Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Club-Lexus - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Club-Lexus (352996 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. / Guys, I Really Need Your Sincere Advice. Lexus RX300 Or Acura MDX ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
Emperoh:
What's the duration of change, the spark plugs?

These sparkplugs can do 100,000 as long as its not fouled. In lexusownersclub.com, most guys says even at 120,000 youre wasting money and time. Rather an average of 140,000mile then change. But lomomike says, 80,000-100,000 chikena! grin
Re: Club-Lexus by Chuksaluta(m): 8:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
Emperoh:
So, my ES330 acts up this morning.

When i took delivery of the car in Nigeria, i discovered that an after market remote and theft deterrent system was installed. Mine comes with the capacity to start the vehicle without using the key. Just at the press of a button, the car come to life. However you won't be able to drive the car. Once you step on the brake pedal to engage the auto drive, the engine dies.

So once i am ready for work, before stepping out, i would normally start the car from inside my apartment. This is to allow the car warm up before i come out and drive off.

So this morning, i did my usual routine. But lo, the car won't start. Actually i heard a click sound, meaning it apparently tried to start. Even though i heard the doors unlock (i usually unlock the doors before i start). Well, I eventually came out and did some check and discovered that the positive terminal on the battery head was loose. This is quite unusual. But i fitted it back firmly and the car came to life. Problem solved. and i got set to drive out.

But here's where another issue cropped up. Normally at first start in the morning, You will get an RPM of as high as 1500 before it starts dropping as the engine heats up. It then hovers around 800 RPM once the engine is heated. If you engage the gear and switch on the AC, it drops further to say 600 RPM (engine revs up a bit to sustain the load). This speed is able to move the car when in Drive or Reverse (without stepping on your accelerator).

I really didn't notice anything amiss until i engaged Reverse. No movement! It would normally surge forward or backwards once you leave the brake pedal. But the car stood still. If not that i felt the gear engage i would think my gear has kaput. But on powering the car it moved. My eyes went to my RPM monitor and i saw my needle hovering around 300 RPM (at idle without load). I disengaged the gear and it still didn't move beyond 350.

But the car will only move when 'powered'. Long and short, i just knew my car was underpowered and this is unusual. Because of the battery terminal loosening, my codes were cleared. I drove out of the compound and stopped. Went back into my apartment to get my scanner. On starting the car again, i realised the engine won't hold power. It comes on and goes off. On the 3rd start, i just revved it and sustained it for 10 seconds and then I drove off. Got to the office 45 minutes later and ran a scan; the old O2 sensor P2241 was showing. Nothing new. As a precaution, i didn't use the AC. I kept observing to see what it was about.By the time i got to the office, with the car properly heated, idle speed was back to normal and hovered around 700rpm. I loaded the engine (AC and gear engaged). It revved up and looked normal. Everything seemed ok again.

So i am just wondering, what is this all about? Anyone had any previous ideas and can help?

pls how do you use the remote feature? my car has started remotely for about 3 times by error. I just don't know the right buttons to press.
Re: Club-Lexus by bravolad(m): 5:45am On Feb 11, 2015
lomomike:

65 litres of fuel can't get you an average of 330miles of driving, rather it can get you 330kilometres (206miles) of driving.

For your 3MZ-FE 3.3L V6 which is used in ES330, 1S330, GS330, RX330, Highlander 3.3LV6 04-07, Camry 04-06. Toyota/Lexus recommends Multigrade SAE 5W30 oil.

Recommended sparkplugs are: DENSO SK20R11 or NGK IFR6A11

Spot on @Mike plus the 2004/2005 Toyota Sienna on 3MZ-FE 3.3L V6 engine. It would be amazing to get that mpg on 65 litres of fuel.
Re: Club-Lexus by Emperoh(m): 8:47am On Feb 11, 2015
lomomike:

These sparkplugs can do 100,000 as long as its not fouled. In lexusownersclub.com, most guys says even at 120,000 youre wasting money and time. Rather an average of 140,000mile then change. But lomomike says, 80,000-100,000 chikena! grin

I am already at 127k and i am not so sure it will not have been changed. The Owners Service Manual also says change at 120k miles.
I also saw that the transmission fluid should also be changed at 120k.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 11, 2015
bravolad:

Spot on @Mike plus the 2004/2005 Toyota Sienna on 3MZ-FE 3.3L V6 engine. It would be amazing to get that mpg on 65 litres of fuel.

