Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

A Thread For Body Builders - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Thread For Body Builders (64170 Views)

Body-builders Please Get In Here / Forever Lite Ultra With Aminotein Shake Good For Sports People, Body Builders / Vitamin & Minerla Supplements For Body Builders! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Body Builders by joaquin64(m): 6:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
Omo_Alata:

I don't follow the eating 6-7 times a day and I am in a very good shape. I don't believe in one rule fits all, you have to find what works well for your lifestyle. Portion control is the key. Every athletes struggle with diet, so common

True! its the same thing I learned too. We just have to know the basics and then proceed to find what works for us after trial and errors. simple!
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by joaquin64(m): 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
@prof D Seeing you have decided not to reply any of my posts and the last question I asked you...
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by KaceeDcontrol(m): 6:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
My question is directed to experienced body builders on this thread.
How often do you work a particular body part/muscle in a week?
How many reps and sets do you do for each muscle?
How long/ how many minutes do your workouts last to avoid over training?
From ur experience what works best for results?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by ProfessorD(m): 6:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
joaquin64: @prof D Seeing you have decided not to reply any of my posts and the last question I asked you...

Sorry sir i will anwser shortly
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by ProfessorD(m): 6:40pm On Oct 22, 2013
joaquin64:

What are your current body stats? You on a bulk now?
Weight 176 lbs
Height 6 ft 2
am not on a bulk....being going clean since I started
joaquin64:

What are your current body stats? You on a bulk now?
Weight 176 lbs
Height 6 ft 2
am not on a bulk....being going clean since I started
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by mkoabiola: 7:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
I prefer dumb bell for most of my programme.
A pix will do justice.
Can som1 highlights d usefulness of dumbell?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by Tyche(m): 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
Omo_Alata:

I am happy to challenge you. To get the ideal body that you want, it requires a lot of hard work and sweat. I think it takes at least minimum one yr. Rome was not built in a day

I gladly welcome that.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by Nep2une(m): 7:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
Again I am an ectomorph and I have skinny thighs will leg day once a week be sufficient
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by joaquin64(m): 7:22pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nep2une: Again I am an ectomorph and I have skinny thighs will leg day once a week be sufficient

Yes, if you hit them hard with squats and deadlift using heavy weight and maintaining great form. If you dont see enough progress and decide to go twice a week, then I suggest you spread them out for instance on 1st day you can do squats, leg press and calve raises on 2nd day you can focus on deadlifts and other isolation exercises for the hamstrings and inner quads using the appropriate machines.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by deebrain(m): 7:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
wow. Lovely. Just got knowledge of this thread. Yaaay! Big ups to those with the initiative for this thread.

Question.
I had an issue with muscle pull few weeks ago. I ignored it cos it did not affect my favorite dumbell exercises (shoulder pressing and rows) and push ups. Issue is, after doing the exercises without issues, the pain (of the muscle pull) returns when u are relaxing...or doing yr normal day work. Pls advice...

Merci in advancecheesy
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by 2rez: 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
KaceeDcontrol: My question is directed to experienced body builders on this thread.
How often do you work a particular body part/muscle in a week?
How many reps and sets do you do for each muscle?
How long/ how many minutes do your workouts last to avoid over training?
From ur experience what works best for results?

Diz workout log should help out.

Re: A Thread For Body Builders by deebrain(m): 7:34pm On Oct 22, 2013
mko abiola: I prefer dumb bell for most of my programme.
A pix will do justice.
Can som1 highlights d usefulness of dumbell?

