Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,079 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture (31983 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / What Does This Symbol Mean: What Is Its History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:10am On Oct 22, 2013
The Traditional Political Structure of Modern Awka:
The Current monarch of the town, Obi Gibson Nwosu, the Eze Ụzụ II of Awka is only the third monarch in the town’s history – after Ichie Obuora Nnebe, the Ichie of Awka (he rejected the title of ‘Eze’ and chose ‘Ichie’ instead), and Obi Alfred Chikwukadibie Ndigwe, the Eze Ụzụ I. Before the adoption of the monarchy in the twentieth Century, Awka was governed by elders and ọzọ titled men.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:21am On Oct 22, 2013
The titled men (some of whom are shown below with their Ngwu Ọzọ Staffs) still play an important part in the town’s politics today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:25am On Oct 22, 2013
SOME NOTABLE PEOPLE OF AWKA DESCENT

PROFESSOR KENNETH ONWUKA DIKE (1917 – 1983): The First Nigerian vice-chancellor of the nation’s premier college, the University of Ibadan. His book Trade and Politics in the Niger Delta is a pioneer work of African historiography, noted for its rejection of the Eurocentric approach to African history and for the promotion of the use of oral evidence by historians. A founder of the Ibadan School of History that dominated the writing of African history till the 1970s. As director of the scheme for the study of Benin History and Culture, he brought a team of scholars together to look into Benin’s cultural and historical development. Best known members of the team were R.E Bradbury and A.F.E. Ryder, whose works are now staples for Benin Studies students.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:28am On Oct 22, 2013
ALEXANDER MADIEBO: Major-General and Commander of Biafra’s Forces during the Civil War. His book The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War remains a classic of Nigerian Civil War literature, arguably the most authoritative and objective account of the conflict (from a Biafran’s viewpoint) ever written. Chimamanda Adichie has stated that the book and its author inspired a character in her novel Half of a Yellow Sun, Colonel Madu Madu.
In the picture below, Major-General Madiebo addresses troops in Enugu as the Federal troops close in.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:30am On Oct 22, 2013
CHINWE CHUKWUOGO-ROY (1952 -2012): Renowned artist. Chinwe won international acclaim and attention in 2002 when she painted the official Golden Jubilee portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. Only one other Nigerian artist had painted an official portrait of the Queen – Ben Enwonwu. She also did other portraitures of high-profile people, including the former Commonwealth Secretary-General, Emeka Anyaoku.

A biography titled Chinwe Roy – Artist, published by Tamarind Books, is studied by children in the U.K. as part of the National Curriculum.

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:34am On Oct 22, 2013
LIEUTENANT-GENERAL CHIKADIBIA OBIAKOR (Born, 1951): Army officer and diplomat. He is the United Nations Military Adviser for Peace-keeping Forces.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 22, 2013
CHINYELU SUSAN “CHI” ONWURAH (Born, 1965): British Labour Party politician, elected at the 2010 general elections as the Member of Parliament for Newcastle-upon-Tyne Central. She is the granddaughter of Onwurah Ukozu, the personage who received European missionaries in his home in 1899. Her mother is English, and her father had come to England in the 1950s to study at Newcastle Medical School. She is Newcastle’s first Black MP.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:37am On Oct 22, 2013
PATRICK “PAT” UCHENNA ATTAH: Veteran Nollywood actor.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:43am On Oct 22, 2013
CHIBUZO NELSON AZUBUIKE (Born, 1986): Artiste noted for his trademark mohawk. Better known by his stage name, Phyno. Phyno has carved a niche for himself with his vernacular-speckled rap style, a genre pioneered by the likes of Nigga Raw. He ranks among the most gifted Nigerian rappers in show business today.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:50am On Oct 22, 2013
UCHE INNOCENT NWOFOR (Born, 1989): Nigerian rising football star. Highest goal scorer at the 2011 African Youth Championship. More recently, his name has been around after he netted two goals in Durban against the Bafana Bafana during an international friendly on August the Fourteenth.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:20am On Oct 22, 2013
Look,it is ok for you to write your history but do not attempt to put down the superiority of Ifikuanim and his descendants. You think Abagworo likes you ? What's does "Nri revisionists" mean ? This is a very informative and educative thread but you seem to be in desperation to deny Nri influence,civilization and colonization of the Awka man. Don't piss me off. Write your history and keep Nri out of your mouth,if you could just like Onitsha people has done.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Abagworo(m): 11:32am On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Look,it is ok for you to write your history but do not attempt to put down the superiority of Ifikuanim and his descendants. You think Abagworo likes you ? What's does "Nri revisionists" mean ? This is a very informative and educative thread but you seem to be in desperation to deny Nri influence,civilization and colonization of the Awka man. Don't piss me off. Write your history and keep Nri out of your mouth,if you could just like Onitsha people has done.

