Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University (1241 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / Afam Nduaguba Made It At Havard University, Graduates As Stellar Student / Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by zub(m): 7:10am On Oct 17, 2013

The British government has begun a probe of a Nigerian woman, Dr. Tina Beloveth Powerful, whose school is named Havard School UK. She has also been sued by the Harvard University in the United States for using almost the same name.

The UK Milton Keynes Trading Standards department is conducting the investigations into the controversy surrounding Powerful’s university that runs from a city centre flat in North Third Street in CMK in the United Kingdom.

A spokesman for Trading Standards confirmed that the Nigerian is under investigation but refused to give details.

“As it is an ongoing investigation we cannot comment in detail about it,” he said.

Media reports, however, suggest the trading standards investigation may involve false claims on Havard’s website that the school is affiliated to the Institute of Administrative Management. The wording on the school’s website has been changed to read “is to be accredited to.”

However, Dr. Beloveth Powerful insists she has not done anything wrong, adding that she was on a “mission from God to help people study.”

“I have six degrees myself, two of them from Nigeria where I came from,” she said in a report. “I transformed my life and God has given me power to transform others’.”

The Nigerian claimed she is warnot aware of the trading standards investigations into Havard.

Dr. Powerful, whose school is named Havard School of Management and Technology UK, is also being sued by Harvard University of the US. The American university, which name differs from Dr. Powerful’s institution by just a letter, is suing for alleged trademark infringement.

But Dr Powerful is counterclaiming for £2 million – the money, she says, she has spent so far on setting up her school.

“A good name is better than silver and gold,” she said. “Having said that, we are telling them we want to step aside but we have spent money in advertising, marketing and productions.”

The 46-year-old Nigerian also denied claims she caused academic confusion by calling her school Havard, explaining that the name ‘Havard’ was from her grandfather.

“My paternal grandfather’s first name was Havard. I chose to immortalise his name. I never thought about Harvard,” she said.

After her university degree at the University of Port Harcourt, where she obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Language, Powerful secured a well-paying, high- brow job with the Banking Industry abroad and rose to become a Strategic Banking Branch Manager. She also obtained a Masters degree in Business Administration Executive (MBA) at the University of Lagos in 1998.

This former bank manager recently completed her Master of Laws (LLM) with a merit 2008 and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Buckingham respectively, where she won the University of Buckingham overall best student award in Jurisprudence (2006). She also obtained a Post Graduate Diploma in the Redeemers School of Discipleship UK in 2009.

Her husband, Pastor Emma Powerful, also called as Pastor Uchenna Emmanuel Onyedike is the Senior Pastor of Belovet International Ministries-The City Of God and also a Co-founder Agapelove Stop Youth Crimes Global Network Charity/Welfare Outreach of the Beloveth International Ministries.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/uk-investigates-nigerian-who-runs-university-from-flat/
Source: CoolFM
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by kingarizona(m): 7:14am On Oct 17, 2013
hmmmmm....
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by Tolexander: 7:17am On Oct 17, 2013
However, Dr. Beloveth
Powerful insists she has not
done anything wrong, adding
that she was on a “mission
from God to help people
study.”
“I have six degrees myself,
two of them from Nigeria
where I came from,” she said
in a report. “I transformed my
life and God has given me
power to transform others’.”
i love my compatriots.
When things seem to get difficult and complicated, they will then use God to bail themselves out.

Make them no come nigeria o cos of facebook international school and co in nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by Extom(m): 7:20am On Oct 17, 2013
All these people can never be innovative!!!
Why not choose a name that has not been used before, make it stand out, and watch people copy it?
Harvard ko, Oxford ni!
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by PastorOluT(m): 7:44am On Oct 17, 2013
Extom: All these people can never be innovative!!!
Why not choose a name that has not been used before, make it stand out, and watch people copy it?
Harvard ko, Oxford ni!

Did u read her paternal grandfathers name was Harvard n trying to immortalize him?

This is not a case of being innovative, bt of she either being a fraud or simply innocent!
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by demelza: 8:14am On Oct 17, 2013
She think say na Naija she dey where intellectual theft takes place everwhere with no one batting an eye about it.
Welcome to the civilized world.
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by pato405(m): 8:31am On Oct 17, 2013
To claim that she never thought of Havard Uni is just false !
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by Extom(m): 8:42am On Oct 17, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Did u read her paternal grandfathers name was Harvard n trying to immortalize him?

This is not a case of being innovative, bt of she either being a fraud or simply innocent!
And you actually followed it up to confirm it was true?
Why are you acting like you're not from this part of the country? Is this the 1st time you're seeing a name that looks like an already established, booming company? How can you buy this her story when you know she's only trying to start making quick profit from Harvard's goodwill? Even if her granddad was Harvard as she claims, was that his only name?
You people should always have an open mind about any topic, so as not to be biased.
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by homesteady(m): 8:51am On Oct 17, 2013
Wow! She has 6 degrees cheesy
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by SEYIKP(m): 9:18am On Oct 17, 2013
HA NKANBE, IRENKARINDO AKOLAWOLE.
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by emmalexabl(m): 9:40am On Oct 17, 2013
My paternal grandfather’s first name was
Havard. I chose to immortalise his name. I never thought about Harvard,”

like seriously., did she say that
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by Allohrandy(m): 9:51am On Oct 17, 2013
Mrs Powerful has a really funny name.
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by christejames(m): 10:41am On Oct 17, 2013
Waow which tribe in nigeria bear "havard" as name? Hmmm nigerians can go to some xtend in making money though, it seems she just want to let UK knw hw powerful she is according to her name.
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by planetuzor(m): 8:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
Ha-vard and Har-vard are not the same now...... Haven't u seen No-kia and another one made frm China called NokLa....grin grin grin

Thank God she has master in Law... She has a case jor and she wld win... Trust me...
Re: Nigerian Probed In UK For Naming School HAVARD University by planetuzor(m): 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Ha-vard and Har-vard are not the same now...... Haven't u seen No-kia and another one made frm China called NokLa....grin grin grin

Thank God she has master in Law... She has a case jor and she will win... Trust me...

(1) (Reply)

Seminar Topics In Mathematical Optimization / Please Who Knows If The NCEE Result Is Out For The Second Test Taken. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.