Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,918 members, 7,802,985 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! (109431 Views)

Memorable Stories From English Secondary School Textbooks!!!! / Sad Stories From A Depressed Writer / Dele Momodu’s Photo Album And Other Stories From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by olarevo: 2:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
Can you still remember Toma and Tani, also Mr Garuba and Mrs Garuba?
The story line is going to kano is devided into three parts;
On the farm
leaving the farm
going to kano.
Late 70s
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by MightyFortress: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
Who knows where I can get a Time Machine please? I need to go back 20 years in time!! Awwww... Sweet sad memories of childhood! undecidedWho knows where I can get a Time Machine please? I need to go back 20 years in time!! Awwww... Sweet sad memories of childhood!

3 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by cjokes: 3:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
Agbo lives in a town of lagoon which is not far from ibadan, he went to primary school and he was in primary 4, every one lykes agbo because he was friendly.....his father bougth him a watch and agbo was very proud of it. One morning,................wow! still can remember some few lines after soo many years. Good old days mannn! macmillan pry4
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by cjokes: 4:03pm On Oct 21, 2013
lol, how abt Gandoki and alhaji dipcherima.............Gandoki began d story of his meeting with his men Durugan Habama.....very interesting story cant remeber the class bt i guese it was macmillan pry4
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ghozye(f): 4:40pm On Oct 21, 2013
Elizabethoni:
Also the man who stole banana abi oranges with coins from a "careless" trader,I so remember the picture/graphics.

yea,n whn a meetin wz called 4 @ d palace,he stole d king's coin!
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by alexola20(m): 5:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
Mr and Mrs Bako.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by gabby4p: 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2013
nd so?
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by afeezabbeyyaho(m): 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2013
princesa: Good old days mehn! *nostalgic* cheesy

I remember Agbo, Wakama, Mr. NWosu and his two daughters, Mike and his girlfriend, Simbi and Ali, Eze...

Then, the literatures: without a silver spoon, sugar girl, Ade our naughty little brother, Tesa (sweet mother), Eze goes to school, Koku Baboni, Ige Adubi (the vineyard), Chike and the river etc...

There are so much that am dying of nostalgia now.sad

But years later guys...

Simbi is now in Italy doing lipsrsealed
Eze is now a businessman in Main market, Onitsha
Ali should be a father by now
Tesa is happily married with children
Agbo has gone out to seek greener pastures...
Chike owns a big hospital in Abuja
Ade now scolds his naughty sons

because No time again! cool
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by KBARBIE(f): 6:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
who remembered akin the drummer boy.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Twinmama(f): 7:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
I attended public school too and i can still remember Mr. Nwosu with those chicken and white rice on the tabke.
Sugar girl- Ralia
The passport of Mallam Ilia
Mr. Bako (travelled round Nigeria)
Audu, Etim, the rabbit wearing shoe
The incoruptible judge(Agbalowomeri)
nikkypearl: i attended public school;(
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by cycline404(m): 7:57pm On Oct 21, 2013
KBARBIE: who remembered akin the drummer boy.

The Blind Guy
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Twinmama(f): 8:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
Wow thanks for this, this poem is my favourite
dr.laykay:
Mr sada is a farmer, he lives in sapele, he has a big farm.he grows yam,cassava and groundnuts.every saturday he goes to farm bt on sundays,he goes to church.can u see his church in the picture? grin

This is the key of the kingdom
In dat kingdom there is a city
In that city there is a town
In that town there is a street
In that street there is a lane
On that lane there is a yard
In that yard,there is a house
In that house there is a room
In that room there is a bed
On that bed there is a basket
In that basket,there are some flowers
Flowers in d basket,basket on the bed
Bed in the room,room in the house
House in the yard,yard on the lane
Lane in the street,street in the town
Town in the city,city in the kingdom
Of that kingdom,this is the key grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by prettyboi1(m): 8:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
Damn I would have felt terribly bad if I didn't comment on this thread. I remember a lot of those English text book stories man. Ali & Simbi, etc I remember stories from "Mastering English" textbook such as "the three Billy goats." "Who will bell the cat?" "Kalu & the false alarm"etc.
Then also the literature books back then....I'm only going to list two of my all-time favourites which are/were Koku Baboni & Sugar girl.

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by folafola(m): 8:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
nikkypearl: i attended public school;(
same here
Mr Bako
Ali and the angel
Mr Giwa is a shopkepper
etc
in our N.O.E.C in the public school
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by folafola(m): 8:44pm On Oct 21, 2013
toyinolaigbe: i could remember my primary 3 English text book, writing by G.O FAGUNWA, (MR GIWA IS A SHOP KEEPER). VERY INTERESTING
D O Fagunwa pls
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by jennyfire007(f): 8:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
Hahahahhaha none of u remembers alake that was kidnapped by the wicked magician olu..and was rescude by her busband.....hw can I forget bout the sack of coins the man found and lived hapily eva afta...it made me dig da hell outa my grand pas farm...lools

3 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by herkeym001(m): 10:10pm On Oct 21, 2013
Shey una don remember well well

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by cahnellven: 11:00pm On Oct 21, 2013
all this talk about yam is making me hungry,said alade, nonsense,said mr bako. .classic line from the bakos tour . I am gandoki,the father of garba,gandoki,d war chief of muslim,i live a charmed life. Clasic war song from gandoki
simbi is a gal who loves skipping while ali loves playing football

hard as i try,i simply cant remember who wakama is,bt i can remember audu,ali,simbi,edet,mr bassey,mr sada,agbo and the rest . Good old days
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Suzie0(f): 1:26am On Oct 22, 2013
Lorry driver, lorry driver,will u take me 4 a ride? Yes i will take u little man climb on the stairs & jump inside.look @ d pishur,can u c d big lorry? It is goin...

