs old thereabouts and sold to the Portuguese, he became a Christian came back to Yorubaland and began evangelizing.

He was the first person to use Yoruba alphabets and translated the English Bible to Yoruba.

This was a mistake, because that Bible as brought nothing but disregard and disrepute for Yoruba belief.

Imagine the old hag calling Eshu- satan, why didn't he call Orunmila or Obatala- Jesus? It was a deliberate attempt to paint the Yoruba religion as evil, because Eshu amongst the strongest, most honored Orisha.

He used Jesu as a Yoruba word for Jesus, he used Emi mimo as a Yoruba word for holy spirit but when it came to the evil characters of the Bible he used original Yoruba words like Eshu for satan, Aje for witch and many more

He could have used Irunmole for Holy spirit, but NO!
He could have used Satani for satan, but No!
He could have used Ajogun for demons and witches, but No

He deliberately planned on using Yoruba words for the evil characters and form his own for the good characters, implying that Yoruba had nothing good.

I wonder what made him use olorun as God, he should have formed a new word like he did with Jesus and Holy spirit.

Any intelligent person would realize Ajayi's fraud/mistake.

Aje which ajayi used as witches is not a witch but an Orisha, the Orisha of wealth and trade.

Iya leye or Iya Agbaye could be the original Yoruba word for witch but not in an all evil manner.

Awon Iya Agbaye means the old mothers of life

They are neutral so they punish when they are offended, they hardly forgive but they bless when you do them good, they guide you from the Ajogun when you are respectful to them.

They are mostly old looking and live very long

which part of yoruba land you came from. Sorry for you. May be you are an ajebutter because what you and op said here about Esu and Aje was wrong. Let me ask you these questions. Can you tell me the source of yoruba power,the magics and incantations?

Do yot know why they hail Esu as Onile orita, obelekun sunkun, Elekun sunkun Laroye suneje?

who did yoruba attributes evil to? Was it not Esu? How is it different to Chrstian Satan?

Aje (witch) and Aje (what trade will brings) are thesame word but different pronounciation and different meaning.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by Ayomivic(m): 9:42pm On Oct 16, 2013
Chaleeee: There is a lot of mis-interpretation in the yoruba bible. This can be attributed to the translator, late bishop Ajayi Crowther. Permit me to state that Crowther was kidnapped nd sold into slavery at a tender age of 14 and it can be assumed that his knowledge of yoruba language is limited. Or how do you explain Crowther interpreting "satan" as "esu"? Why didn't he interprete "manna" as "garri"?

let hear your own interpretation of satan in yoruba if Ajayi Crowder was wrong.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by macof(m): 9:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ayomivic:

which part of yoruba land you came from. Sorry for you. May be you are an ajebutter because what you and op said here about Esu and Aje was wrong. Let me ask you these questions. Can you tell me the source of yoruba power,the magics and incantations?

Do yot know why they hail Esu as Onile orita, obelekun sunkun, Elekun sunkun Laroye suneje?

who did yoruba attributes evil to? Was it not Esu? How is it different to Chrstian Satan?

Aje (witch) and Aje (what trade will brings) are thesame word but different pronounciation and different meaning.
First am ekiti,

And am nt wrong about Eshu, pls unless u are a Yoruba pagan I can't take your concept of Eshu seriously

I have never seen Aje being referred to as anything other than the Orisha of trade.

Unless in Yoruba movies where they call witch Aje, but these same movies call Eshu Satan, so I can't really take them seriously
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:31am On Oct 17, 2013
Ayomivic:

which part of yoruba land you came from. Sorry for you. May be you are an ajebutter because what you and op said here about Esu and Aje was wrong.

Sorry for yourself o ye lost soul wandering in the wilderness of ignorance. What conception was wrong in the OP? Is it that Eshu is Satan of bible which you cant provide evidence for backing it up or it Aje are flying human and witch of bible which you cant defend?

Ayomivic:

Let me ask you these questions. Can you tell me the source of yoruba power,the magics and incantations?

Are you really sure you Yoruba? Pls drop your church fraud, misconception and fear mongering pictures when dealing with other folks. Yoruba power is the manifestation of natural forces within the planes of universe. And get this fact straight.... magic is trickery physics. When you know all this thang, it become skills and you practise them. This is not faith and endless prayer. This is work which yield result.

