Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why (21463 Views)

Women With Rich Husbands Have Stronger Orgasm –study / Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play / High School Bullying...A Victim Or The Oppressor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by infonubia(m): 5:08am On Oct 17, 2013
[img]http://1.bp..com/-5e-r5Yjumc8/Ul9aTGkwcKI/AAAAAAAACWM/hgDCNvJsu54/s640/bully.jpg[/img]

Do you see the suspect's post...and how many people liked it or made similar comments?! I'm appalled...especially because these are young girls, mostly pre-teens.

There are some people from a part of the world where bullying is not a big deal. Parents send their children to boarding schools, knowing their kids might be bullied, but they see it as a must-have "experience.' Most African parents even believe in the military style training where bullying is not a big deal; you simply learn to stand up for yourself. The theory is: if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger. However, in the Western world, bullying kills. Why? How come bullying only makes African kids stronger but kills the American children? These African kids have lived to laugh and tell stories about it as adults.

So, the mystery I'm trying to solve is: why do most bullying in the United States result in suicide? Suicide has become the basic answer to bully, and it should not be. Is it just the environment or culture...what is it that drives most teenagers to take their own life when another peer teases, bothers, or humiliates them?

The picture above is of a 12-year-old girl, Rebecca Sedwick who was ganged bullied by as many as 15 girls via online and text messages. Over what? of course, the usual teen drama: a boy! The main culprit - the 14-year-old girl had been dating Sedwick's former boyfriend. She posted comments online with statement that Sedwick should "drink bleach and die." The second girl was Sedwick's former best friend whom the other girls influenced to attack Sedwick. It's very sad and unfortunate!

Through investigations, the sheriff of Polk County found search queries such as "what is overweight for a 13-year-old girl," "how to get blades out of razors" and "how many over-the-counter drugs do you take to die" on Sedwick computer. There was picture showing her head resting on a railroad track on one of her screen-savers. She contemplated suicide for several months as she was taunted by these girls.

Sedwick's mom tried to remove her from the school last year, but the bullying continued on Sedwick's phone and Facebook page. Sedwick committed suicide on September 9th. She jumped from the tower of an abandoned concrete plant and died.

What's worse? A Facebook post from the 14-year old girl now arrested admitted that she bullied Sedwick and didn't care that she died! This discovery led the sheriff to arrest her and the other girls who were involved in the cyber-bullying. They hope to protect any other girls these bullied may have targeted.

It's interesting how so many times I hear Africans, especially Nigerians talk about their secondary school experience. So many physical bullying exist; it's a survival of the fittest. In U.S., it's different. The bullies are heartless KIDS who drive others to their death.

Have your say

4 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by iterator25: 5:27am On Oct 17, 2013
It's part of our orientation here in africa while it's a form torture in the USA. sad

3 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Kanwulia: 5:40am On Oct 17, 2013
Because NIGERIAN KIDS love aggression! THEY WERE CONCEIVED, BORN AND RAISED WITH AGGRESSION!!!! kiss

AFRICAN KIDS ARE BATTLING HUNGER AND POVERTY!!! kiss
No ELECTRICITY. . . .SHYTTING IN BUSHES AND WIPING THEIR AZZZES WITH ELEPHANT GRASSES!!!!

You wanno bully JUNGLE BUNNIES OF AFRICA? grin

Ha! Make NL gang try dem luck ke!
We go see who go COMMIT SUICIDE F'O'RST! grin
Mu che che che che che che che!!!

Such a beautiful girl. . .bullied by extremely UGLY AND HATEFUL CREATURES ONLINE?

She must have lived a very sheltered life. . . . cry

E BADU E BELLE AND E JOLOSI FULL ONLINE I SWEAR! ALL BECAUSE OF CYBER BLOKOS!!! TUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIAKWA!!!! cry

The fate of little girls WHO GREW UP WITHOUT FATHERS AT HOME!!! OR IN POLYGAMOUS RANCHES ALL OVER AFRICA!!! LIKE ONE NAIRALANDER IN THIS FAMILY SECTION THAT JUST COMMITTED SUICIDE BECAUSE OF PEHNIS ON NL. . . TUFIAAAAAAKWA TO THE HIGHEST POWER!!!!! kiss

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! TRY YA LUCK. . . .MU HA HA HA HA HA HA HA UNA GO QUENCH ONE BY ONE. . . GUARANTEED!!! cool

15 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by iterator25: 5:59am On Oct 17, 2013
I recall getting admitted into high school, my elder bro was like 'dude you'd be bullied it's inevitable but the good thing is, you'd do it to your juniors when you hit sss1 ' .. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by infonubia(m): 6:07am On Oct 17, 2013
iterator25: I recall getting admitted into high school, my elder bro was like 'dude you'd be bullied it's inevitable but the good thing is, you'd do it to your juniors when you hit sss1 ' .. cheesy
Almost everyone that attended secondary school in Nigeria had similar experiences. I don't know about now but I wouldn't think it's changed that much.

