Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On (7556 Views)

Does Driving With The AC On Actually Use More Fuel? / Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
I drive a manual 1998 Toyota Avensis, 1.8 liter petrol engine. Anytime I top up or fill up the ac coolant and drive, it drags the engine. The acceleration slows significantly and I often have to switch off the AC while attempting some race car maneuvers. Is this normal or is it a symptom of an underlying problem? Thanks for your candid, well-informed advice.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 18, 2013
following ...
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Lexusgs430: 4:22am On Oct 18, 2013
Points towards a weak engine, in my perception. Do a compression test on all your cylinders.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 18, 2013
Lexusgs430: Points towards a weak engine, in my perception. Do a compression test on all your cylinders.
Did u just took those thoughts from my mind? Spot on bro!
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by 9icetoo(m): 8:19am On Oct 18, 2013
And there lies a big arse problem. where does he get to do a compression test in naija? I have visited so many mechanic workshops here in ph and some of them have not even heard of compression test not to talk of having ever done it or having the kit to do it. Op, check and make sure your ac gas isnt overfilled. Though i don't know if that could be the cause. Somehow it still boils down to your engine cause that is what drives ur compressor. But if u can get a garage to do ur compression test, that would be a good place to start.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:55am On Oct 18, 2013
dsunmade: I drive a manual 1998 Toyota Avensis, 1.8 liter petrol engine. Anytime I top up or fill up the ac coolant and drive, it drags the engine. The acceleration slows significantly and I often have to switch off the AC while attempting some race car maneuvers. Is this normal or is it a symptom of an underlying problem? Thanks for your candid, well-informed advice.

Is your AC aftermarket or the original from manufacturer ?

1 Like

Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Ikenna351(m): 9:00am On Oct 18, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

Is your AC aftermarket or the original from manufacturer ?

This should have been the first question in this matter.

Ikenna.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
The ac is factory-fitted
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by auhanson(m): 2:52am On Oct 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

This should have been the first question in this matter.

Ikenna.

If its not factory fitted, expect the dragging effect with a 1.8 litre engine, else check your performances components and clean them up or replace the bad ones. Anyways, that's a topic for another day
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Mlud: 7:09am On Oct 20, 2013
Don't forget that the airconditioner will always sap some energy from the engine. Some loss in performance is to be expected especially during hard revving or when immediate power is demanded from the engine or as you say when "performing race car moves."
Also remember that you are running a 25 year old 1.8 engine. Durable as your Toyota power plant is your performance will not be as it was when it was factory fresh.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by oseo1(m): 11:27am On Oct 20, 2013
Another suggestion would be to check your fuel pump, but it's not a very likely option.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by icemann(m): 1:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
dsunmade: I drive a manual 1998 Toyota Avensis, 1.8 liter petrol engine. [b]Anytime I top up or fill up the ac coolant and drive, it drags the engine. [/b]The acceleration slows significantly and I often have to switch off the AC while attempting some race car maneuvers. Is this normal or is it a symptom of an underlying problem? Thanks for your candid, well-informed advice.

First of all you need to check your AC system, l believe it has leaks somewhere. The car ac system doesn't require refills very often (only1 refill on my present car in 3.5yrs).Secondly You also need to check the freon pressure, mine requires 40 psi on the high end and it still cooled at 33psi before I recharged it. Most cars range between 35 to 45 psi. Over charging would put stress on the compressor in turn the engine and that would reduce your speed.

Remedy: Check for freon leaks using a dye pumped into the system (ask your mech he knows what I am talking about). Also check your condenser, the fins might be clogged with dirt. Clogged fins causes an inefficient heat exchange process(reduced surface area. If you know thermodynamics you will understand)

You dont need to recharge as often as you think
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 5:42am On Oct 22, 2013
au.hanson:

If its not factory fitted, expect the dragging effect with a 1.8 litre engine, else check your performances components and clean them up or replace the bad ones. Anyways, that's a topic for another day
what are the performance components?
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Trac: 5:46am On Oct 22, 2013
Compressor systems take an average of 12kW (16 horsepower). It is a factored design consideration and should not be noticed during operation. Engine - to begin with - is at poor state of health. A tune-up is needed. It could be anything (a simple task that mayn't take a minute to a job that takes a few hours). That is why there is appreciable-loss in performance during operation. Have a mechanic diagnose it. The root-cause(s) is what he will discover and take necessary measures to remediate it.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:04am On Oct 22, 2013
Trac: Compressor systems take an average of 12kW (16 horsepower). It is a factored design consideration and should not be noticed during operation. Engine - to begin with - is at poor state of health. A tune-up is needed. It could be anything (a simple task that mayn't take a minute to a job that takes a few hours). That is why there is appreciable-loss in performance during operation. Have a mechanic diagnose it. The root-cause(s) is what he will discover and take necessary measures to remediate it.

