Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

"Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU (1862 Views)

Kaduna Pupils Eat El-rufai's Free Food On The Floors Of Their Classrooms (PICS) / Governor Lamido Appeals To ASUU To End Strike / What Happened To ASUU And The Called Nec Meeting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by jaidor: 5:44pm On Oct 19, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on
Saturday in Ado-Ekiti appealed to members of the
Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to
return to the classrooms in the interest of their
students. He made the appeal at the inauguration of the
College of Engineering Complex at the Afe Babalola
University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD), Ekiti State. The three-storey college complex was also named
after the President. Jonathan urged ASUU members to heed his appeal
saying that whatever their grievances might be,
keeping students out of school for four months
was unpatriotic. “I once again appeal to the entire membership of
ASUU to pause and ponder on the adverse effect of
their action on the future of the vibrant youths of
this great nation. “The collective destiny of tens of thousands of
tomorrow’s leaders should not be held hostage to
vagaries of labour disputes. “As long as we are humans, as long as we are a
developing society, this labour dispute must come
up. “I always say that even in the developed societies
we hear about labour dispute; and there is no
society, even the most developed, that has
provided the facilities for every worker. “Our security services, the Police, the Armed Forces,
Navy, Air Force and para-military, intelligent
services are also operating in an environment that
is not the best. “If all of us should go on long strike because our
environment is not at its optimum, then definitely
we can never get the Nigeria of our dream. “So, let me use this unique opportunity that I am
interfacing with our future leaders, our students, to
plead with ASUU members. “If it is a genuine strike keeping students out of
classrooms for almost four months, by that they
have demonstrated to everybody that they have a
case. “And if the strike is motivated by some other
interests, they have also achieved that by keeping
students out of schools for more than a semester,”
he said. The President emphasised that the freedom of
association and the right of workers to go on strike
should not be abused to harm the country’s
interest. “I believe that labour has the right to go on strike,
but in that strike, any action taken must be built on
patriotic zeal. “In as much as you can go on strike, you must be
patriotic to our country. “No matter how and what you feel about Mr
president and the federal government, I plead with
ASUU that for the sake of our students, they should
resume classes,” he said. President Jonathan assured all that the government
would continue to work with all Nigerians to build
a better country for all and future generation. He noted that as long government had shown
commitment to improving the qualities of
infrastructure in the universities and the operating
environment, ASUU should reconsider its stand. Jonathan noted that if students of private
universities could get their degrees within three
and half years as witnessed in ABUAD, “it is
unacceptable that students of public institutions are
kept for extra one or two years”.

source: www.vanguardng.com/2013/10/return-classrooms-jonathan-appeals-ASUU/
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Appliedmaths(m): 5:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
The man is being sincere and honest. He knows too well that "presently" he and his kabal can't meet ASUU's demand. So over to you ASUU, the ball is in your court.

3 Likes

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Gwekzy: 5:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Not a good speech 4rm a country's leader
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by amlos007(m): 5:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Lets wait and c
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by angelamina(f): 5:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
cry embarassedI pray they listen!
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by delkuf(m): 5:59pm On Oct 19, 2013
To pause and ponder. Look at wht our president is saying, but he didn't pause and ponder, when he increase the allowances of big belle senators, now to increase to salaries of ASUU members, he want them to pause and ponder
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Mascotizer: 5:59pm On Oct 19, 2013
“Our security services, the Police, the Armed Forces, Navy, Air Force and para-military, intelligent services are also operating in an environment that is not the best. “If all of us should go on long strike because our environment is not at its optimum, then definitely we can never get the Nigeria of our dream."

True that...I concur with GEJ on this.

@ASUU, It is unjustifiable to cause affliction on innocent Nigerian students. Stop The Strike ASAP.

3 Likes

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by cardoso111(m): 6:35pm On Oct 19, 2013
The President is not moved by the 4months strike!
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by eightsin(m): 6:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
It is now a thing of pride!! Who gvs in 1st?
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Nani4all(m): 7:00pm On Oct 19, 2013
Gwekzy: Not a good speech 4rm a country's leader
wot u want him 2say....call ya pman name join?
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Kinghenreey: 7:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
I tink it's time ASUU called off this strike if at all they care for nigerian students. FG is on her kneel, they too should be a big brother nd return to the class

1 Like

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by henryugo(m): 7:47pm On Oct 19, 2013
emm abeg na wetin MANU. Play today i hear say chelsea nd arsenal won by 4:1 respectively..
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Lilaex: 7:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
Good one from our president ASUU please answer to our joint plea..
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Lilaex: 7:57pm On Oct 19, 2013
U must be a foooool to say wat u jus said

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Kunlexic(m): 8:18pm On Oct 19, 2013
ASUU,enough is enough since d Govt is nw appealing to u,don't play with the student's emotions.We knw d truth dat ASUU Is right for fighting for but i urge ASUU to resume to their work
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
Sincerely ASUU dunno wat u guyz wnt again o. after all Dis plea ,na curse remain be dat . Ah wee personally carry juju for una I swear.

1 Like

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by sapientia1(m): 8:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
henryugo: emm abeg na wetin MANU. Play today i hear say chelsea nd arsenal won by 4:1 respectively..
yea bro! Man utd drew 1-1 jare. In other news: 9ja thrashed mexico 6 goals to 1. Now bk to the topic...*clears throat* GEJ is working...

2 Likes

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Hadeyeancah(m): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2013
Am tired of this....

Very soon,MTN, GLO and other
networks will start making money
off ASUU Strike.
You'll see stuff
like:To get all news on ASUU
Strike, text ASUU to 38343.Costs
N100 per week.
Predict when
ASUU will call off strike and stand
a chance to be a winner in the
MTN PREDICT AND WIN PROMO. Text
ur predictions to 38323. N100 per
SMS.
Download the new ASUU
Callertune and get your callers
grooving.
Text ASUU to 4100. N50
monthly.

