Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,904 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members (14855 Views)

Dasuki, 4 Others Granted Bail / Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today / Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Saudi Arabia and Chad easily won coveted seats on the U.N. Security Council Thursday, despite criticism from human rights groups. Nigeria, Lithuania and Chile also won seats.

The five candidates endorsed by regional groups faced no opposition after there were no contested races for the first time in several years.

The countries were elected in the first round of voting by the 193-member General Assembly. Lithuania was the top vote-getter with 187 votes followed by Nigeria and Chile with 186 votes, Chad with 184 votes and Saudi Arabia with 176 votes.

Security Council seats are highly coveted because they give countries a strong voice in matters dealing with international peace and security, in places like Syria, Iran and North Korea, as well as the U.N.'s far-flung peacekeeping operations.

The 15-member council includes five permanent members with veto power - the U.S., Russia, China, Britain and France - and 10 nonpermanent members elected for two-year terms.

The five countries elected Thursday will assume their posts on Jan. 1 and serve through the end of 2015. They will replace Azerbaijan, Guatemala, Morocco, Pakistan and Togo.

Philippe Bolopion, United Nations director for Human Rights Watch, denounced the election of Chad, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia.

"The prestige of a seat at the world's foremost diplomatic table should prompt the new members to get their house in order," he said.

"Chad should put an end to the recruitment of child soldiers, which earned it a spot on the U.N. list of shame," he said. "Saudi Arabia should end its crackdown on human rights activists and grant women their full rights."

Bolopion also criticized Nigeria, saying it should "end chronic abuse by security forces and better protect civilians in the north" from attacks by the Boko Haram terrorist network.

Hillel Neuer, executive director of Geneva-based human rights group UN Watch, accused Saudi Arabia of denying women the right to vote, drive a car or travel without the permission of a male relative. He also accused it of "praising and shielding Sudan" whose president, Omar al-Bashir is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur.

Neuer said Chad should not have oversight on U.N. peacekeeping operations as long it employs child soldiers.

Chad, Saudi Arabia and Lithuania have never served on the U.N.'s most powerful body while Nigeria and Chile have both been on the council four times previously.

Seats in the Security Council are allocated by region, and regional groups nominate candidates. There are often hotly contested races. In 2007, for example, a runoff between Guatemala and Venezuela went 47 rounds before Panama was finally elected as the Latin America candidate.

This year, there were initially two candidates for a West African seat but Gambia dropped out last week in favor of Nigeria.

To win, each country must obtain support of two-thirds of all General Assembly members present. Because balloting is secret, there is intense lobbying for votes by candidates, even in uncontested races, to ensure they get the minimum number needed for victory - and to see who gets the highest vote.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/23713049/un-elects-5-new-security-council-members

2 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by chinedugreat(m): 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
Woooo first 2 comment al lasT
GEJ is working

3 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
chinedugreat: Woooo first 2 comment al lasT
GEJ is working
hehehe. It's not actually the work of GEJ, but It's a good development for the nation. Nigeria is always the first in Africa to ensure the safety of her sister, yet We're not a member of the UN security council... Most African countries can be controled like puppets by Western and european governments, but not Nigeria, they know that That's why they would never choose Nigeria if they have to handpick.

3 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by brixton: 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
Lookin fward wit a positive mind to when our dear country would have parmanent seat in UN security council. We re gradually getting there! SA watchout cos u re currently using G20 space!!!
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
brixton: Lookin fward wit a positive mind to when our dear country would have parmanent seat in UN security council. We re gradually getting there! SA watchout cos u re currently using G20 space!!!
why SA? We pass them la, na to think of second world nations.... When we look to be like Nations Who're better then we will improve greatly, but if we look at people Who're not better or just slightly better, then our progress will be very slow.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by petrov10: 4:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
Sweet
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by stevnwigw1: 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nigeria is dividing next year , you are here talking about permanent seat.

7 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
stevnwigw1: Nigeria is dividing next year , you are here talking about permanent seat.
smh.... If only people know what this dividing stuff is about 80% of them won't talk about it, It's a time when you lose your loved ones, when you starve for days and see people dying because of hunger, i'm sure if you ask one of the old people in your village about the civil war, They'll tell you they don't want it to happen again, stop blabbing! The problem is our leaders not ethnic!! Even if Nigeria divides There'll still be corruption! And people will still suffer, do you dig?