3 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Chanchit: 6:33am On Oct 17, 2013
Anybody that commits suicide because he/she is been bullied do not deserve to live in the first place.

20 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by noobsaibot2(m): 6:46am On Oct 17, 2013
Dem bully me sotey dem use my name do jiration song. It only makes you stronger.

*ALL THOSE MODS WEY DEY DELETE MY POST... I LOVE YOU, WE CAN SETTLE AMICABLY*

18 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by infonubia(m): 6:46am On Oct 17, 2013
Chanchit: Anybody that commits suicide because he/she is been bullied do not deserve to live in the first place.
ouch! isn't that a little too harsh. People deal with situations differently. We tend to deal with them the best way we know how and there isn't really a right or wrong way. I can't really speak for someone committed suicide due to being bullied but I know it must have been so hard on them.

8 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by demelza: 7:01am On Oct 17, 2013
Bullying is not new to the african child. Right from birth, they have been bullied in all manner of ways by their parents under the guise of discipline.
No bullying that a child receives outside can be compared to the one he faces inside his house from his parents which is why things like this dont faze us.
Besides bullying na turn by turn. You do your worst now, when my time reach I do my own. God no go vex.

5 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by infonubia(m): 7:10am On Oct 17, 2013
demelza: Bullying is not new to the african child. Right from birth, they have been bullied in all manner of ways by their parents under the guise of discipline.
No bullying that a child receives outside can be compared to the one he faces inside his house from his parents which is why things like this dont faze us.
Besides bullying na turn by turn. You do your worst now, when my time reach I do my own. God no go vex.
All types of abuse, be it physical or verbal, stigmatizes the victim. You can imagine what these kids go through. Another lesson here is for parents to be a part of their children's life. Continually reminder their kids how important the children are. This will hopefully build self confidence. Also, be sure keep stay abreast of what's going on in your children's life.

2 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 17, 2013
infonubia:
Almost everyone that attended secondary school in Nigeria had similar experiences. I don't know about now but I wouldn't think it's changed that much.
it happens till tomorow in our schools, bt the good thing is that, it prepares the teens/kids for any challange outside the school walls
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by infonubia(m): 12:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Fabulousuzo: it happens till tomorow in our schools, bt the good thing is that, it prepares the teens/kids for any challange outside the school walls
Good to know that we could put a positive spin on it.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
The society is different. Our experiences are too. Even church is different. The longer you stay abroad, your emotions start getting softer too and forget A is Z to us. grin It's only murder or death that gets an expressive response from us. Then you would see Africans rolling on the floor. You are only celebrated when you die in your violent husband's house than when you divorce him. There are millions of girls in Nigeria that have been raped that just picked up their underwear and went on as if nothing happened. They only feel shame and do not feel that there's an injustice that has been done to them. Take the ABSU rape victim for example. What dignity that woman is protecting is beyond every single brain cell in my head. I'm still annoyed about that incident. See the poverty in Nigeria, and we say we have a government. We are not in touch with our emotional side. We have been desensitized to hurt, pain, wickedness, dejection, hate, strife, and helplessness by the biggest bully on earth - the Nigerian government. We have been trained very very well in a concentration camp Nigerian style. We hardly commit suicide but show our fruits in other flamboyant styles like fraud, crime, prostitution, aggression and the incessant need to loot and loot and loot.

