Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Best Computer Antivirus Software? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Best Computer Antivirus Software? (12521 Views)

21 Best Computer Tricks That Will Wooo You / 14 Best Computer Tricks You Should Know / How Can I Use My Avast Antivirus Software For Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Computer Antivirus Software? by jek(m): 3:35pm On Jun 09, 2006
Which computer antivirus is the best?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Hotstepper(f): 3:56pm On Jun 09, 2006
i use Norton. It's really good.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2006
i use norton. i also heard mcaffe(dunno if i got the spelling right undecided ) and AVG is good. AVG has a free edition which works but getting the full package is the best cuzz it contains other utilities like adware and spyware remover.

overall i think NORTON is d best.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by zPixel(m): 5:52pm On Jun 09, 2006
Norton is a heavy antivirus, it's slows down the computer while booting and it is hard to update.

i just switched to avast recently and i think am liking it.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 5:56pm On Jun 09, 2006
norton is not hard to update and it doesnt slow down my pc. my pc is always on and even when i restart, norto doesnt take much time to boot, it might be cuzz of your RAM memory. mine is 1giga, so it is pretty fast. if yours is 128 or 256, it might be slow a lil bit.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Seun(m): 5:56pm On Jun 09, 2006
What about AVG Free Edition?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 6:02pm On Jun 09, 2006
seun, u can see from the link u posted above dat getting the free edition is only useful to those people that dont know much about the pc and virus software. i dont believe everyone has the time to scan the computer manually. i plus many things are not available in the free software.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Drusilla(f): 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2006
Norton is too top heavy, it is burning out your computer.

www.avast.com

It's free and unlike AVG, it actually works and is great in that if you have Xp it gives you the ability to scan the computer before it comes on and get rid of resident and memory virus.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by hotangel2(f): 7:58pm On Jun 09, 2006
I use Mcfee. It's the father of all. Seriously, it's awesome. Updates itself and protects the computer. I also use AOL spyware, and i use Windows defender. Yes oo. All of them.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 8:07pm On Jun 09, 2006
hot_angel

how is aol spyware, how does it work?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by hotangel2(f): 8:15pm On Jun 09, 2006
AOL spyware, works fine. It just sometimes turns itself off, so u have to turn it on again. Weird.

And i think it only works when you r on AOL browser. It's not protecting the whole computer. Just the AOL browser.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by LiquidMind(m): 8:22pm On Jun 09, 2006
I don't use any antivirus

I only disactivate java
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 8:25pm On Jun 09, 2006
if u deactivate java, u wont be able to run some programs and some websites wont work properly. dats kindda difficult for me to do.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by hotangel2(f): 8:25pm On Jun 09, 2006
diddy4dt:

if u deactivate java, u wont be able to run some programs and some websites wont work properly. that is kindda difficult for me to do.

Exactly wat i was gonna say!!!

U wont be able to play games on some sites like yahoo. And u know, java is life. lol
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 8:27pm On Jun 09, 2006
wonder how he deactivates java.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by retro(f): 8:42pm On Jun 09, 2006
Symantec anti virus. It's pretty good.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by aderaskeey(m): 8:55pm On Jun 09, 2006
Mcfee is what the Lagos State Government uses for her intra and internet facilities. the Lagos State Government won the global award for e-governance late last year for her huge Oracle infrastructure and e-service delivery. That speaks a volume for Mcfee- just as hot-angel called it: 'father of all'.

Someone just introduced me to Spybot "search and destroy .14" it is the most popular and and over 78 million downloads so far. I used it yesterday and my system is back on flight after 4 unpleasant and tortuous days of crawling and wallowing in viral infection.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by gidig(m): 8:59pm On Jun 09, 2006
I have used Norton since trhe first time I had access to  computers;then suggested Mcaffee but it was really slwoing down my system but like someonme mentioned earlier,I found out that it was a memory problem. With a IG RAm, it really did not matter much.