Love dumbells too. Dumbells are more flexible to use than bars. Bars restrict too much. Dumbells allow u to know yr strong/weak part easily. U can also train that "weak" part exclusively to match up with the strong part, via dumbells.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by Ugosample(m): 7:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
plendil: Stay away from supplements. Apart from not having any proven benefit, they are a waste of money (being qiute expensive as most would know), and can actually be harmful, especially the very high protein and/or steroid containing supplements.
Are you sure about this?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by stepone(m): 7:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
Pls guys, where can I find a good gym in Ibadan. Just a starter and I will love to involve myself.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by Nep2une(m): 8:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nice thread Tanks for the replies who has any pdf or ebook on body weight exercises trying to learn the correct form for pistol squat that tin hard
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by OmoAlata1(f): 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nep2une: Nice thread Tanks for the replies who has any pdf or ebook on body weight exercises trying to learn the correct form for pistol squat that tin hard

I have some ebooks, sent pm
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by 50calibre(m): 8:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
I'm not a bodybuilder, but I love fitness. I have lots if fitness friends & even a bodybuilder friend.

Years ago, I used to be slim ( not too thin ) but not as buff as I would have liked. Back then I look at muscular guys with admiration, my friend who was already into bodybuilding, would come to our house looking all buff, & id be asking him how he did it. I tried loads of stuffs, whey protein, creatine powder, loads of stuff, I'd just get a little muscle definition, very little gains & that was it. At the gym, id look at the big guys & say " which day would I be like this "

This went on, till I found the ultimate answer to getting big - TO GET BIG, YOU'VE GOT TO EAT BIG simple!! I being a person with high metabolism, I knew I had to basically consume way more calories than I expend. An average male needs to consume 2500 calories daily to stay healthy, I began consuming 3500 - 4000 calories daily.

I made sure I consumed quality protein ( chicken, beef, steak, egg, beans ), enough carbs, vitamins, fruits & veg. No!! I didn't follow the rule of eating healthy, I basically ate anything I wanted, junk foods, anything!! Because I knew I needed size first. I ate like an animal, trained like an animal, under 6 months, I shot up from 150lbs to 215lbs, it was magical.

HOW I DID IT

1 - I ate multiple times a day, basically I has to ingest at least 3500 cal everyday

2 - I always had my mouth moving, I was always eating

3 - I stayed off cardio ( kept it minimal ), I needed to conserve energy, not burn.

4 - I trained very hard, not over training but intensive enough. I has no fixed routine, I just went with the flow & tried to challenge my body, basically to build muscle mass, you've got to tear up the muscles, & allow it time to heal.

My regimen

* Bench press (2 sets * 12 reps)
* Dumbell curls ( 2 sets * 12 reps)
* Tricep extentions (3 sets * 12 reps) I focused a lot on this, because triceps make up more than 70% of the arms, to get bigger arms, you need bigger triceps
* pull ups (2 sets * 12 reps)
* Barbell squats (3 sets * 12 reps)
* Sit ups ( varying from 50 upwards )

I mix them up, according to what soothes me for the day, no fixed routine, I just increase the weight periodically.

Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up that size, keeping such amount of muscle for my height & frame, required constant fuel ( food ) building muscles ain't the issue, it's keeping it, muscles consume more energy (kj)

I'm now down to 194lbs.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Body Builders by ProfessorD(m): 8:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nep2une: Nice thread Tanks for the replies who has any pdf or ebook on body weight exercises trying to learn the correct form for pistol squat that tin hard
Dont have a pdf but you can searchh for it on youtube...and yes it requires great form to execute
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by OmoAlata1(f): 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
50calibre, how much was your grocery bill? lol. I can't eat that much, I will get sick. I eat between 1500-1800 (sometimes more, sometimes less)
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by joaquin64(m): 8:52pm On Oct 22, 2013
@50calibre, from that routine I take it you dont train legs at all. no?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by 50calibre(m): 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Omo_Alata: 50calibre, how much was your grocery bill? lol. I can't eat that much, I will get sick. I eat between 1500-1800 (sometimes more, sometimes less)

My grocery bill was huge, I was spending about £80/week just on food, I had recently come into a lot of money at the time, so money wasn't the problem.

Later I began to question the essence of my monstrous eating, was it really shrewd to keep spending such on just food, when I wasn't a professional athlete, I had to cut down.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by 50calibre(m): 8:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
joaquin64: @50calibre, from that routine I take it you dont train legs at all. no?

