Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,911 members, 7,806,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

10 Words To Cut From Your Writing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing (1936 Views)

10 Words To Cut From Your Writing (part 2) / Rearrange These Jumbled Words To Make Meaningful Sentences / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by TRWConsult(m): 2:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
by Shanna Mallon

When you want to make your writing more powerful, cut out words you don't need--such as the 10 included in this post:

1. Just: The word "just" is a filler word that weakens your writing. Removing it rarely affects meaning, but rather, the deletion tightens a sentence.

2. Really: Using the word "really" is an example of writing the way you talk. It's a verbal emphasis that doesn't translate perfectly into text. In conversation, people use the word frequently, but in written content it's unnecessary. Think about the difference between saying a rock is "hard" and "really hard," for example. What does the word add? Better to cut it out to make your message stronger.

3. Very: Everything that applies to "really" applies to "very." It's a weak word. Cut it.

4. Perhaps/maybe: Do you want your audience to think you're uncertain about what you're saying? When you use words like "maybe" and "perhaps," uncertainty is exactly what you're communicating.

5. Quite: When someone uses "quite," he or she either means "a bit" or "completely" or "almost." Sometimes the word adds meaning; sometimes it's fluff. Learn to tell the difference--but, when in doubt, cut it out.

To continue...

https://www.facebook.com/trwconsult/posts/10151603999481486
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by Uceegal: 3:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Really?
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by Clemzy16(m): 5:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
I don't agree with you. I used these words all the times and it has never made my comment look vague. Incase you don't know, writing is a form of communication without spoken words, how is the reader suppose to feel your expressions when there is absence of dialogue?!

What about drama/movie script when the actors have to memorize the content of the storyline. Are they not suppose to utilise the aforementioned?! In my opinion, the use of just, really, very, quite etc. only make your work stronger.
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by repogirl(f): 6:42am On Oct 19, 2013
I don't quite agree with this, I use these words really frequently, perhaps this writer could be wrong? I find these words very important and not weak at all. Just because it might not work for one person, doesn't mean they are weak.

Every word has its role to play in writing.
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by OMA4U(m): 7:25pm On Oct 19, 2013
Really, perhaps, very... These words are necessary in writing. How do you make your reader feel your expression, especially in dialogue when it has to sound real. Besides, those words show the degree of the verb they adjunct.

I don't buy this joor....
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by Youngsage: 5:34pm On Oct 20, 2013
Rubbish... can't even post the full details here angry
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 6:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
lolz, I'm supposing the writer was talking about formal essays and articles and stuff like that not informal and fiction writing.....cos those just don't apply there......
Re: 10 Words To Cut From Your Writing by princesa(f): 9:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
hmm, no inhibitions in writing please.

(1) (Reply)

A Short Tale : My Night Mere, >* I Rocked *< {fiction} / See How Wearing Waist Beads Saved A Girl From Being Raped. True Story / Where Can I Get Da Vinci Code In Nigeria Or Which Company Can Order It For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.