But I have only recently paid homage to Avast cos I had one of those virus that  work on your registry and replicate folders all over the place in your documsnts. It was Avast that dealt with it.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 9:07pm On Jun 09, 2006
so basically u have two antivirus software, i tot dat is dangerous to the system.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by goodguy(m): 11:07pm On Jun 09, 2006
Once used Norton. It's very okay.

Once used AVG. Shit software. It only detects virus, it never erases them.

Currently using Mcafee and it's serving me right.

I was told kaspersky is also good, even better than mcafee and norton. I don't know how true that is though.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by zPixel(m): 1:17am On Jun 10, 2006
diddy4dt, actually my ram is 1.5GB and i still feel the effect of norton
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 1:20am On Jun 10, 2006
1.5 gig

damn wonder y its still slow.

well u can try mcaffe den.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by zPixel(m): 1:22am On Jun 10, 2006
i minimize my ram alot
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by mrmayor(m): 1:49am On Jun 10, 2006
I've been using avast for 3yrs now,complain.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 1:50am On Jun 10, 2006
so its avast good?
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by mrmayor(m): 1:57am On Jun 10, 2006
Avast is quite good,easy to install does not slow your system down while starting up and does not interfer with your work like other software do

Cheers
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by diddy4(m): 2:15am On Jun 10, 2006
thanks
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by DaHitler(m): 4:41am On Jun 10, 2006
I don't use anti-virus software (I have my norton disabled). All you need is to you keep your firewall that comes standard with windows XP or from an nvidea mother board on at all times. Nothing would get into your computer that way.

Norton is nice but it is a pain if you do a lot of work online. Constantly having online access ports blocked for by some pathetic program that you can do with out is not worth it.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Bibi(m): 9:22am On Jun 10, 2006
I have used Norton/Symantec, Avast and now AVG Free.

I will say AVG free pretty much does the work, its free, its regularly updated, it doesnt take a loda on the machine and work pretty silent. The AVG free version does match all you need with even more features than Norton.

If you want pretty much protection, you need three things - Firewall, Antivirus and Antispyware. I recommend not to use the native XP firewall,

here is my recommendation:

Firewall - [/b]Sygate Personal Firewall (Free, discontinued after Symantec bought Sygate over. The last edition works pretty fine) - http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160
[b]Antivirus -
AVG Free (It has all the essentials, including a resident memory scanner, an e-mail scanner, and scheduled hard disc scans, regular virus definitions and application updates available from Grisoft) - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
[b]AntiSpyware - [/b]Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx)

By the way, all the above are free. Make sure that if you have to pay, you are doing so for what is absolutely missing. For someone that pretty much stays online all the time, I will say the above pretty much does it all. No need to pay extra buck for features you never use.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by shockreaction(m): 11:12am On Jun 10, 2006
I use Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.

The interface is pretty neat, and it's got a light memory footprint. Plus it's free.

http://www.free-av.com/

I generally avoid Norton and McAfee because they generally increase your system's startup time, which is a very bad thing, IMO.
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Chxta(m): 12:00pm On Jun 10, 2006
One more thing: Avira is extremely good if you have an older machine that may be a little slow. It is open source, has a version for Linux and Free BSD with prompt support. Was a time I had a nasty virus that Norton and McAfee failed to even detect. Avira not just detected it, it cleaned it up.

The best anti virus out there though is Zone Alarm. A bit heavy though, but that shit is the bomb!

Review
Re: Best Computer Antivirus Software? by Drusilla(f): 3:56am On Jun 11, 2006
The reason I do not consider AVG to work is because of the fact that it's own files are constantly infected with Virus's.

I remember once watching it install and it installed a file called DarkAngel.

I was like what? I called them, they told me that someone had infected their installation files and they would soon have a cure.

If you can not protect your own installation files, what da , ?

Also I notice that if you have AVG and then switch to AVAST, AVAST immeadiately finds virus's on your computer, even though AVG was supposed to have you protected.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Found Hp Service Centre / Surf The Net Without Using Mtn Data Card/evdo / Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.