29 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by luvablesam(m): 5:07pm On Oct 17, 2013
we want a permanent seat on that council not just this how many year tenures we keep getting on the council...When will they ever realize that Nigeria is a power bloc in Africa?
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Stallion77(f): 5:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: hehehe. It's not actually the work of GEJ, but It's a good development for the nation. Nigeria is always the first in Africa to ensure the safety of her sister, yet We're not a member of the UN security council... Most African countries can be controled like puppets by Western and european governments, but not Nigeria, they know that That's why they would never choose Nigeria if they have to handpick.

Oh really? Not actually the work of GEJ? But the negatives are his handwork abi...

Ask sincere9gerian to sell you some objectivity if you can pay for it.

7 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Stallion77(f): 5:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
stevnwigw1: Nigeria is dividing next year , you are here talking about permanent seat.

Na bread knife u wan take divide nigeria?
America alone is bigger than Africa with loads of problems that their economy had crashed severally...do you see them asking for division.? ... We must learn to live together and work things out.

9 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Adamskuty(m): 5:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: The U.N. General Assembly elects five new members to the Security Council on Thursday and the winners are virtually certain because there are no contested races - Nigeria, Chad, Saudi Arabia, Lithuania and Chile.
Chad, Saudi Arabia and Lithuania have never served on the U.N.'s most powerful body while Nigeria and Chile have both been on the council four times previously.
Security Council seats are highly coveted because they give countries a strong voice in matters dealing with international peace and security, such as Syria, sanctions against Iran and North Korea and the U.N.'s far-flung peacekeeping operations.
The 15-member council includes five permanent members with veto power - the U.S., Russia, China, Britain and France - and 10 nonpermanent members elected for two-year terms.
Seats are allocated by region, and regional groups nominate candidates. There are often hotly contested races.
In 2007, for example, a runoff between Guatemala and Venezuela went 47 rounds before Panama was finally offered, and elected, as the Latin America candidate.
This year, there were initially two candidates for a West African seat but Gambia dropped out last week in favor of Nigeria.
To win, each country must obtain support of two-thirds of all General Assembly members present, or a minimum of 129 votes if all 193 members participate.
Because balloting is secret, there is intense lobbying for votes by candidates, even in uncontested races, to ensure they get the minimum number needed for victory.
Winners will assume their posts on Jan. 1 and serve through the end of 2015.
The five winners on Thursday will replace Azerbaijan, Guatemala, Morocco, Pakistan and Togo. http://m.naij.com/news/49898.html?short
wonderful,superb grin strange how ghana isn't even considered for roles like this

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Adamskuty(m): 5:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
stevnwigw1: N.
hahha! Who's this fagg0t,dream on and die in misery while dreaming.... E dey pain u,loudmouthed coxcomb? grin

nigga name sound weird thou,from whence typeth though? undecided

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by themaskedman: 6:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
Each time I travel to a new city or state in Nigeria I see reasons why Nigeria should remain as one. Nigeria is a lovely place with wonderful people.
From the beautiful beaches of Lagos to the scorching hot deserts of Yobe, from the scenic views of the Mambilla and Obudu plateau to the tropical rain forest of Owerri and the swamps of Bayelsa I see them, all beautiful and given to us by God to keep us together.

20 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by AkinDavid2: 6:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
Good for the country, anything that will promote peace not only in the world but also in Nigeria is welcomed. By the way BH issue must be solved quickly
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by dridowu: 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
are using calculator to divide it or saw ?
@topic, i think Nigeria was able to be elected cos of its peace keeping mission in Africa, if not 4 dos yeye boko boiz wey dy spoil our name, we shd be talking of permanant member in d secruity council

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stallion77:

Oh really? Not actually the work of GEJ? But the negatives are his handwork abi...

Ask sincere9gerian to sell you some objectivity if you can pay for it.
ok, can you please explain how he is involved in this I'm not a pessimist, i'm a patriotic Nigerian, but what i'm saying is that This is a matter that cann't be controlled by the president, he does not have anything to do with this!!!