How can you make this type of arrogant remark and unsubstantiated claims? If you used influence, then it would be understandable but not colonization my dear. These lies are part of the reason Igbos may not attain ethnic stability in reality. Nri in itself is a title born like Eze by the ancient Nri kings and not a people or area. We need to tell the things the way they are and not cover up in order to claim we all originated from one source when we did not.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:37am On Oct 22, 2013
Awka is not the only metal working community in the area of Nri influence. The metal work discovered by the anthropologists in Igbo-nkwo(Igboukwu) were produced by the Ora-ERI who were driven away from the location after the war with Igbonkwo. So,am sorry to bust your bubble, those metal works were produced by Nri people. While you are very busy trying to uplift your town by attempting to put down the people that gave Igbo her pride,you have ended up denying yourself the greatness and pride that comes with aligning and associating oneself with Nri. By the way,what's up with the name of the town URU-ERI in Awka ? I guess you have more research to do on that.

And let me spell it out to you,NO BODY FROM IGBOLAND BREAKS A KOLA BEFORE THE EZE-NRI!
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:50am On Oct 22, 2013
In Umuoji we also have a village known for their metal work,so don't make it seem like only Awka made metals. Yes,they are the most famous but they aren't the only one.
Write your history and don't try to dent the image of Nri. That's an abomination punishable by hanging,in my opinion. Because Nri is the beacon of Igbo identity.

We brought the prestigious Nze n' Ozo.
Igu-Aro
Ofala/Ovala
Eke,oye,afor na Nkwo.
Ichi scarification.
13 months of the year.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Abagworo(m): 11:54am On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Awka is not the only metal working community in the area of Nri influence. The metal work discovered by the anthropologists in Igbo-nkwo(Igboukwu) were produced by the Ora-ERI who were driven away from the location after the war with Igbonkwo. So,am sorry to bust your bubble, those metal works were produced by Nri people. While you are very busy trying to uplift your town by attempting to put down the people that gave Igbo her pride,you have ended up denying yourself the greatness and pride that comes with aligning and associating oneself with Nri. By the way,what's up with the name of the town URU-ERI in Awka ? I guess you have more research to do on that.

And let me spell it out to you,NO BODY FROM IGBOLAND BREAKS A KOLA BEFORE THE EZE-NRI!

There are other Igbo tribes that were metal workers like the Abiriba people but Awka are the most reknowned. Have you ever heard Ora-eri or Abiriba made gun? Nobody has denied Nri influence but origin. The lies told about Igbos is that they originated from Nri while the original land owners know "Nri" as people that came from Igala.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2013
I don't see the Edo tribes deriding the Benin nor the yorubas deriding the Ife kingdom.

Stay away from Abagworo because he hates Nri and his descendants. Make him your friend and that spells your downfall. Respect Nri and honor will come your way. Unless if you want us to invade Awka and strip you of all Nri culture you Adamas borrowed from our forefathers!

Nobody said Nri were the first to live in the Anambra area; It was even written that when Eri arrives at the Omanbala river he me some people,which were described as INFERIOR people but they were known as the "ADAMA" and they are everywhere in Anambra of today. Eri introduced his much superior culture and civilization and colonized them to a better humans. If Awka were not of Eri then they are definitely the ADAMAs.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Abagworo(m): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Awka is not the only metal working community in the area of Nri influence. The metal work discovered by the anthropologists in Igbo-nkwo(Igboukwu) were produced by the Ora-ERI who were driven away from the location after the war with Igbonkwo. So,am sorry to bust your bubble, those metal works were produced by Nri people. While you are very busy trying to uplift your town by attempting to put down the people that gave Igbo her pride,you have ended up denying yourself the greatness and pride that comes with aligning and associating oneself with Nri. By the way,what's up with the name of the town URU-ERI in Awka ? I guess you have more research to do on that.

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Abagworo(m): 12:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: In Umuoji we also have a village known for their metal work,so don't make it seem like only Awka made metals. Yes,they are the most famous but they aren't the only one.
Write your history and don't try to dent the image of Nri. That's an abomination punishable by hanging,in my opinion. Because is is the beacon of Igbo identity.

We brought the prestigious Nze n' Ozo.
Igu-Aro
Ofala/Ovala
Eke,oye,afor na Nkwo.
Ichi scarification.
13 months of the year.

Everything you listed up there does not exist in majority of todays Igboland. It is only the 4 market days which exists everywhere else including Igala and Bini that you can find in most Igboland. Nze n'ozo is confided to a small area unless in cases they were recently borrowed.

What you are trying to do is like Fulanis arrogantly claiming Hausas originated from them because they brought Islam and influenced Hausa culture.

Read this link http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/11/essay-the-politics-of-igbo-origin-and-culture/

In order not to derail this thread, I'll open another.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
Abagworo,I don't answer to you cultureless troll! Op is an Awka man and Awka has Nri settlers just like the rest of Anambra towns,Anioma and parts of Enugu and Northern Imo and we know ourselves. You are an outsider interfering in what is non of your business. Why don't you go write about some Ikwerre,Imo or Abia culture ? You are obsessed with Omanbala !
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Abagworo(m): 1:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Abagworo,I don't answer to you cultureless troll! Op is an Awka man and Awka has Nri settlers just like the rest of Anambra towns,Anioma and parts of Enugu and Northern Imo and we know ourselves. You are an outsider interfering in what is non of your business. Why don't you go write about some Ikwerre,Imo or Abia culture ? You are obsessed with Omanbala !