No I train legs like crazy, I didn't want to end up with a huge upper body & chicken legs.

I did barbell squats a lot
Calf raise
Hamstring & quads extensions.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by OmoAlata1(f): 9:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
50calibre:

My grocery bill was huge, I was spending about £80/week just on food, I had recently come into a lot of money at the time, so money wasn't the problem.

Later I began to question the essence of my monstrous eating, was it really shrewd to keep spending such on just food, when I wasn't a professional athlete, I had to cut down.

I am not surprised by the amount you spent on food. I once did a program in my early days that required me to eat 2200 calories a day, it was pure hell. I lasted one wk before I quit. Have you made it ok with your mind now about not gaining mass?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by 50calibre(m): 9:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
Omo_Alata:

I am not surprised by the amount you spent on food. I once did a program in my early days that required me to eat 2200 calories a day, it was pure hell. I lasted one wk before I quit. Have you made it ok with your mind now about not gaining mass ?

That's the issue, you can't eat such amounts without feeling sick. thing is, with time you'd get so used to it, that once you haven't eaten that much, you'd feel so hungry.

The sick feeling is not just you, it's everyone. I've heard stories of how much Hollywood actors had to eat, to bulk up for movie roles.

To me I've broken the myth of " I can't gain mass ", everyone can gain, it's question of how much are you willing to take in.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by fubbyy(m): 9:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
i quit pushing weight because my left chest was getting bigger than my right chest,how can i correct this and whats the cause?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by sultan003(m): 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
50calibre:

That's the issue, you can't eat such amounts without feeling sick. thing is, with time you'd get so used to it, that once you haven't eaten that much, you'd feel so hungry.

The sick feeling is not just you, it's everyone. I've heard stories of how much Hollywood actors had to eat, to bulk up for movie roles.

To me I've broken the myth of " I can't gain mass ", everyone can gain, it's question of how much are you willing to take in.

Mark wahlberg ate 12times a day to gain mass for the role he played in pain and gain.
@50caliber, when you gained mass, did you get stronger?
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by nanauju(f): 9:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
Gwekzy: If U can get ur hands on whey protein it ll make tinz easier 4 U...2 be a successful body builder supplements re inevitable...N whey protein has been tested n trusted..no side effect,no overdose inshort its popularly called d magic powder..it doesn't only get rid of unnecessary body fat but tone ur muscles coupled wit good workouts..jst google it
pls how can I get this whey protein here in Nigeria. Most pharmacies claim that they don't have an idea about it and a guy friend of mine told me to help him check the price. Soo pls if u have any info on this whey protein stuff, like the price and where to get it, holla me. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by claremont(m): 10:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
plendil: Stay away from supplements. Apart from not having any proven benefit, they are a waste of money (being qiute expensive as most would know), and can actually be harmful, especially the very high protein and/or steroid containing supplements.
Wrong statement. 99.9% of all bodybuilders use one form of supplement or the other because they know that it is virtually impossible to get the required amount of protein needed for massive muscle growth from food. The 0.1% who say they do not use supplements are probably on some form of steroids.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in using protein shakes as a healthy way to supplement a normal protein-rich diet.
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by Underground: 10:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
sultan003:
Variety of food?? You mean hormone induced chicken, beef, veggies and others abi? besides if you are not earning any income trying such experiments is a disaster waiting to happen.

Exactly! And yes,body building isnt for the poor man. Supplements and the sheer amount of food is quite an expensive undertaking
Re: A Thread For Body Builders by Underground: 10:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
fubbyy: i quit pushing weight because my left chest was getting bigger than my right chest,how can i correct this and whats the cause?

That's a weird one. Perhaps you exert more force or push harder with one arm more than the other. You should have an experienced bodybuilder spot you when you lift and try and figure out what the problem could be.

Or it could be that you have always had this anomaly and it took you carrying weights to make it obvious?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

What Is The Most Strong Weight Loss Pills ? / Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno / Maggots Coming Out From A Woman's Head (Viewers Discretion Advised)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.