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
dridowu: are using calculator to divide it or saw ?
@topic, i think Nigeria was able to be elected cos of its peace keeping mission in Africa, if not 4 dos yeye boko boiz wey dy spoil our name, we shd be talking of permanant member in d secruity council
Nigeria was not elected because of peace keeping missions, but because the contender withdrew.... Did you read the article while wearing a sunshade?
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by stevnwigw1: 7:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: smh.... If only people know what this dividing stuff is about 80% of them won't talk about it, It's a time when you lose your loved ones, when you starve for days and see people dying because of hunger, i'm sure if you ask one of the old people in your village about the civil war, They'll tell you they don't want it to happen again, stop blabbing! The problem is our leaders not ethnic!! Even if Nigeria divides There'll still be corruption! And people will still suffer, do you dig?
you think is that time only ur-people has access to nigeria weapon, each region has weapon now for ur info, i would rather die a free man than live in slavry esp. for uncircusized philistian.

3 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by brixton: 7:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: why SA? We pass them la, na to think of second world nations.... When we look to be like Nations Who're better then we will improve greatly, but if we look at people Who're not better or just slightly better, then our progress will be very slow.

At dis point they r d only Africa country among d BRICS countries as well as d G20 summit. I think we should take on both platforms to show Africa and indeed the world that we ar ready to play our role in the world gala
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by taharqa: 7:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: hehehe. It's not actually the work of GEJ, but It's a good development for the nation. Nigeria is always the first in Africa to ensure the safety of her sister, yet We're not a member of the UN security council... Most African countries can be controled like puppets by Western and european governments, but not Nigeria, they know that That's why they would never choose Nigeria if they have to handpick.
Reali?? So whose work is it then? Am all earz...
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
stevnwigw1: you think is that time only ur-people has access to nigeria weapon, each region has weapon now for ur info, i would rather die a free man than live in slavry esp. for uncircusized philistian.
smh, if you don't know what You're fighting for, You'll be fighting to be defeated, what i'm saying is that even if Nigeria divides, We'll still have problems!!! The problem is corruption!! Corruption lives in the heart of politicians not in some states of this federation.separating yourself from a part of Nigeria does not solve the problem of Nigeria, even small nations have problem, even big nations have problem, what they all try to do is solve their problem, not run away from it!! Play your part in Nigeria and Nigeria will change!!

4 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
taharqa: Reali?? So whose work is it then? Am all earz...
It's just like telling everyone on nairaland to vote for who will be a moderator between the both of us, then i decided to pull out and you won, the oga@dtop has nothing to do with the process, It's possible that if i had not stepped down i could have been voted into that post, same here, the contenders stepped down so only Nigeria is left and they automatically own that post.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by adesharp2(m): 7:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Good news
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by omenka(m): 7:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
And Stella Udua still heads aviation ministry....
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Jelo4kul(m): 7:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
Abeg where my second ba3 dey. My ba3 don die,,just bkus say i dey read dis post...and dey don take lite,.,.chai,..Nairaland don finish me
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by cyril10(m): 7:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Good one for Nigeria my country
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by theshadyexpress(m): 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
why do u guys like depriving this man of the fruit of his labour,where you guys blind when he was convincing AU and UN leaders to endorse Nigerias membership,pls let's be objective for once.

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by MontaySingh: 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
Is that what your kainkain drinker leaders told you?If you like die Nigeria will not be divided by the grace of God.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by patriotic007: 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
naija representing,....UP GEJ,....team fresh air,....could it be?first to......
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by theshadyexpress(m): 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: It's just like telling everyone on nairaland to vote for who will be a moderator between the both of us, then i decided to pull out and you won, the oga@dtop has nothing to do with the process, It's possible that if i had not stepped down i could have been voted into that post, same here, the contenders stepped down so only Nigeria is left and they automatically own that post.
guy just shut up and talk sensibly

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adamawa Lawmakers Plot Against New Governor / Army Rescues 3,000 Civilians From Boko Haram - Military Sources Confirm / Patience Jonathan Celebrates Her 58th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.