Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,261 members, 7,807,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! - Webmasters (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! (242405 Views)

Free Training On How To Create NGO Websites And Business Paypal Account / Opencart And Wordpress FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! - / Free Training On How To Create Mobile Application For Blackberry, Iphone, Ipad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by biggmusty(m): 7:19am On Sep 08, 2014
ZinoFego: That's not a problem. You can continue using it.

new problem at d database configuration its say " could not connect to the database. Connector returned number. Could not connect to MySQL" pls wats d way out
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:40am On Sep 08, 2014
If this error is happening during installation, please check the database name, username and password if they correspond with what you set up in phpmyadmin. You may also change your database type from MySQLi to MySQL.

If the issue is after installation is complete, please check the configuration.php file in the root folder of your Joomla installed files to be sure that the values for the database name, username and password correspond with what you set up in phpmyadmin.

You can also restart your MySQL in AMPPS or WAMP or any other stack that you are using.

biggmusty: new problem at d database configuration its say " could not connect to the database. Connector returned number. Could not connect to MySQL" pls wats d way out
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
I was able to develop http://Obielum4Governor.org to the stage it is in less than 48hrs. All the other links would've been active and the job handed over if the website owner had provided info for them.

All thanks to Joomla!

Pls Note: I used Fireworks to design the top banner.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Sibrah: 9:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
ZinoFego: I was able to develop http://Obielum4Governor.org to the stage it is in less than **5648hrs. All the other links would've been active ansd the job handed over if the website owner has provided info for them.

All thanks to Joomla!

Pls Note: I used Fireworks to design the top banner.

Good job it is you are doing. I am getting more interested in Joomla and CMSes generally of recent and would like to ask a lot of questions. some od them are :
How do i source for templates?
Is it advicable i(a newbie) attempt building them?
If yes what do you think i need? Flash? Dreamweaver/?
Where can i get good templates from either free or paid? for the paid templates, do they give a life time license? for the free what restrictions do they normally come with? Where can i buy them? Thanks.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
Just Google "Joomla Templates", several websites will come up. I mentioned some during the course of this class. You can get free templates from http://joomla24.com.

Not really because you need to understand the structure of templates before you can build real professional templates.

There are softwares developed already to build Joomla templates such as Artisteer from http://www.artisteer.com/

Where can i get good templates from either free or paid? for the paid templates, do they give a life time license? for the free what restrictions do they normally come with? Where can i buy them?
You can buy from http://joomshaper.com, http://shape5.com. Their Terms & Conditions will answer the rest of the question.

Sibrah:

Good job it is you are doing. I am getting more interested in Joomla and CMSes generally of recent and would like to ask a lot of questions. some od them are :
Where can i get good templates from either free or paid? for the paid templates, do they give a life time license? for the free what restrictions do they normally come with? Where can i buy them? Thanks.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ephraim87: 1:15pm On Sep 12, 2014
Pls how can I make search engines see my website?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by exellent91(m): 5:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
how to watch free dstv;go to:ralpheme..go to the forum and open technical thread
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 2:31am On Sep 13, 2014
I think you should search Google to have more specialized websites that handle Search Engine Optimization (SEO). You may check here also: http://seobook.com

ephraim87: Pls how can I make search engines see my website?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 13, 2014
What are the requirement a labtop needs to be able to create a website?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by omoadamo2010(m): 7:57am On Sep 14, 2014
Pls @ Zinofego and other gurus in the house! Pls I sincerely need your explanation as regards maintaining forum like nairaland.What are the requirement? Let me make the questions simple as follows :
1.Does it need server 24/7
2.Does it mean that the computer in which the database is installed on,must always be power on?
3. what else do I need to manage it well apart from domain and hosting?

PS: Am not webmaster let alone programmer.But I believe in u ppl wt ur power of knowledge in this aspects.Thanks
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 8:49am On Sep 14, 2014
If the programs that you will need to develop the website can run in the laptop, then you can develop your Joomla websites with that laptop. Basically, the major program needed is a stack of PHP, MySQL and Apache. Example of a stack are AMPPS and WAMP. Wherever those programs are running, Joomla will work.

leocolin: What are the requirement a labtop needs to be able to create a website?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:26am On Sep 14, 2014
A website like NairaLand runs in an online server which runs 24/7. We do not have servers here in Nigeria, that is why we host our websites with foreign companies. Anyone hosting websites in Nigeria is selling the services of a foreign firm(s). So if you want to create a website like Nairaland, you need to host your website in an online server and not in your computer.