He needs a mechanic that is educated, not someone who knows how to fix a car but does not know the theory of how cars work or failing that someone who will listen to him as he suggests what to do based on the information provided here

1 Like

Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
That's my problem. Where to get someone who really knows how cars work and not some technician who doesn't know the underlying principles of what he does.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by 9icetoo(m): 1:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
Okay, so heres my two cents. I have read somewhere on this thread that efi systems have something called a compensator on them that comes on when an extra load like an ac is put on the engine. This compensator works with the maf i suppose. Supposing your maf isnt really telling the ecu the truth, this compensator might not work properly hence the drag on your engine. In my recent post i wrote about my recent tuneup which involved cleaning out my maf and air cleaner. Guess what, it worked a treat by treating this same symptom u r complaining of. Since ur ac is stock, i believe ur engine should be able to handle its load without a noticeable drop in power. try cleaning ur maf, throttle body and air cleaner. It just might work. wink

1 Like

Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Trac: 6:51am On Oct 24, 2013
IdaraCHODB:

He needs a mechanic that is educated, not someone who knows how to fix a car but does not know the theory of how cars work or failing that someone who will listen to him as he suggests what to do based on the information provided here

While what you have stated is fact, another consideration is if the poster is willing to pay the higher price associated for guaranteed service. This is the problem I have gotten to observe repeatedly from nairalanders and Nigerians in real-world. Nigerians are always for the bargain. So, they cling to Nigerian mechanics and get all services at unfair bargains. I mean perpertually. The mechanic - on the other hand - is shrunk; for profit has been marginalised and often motivated to be fair and not be optimum.

Theories of how cars work can only be attained via the discipline of Mechanical Engineering or it's specific derivatives. It is deeper than what many can dedicate to. Many that work on cars don't have this. It will be unfair to expect this of the larger percentage of Nigerian mechanics. The ones with such (scientific) background charge a lot of money for their services because they guarantee their work. Nigerians tend to avoid those. They'd rather get the result of the diagnosis and opt to carry out the repairs at their own convenience.

9icetoo: Okay, so heres my two cents. I have read somewhere on this thread that efi systems have something called a compensator on them that comes on when an extra load like an ac is put on the engine. This compensator works with the maf i suppose. Supposing your maf isnt really telling the ecu the truth, this compensator might not work properly hence the drag on your engine. In my recent post i wrote about my recent tuneup which involved cleaning out my maf and air cleaner. Guess what, it worked a treat by treating this same symptom u r complaining of. Since ur ac is stock, i believe ur engine should be able to handle its load without a noticeable drop in power. try cleaning ur maf, throttle body and air cleaner. It just might work. wink

What's stated might mitigate the symptom (effect). It is not a root-solution. The one to whom the vehicle will be given to carry out diagnoses will comprehensively "detail" the vehicle for root-cause-effects and root-cause-failures. In engineering, faults are never resolved from effects (symptoms as thread implies) and then worked upon. You end with a system that is categorised as "undependable." In systems, all problems (always) are tree-like. It is called the "fault-tree" (or deductive) and an investigation into what effects have been conjured is a fault-tree diagnosis (or deductive-diagnosis). This is a reflection to the logic that problems are always tree-like. The objective is for the root-cause/s, so that failures are completely eliminated (eradicated to prevent future occurrences) and possible preventions made. As aforestated, it requires understanding and it is always comprehensive. Sometimes, fate could have an effect to be an isolated issue; thus a surface problem with no faulty associated dependencies. Nevertheless, proper investigation is never usurped because this fact comes as conclusion after all deductions have been made. A car serviced occasionally outside of this standard approach is a "partially-functional" vehicle (no matter how well it rides). This is because there will be several unresolved root-issues that are subservient to normal vehicle operation; till ultimate failure occurs.

dsunmade: That's my problem. Where to get someone who really knows how cars work and not some technician who doesn't know the underlying principles of what he does.