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Suzie0(f): 1:33am On Oct 22, 2013
Going to Lagos,the driver is talking to the Police man,the Police said:drive carefully,don't drive fast. The driver said: i drive carefully i don't drive fast i am a good driver.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Onosbillion(m): 3:33am On Oct 22, 2013
Yeah! I can still remember, Gandoki the father of Garba. Gandoki the chief war of the muslims. He lived in a charm life. (Pry 4 Reader). A stranger in the village who thought and called the villagers "fools" for leaving their goods outside. (Pry 5 Reader). The man who will build our roads, the man who will build our houses, the man on whom we placed our hopes, welcome Mike the Engineeeeeer! (Mike's arrival from England-Pry 4 reader). Adamu is a cattle boy (pry 3 reader), Ali & Simbi, Mr. Sarda is a farmer, mr. Salami, (pry 2 reader), Edet lives in Calabar. He is eight yrs old. Every morning he goes to school. But in the afternoon he stays at home... Bla bla bla. Just like dat. LOL. Edet and Uncle Udoh.(pry 3 reader). Agbo lives in the town of Lagoon(pry 4) Eze Goes to School. Eze the most brilliant boy in Amah village. LOL! Oldies!

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Valo29: 6:18am On Oct 22, 2013
Does anyone remember One Week One Trouble?

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 22, 2013
The school play called princess habiba,
Ali the driver who kept saying he is the king of the road,until the day he nearly killed a dog whilst on speed.
Obi and Nneka in primary six,Obi was a boy scout,Nneka belonged to the girl guides and the story why dogs live with men.Remember?
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Gilbertman(m): 6:51am On Oct 22, 2013
Kudos to all on here above.This was one thread that no one abuse the other and all were just going down memory lane.
I could identify with some of the posts. I read Alawiyes, the D.O Fagunwas,Akuni the beautiful Girl, MAbel Segun's My father's daughter,Taiwo ati Kehinde,the incorruptible judge etc
Those days were rich, well nurtured and enriched times!! Oliver Twist,David Cooperfield. Somehow I have problem differentiating which I read in Pry or Sec. I remembered I read quite a few...Mind and intellect were not with any much worries then,lively qualitative lives.As a matter of fact those were my best times, but one cant go back or remain that no more!!! Life goes on...
Well done to the OP.
There was this song of the hen that the hunter threw away for not laying eggs. I think the story or the book was The hunter and the hen.
...Hunter bought me from the market
he rared me and wait on me to lay eggs,
hunter was impatient and threw me over the fence into the bush.
Rain shine,
I lay 7 eggs, hatch all
I no longer belongs to nobody,
I am free and happy

The song may not be like that but that was the general theme that I could remember.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Atobeia(f): 9:55am On Oct 22, 2013
Who knows the name of this man who lived and farmed in Sapele? grin
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Atobeia(f): 10:02am On Oct 22, 2013
herkeym001: Shey una don remember well well
...Where did you get the textbook?!...We read the story as if we no go read anything for life again...Na on top table cooking sure pass now be that o.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Twinmama(f): 10:24am On Oct 22, 2013
folafola:
same here
Mr Bako
Ali and the angel
Mr Giwa is a shopkepper
etc
cheesy
folafola:
same here
Mr Bako
Ali and the angel
Mr Giwa is a shopkepper
etc

Do you remember Angazi, that old man who has 2 chiken one goat and lived in a hut, went to a town where the people there speak a different language, so anything he asked they reply Angazi.
Along the way he saw people crying and wailing, carrying a dead body, again he asked "who is that dead person"? They replied Angazi. He thought to himself, "Angazi is a rich man who has everything in that town but is dead, i am a poor old man, i have only 2 chicken and one goat, lived in a little hut, but very happy.
But the real meaning of angazi is 'i don't understand what you are saying'
Also karanda and kirindi, injenico,
Also the Yoruba literature pry 1 to 6. Ina ati Omi, Awodi, ijapa ati efon,oriki iyan, òle (o tori amala ba won gb'oku r'oyo), and many more

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Twinmama(f): 10:37am On Oct 22, 2013
folafola:
D O Fagunwa pls
Ireke onibudo, Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole(my favourite Akara oogun) Orangodoganyin, igbo olodumare

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Edibaby: 10:50am On Oct 22, 2013
Who remember abt Agbo's elder broda Mike? Abt his return frm...is it England? De gifts he gav Agbo...camera,his wedding
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Tempsokes(m): 10:51am On Oct 22, 2013
Day by day English reader!!!
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Twinmama(f): 10:56am On Oct 22, 2013
cumz: ASUU... wetin I do u?
See ur mouth self, instead of u to pray that our Govt. should create a lasting solution once and for all in our education sector so that those things we enjoyed during our own time thats making us cherish those memories will continue. Our education now is WORSE, compare to our own time 20- 25 yrs ago. Nowadays Pupils cant remember what they are being taught last term let alone 2 yrs ago.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Secrets Of the gods / Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) / A Male Child Is More Beneficial Than A Female Child In Nigeria(see Why)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.