On question 3: The management of a website depends on which platform the website was built. If it's a self coded website, then you must know the language that the programmer used in putting the website together. These four languages are paramount if you want to code your websites by yourself. They are: HTML, CSS, PHP and Javacript.

On the other hand, if you want to build a website with a Content Management System (CMS) eg a Joomla powered website, you do not require any programming skills to manage such website but if you have experience in programming, it is an added advantage.

Kunena from a http://kunena.org is a good forum extension for a Joomla website. You can see how it works here:

http://analysethis.co/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&Itemid=198&layout=list

omoadamo2010: Pls @ Zinofego and other gurus in the house! Pls I sincerely need your explanation as regards maintaining forum like nairaland.What are the requirement? Let me make the questions simple as follows :
1.Does it need server 24/7
2.Does it mean that the computer in which the database is installed on,must always be power on?
3. what else do I need to manage it well apart from domain and hosting?

PS: Am not webmaster let alone programmer.But I believe in u ppl wt ur power of knowledge in this aspects.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by omoadamo2010(m): 9:39am On Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for your response sir,may God bless n continue to increase your knowledge. What I get to understand from your reply is that,once am I registered the site with hosting company,I don't need to always power on my computer here in Nigeria.Hope am right with that sir?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 12:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
Absolutely Yes!

omoadamo2010: Thanks for your response sir,may God bless n continue to increase your knowledge. What I get to understand from your reply is that,once am I registered the site with hosting company,I don't need to always power on my computer here in Nigeria.Hope am right with that sir?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ephraim87: 1:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
Pls visit this website and tell me what I need to make the website more attractive and professional. www.elitemusichouse.com am still trying to develop it to look much better.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by omoadamo2010(m): 4:41pm On Sep 14, 2014
Thanks brother
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 5:44pm On Sep 14, 2014
Good start.

You need to fill up those white spaces or choose a more compact screen layout for a desktop/laptop view. With the content you have now, if you use 960px, 900px or 850px, your page will look more organized.

ephraim87: Pls visit this website and tell me what I need to make the website more attractive and professional. www.elitemusichouse.com am still trying to develop it to look much better.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
i think wampp gives less stress compared to xamp. i use wampp and i didnt find a hitch installing it

1 Like

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 14, 2014
@ ZinoFego. can you also help us with sites to get usefull free modules and plugins. or attach theme here where we can download. i am looking for a way to create multiple columns for article. and a so a module that would slide an article horizontally across a section of the side just as it is at the base of channels tv
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by etcme(m): 6:36am On Sep 15, 2014
ZinoFego: Good start.

You need to fill up those white spaces or choose a more compact screen layout for a desktop/laptop view. With the content you have now, if you use 960px, 900px or 850px, your page will look more organized.

Boss, is there not a way he can remove this statement at the bottomline of the site. "Template Design © Free Responsive Joomla! Template GavickPro
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 6:07pm On Sep 16, 2014
The Term of Service (TOS) of using a free template usually does not support remover of the template developer's trademark. Send me a personal message, let me forward a material to you.

etcme:
Boss, is there not a way he can remove this statement at the bottomline of the site. "Template Design © Free Responsive Joomla! Template GavickPro
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by etcme(m): 6:29pm On Sep 16, 2014
ZinoFego: The Term of Service (TOS) of using a free template usually does not support remover of the template developer's trademark. Send me a personal message, let me forward a material to you.

Ok Boss.......
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by nosky006: 9:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
I love it when nigerian gives knwledge fr free it means we got hope...my questn is this how can I create menu on my joomla. Am using offline server...
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
Menus

The Menu Manager manages all the navigation within your Joomla 3.0 website. The default home page, how to display your menus, what is displayed in them. You can have different types of Menu Items. Menu items are created from components installed.

To access the Menu.
Click Menu
In the drop-down, you have Menu Manager, Main Menu and Bottom Menu.

The Menu Manager is used to create New Menus. Main Menu and Bottom Menu were created using the Menu Manager.
Since we have two menu items created for us already, lets pick one of them to see how it works. Our pick is Main Menu.
Click Main Menu: You will notice that two Menu items are listed. They are About and Home.

