Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping (9078 Views)

Position Of Nigerian Law For Biafra / Police Arrest FCT Minister’s Nephew, Three Others For Kidnapping / US Considers Special Residency Law For Victor Sopuruchi Chukwueke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by olatade(m): 6:10am On Oct 19, 2013
EDO State governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole has signed into law the “Kidnapping Prohibition Law 2009” as recently amended by the Edo State House of Assembly.
The law prescribes death penalty for anyone who is involved in any form of kidnapping in the state.
Oshiomhole while appending his signature to the Bill yesterday in Benin said, “That as reluctant as one would want to be in matters of life and death, I am convinced that the overriding public interest now dictates that we invoke the maximum penalty available in our law to all those involved in the act of kidnapping. Anyone sentenced and convicted; I will sign the death warrant”

“But criminals have a choice to abstain from criminality, abstain from kidnapping, abstain from killing so that they in turn can live and enjoy the good things of life”, just as he insisted that those who argued that the problem of kidnapping came from unemployment should not simplify a very complex issue as kidnappers do not have state of origin and they were migrants and do not respect neither state, national or international boundaries.
He assured Edo people that everything was being done to ensure that security agencies put in place a comprehensive network that would ensure effective policing of the various security flash points across the state.
“I am convinced that all of us in the three arms of government, that is, the Legislative, the Executive and the Judiciary do have a responsibility to make laws and enforce those laws in a way that will send clear signals to those involved in various acts of criminality be they kidnappers, murderers, rapists and whoever they are that the security agencies are now much more determined than ever before to ensure that this state becomes too hot for criminals to operate”
“I am aware from reports of those who have been arrested over the period that the overwhelming majority of these criminals are migrant criminals who came from neighboring states and sometimes from far away states to perpetrate various crimes in EdoState and escaped back to their states across the country”
“I want to assure the good people of Edo state that the government is concerned with the state of kidnapping. We share the pains, agony and trauma which the victims of kidnap and other violent crimes are subjected to or experienced”, adding that everything was being done to keep the criminals in check.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/oshiomhole-signs-death-penalty-law-kidnapping/

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by kingarizona(m): 7:08am On Oct 19, 2013
huh!!! DEATH P.K, oga osho no even give FREE-KICK

that's good for them

Now.... Back to the mata, I don come again, I know say una know me, but if to say I no be elderly person for nairaland I for don shout FIRST TO COMMENT, but seems I don old, make I just keep quiet like say nothing happen lipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by mazizitonene(m): 11:16am On Oct 19, 2013
Imagine...no comment..d thing dey front page..1st tym bn d first 2 comment for FP material from and on FP...abi nairalanders don finally get work ?
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by YusufG: 11:16am On Oct 19, 2013
2nd to comment.click like to ceebrate with me

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by cashkid18(m): 11:17am On Oct 19, 2013
olatade: EDO State governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole has signed into law the “Kidnapping Prohibition Law 2009” as recently amended by the Edo State House of Assembly.
The law prescribes death penalty for anyone who is involved in any form of kidnapping in the state.
Oshiomhole while appending his signature to the Bill yesterday in Benin said, “That as reluctant as one would want to be in matters of life and death, I am convinced that the overriding public interest now dictates that we invoke the maximum penalty available in our law to all those involved in the act of kidnapping. Anyone sentenced and convicted; I will sign the death warrant”

“But criminals have a choice to abstain from criminality, abstain from kidnapping, abstain from killing so that they in turn can live and enjoy the good things of life”, just as he insisted that those who argued that the problem of kidnapping came from unemployment should not simplify a very complex issue as kidnappers do not have state of origin and they were migrants and do not respect neither state, national or international boundaries.
He assured Edo people that everything was being done to ensure that security agencies put in place a comprehensive network that would ensure effective policing of the various security flash points across the state.
“I am convinced that all of us in the three arms of government, that is, the Legislative, the Executive and the Judiciary do have a responsibility to make laws and enforce those laws in a way that will send clear signals to those involved in various acts of criminality be they kidnappers, murderers, rapists and whoever they are that the security agencies are now much more determined than ever before to ensure that this state becomes too hot for criminals to operate”
“I am aware from reports of those who have been arrested over the period that the overwhelming majority of these criminals are migrant criminals who came from neighboring states and sometimes from far away states to perpetrate various crimes in EdoState and escaped back to their states across the country”
“I want to assure the good people of Edo state that the government is concerned with the state of kidnapping. We share the pains, agony and trauma which the victims of kidnap and other violent crimes are subjected to or experienced”, adding that everything was being done to keep the criminals in check.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/oshiomhole-signs-death-penalty-law-kidnapping/
noted cool cool
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by 3ace(m): 11:17am On Oct 19, 2013
Hope it curbs it.
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by 3ace(m): 11:18am On Oct 19, 2013
cashkid18: noted cool cool
And you quoted it to say "noted"?