On scale, a basic repair is needed. It's not a big issue; although you omitted to state other effects that you are experiencing. One note of caution to you: don't go cheap. Get a reputable person and pay the cost associated for the proper workmanship. You should also get a guarantee for the service done. A good mechanic will not propose revisions (part revisions) that are questionable. If failed Toyota parts are identified, the same should be fitted in replacement or a genuine revision. Doing otherwise will be a tradeoff from dependability in favour of uncertainty. Logic will bear me witness.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Ikenna351(m): 8:23am On Oct 24, 2013
Op,

Your engine is not dragging, it's hesitating, I think.

Since the AC is factory fitted, it's now ruled out.

I don't know the state of your engine combustion chambers, neither do I know the state of the car engine injection system. You didn't tell us if you have scanned the car and the results. You didn't tell us how often you top up the engine oil or it doesn't consume oil. You didn't tell us what colour of smoke emits from the exhaust or no colour at all. You didn't tell us the state of the ignition system, in this case, I mean the spark plugs. The issue you are experiencing may have nothing to do with the AC, but the state of the engine, ignition or injection system of the car. When load like AC is placed on the engine with faulty system(s), it will give out similar symptom you are experiencing.

Get an electronic contact cleaner, methylated spirit, alcohol or any good solvent aside carb cleaner. Get a toothbrush as well, new or used. Disconnect the battery terminals, if you want to. Then start pulling out, spraying and brushing all wiring connectors in the engine bay you can lay your eyes on, with the solvent and toothbrush. Pull out the connector, spray in the solvent, brush the pins, spray in solvent again to flush out dirts, allow to dry and plug back, both male and femalr connectors. Don't forget to clean the engine ECU connector as well. But please, don't spray the solvent on the ECU pins where you unplugged the connector. Brush the ECU pins with dry brush and clean only the connector. Sometimes, when a injection components connectors corrodes, it would disrupt the the ECU receiving complete signals or values from the sensors/components the connectors are connected to. The ECU may manage to run the engine with such incomplete info from the sensors, but as soon heavy load is added or placed on the engine, the power will drop.

I don't know if your engine has IAC; I don't know if its more pronounced while engine is at idle; even though the symptom sounds unlikely to be an IAC issue, but it wouldn't hurt to clean the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) with carb cleaner, allow to dry, lubricate and mount back. Usually IAC will make rpm drop at idle when clogged or even stall the car when deaccelerating, especially when AC is on.

I wouldn't rule out the ignition, the spark plugs until am sure. If you have not replaced those spark plugs since you got the car with recommended one and not knowing when it was last replaced by the previous owner, it's time for you to replace them, with the electrode properly gapped. I mean properly gapped, not according to the spark plug manufacturer, but your car manufacturer for that engine.

It could still be your AC system, but I don't have much to say on this, if that is the case.

I can't think of any other thing for now. Maybe others will have more or better suggestions to add.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by ziccoit: 8:32am On Oct 24, 2013
^^^ @Trac, if you don't live in Nigeria; you would not understand how difficult some things are. In a whole state you may not find a single qualify mechanic/auto technician that knows his job.
Look, some things are just unavailable and there is nothing you could do about that. In this case, would you stop using cars because the environment is not enabling? Nigeria is unlike UK or USA where good mechanics abound. Here, they are so scarce especially outside the big cities (Lagos, Port, Abuja)
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 24, 2013
Ikenna351: Op,

Your engine is not dragging, it's hesitating, I think.

Since the AC is factory fitted, it's now ruled out.

I don't know the state of your engine combustion chambers, neither do I know the state of the car engine injection system. You didn't tell us if you have scanned the car and the results. You didn't tell us how often you top up the engine oil or it doesn't consume oil. You didn't tell us what colour of smoke emits from the exhaust or no colour at all. You didn't tell us the state of the ignition system, in this case, I mean the spark plugs. The issue you are experiencing may have nothing to do with the AC, but the state of the engine, ignition or injection system of the car. When load like AC is placed on the engine with faulty system(s), it will give out similar symptom you are experiencing.