6 Likes

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by frankluvv: 9:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
Mr. President had spoken well. Virtually all sectors of the Nigerian economy needs Transformation buh it does not have to be immediate, it is a gradual process buh ASUU is asking for immediate implementation of all they want which is practically impossible. I put it to ASUU that they are being wicked and unreasonable. They have decided to be cruel to the nigerian student especially those that would have graduated now. They are going to put parents and guardians into hardship by making them to pay for another accomodation fee after the expiration of the earlier paid unused fees. Extension is already waiting for those that would have dropped their pen this year. ASUU is selfish and wicked. God will judge u all

3 Likes

Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Gwekzy: 12:02am On Oct 20, 2013
Lilaex: U must be a foooool to say wat u jus said

. N U must be a fool 2 tink its wise lambasting som1 else's opinion on a public forum...
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by jaryeh(m): 2:26am On Oct 20, 2013
Hadeyeancah:

Am tired of this....

Very soon,MTN, GLO and other
networks will start making money
off ASUU Strike.
You'll see stuff
like:To get all news on ASUU
Strike, text ASUU to 38343.Costs
N100 per week.
Predict when
ASUU will call off strike and stand
a chance to be a winner in the
MTN PREDICT AND WIN PROMO. Text
ur predictions to 38323. N100 per
SMS.
Download the new ASUU
Callertune and get your callers
grooving.
Text ASUU to 4100. N50
monthly.

LMAO.
Dz guy no 9ce o.

ASUU abeg,pity us and call off the strike o.

Guys don dey smell house sef
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Xoxyl(m): 3:47am On Oct 20, 2013
still game of time, let's wait nd see
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by otokx(m): 6:32am On Oct 20, 2013
He should have appealed to politicians to stop stealing our money via corrupt practices.
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by ennon92(m): 8:29am On Oct 20, 2013
mr man, what did u expect him to say again, after numerous pleading u still saying is not a good speech..Excess of everything is bad on ASUU part..The man even said he is not against ASUU showing their grievances by going on strike,but they need to consider the poor students affected.
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by striker9(m): 8:32am On Oct 20, 2013
Mascotizer: “Our security services, the Police, the Armed Forces, Navy, Air Force and para-military, intelligent services are also operating in an environment that is not the best. “If all of us should go on long strike because our environment is not at its optimum, then definitely we can never get the Nigeria of our dream."

True that...I concur with GEJ on this.

@ASUU, It is unjustifiable to cause affliction on innocent Nigerian students. Stop The Strike ASAP.
True talk,we can fund education but Nigerians are also lamenting over security,ASUU needs to understand that the fund can't be available in the shortest possible time.The funding can be done instalmentally as other areas of the economy needs attention and fund.But why did FG agreed to the terms of the contract when its obvious it won't be implemented.
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by ennon92(m): 8:40am On Oct 20, 2013
delkuf: To pause and ponder. Look at wht our president is saying, but he didn't pause and ponder, when he increase the allowances of big belle senators, now to increase to salaries of ASUU members, he want them to pause and ponder
u c, I dislike ppl comparing senator's earning to lecturer's. We all knows dat in a country like Nigeria, the law makers re 'entitled' to such, so if lecturers needs to collect big salaries like senators then I c no reason why they cant contest for senate seat or what aview and quit lecturing business...
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by tsleazy(m): 8:51am On Oct 20, 2013
20-sumthing to comment
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by tsleazy(m): 8:53am On Oct 20, 2013
ennon92: u c, I dislike ppl comparing senator's earning to lecturer's. We all knows dat in a country like Nigeria, the law makers re 'entitled' to such, so if lecturers needs to collect big salaries like senators then I c no reason why they cant contest for senate seat or what aview and quit lecturing business...
what are nigerian senators doing dat entitles them to earn more than western senators
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by ennon92(m): 10:19am On Oct 20, 2013
tsleazy: what are nigerian senators doing dat entitles them to earn more than western senators
we all know Nigerians as a whole re corrupt entities. if a mere lecturer can collect bribe, so tell me y won't d so called law makers entitled to such salaries...
NB: am not justifying their huge salaries though.
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by SlyIg(f): 1:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
ennon92: we all know Nigerians as a whole re corrupt entities. if a mere lecturer can collect bribe, so tell me y won't d so called law makers entitled to such salaries...
NB: am not justifying their huge salaries though.
In that case, the lecturers should kindly resign and go back to their village and contest for any political post of their choice if they're envious of the politicians and their earning.
What is it with ASUU!
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Appliedmaths(m): 1:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
SlyIg:
In that case, the lecturers should kindly resign and go back to their village and contest for any political post of their choice if they're envious of the politicians and their earning.
What is it with ASUU!

My dear, you've said it all. And also they should be prepared to carry out rituals and become cult members too before they can win elections in Nigeria. That's how Nigeria work!. Everyman chose his career so let him bear the consequences to the latter be it good or bad.
Re: "Return To Classrooms" Jonathan Appeals To ASUU by Tobbie9(m): 2:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
ennon92: u c, I dislike ppl comparing senator's earning to lecturer's. We all knows dat in a country like Nigeria, the law makers re 'entitled' to such, so if lecturers needs to collect big salaries like senators then I c no reason why they cant contest for senate seat or what aview and quit lecturing business...
The most disgusting comment I've ever read on nairaland, I wonder how naija will develop when few people(useless lawmakers) consume so much of d nation's resources

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

MOUAU Resumes 3rd December!! / Urgent Assistance: Is Tansian University Real? / Get Certified As Management Consultant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.