Click About: This is where this menu item is configured. At the moment we will just be looking at the details configuration of the menu item. You can leave all other configurations just the way they are. Below are our configurable items under "details".
Menu Item Type *:
This tells us the type of item this menu should point to. In this case that we are editing, it points to "Single Article". Click Select close to "Single Article" to see other components that a menu can point to.
Select Article *:
Since our menu item type is Article, we need to select the Article we want to point our menu to. From what is shown, "About" was the Article that was selected. You may Click Select to see other Articles that you can point the menu to.
Status: This is where you can set the Menu item to be Published, Unpublished or Thrashed.
Menu Location: Menu items are attached to a Menu, so you can choose here which of the menus this menu item is attached to.
Parent Item: This is where to choose whether this menu item is a parent item(standalone) or it is a sub menu. By default Menu item Root is selected; that means this menu is a standalone menu. But if this menu is a sub menu or drop down, then select the menu item that this menu is its sub menu.

Click Save & Close.

Create A New Menu Item
Lets create a new menu item that points to an external link to your Facebook Account.
Click Menu...then Main Menu
Click New.
In the "New" opened window, click Select in front of Menu Item Type * to pick the type of component this menu item will point to. In the pop up window, Click System Links, then Choose External URL.
We can now configure our External URL. The configuration here is just like configuring the menu item "about" that we discussed a moment ago except we have to input a Link for this menu item. So lets say our Facebook page URL is http://Facebook.com/SpringWebHost; this URL is now what we will type as our link.
Configure every other item just as we did for "About" menu item.

Adding A New Menu.
Like I earlier said, a Menu houses menu items, so if you have the need to group some menu items under one menu, this is how you can do that. So lets create a Menu called Policies.
Click Menu....hover your mouse over Menu Manager and click Add New Menu. In the window that opened, enter the Menu Title(Policies), Menu Type (Policies), and then the description of the Menu. Click Save & Close.
So whenever you create a New Menu Item, you can select "Policies" if the menu item falls under Policies Menu. Refer: (Menu Location: Menu items are attached to a Menu, so you can choose here which of the menus this menu item is attached to.).

nosky006: I love it when nigerian gives knwledge fr free it means we got hope...my questn is this how can I create menu on my joomla. Am using offline server...
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by dayoungmoney1: 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2014
oga zino please help me with good video tutorials on joomla.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Jackieriel(m): 5:23pm On Sep 18, 2014
Pls how can I create a module that will display my blog categories?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ubiquitousade(m): 2:03am On Sep 20, 2014
ZinoFego: The AMPPS file is an executable file (.exe). So install it on your computer. After the installation, open its user interface and start Apache and MySQL. If all went well, the afore-mentioned services will start.

MySQL usually does start but you may have problem with the Apache and this usually an issue relating to another port using port:80. To fix this, on the AMPPS user interface, click Apache, then Configuration. The configuration file will open in a text editor like notepad. Go the line 49 of that file and change Listen 80 to Listen 8080, save the file. Restart the Apache.

Open your browser and type: localhost:8080 and press enter. Your system now has a local server that will enable us develop the Joomla site as though we were online.

If you have any issues with configuring your local server. Please you may ask before we proceed.
i have an issue with apache,
i have change "Listen to 8080" but still getting error that the port is being used by another program. pls help me out thanks
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by wisehouse(m): 6:59am On Sep 20, 2014
I can't login to my website both frontend and back end. Says 'incorrect password and username.help oo
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by nelowbiz(m): 4:54pm On Sep 20, 2014
I need advice on how to build a forum website!
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Donbiola(m): 10:05pm On Sep 20, 2014
@zino n other gurus kip up d Gud wrk. I just finished this site www.inform9ja.com kindly check and criticize faults or wat u think I shld add or remove. Thanks
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 1:00am On Sep 21, 2014
You can get some from here: http://www.buildajoomlawebsite.com/joomla-tutorials/the-basics

dayoungmoney1: oga zino please help me with good video tutorials on joomla.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (69) (Reply)

Learn Web Design LIVE On Nairaland!!! / Domain Name Business; The Easiest & The Most Profitable Online Venture / How To Download Youtube Videos Using The ‘ss’ Trick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.