Get an electronic contact cleaner, methylated spirit, alcohol or any good solvent aside carb cleaner. Get a toothbrush as well, new or used. Disconnect the battery terminals, if you want to. Then start pulling out, spraying and brushing all wiring connectors in the engine bay you can lay your eyes on, with the solvent and toothbrush. Pull out the connector, spray in the solvent, brush the pins, spray in solvent again to flush out dirts, allow to dry and plug back, both male and femalr connectors. Don't forget to clean the engine ECU connector as well. But please, don't spray the solvent on the ECU pins where you unplugged the connector. Brush the ECU pins with dry brush and clean only the connector. Sometimes, when a injection components connectors corrodes, it would disrupt the the ECU receiving complete signals or values from the sensors/components the connectors are connected to. The ECU may manage to run the engine with such incomplete info from the sensors, but as soon heavy load is added or placed on the engine, the power will drop.

I don't know if your engine has IAC; I don't know if its more pronounced while engine is at idle; even though the symptom sounds unlikely to be an IAC issue, but it wouldn't hurt to clean the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) with carb cleaner, allow to dry, lubricate and mount back. Usually IAC will make rpm drop at idle when clogged or even stall the car when deaccelerating, especially when AC is on.

I wouldn't rule out the ignition, the spark plugs until am sure. If you have not replaced those spark plugs since you got the car with recommended one and not knowing when it was last replaced by the previous owner, it's time for you to replace them, with the electrode properly gapped. I mean properly gapped, not according to the spark plug manufacturer, but your car manufacturer for that engine.

It could still be your AC system, but I don't have much to say on this, if that is the case.

I can't think of any other thing for now. Maybe others will have more or better suggestions to add.

Ikenna.
Thanks. I replaced the plugs with OEM manual prescribed plugs about 2 months ago after gapping them and noticed an improvement in the working of the vehicle. The car doesn't consume oil. The smoke is usually colorless but occasionally white on revving.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Trac: 1:30am On Oct 25, 2013
ziccoit: ^^^ @Trac, if you don't live in Nigeria; you would not understand how difficult some things are. In a whole state you may not find a single qualify mechanic/auto technician that knows his job.
Look, some things are just unavailable and there is nothing you could do about that. In this case, would you stop using cars because the environment is not enabling? Nigeria is unlike UK or USA where good mechanics abound. Here, they are so scarce especially outside the big cities (Lagos, Port, Abuja)

I understand your perspective; troubleshooting laws cannot be negated due to geographical constraints. It is one of the facts of life.

There are elements of truth in what you have stated; a sizable chunk I find disingenuous. A mechanic true to his salt with a number of years in experience is a worthy mechanic. The measure to which mechanic are judged in terms of competence (of Nigerians relatiing to Nigerian mechanics) is sheer perception. A year's worth of experience is 1920_hours@40_hours. Four years would be 1920*4_hours@40hours; literally 7680 hours of professional experience: diagnosing, loosing and tightening bolts. That is not a joke. The basic and intermediate services can at least be done. A friend of mine on two occasion travelled 300 miles to have his vehicle serviced; on a Honda. With the amount of money to be spent, the journey was an investment. It is everywhere. It is not exclusive to Nigeria.

// The inept and fraudulent mechanics were not factored. That needs no explanation.

dsunmade:
Thanks. I replaced the plugs with OEM manual prescribed plugs about 2 months ago after gapping them and noticed an improvement in the working of the vehicle. The car doesn't consume oil. The smoke is usually colorless but occasionally white on revving.

Smoke: a visible suspension of carbon or other particles in the air, typically one emitted from a burning substance.
————— Concise Oxford English Dictionary 12E

A concise explanation: you have compromised "engine-efficiency", thus leading to diminished "mechanical-advantage." If unclear, break the epithets with a dictionary. Your problem is combustion related and it could be several factors based on how it is "looped." I'll recommend you leave the vehicle to the hands of one that knows his expertise. Complicating things will only cost you. Your issue did not just start, it compounded over several months. It's a basic repair and shouldn't cost much; don't plan going cheap, lest you fall into the snare of bad mechanics. Very little can be done via NL; physical interaction is needed (no trial-by-error). This is the simplest approach for you. There is also a possibility that repair-visitation will be more than once; that is follow-up. Reason beyond "microwave" solutions and view my perspective; it's not instant satisfaction but a thorough solution.