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by chemvic: 11:19am On Oct 19, 2013
Let him that have ears hear....! Edo state is saying enough is enough...! I await the day corruption will have the same penalty....!

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by bufness(m): 11:20am On Oct 19, 2013
thumbs up!!
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by ballabriggs: 11:21am On Oct 19, 2013

Can anyone guess where these migrants are from?

No be me talk am O, na Oshiobaba dey talk. cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Arosa(m): 11:21am On Oct 19, 2013
Death penalty is not a deterrent to crime. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by geesilver(m): 11:22am On Oct 19, 2013
Now their money making biz is under treat...........ℓ̊ hope this will curb it sha
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by stanley99a(m): 11:22am On Oct 19, 2013
This is a gud step, because igs becomin too much for this kidnappers. Hw which death PK can also be signed for these our corrupt leaders.... Just tinkin aloud though
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by delegiwa(m): 11:23am On Oct 19, 2013
The lure of fast money...
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by nmalove91(f): 11:23am On Oct 19, 2013
Join joined this stuff now, wait i ve not even read the post
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by skyscraperTM(m): 11:23am On Oct 19, 2013
Does the law apply to those who do not harm their victims?!

what about those that kidnap their loved ones just to extort money from them?!

In my opinion, death penalty is not suitable for these kindof offences.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by cashkid18(m): 11:23am On Oct 19, 2013
3ace: And you quoted it to say "noted"?
wat else do u wnt me to say
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by naijamd(m): 11:24am On Oct 19, 2013
Fair enough, you don't just kidnap a person and hope to get a light sentence when caught. corrupt officials who squander the destiny of future generations also deserve a sentence as severe if not more severe.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 19, 2013
Goodmove <IMHO>. Yes sm1 wld say civilised climes are doing away with the DP bt i'd ask, is Nigeria a civilisd region? I think our laws shld be adapted to our regional peculiarities, thats y i get so edgy when d world bank & IMF try to shove some bogous macroeconomic policies down our throat in the name of .......god-knws-what. Bottom line: the Edo lawmakerz knw whats best for their region.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 19, 2013
I so much agree with him!
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by ennon92(m): 11:25am On Oct 19, 2013
Adams! Adams!! Adams!!! How many times did I call u?...but smh u wicked gan o... Y death penarity na. Una wey be hardened criminal, u no sign death penalty... Abeg, cool temper make u review dat austerity of such law.
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Sermwell(m): 11:26am On Oct 19, 2013
Gud job oshiomole! But i think corruption should also get the death sentence!
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Haywhymido(m): 11:26am On Oct 19, 2013
Wise one. FG shd sign d same 4 terrorism, suicide bombers
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 19, 2013
click 'like' if u think this bloke is dull

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by cashkid18(m): 11:27am On Oct 19, 2013
ballabriggs:

Can anyone guess where these migrants are from?

No be me talk am O, na Oshiobaba dey talk. cheesy cheesy cheesy
let me help u out:they frm oduduwa republic wic include osun,ogun,oyo,ekiti,ondo

4 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by 3ace(m): 11:27am On Oct 19, 2013
cashkid18: wat else do u wnt me to say
You did not need to quote that lengthy report to pass that comment. Stop wasting space.
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by Afroconnect: 11:27am On Oct 19, 2013
Since dem no wan hear word...its a case of pushing one to the wall-either you react or be consumed.
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by chimex38: 11:27am On Oct 19, 2013
One of Oshiomoles kindred don carry our daughter in d name of marriage without complete brideprice undecided
no b kidnap b dat?undecided

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by cashkid18(m): 11:30am On Oct 19, 2013
3ace: You did not need to quote that lengthy report to pass that comment. Stop wasting space.
hw e take concern u if i dey waste space,na u get d space
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by ballabriggs: 11:30am On Oct 19, 2013
cashkid18: let me help u out:they frm oduduwa republic wic include osun,ogun,oyo,ekiti,ondo

GBAM!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by bufness(m): 11:30am On Oct 19, 2013
y quotinq such a lonq story jst 2 tell us tat its "noted"
Re: Oshiomhole Signs Death-Penalty Law For Kidnapping by DollyParton1(f): 11:30am On Oct 19, 2013
Good. Same should go for any corrupt elected and non elected public office holders.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Military Rescued 11,595 Boko Haram Captives Under Me – President Buhari / Court Vacates Forfeiture Order On Senator Nwaoboshi’s Assets / Fayemi: Governors To Implement Autonomy For State Assemblies, Judiciary In May

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.