Oh ya...you holding unto incantation. Pls go and research on sound energy and how it can be used. Then delve that into spirituality.

And finally, the source of this is ancient intelligence.

Ayomivic:

Lol. You clamouring on thing you dont know. Let me educate you before you go out there to embarrass yourself.

Eshu mean "divine messenger." Eshu Odara means "divine messenger of transformation." Esu is the force that transforms knowledge into action in the physical and spiritual realms. He is the karmic enforcer who simply provides the effect of your actions, good or bad. He is the principle of chaos, change and transformation. But more importantly, he is also the imparter of Ase; the holder of Ase. Esu is "born" in Odu Ose Otura. Read Ose Otura corpus for more understanding.

Another important part of understanding Esu is his relationship with Orunmila. Divination cannot take place without Esu's participation. He can limit the actions of the negative forces (knowledge he shared with Orunmila) as well as bring the blessings of the white (positive) orisa to humans. The energy of Esu is intuitional (read more here), masculine, and autonomous. Like all Orisa, and energy itself, Esu is both positive and negative. Many focus on the negative aspects of Esu. Those of a higher consciousness will focus on the positive.

Now lets check his Oriki:

Esu, Esu Odara, Esu lanlu ogirioko. Okunrin ori ita, a jo langa langa lalu

Divine Messenger, Divine Messenger of Transformation, Divine Messenger speak with power. Man of the crossroads, dance to the drum.

A rin lanja lanja lalu. Ode ibi ija de mole. Ija ni otaru ba d’ele ife.

Tickle the toe of the drum. Move beyond strife. Strife is contrary to the Spirits of the Invisible Realm.

To fi de omo won. Oro Esu, to to to akoni. Ao fi ida re lale.

Unite the unsteady feet of weaning children. The word of the Divine Messenger is always respected. We shall use your sword to touch the earth.

Bara l’abelekun sunkun ki eru o ba elekun. Bi elekun ba n sokun, Laaroye a ma sun eje

Bara is the one who weeps with those weeping and they will be frightened by the time they see Divine chief weeping blood

Esu ma se mi o. Esu ma se mi o. Esu ma se mi o.

Divine Messenger, do not confuse me. X3

Omo elomiran ni ko lo se. Pa ado asubi da. No ado asure si wa.

Let someone else be confused. Turn my suffering around. Give me the blessing of the calabash.

That is Eshu for you, an Orisa that overdoes things in a swift and frightening way… a prankster.

^^^^ your quest answered.

Ayomivic:

Yoruba people did not attribute evil to any specific Orisa. Every forces or Energies have two polarities according to the law of polarities........positive and negative. Good example is Sango (electric force)...it has both positive field and negative field.

Now answer this question....is fire impacting on us negatively or positively? Your choice bro.

Nowhere is Eshu related to your bible satan....tell pastor to remix new lies.

Ayomivic:

wasting much energy on ya is real not worthy......you brainwashed to void and now operating on European programme. Do yourself a favor and read about Aje here.

Will fully await your response on how Eshu is Satan.
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:07am On Oct 17, 2013
Ayomivic:
let hear your own interpretation of satan in yoruba if Ajayi Crowder was wrong.

Eshu is the gatekeeper between the realms of man and gods, the tangled lines of force that make up the cosmic interface, and his sign is the crossroads while Satan of Bible is a rebel of God sent/thrown down from heaven. (why cant omniscient God know his agent will rebel against him?)

Yoruba add his name to the prefix of their children at birth e.g. EshuBiyi, EshuTunde, Eshugbayi. Even devotees of Esu bear names like Esuyemi, Esukayode, Esubunmi, Esukorede, Esuyomi, Esufunmike, Esufunmilade, Esuwemimo, Esutoosin, esutola, Esujide, Esutunde, Esutunmise, Esurinde, Esufunmilayo and so on. Esu festival is celebrated every year. Alternate is the case for Satan of the bible....nobody bears name after him...even jesus and Jehovah was not named after anybody.

Got anything next? If you dont pls show us relation and why they are same
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
Talk to those who speak or claim Yoruba (as an ethnicity) and they will quickly tell you that “God” in their language is expressed by the following words:

Olorun
Oluwa
Eledumare
Olodumare

They will also tell you that “devil” in their language is Esu. These words, when broken down, are a far cry from the Christian God/Devil as we will explore later.

