Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,251 members, 7,780,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:47 PM

Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer (8302 Views)

Be Inspired In Your Career By This experience of mine. / A Friend Lost His Job: How To Future-proof Your Career! / 20 Ways To Improve The Quality Of Your Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Papilo87(m): 1:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
You may not be making a living as a full time writer (fiction writer, journalist, blogger etc) but for many career individuals it is important they develop their writing ability to above average. If you work or intend pursuing a career in marketing, business development, publicity etc it is even more important that you learn the skills and habits of successful writers.

Writing well certainly can be beneficial in a host of ways like;

- helping you market your business
- giving you a better chance in your job search
- helping you be more positive and crystallize your thoughts & plans
- Helping you build an attractive personal brand and so on.

When you are able to express your thoughts in concise and good writing you become a better communicator. Communication sure helps in business and career growth.

To improve your writing and become better at conveying written information here are a few tips.

Read More and You’ll Write Better

Readers are always more likely to become improved writers. The wider you read (fiction and non-fiction) the better you get in acquiring style and structure.

Your reading should not be restricted to one of fiction or non-fiction; each helps in a different way to build your thought and eventually writing process.

Take a Notebook Along

One thing good writers don’t fail to do is to have a way of capturing their ideas for later expansion. The more you read and get aware the more ideas fester in your mind. Great writing ideas often start with an idea that erupts when you are nowhere near your writing desk.

Note down ideas as soon as they come to you so you can later work on them. Have a portable jotter wherever you go and use them to keep track of ideas that occur to you. A decent idea for that report you have to write for your Head of Department could pop up anytime.

Listen

The way and how people converse around you can contribute to your thinking. Talks and conferences you attend are a good way to sharpen your ideas and develop your own writing ability. Listen to smarter people and professionals around you and build your own way of capturing dialogue in written form.

Improve Your Vocabulary; Use Dictionary and Thesaurus

These days you need not have to consult a bulky Oxford dictionary to get meanings of words you don’t know. There are literally many dictionary and thesaurus applications out there that you can install on your phone and improve your understanding of words on the go.

When you come across any difficult word your phone is only a few buttons away from helping you out. Take advantage of that and improve on your command of words.

Crossword puzzles can be a good way to get involved with new words and expand your scope of knowledge.

Write Simple

Obviously many do not realise that for writing it is a case of the simpler the better. Don’t try to impress your audience (be it your boss or a committee) by writing superfluous. Writing simple helps you avoid ambiguity.

To write simply bear in mind the following;

Sentence Structure and Length: If your aim is to write concisely you shouldn’t do more long sentence form. While it is good to vary the length of your sentences you may want to be sure that they don’t end up too long. Try as much as possible to give the intended reader a breather and make it easier for them to read your work or report.

Active and Passive Voice: Consider these two sentences;

The car was crashed on the highway by Ahmed (passive voice)
Ahmed crashed the car on the highway (active voice)

Most times writing done in active voice conveys more powerful and direct meaning. This is not to say that you shouldn’t write in passive voice. It means however that you should consider making your writing more direct and cleaner especially when you are writing in non fiction or business related issues.

Always Proofread Your Writing

It doesn’t matter if it is a 3 sentence memo you just wrote always re-read your writing before sending it along to your audience. Your write-up may look very decent at first glance but taking the time to read through what you have written might show you a few loose ends.

Always proofread with the mindset of a critic looking for mistakes and unsavoury construction of words.

Nigeria's Top Job and Career Blog

20 Likes

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Gwekzy: 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
Pls Summarize
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Papilo87(m): 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gwekzy: Pls Summarize
If only what you can read are summaries then I'm afraid all hope is lost

18 Likes

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Jelo4kul(m): 3:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thanks alot..dis has boosted my immune. Oya writing tns on point.Johnny pls bring my book and pen
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by hybeekay9: 3:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
4th 2 comment oo... Thank God.... cheesy
Helpful tho
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by philfearon(m): 3:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
Great write up.....i have almost achieved all...Just a little bit more....I have this to add though:
Originality matters too
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by damibravo(m): 3:30pm On Oct 18, 2013

This topic aint for u...

Trust me
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by nen4: 3:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
hmmmm
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Merkki(f): 3:32pm On Oct 18, 2013

If this is too lengthy for you to read, then i'm afraid, you need help!

1 Like

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Sermwell(m): 3:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
Y
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Lurdkeme(m): 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
Impressed
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by adihuc(m): 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hmm, I received Best Student Writing Award(BSW) early dis year 4rm GEJ... grin grin
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by phtemie(m): 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nice one op...Great piece.
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
I love writing.
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by yemi2plus(m): 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thanks. Y'all should keep your fingers crossed, I'm gonna shock nairaland
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
Can someone plz translate this whole post to igbo language,maybe then i'll understand wat u are saying wella. I only did my best by reading the bold words and living the rest 4 gawd. Yet i did'nt understand
UPDATE.....
i taught Igbo language was made compulsory in the University, why can't a Nairalander translate this whole post! Plz i dn't understand the english language during the day,i only do at night.

2 Likes

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by felzylix(m): 3:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
since this ASUU strike my hand writing has changed for the worse
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by ortopazz(m): 3:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
I dont think my problem is writing, rather procrastination..... Itz gotten hold of me,,,

3 Likes

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by iterator25: 3:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bossforeva: Can someone plz translate this whole post to igbo language,maybe then i'll understand wat u are saying wella. I only did my best by reading the bold words and living the rest 4 gawd. Yet i did'nt understand
I yaff died
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Sllowppoisoon: 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
grin
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nuvally: 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2013

Your name though.

@Op Teach some people how to read and understand What they 've read. Writing is Secondary.

Wonderful Topic!
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nuvally: 3:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bossforeva: Can someone plz translate this whole post to igbo language,maybe then i'll understand wat u are saying wella. I only did my best by reading the bold words and living the rest 4 gawd. Yet i did'nt understand

Keep quiet!!

1 Like

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nuvally: 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
Sermwell: Y

Your stupidity is just like Peak milk. "It's in you"

4 Likes

Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by chistar01(m): 3:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hmmmmmm... Okay.. #Noted.

PEACe.
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by njuwo(m): 3:49pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nuvally:

Your stupidity is just like Peak milk. "It's in you"
Commenting is just like Airtel, it makes u feel free.
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nigeria is finished...

See the few viewers or trafffic to this post that could absolutely transform people.

Of course same can not be said if it had to do with celebs, gossips et al.
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Saved page!
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by BISHOPcBISHOP: 3:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Lols
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by UjSizzle(f): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
Beautiful piece smiley
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by Clemzy16(m): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nice
Re: Improve Your Career By Becoming A Better Writer by BISHOPcBISHOP: 3:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ma 1st tym on nairaland afta following up for 2yrs..m organising a party becos of this 2nite..singing and dancing SKELEWU!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. / Is Animal Production A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? / How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.