@bolded. Since you've accepted the truth then the thread should move on.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by oboy3(m): 4:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
so 'nne' is truth in awka dialect?wow,i used to hear my mum say 'dika o bu nne o?',whenever she is reminded of something she forget,but she is not awka but from idemili

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
Abagworo:

@bolded. Since you've accepted the truth then the thread should move on.

Yes,there are Nri people in Awka as much as there is in most town of Anambra. But the Op never said the URU-ERI people were settlers because he probably has no fact to back it up. The postulation about Awka not migrating from anywhere is still a myth. Because the Op hasn't wrote anything about Awka that paints them satisfactorily as a distinct group. Awka dialect is not in any way distinct from the dialect of AWGBU town of Orumba south and most of those words the Op listed as distinct are equally shared by their immediate neigbhours and even people further away.

In my town we say "onye ulu" just like Awka say, for "onye ori/oshi" in Igbo Izugbe. There is nothing unique about Awka.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Look,it is ok for you to write your history but do not attempt to put down the superiority of Ifikuanim and his descendants. You think Abagworo likes you ? What's does "Nri revisionists" mean ? This is a very informative and educative thread but you seem to be in desperation to deny Nri influence,civilization and colonization of the Awka man. Don't piss me off. Write your history and keep Nri out of your mouth,if you could just like Onitsha people has done.

If I have said something false about Nri, perhaps u should state it. I have acknowledged the importance of Nri. My problem is with people saying Nri was what it never was.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

If I have said something false about Nri, perhaps u should state it. I have acknowledged the importance of Nri. My problem is with people saying Nri was what it never was.

So,Eze Uzu Awka will break the kola before the EZE NRI in a gathering that has both of them in attendance ?
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
I am not trying to claim anything. Everything i've stated is based on what scholars from Elizabeth Isichei to Adiele Afigbo (all renowned researchers have written) I knew people might have issues with some of the assertions here. That's why I stated my sources in the beginning.

And how could Oraeri have made the bronzes if they had no traditions of metak working?

There were smiths all over Igboland; but it was with Awka that the Nri had an alliance. You should know this as an Nri man.

And "Nri anara awakpo Awka oji" is an old Awka saying. Don't try to insinuate I cooked that up.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
And Rodoillo,what was said about Nri that it wasn't. ?
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Abagworo,I don't answer to you cultureless troll! Op is an Awka man and Awka has Nri settlers just like the rest of Anambra towns,Anioma and parts of Enugu and Northern Imo and we know ourselves. You are an outsider interfering in what is non of your business. Why don't you go write about some Ikwerre,Imo or Abia culture ? You are obsessed with Omanbala !

There is not a single family in Awka that came from Nri. We had people who came from Agbaja to join the original Awka people. We had Umudioka from Dunukofia. BUT AN NRI MAN NEVER SETTLED IN AWKA.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo: I am not trying to claim anything. Everything i've stated is based on what scholars from Elizabeth Isichei to Adiele Afigbo (all renowned researchers have written) I knew people might have issues with some of the assertions here. That's why I stated my sources in the beginning.

And how could Oraeri have made the bronzes if they had no traditions of metak working?

There were smiths all over Igboland; but it was with Awka that the Nri had an alliance. You should know this as an Nri man.

And "Nri anara awakpo Awka oji" is an old Awka saying. Don't try to insinuate I cooked that up.

Nwanne,I have to be frank with you,here. What if the the metal making community in Oraeri has moved and resetlled in Awka ? Because Igboukwu doesn't have any history nor culture of metal making,either. What if Awka is actually the original Oraeri people ? Can you explain the origin of a town called URU-ERI in Awka. ? You see,our forefathers didn't write things down and without written history a lot of question will remain un-answered.
You can't just up and claim the metal works found in Igboukwu were made by Awka blacksmiths without concrete proof.
During the hey days of Nri kingdom high priests and priests made pilgrimage to Agukwu,paid homage to EzeNri and the town and his priests were revered all over southern Nigeria. Nri had powerful "mburuchis" and "Ndichie" who went around to innitiate and institutionalize the Nri religion and culture. Dude,read between the line.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo: [b][/b]

There is not a single family in Awka that came from Nri. We had people who came from Agbaja to join the original Awka people. We had Umudioka from Dunukofia. BUT AN NRI MAN NEVER SETTLED IN AWKA.

Hahaha...Dunukofia are actually Nri descendants. I bet you don't know that.
Dude,I will advice you to give up now !
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:22pm On Oct 22, 2013
What about uru-ERI,Awka ?
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
You wrote and I rephrase,"some of the earliest settlers were uru......ERI "
So,you actually have Eri descendants ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni: "Adam And Eve Were Created In Ile-Ife, They Were Blacks" / An Igbo Woman Farting In The Presence Of Her Husband Is A Taboo - Young Lady / El-Rufai Appoints Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli As Emir Of Zazzau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.