However, we must label the source of this confusion to none other than the Missionary Samuel Ajayi Crowther http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Ajayi_Crowther and his Christian father, John C. Raban. Crowther was the victim of Muslim slave raiders who, under pressure from European slave raiders, sold his family into the slave trade. This would have a definitive effect on Crowther and his appreciation of Christianity in relations to African spirituality. He obviously favored Christianity since he mislabeled Esu as the Devil and God as Olorun, Oluwa, Eledumare, and Olodumare. For a better explanation of how Crowther took Revenge upon the Africans he came to evangelize read the following http://saharareporters.com/article/esu-revenge-bishop-ajayi-crowther.

·The word Olorun, while presented as the Christian God is merely a description of the Christian God in the Yoruba language. When broken down, the word is Olo-Orun – Olo means “owner” while Orun means “sky”. This means that upon hearing the descriptions of the faux monotheist Christian God from missionaries, the Yoruba speakers came up with this description.

·The word Oluwa is also used by many Yoruba speakers to mean God. However, when broken down it is Olu-Owa/Wa” – Olu meaning “crown/apex/zenith” and Wa meaning “come”.

·The word Eledumare is used by many Yoruba to mean the Christian God, but if we break down this word “Ele-Du–Mare”, we get Ele which means “piece patched upon”; Du means “to make”; and Mare means “the act of making with infinite possibilities”. This does not mean the Christian God and is another African description of the monotheist Christian God that missionaries described to Africans.

·The word Olodumare is also used by many to also mean the Christian God but once broken down the word does not mean God in the Christian sense. Olo means “owner”, Du means “to make” and Mare means “the act of making with infinite possibilities”.

·The word Esu is used in the Yoruba language to mean “devil”. However, Esu as a divinity cannot mean devil because “In Yoruba philosophy, Esu emerges as a divine trickster, a disguise- artist, a mischief-maker, a challenger of orthodoxy, a shape-shifter, and an enforcer deity. Esu is the keeper of the divine ase with which Olodumare created the universe; a neutral force who controls both the benevolent and the malevolent supernatural powers; he is the guardian of Orunmila’s oracular utterances” (Professor Funso Aiyejina in his work Esu Elegbara: A Source of an Alter/Native Theory of African Literature and Criticism). As the reader should start to see, these words are not indicative of a natural belief in a supreme deity. They are descriptions from a Yoruba language perspective in which the Christian God is being described.

source

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by hunter21(m): 10:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

source
If i may ask, if orun in olorun means sky, then what does the orun in orunmila mean?
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by macof(m): 11:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
hunter2,1:

If i may ask, if orun in olorun means sky, then what does the orun in orunmila mean?
Some say Orunmila means "my sky is open wide" but I think the name is too ancient to have a direct translation as that
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:43am On Oct 18, 2013
hunter2,1:

Saying sky doesn't mean the cloud above..... celestial sphere or heaven give more meaning to it.

Orunmila came from spilt of "Orun-ni-o mo eni-ma-la" which mean heaven knows who will be saved or only heaven can effect deliverance.

There is more to this and understanding it metaphysical state. Orunmila is force of intelligence, awakeness and insight. Everything we are knowing had been so the etymology of that name is showing that knowing, intelligence and insight save.

Study more on tree of life in bible and it spiritual essence. Same goes with Orunmila
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:29am On Oct 18, 2013
macof:
Some say Orunmila means "my sky is open wide" but I think the name is too ancient to have a direct translation as that

what is your concept of sky?
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by macof(m): 10:03am On Oct 18, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

what is your concept of sky?
Sky-the open plain above the surface of the earth

it was a strong believe back then that heaven was in the sky- not until recently that it proves to be some kind of alternate universe
Re: Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
macof:
Sky-the open plain above the surface of the earth

it was a strong believe back then that heaven was in the sky- not until recently that it proves to be some kind of alternate universe

Heaven is another universe or another realm?

(1) (Reply)

Celestial Church Of Christ Hymns (cccmyhymns) Now On Android With Pictures! / RCCG G O Pastor Enoch Adeboye Finally Revealed How A Woman Almost Seduced Him / Question For The Theologians, Atheist And Agnostics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.