I'd'give one of my molar tooth to get that mileage but, i love my multicoloured tooths (thats if i have any multicoloured tooth sef). grin
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 9:32am On Feb 11, 2015
Emperoh:

I am already at 127k and i am not so sure it will not have been changed. The Owners Service Manual also says change at 120k miles.
I also saw that the transmission fluid should also be changed at 120k.

What are you waiting for?

Inspect them, but i must confess, dont attempt that job, instead give it to that unfortunate mechanic who you've been beefing to suffer the brunt for 4-6hours to change the plugs. tongue

Its one of the hardest tedious jobs to do in that car.

You use type T-IV oil right? Usually its changed at 30,000 miles (toyota/lexus wont admit it)
Re: Club-Lexus by Emperoh(m): 10:48am On Feb 11, 2015
lomomike:

What are you waiting for?

Inspect them, but i must confess, dont attempt that job, instead give it to that unfortunate mechanic who you've been beefing to suffer the brunt for 4-6hours to change the plugs. tongue

Its one of the hardest tedious jobs to do in that car.

You use type T-IV oil right? Usually its changed at 30,000 miles (toyota/lexus wont admit it)

Ok, now i am worried. My mechanic will chop off my head!!! I guess i will buy and keep the plugs somewhere. 4 hours!!!
I use Toyota Type IV. . . . . haven't done a flush since i got the car. So maybe i start with that.
Re: Club-Lexus by Marpol: 11:01am On Feb 11, 2015
@lomomike,Fhemmmy Thanks for your opinion.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 11, 2015
Emperoh:

Ok, now i am worried. My mechanic will chop off my head!!! I guess i will buy and keep the plugs somewhere. 4 hours!!!
I use Toyota Type IV. . . . . haven't done a flush since i got the car. So maybe i start with that.

Purchase the plugs, call him and strike a bargain on labour before he begins. Highest you should bargain is 2,000. Tell him its ordinary sparkplug change na, no big deal, afterall its not a major work. Highest 20 minutes. If he doesnt know about 3MZ-FE engine sit in ES330, he'll be glad thinking him don job you. He wont know what hit him by the time it hits him hard below the belt.

Sit down with a chilled drink + chicken and watch how he climb your engine and sweat profusely just to replace ordinary sparkplugs. grin

Lemme post a link for your reading pleasure.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-and-es330/696222-diy-lexus-es330-v6-spark-plug-replacement.html
Re: Club-Lexus by charlesbid: 11:29am On Feb 11, 2015
I have an Rx 300, 2003 model. When I switch on my car, the Multi-Display screen comes on. I can see the temperature, time, radio station etc. But once I switch on my head lamps(lights) , the Multi-Display screen light goes off or black. Why is this so, that means at night while driving I can't see my Multi-Display. Help me out. Secondly, my multi CD loader was stolen at the tin can port, where do I get it and how much?
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 11, 2015
charlesbid:
I have an Rx 300, 2003 model. When I switch on my car, the Multi-Display screen comes on. I can see the temperature, time, radio station etc. But once I switch on my head lamps(lights) , the Multi-Display screen light goes off or black. Why is this so, that means at night while driving I can't see my Multi-Display. Help me out. Secondly, my multi CD loader was stolen at the tin can port, where do I get it and how much?

There is a knob which controls instrument cluster and screen brightness you have to rotate to the max, on the screen side of RX330, there is a control for adjusting the screen brightness. I Dont know if this applies to RX300.
Re: Club-Lexus by Emperoh(m): 1:37pm On Feb 11, 2015
lomomike:

Purchase the plugs, call him and strike a bargain on labour before he begins. Highest you should bargain is 2,000. Tell him its ordinary sparkplug change na, no big deal, afterall its not a major work. Highest 20 minutes. If he doesnt know about 3MZ-FE engine sit in ES330, he'll be glad thinking him don job you. He wont know what hit him by the time it hits him hard below the belt.

