Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,182 members, 7,780,255 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:22 AM

The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression (13178 Views)

Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water / The Dangers Of Chewing Gum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by tnature: 1:04am On Oct 19, 2013
I just read about a 35-year-old nursing mother who committed suicide few hours after dedicating her 3-months-old baby. The only reasonable explanation for such an act is Postpartum Depression, also known as postnatal depression. According to the report, the woman's husband noticed the signs of depression but it never occurred to him that she could take her life.

I was saddened by the news, so I decided to write this post to raise awareness, especially among the African community.

About 80% of new moms experience the "baby blues" in the first couple of weeks after childbirth, which are caused by hormonal changes that takes place in a woman's body after the birth of a child. Symptoms include irritability, crying spells, mood swings, trouble sleeping and sadness. These conditions are generally not serious and fades away quickly.

However, some moms experience a more severe, long-lasting form of these feelings known as Postpartum Depression. In addition to the symptoms mentioned earlier, it can also result in feeling of guilt or shame, withdrawal from friends and family, lack of joy, and difficulty bonding with the baby. It is usually treated by counseling and medication, but exercising, eating well, and getting enough rest can also help.

In rare cases, a woman may experience a severe form of depression known as Postpartum Psychosis. This condition is characterized by hallucinations, paranoia, irrational thoughts, and being a danger to oneself and the baby. This is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention because it can get worse and put the mother or others in danger.

It is important to understand that Postpartum Depression isn't a character flaw or a weakness. These changes can be caused by hormonal changes that occur after pregnancy. Any woman can get postpartum depression in the months after childbirth, stillbirth, or miscarriage.

Partners, friends, and family - your support during the first few months after pregnancy will go a long way to reduce the occurrence of Postpartum Depression.

Share Your Thoughts

Do you know anyone who has experienced Postpartum Depression? Please describe the experience and share tips on how to deal with the condition.

Source

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by dominique(f): 12:45pm On Oct 19, 2013
It happened to me when I had mt son. For the first week and half, I was irritable and cry for no reason. I wanted everybody to go away and leave me alone. What helped me get over it fast was that I knew about it, that way I was able to get a grip of myself and get over it. Sadly most Nigerians are unaware of this condition. If only women were sensitized about it at their ante-natal clinics, it will go a long way.

7 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by tnature: 8:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
dominique: It happened to me when I had mt son. For the first week and half, I was irritable and cry for no reason. I wanted everybody to go away and leave me alone. What helped me get over it fast was that I knew about it, that way I was able to get a grip of myself and get over it. Sadly most Nigerians are unaware of this condition. If only women were sensitized about it at their ante-natal clinics, it will go a long way.
Thanks for sharing your experience dominique. About 80% of women experience at least "baby blues" and a significant percent of those experience PPD. You were able to deal with it better because you've read. it.

I wish this post could make the front page so that more people are aware and they can even offer support for women going through it. At the least, when a nursing mom starts showing signs of PPD, they recognize it and not blame the woman for being mean.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by ajayi147(m): 3:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
good
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by leggo: 3:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
When i get kids ,my mother in law is moving in for some time.. so no p

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
leggo: When i get kids ,my mother in law is moving in for some time.. so no p

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by felzylix(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
Postpartum depression? Hmmm! Knowledge acquired anyway...
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
PRaise be to Lord Amadioha.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2013
Animals like Dog's are clear example of this situation, they get so irritated and sometimes kill their children, Didn't we also read about a Mama elephant that tried Killing her child whom she just gave birth to on NL Front page some few weeks ago...?

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Pangea: 4:05pm On Oct 20, 2013
I think the woman that was shot dead recently by the police near the white house, in her car, also had a bad case of PPD.
Is black women more prone than their white counterparts?

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by willyray(m): 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
my wife suffered from it with our last child
[img]http:///ogPF/.jpg[/img][img]http:///ogPN/.jpg[/img]
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by kenbee(f): 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
I even thought I don sabi sef! Anyway, thanks for the lecture. Though I still believe our mums & grannies knew about this thou they couldn't have tagged it "baby blues"

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by EnairatofroUK: 4:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
dis is quiet common,

lord help us
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by carmelion(f): 4:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
God help us.....
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by kenbee(f): 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
Sorry oh! If I may ask, is this "Baby Blues" Chelsea related?
##just joking##

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by kambah(m): 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]

It happened to my wife when she delivered our first child but thank God "the storm is over". PPD can be dangerous, it happens to both animals and humanbeings. Women needs enlightenment. Thanks @poster
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by carmelion(f): 4:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
eddiebruk: Animals like Dog's are clear example of this situation, they get so irritated and sometimes kill their children, Didn't we also read about a Mama elephant that tried Killing her child whom she just gave birth to on NL Front page some few weeks ago...?