When you are done completing repairs, update the thread so that closure can be attained.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by auhanson(m): 1:57am On Oct 31, 2013
@Ikenna, thumbs up!

you are right on spot..if the op can just follow ur suggestion realigiously, in d real sense of the word, then he or his mech would have eradicated his problem completely

I should also add that you check other performance components just like i said earlier and clean them up as well, or out rightly replace them if they have done 1000 km and above.Replace your exhaust system(mufflers);catalytic converters; oxygen sensors with new ones. Replace your plug wires if they show sign of leakages, replace your coils too if they are bad , then you will be surprise at the performance of your car. It will turn new , you'll see and feel it yourself.
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:54pm On Nov 10, 2013
Trac:

While what you have stated is fact, another consideration is if the poster is willing to pay the higher price associated for guaranteed service. This is the problem I have gotten to observe repeatedly from nairalanders and Nigerians in real-world. Nigerians are always for the bargain. So, they cling to Nigerian mechanics and get all services at unfair bargains. I mean perpertually. The mechanic - on the other hand - is shrunk; for profit has been marginalised and often motivated to be fair and not be optimum.

Theories of how cars work can only be attained via the discipline of Mechanical Engineering or it's specific derivatives. It is deeper than what many can dedicate to. Many that work on cars don't have this. It will be unfair to expect this of the larger percentage of Nigerian mechanics. The ones with such (scientific) background charge a lot of money for their services because they guarantee their work. Nigerians tend to avoid those. They'd rather get the result of the diagnosis and opt to carry out the repairs at their own convenience.

What's stated might mitigate the symptom (effect). It is not a root-solution. The one to whom the vehicle will be given to carry out diagnoses will comprehensively "detail" the vehicle for root-cause-effects and root-cause-failures. In engineering, faults are never resolved from effects (symptoms as thread implies) and then worked upon. You end with a system that is categorised as "undependable." In systems, all problems (always) are tree-like. It is called the "fault-tree" (or deductive) and an investigation into what effects have been conjured is a fault-tree diagnosis (or deductive-diagnosis). This is a reflection to the logic that problems are always tree-like. The objective is for the root-cause/s, so that failures are completely eliminated (eradicated to prevent future occurrences) and possible preventions made. As aforestated, it requires understanding and it is always comprehensive. Sometimes, fate could have an effect to be an isolated issue; thus a surface problem with no faulty associated dependencies. Nevertheless, proper investigation is never usurped because this fact comes as conclusion after all deductions have been made. A car serviced occasionally outside of this standard approach is a "partially-functional" vehicle (no matter how well it rides). This is because there will be several unresolved root-issues that are subservient to normal vehicle operation; till ultimate failure occurs.

On scale, a basic repair is needed. It's not a big issue; although you omitted to state other effects that you are experiencing. One note of caution to you: don't go cheap. Get a reputable person and pay the cost associated for the proper workmanship. You should also get a guarantee for the service done. A good mechanic will not propose revisions (part revisions) that are questionable. If failed Toyota parts are identified, the same should be fitted in replacement or a genuine revision. Doing otherwise will be a tradeoff from dependability in favour of uncertainty. Logic will bear me witness.

Just reading this response.

I noticed that you were both thorough and methodical in your writeup above, makes me realize you have got stuff upstairs!

You have a point.

Pay to play!

I recently had to "ferry" a mechanic 500km across Nigeria to fix my car so I could return home, so totally identify with the sentiments expressed above!
Re: My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On by Trac: 1:02am On Nov 15, 2013
IdaraCHODB:

Just reading this response.

I noticed that you were both thorough and methodical in your writeup above, makes me realize you have got stuff upstairs!

You have a point.

Pay to play!

I recently had to "ferry" a mechanic 500km across Nigeria to fix my car so I could return home, so totally identify with the sentiments expressed above!

I intend (as soon as I can) to make a write-up on this. I don't know how soon it would be because it is somewhat broad and concising it becomes another hurdle. Nevertheless, every humble-minded person interested will benefit from it. :-)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Women Drive Sluggishly? / ❗Don't Buy A Car Without Inviting Me To Inspect It For You❗❗ / Do It Yourself (DIY) Tips: How To Change Your Air Filter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.