57 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by infonubia(m): 3:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
stillwater: The society is different. Our experiences are too. Even church is different. The longer you stay abroad, your emotions start getting softer too and forget A is Z to us. grin It's only murder or death that gets an expressive response from us. Then you would see Africans rolling on the floor. You are only celebrated when you die in your violent husband's house than when you divorce him. There are millions of girls in Nigeria that have been raped that just picked up their underwear and went on as if nothing happened. They only feel shame and do not feel that there's an injustice that has been done to them. Take the ABSU rape victim for example. What dignity that woman is protecting is beyond every single brain cell in my head. I'm still annoyed about that incident. See the poverty in Nigeria, and we say we have a government. We are not in touch with our emotional side. We have been desensitized to hurt, pain, wickedness, dejection, hate, strife, and helplessness by the biggest bully on earth - the Nigerian government. We have been trained very very well in a concentration camp Nigerian style. We hardly commit suicide but show our fruits in other flamboyant styles like fraud, crime, prostitution, aggression and the incessant need to loot and loot and loot.
Stillwater, God bless you for this comment! You couldn't have said it any better! Love it...love it!
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
stillwater: The society is different. Our experiences are too. Even church is different. The longer you stay abroad, your emotions start getting softer too and forget A is Z to us. grin It's only murder or death that gets an expressive response from us. Then you would see Africans rolling on the floor. You are only celebrated when you die in your violent husband's house than when you divorce him. There are millions of girls in Nigeria that have been raped that just picked up their underwear and went on as if nothing happened. They only feel shame and do not feel that there's an injustice that has been done to them. Take the ABSU rape victim for example. What dignity that woman is protecting is beyond every single brain cell in my head. I'm still annoyed about that incident. See the poverty in Nigeria, and we say we have a government. We are not in touch with our emotional side. We have been desensitized to hurt, pain, wickedness, dejection, hate, strife, and helplessness by the biggest bully on earth - the Nigerian government. We have been trained very very well in a concentration camp Nigerian style. We hardly commit suicide but show our fruits in other flamboyant styles like fraud, crime, prostitution, aggression and the incessant need to loot and loot and loot.

You have said it all . . . .
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by ladygogo: 5:56pm On Oct 17, 2013

AMEN!!

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Rastamann: 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
It is a reflection of the kind of society we live in. In Nigeria, life is valueless but in the USA life has lots and lots of value. If you even attempt to commit suicide in the USA, you will be charges for attempting to take someone's life but in Nigeria it is business as usual.

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by lampardizik(m): 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
hmmm

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2013

Thank you.

It's the complete opposite in the USA for the most part.
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Fhemmmy: 8:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
Cos the kid in Nigeria has been bullied even from the womb

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by ezeagu(m): 8:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nigerians internalise it and deal with bullying in a different way. Victims of bullying in Nigeria don't kill themselves, they grow up to be armed robbers or military heads of state.

5 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by mamagee3(f): 8:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nigerians are used to hardships so it feels like they are built for difficulties but American kids are not built for difficulties so they are not used to it.

Makes you appreciate Nigeria even though you feel it's a worthless country.

8 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by iamswizz(m): 8:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
Na Eba dey cause am
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by adora4u1: 8:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Why are you comparing "Aje-kpako" with "Aje-butter"?!

3 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by imsuboi(m): 8:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
she committed suicide 'cos of text messages??

undecided undecided

aruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
Abeg any body get BB charger for here?

2 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Joshthefirst(m): 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2013
Sometimes I'm tempted to say these people don't value their lives. I'm inclined to say they don't really have anything to live for.

But the fact is that there are many influences that people, especially young children have when they're growing up. The most influence comes from the family. In places where the delicate structure of the family God designed( a male and a female parent with children) is tampered with by divorce and s.exual perversion, and lawlessness and immorality, children often turn out badly. Statistics say so.

Let us think before we argue in front of the kids, or before we think of divorce.

Let us raise children well. Train up a child in the way he should go. He won't stray.

And let us remember to value children, and be good role-models, fathers to the fatherless, mothers to the motherless, good examples and loving and giving friends. Our children should not die.

5 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Exjoker(m): 8:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
am Glad 2day i hav made frontpage...as 4 de treat i wont say much cuz de gal is eida a psycho or hav bein longin 4 death 2 tak ha away...mtchwww!...ma'am jully no comot com sell newspapa 2day
Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by RealAlfranco: 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Bullying isn't good... But the American kids are used to civilised interactions(no force what so ever),that's why dey are fragile and break-down easily when ever someone YELLS at dem or bullies dem... I was bullied in primary school by a guy and his bro,dey'll stop me and beat me up 2 a pulp.I came home crying one day and my dad said "if u don't teach dis guys a lesson,don't open ur big mouth and cry here again".. I had no choice bt 2 teach dem da lesson and dey learnt it well!! Now we are friends!!

5 Likes

Re: Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Then dey mad ni. Dis one's don see bully? angry

The simple answer is train up ur child in the he should go and he grows he shall not depart from it.

You know how many cane my mama flog me? Most Nigerians are better, disciplined people today because of their dad or mum. Over-pamper, that's the cause.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Suspect My Friend Of Bad Luck Aura / She Doesn't Love Him, But He Doesn't Believe In Divorce. / Thought Provoking Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.