Yeah I saw it here on FP.Even though it was an animal.The elephant was so cute It was so touching....sad
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by IFY124(f): 4:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
I did not experience it when I had my first baby, but I had it 2wks after my second child. It lasted for few days and I have read about it so it was easier 4 me to handle.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Victorchuks4(m): 4:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
Hmm! Enweghi ihe madu na agaghi anukwanu biko. God help our women

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by agohavivi(f): 4:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
I usually feel so depressed whenever my mum leaves after the traditional omugwo otherwise known as the process of taking care of a nursing mother and her baby. After the birth of my first child my mum came around and the thought of her leaving would make me feel like crying unfortunately her omugo never exceeds 3 weeks because she's still in service and has to return to work. After the birth of my first child i got so depressed cos aside my hubby who returns after work in the evening, I'm usually alone with the baby from morning till evening and that lonliness got me really depressed, infact I was looking for an excuse to go back to my fathers house. My second delivery was not so bad and unlike my first, I had my husbands cousin staying with me. She was wonderful company so I didnt feel so lonely. The truth is that it is easier for one to overcome this feeling when she has caring and understanding relatives around especially the mum also I discourage the idea that the mother-in law should be the one to stay with a woman at this moment because she would never be as understanding as a mother afterall I could comfortably tell my mum to prepare somthing for me to eat whereas doing same with my mum-in -law, would sound insulting to her. GBAM!

23 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by dheaven: 4:37pm On Oct 20, 2013
The enlightment is ok.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by chimex38: 4:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
tnature: I just read about a 35-year-old nursing mother who committed suicide few hours after dedicating her 3-months-old baby. The only reasonable explanation for such an act is Postpartum Depression, also known as postnatal depression.
U shld have told her dis b4 she died nw its useless cause our single n searching nairalanders are not gettin married soon & would probably 4get it. No woman thinks rational when angry not 2 talk of remembering d effect of Postpartum Depression grin .

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by greatestman(m): 4:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
agoha_vivi: I usually feel so depressed whenever my mum leaves after the traditional omugwo otherwise known as the process of taking care of a nursing mother and her baby. After the birth of my first child my mum came around and the thought of her leaving would make me feel like crying unfortunately her omugo never exceeds 3 weeks because she's still in service and has to return to work. After the birth of my first child i got so depressed cos aside my hubby who returns after work in the evening, I'm usually alone with the baby from morning till evening and that lonliness got me really depressed, infact I was looking for an excuse to go back to my fathers house. My second delivery was not so bad and unlike my first, I had my husbands cousin staying with me. She was wonderful company so I didnt feel so lonely. The truth is that it is easier for one to overcome this feeling when she has caring and understanding relatives around especially the mum also I discourage the idea that the mother-in law should be the one to stay with a woman at this moment because she would never be as understanding as a mother afterall I could comfortably tell my mum to prepare somthing for me to eat whereas doing same with my mum-in -law, would sound insulting to her. GBAM!
tru talk
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by priscasmart(f): 4:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
more awareness,less problems

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by gbengaola: 5:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
I wish this PDP administration knows about this and organise a seminar on the danger of PPD,lol,anyway this is NOTED,women are really trying,I love them all.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
Knowledge definitely gained. Thanks alot Op
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by tnature: 5:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
chimex38:
U shld have told her dis b4 she died nw its useless cause our single n searching nairalanders are not gettin married soon & would probably 4get it. No woman thinks rational when angry not 2 talk of remembering d effect of Postpartum Depression grin .
Though sarcastic, it's such a myopic view. While this won't bring back the deceased, I sure hope it prevents another death, even if it's just one life saved. Also, I hope it educates us to be better support system for nursing mothers in our families.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
thanks op, i wonder how our ancient parents handled such problem in thier days?

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by dasparrow: 5:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
@Post

I have heard of women committing suicide because of postpartum depression. It is a dangerous mental illness caused by hormone imbalance. Women ought to educate themselves about it or better yet, adopt kids instead. Nigeria is overcrowded as it is and no jobs for the youths that are already in the world.
Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by onyichick(f): 5:30pm On Oct 20, 2013
i work in a psychiatric hospital n we get to see a lot these cases.some r so severe dat they hv to be on anti pschotics for a very long time.alot of pple r not aware of this n some take dem to traditional healers where they r flogged n even sexually molested all in d name of chasing out d evil spirit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 20, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

I have heard of women committing suicide because of postpartum depression. It is a dangerous mental illness caused by hormone imbalance. Women ought to educate themselves about it or better yet, adopt kids instead. Nigeria is overcrowded as it is and no jobs for the youths that are already in the world.

Well said, but Bros the kids wey dem go adopt go fall from sky ni?

4 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression by parismarc: 6:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
Thanks 4 the information,I believe that's what am currently experiencing,I gave birth 4 weeks ago and sometimes,a feeling of intense sadness overwhelms me,I feel life is meaningless,I hope the feeling goes away sha.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are You Having Issues Getting Pregnant?or Trying To Concieve? Then Try This / Monkeypox: Family Of Suicide Victim In Bayelsa Blames Hospital's Negligence. / Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.