Sit down with a chilled drink + chicken and watch how he climb your engine and sweat profusely just to replace ordinary sparkplugs. grin

Lemme post a link for your reading pleasure.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-and-es330/696222-diy-lexus-es330-v6-spark-plug-replacement.html

*Faints* So this is how you have been scamming road side!!
I no get mind do roadside biko. . . . . before some knobs go begin miss!
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 11, 2015
Emperoh:

*Faints* So this is how you have been scamming road side!!
I no get mind do roadside biko. . . . . before some knobs go begin miss!
Oya carry the motor go elizade make knobs and nutS no miss na
Re: Club-Lexus by ikuoma4rea: 9:01pm On Feb 11, 2015
Just got an RX 350 2009 but I need to know if the navigation system actually works im nigeria.anyone wi5h an experience expecially with d factory fitted not other type.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 11, 2015
ikuoma4rea:
Just got an RX 350 2009 but I need to know if the navigation system actually works im nigeria.anyone wi5h an experience expecially with d factory fitted not other type.

It won't work. DON'T remove it and install an aftermarket unit because that factory installed Nav screen serve as your HVAC controller too and a host of other functions too.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 17, 2015
Does anyone know a good electrician in Lagos? My Lexus 2012 ES 350 does not recognize the push button electronic key. Any ideas and solutions would be appreciated.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 17, 2015
omonuan:
Does anyone know a good electrician in Lagos? My Lexus 2012 ES 350 does not recognize the push button electronic key. Any ideas and solutions would be appreciated.

dont go around altering parts in your car. First get the proximity sensor key battery replaced. Replace with genuine working battery of same spec as factory installed type.
Re: Club-Lexus by mdenigma(m): 12:25pm On Feb 17, 2015
Good day my people. Hope our 'Lexuses' have been performing.
I 'm of the opinion that our forum can be more robust. I've been on the Benz forum for some time and their team spirit is inspiring. They make you want to get a benz. Guys, let's make ours more involving and helpful.
Lastly, what low priced but efficient obdii scanner can I get for my 08es 350. I found some on konga ranging from 4k to 60k.
God help us all

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
mdenigma:
Good day my people. Hope our 'Lexuses' have been performing.
I 'm of the opinion that our forum can be more robust. I've been on the Benz forum for some time and their team spirit is inspiring. They make you want to get a benz. Guys, let's make ours more involving and helpful.
Lastly, what low priced but efficient obdii scanner can I get for my 08es 350. I found some on konga ranging from 4k to 60k.
God help us all

Hello bro, you have a strong point there. so what do you suggest we do about our club?
Re: Club-Lexus by thonerow(m): 1:24pm On Feb 17, 2015
Good day guys, I welcome "me" to the group. wink seriously though I just noticed my gear does not shift into 4th gear. It just keeps on dragging on gear 3. Any advice please and how much would a toks tranny cost please? Lexus rx300 99
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
thonerow:
Good day guys, I welcome "me" to the group. wink seriously though I just noticed my gear does not shift into 4th gear. It just keeps on dragging on gear 3. Any advice please and how much would a toks tranny cost please? Lexus rx300 99

What did you do to your car, did you recently service it or carry out any repair to it?
Check if your O/D. Button is ON, turn it off. If its off, scan it.
Re: Club-Lexus by thonerow(m): 1:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
lomomike:

What did you do to your car, did you recently service it or carry out any repair to it?
Check if your O/D. Button is ON, turn it off. If its off, scan it.
I have not done anything on the car in form of repairs of late except top the axle oil. I suspect the issue has been there since I bought the car last year 2014 I probably didn't notice, because the fuel consumption is hell and no d O/D is off. Tanx fr d quick response
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
thonerow:

I have not done anything on the car in form of repairs of late except top the axle oil. I suspect the issue has been there since I bought the car last year 2014 I probably didn't notice, because the fuel consumption is hell and no d O/D is off. Tanx fr d quick response

Is it it the gearbox or differential you topped oil, which oil did you use?
Re: Club-Lexus by thonerow(m): 5:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
lomomike:

Is it it the gearbox or differential you topped oil, which oil did you use?
I honestly don't know which from which but the mechanic claims it is the gearbox axle under the car and that he only topped because if it had dried up it would have affected the gear, i failed to get the oil he used too (real stupid of me).
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2015
thonerow:

I honestly don't know which from which but the mechanic claims it is the gearbox axle under the car and that he only topped because if it had dried up it would have affected the gear, i failed to get the oil he used too (real stupid of me).

Go ask him. I feel its either your shift solenoid is bad or gear is slippin due to oil contamination. If the former is your case, get a replacement shift solenoid, if the later is the case buy Toyota Genuine ATF Type T-IV to do a flush. (You'll need to drain and flush about 3 times to properly taclke the contaminant. However, if it doesn't work, get prepared to buy another gearbox.
Re: Club-Lexus by thonerow(m): 6:30pm On Feb 17, 2015
lomomike:

Go ask him. I feel its either your shift solenoid is bad or gear is slippin due to oil contamination. If the former is your case, get a replacement shift solenoid, if the later is the case buy Toyota Genuine ATF Type T-IV to do a flush. (You'll need to drain and flush about 3 times to properly taclke the contaminant. However, if it doesn't work, get prepared to buy another gearbox.

TANX MAN. I would explore these 2 options, i fear the mechanics in Benue here may be clueless as to all of these but i'd try. A new tranny would do me in by how much please?

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 17, 2015
lomomike:

dont go around altering parts in your car. First get the proximity sensor key battery replaced. Replace with genuine working battery of same spec as factory installed type.

ok thank you. I already tried that!
Re: Club-Lexus by mdenigma(m): 10:24am On Feb 18, 2015
I wish I was auto savvy like you (mike), siena and ikenna but I think our forum can lean heavily on the few of you guys who have the know-how. As the rest of us get to know more, we should be willing and ready to share. I want to see a day when our forum will be 200 pages long and rich with information. When folks won't be scared of touching the Lexus. The benz myth has been busted. We can do same. Sorry for the late response
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 10:49am On Feb 18, 2015
mdenigma:
I wish I was auto savvy like you (mike), siena and ikenna but I think our forum can lean heavily on the few of you guys who have the know-how. As the rest of us get to know more, we should be willing and ready to share. I want to see a day when our forum will be 200 pages long and rich with information. When folks won't be scared of touching the Lexus. The benz myth has been busted. We can do same. Sorry for the late response

Thanks a lot. I was a novice but I learnt the hard way sha cry however I still dey learn o grin however, you don't need to reinvent the wheel. You can feel free to tap from our wealth of knowledge. I believe there is more than enough room in the sky to fly without hitting our wings. Let's get knowledge sir smiley
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 18, 2015
omonuan:

ok thank you. I already tried that!

Does it still allow for keyless entry?
Re: Club-Lexus by mdenigma(m): 12:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
lomomike:

Thanks a lot. I was a novice but I learnt the hard way sha cry however I still dey learn o grin however, you don't need to reinvent the wheel. You can feel free to tap from our wealth of knowledge. I believe there is more than enough room in the sky to fly without hitting our wings. Let's get knowledge sir smiley

I appreciate your modesty.
I asked about getting a low priced obdII scanner. Can you point me in the right direction.
The guys here(kd) charge 5k per scan and many of them don't even understand the codes. Thanks
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 18, 2015
mdenigma:

I appreciate your modesty.
I asked about getting a low priced obdII scanner. Can you point me in the right direction.
The guys here(kd) charge 5k per scan and many of them don't even understand the codes. Thanks

Where's your location? You can order from konga, jumia, amazon, ebay or aliexpress. You can get units from cityNG or nissparts.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (140) (Reply)

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.