Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,492 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

Somali Proverbs - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somali Proverbs (11889 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / The Somali/ethiopian People / Igbos come show your proverbs skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somali Proverbs by gallivant: 11:45pm On Sep 29, 2014
axum:

I know Bantus are the best farmers in Somalia, because they were forced to do it for hundreds of years grin

When they left the UN food agency moved in. grin
Re: Somali Proverbs by gallivant: 11:51pm On Sep 29, 2014
axum:

Lmao, Somalis do control Moqdisho. I think you mean Alshabab doesnt control mogadishu, the Government and Alshabab are both Somali.

Somalis are not Negroid/Black, and just cause we do not look like Negroids doesnt mean we are mixed.

There are 100 million people including Ethiopians,Eritreans, Somalis, North Sudanese, Nubians who look like us.

Ethiopian ethnic groups like Amahara and Tigrey have been Christians for 2,000 years.

It is Cushitic people who controlled Arab, they look like us not the other way around.

This map proves DNA and its distribution which can be collaborated by Linguistics.

Right, both are incompetent idiots.Somalis are refugees and servants/welfare collectors all over the Africa and the globe.Does your unique dna play any part in this? Please enlighten us..
Re: Somali Proverbs by gallivant: 2:02am On Sep 30, 2014
axum:

Amahara and Tigrey are my people (Cushitic), we may have our differences but I rather marry a Amahar or Tigrey than a Bantu, because Cushitic people at least look like humans from the 21st century not cavemen like Bantus

Amharas and Ethiopians despise Somalis.They have enslaved Ogaden Somalis and colonized your country for some time now. Foreign armies roam ur lands and the Chinese and Europeans ur waters with impunity. If I was Somali I would hang myself!
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 30, 2014
@Fulaman198,Thats news to me. Is it culture acquired from inter marriage or association? Are they also nomadic? Of course many communities have over time taken to farming, but as an acquired culture.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 9:04am On Sep 30, 2014
muafrika: @Fulaman198,Thats news to me. Is it culture acquired from inter marriage or association? Are they also nomadic? Of course many communities have over time taken to farming, but as an acquired culture.

The Songhai/Zarma and Hausa people are sedentary and not nomads. The culture has always been there, those two groups have always been farmers.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 30, 2014
Fulaman98, I see the Zarma are from the same area from which the Bantu dispersed. It must have been a cosmopolitan civilization. I guess only the east African cushites and nilotes prefer a nomadic life. Its also interesting that all the major African tribe groups exist in West Africa.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 10:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
muafrika: Fulaman198, I see the Zarma are from the same area from which the Bantu dispersed. It must have been a cosmopolitan civilization. I guess only the east African cushites and nilotes prefer a nomadic life. Its also interesting that all the major African tribe groups exist in West Africa.

You forget that we Fulani are the most nomadic people in the world ROFL and we are neither Cushites or Nilotes cheesy
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 1:36am On Oct 01, 2014
gallivant:

Amharas and Ethiopians despise Somalis.They have enslaved Ogaden Somalis and colonized your country for some time now. Foreign armies roam ur lands and the Chinese and Europeans ur waters with impunity. If I was Somali I would hang myself!

Fool Somalis married many Amahara and Tigrey women when the men were killed in war, they became Somali once they were married. Unlike the Bantus who are untouchable and slaves in Somalia and Ethiopia.

Somalis, Tigrey, Amahara are the same people if you go back 1,500 years, Islam essentially came to Somalis first and spread to some parts of Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Amahras killing and enslaving few dozen people 100 years ago, in rural areas of Ethiopia where there were not many Somalis is pathetic excuse to say that They always dominated us.

One only needs to look at the fact that Muslims are half of the population of Ethiopia, and the largest state in Ethiopia is Ogaden (somali inhabited).

The one thing all Cushitic people have in common is they would rather marry each other than a Bantu, infact all of them enslaved Bantus for hundreds of years until Europeans outlawed it or pressured us to free you monkeys only 70 years ago.
Re: Somali Proverbs by axum: 1:38am On Oct 01, 2014
gallivant:

Right, both are incompetent idiots.Somalis are refugees and servants/welfare collectors all over the Africa and the globe.Does your unique dna play any part in this? Please enlighten us..

ur kind have been enslaved by every race and ur kind is the ugliest smiley
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 01, 2014
Fulaman198: What are you? According to your oral tradition, where did you come from? That matters more than what outsiders think you are. Ave been reading about the hausa and now I see how difficult it is to classify West Africans. The speakers range wide, even across race. Its also spoken across most of the Sahara. Chances are that most of the speakers are are a mixed people, which is why they are farmers, nomads and a mixed culture.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 5:08am On Oct 01, 2014
muafrika: Fulaman198: What are you? According to your oral tradition, where did you come from? That matters more than what outsiders think you are. Ave been reading about the hausa and now I see how difficult it is to classify West Africans. The speakers range wide, even across race. Its also spoken across most of the Sahara. Chances are that most of the speakers are are a mixed people, which is why they are farmers, nomads and a mixed culture.

According to oral Fulani tradition, it goes so many ways. However, based on recent scientific research, there is proof that we originated in the Western Sahara thousands of years ago before moving southward into what is today the Sahel. The Fulbe (Fulani) once were in the Sahara desert when it was a lush savannah. There was never any mixing involved. You can watch this video for more information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpsJxkUAVo
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 01, 2014
Fulaman198: This all makes sense now. It was the Arab fulani who conqured most parts of West Africa, imposed a caste system and slavery. Interesting that their expansion eastward from Morocco and conquest of West African states coinsides with the era of the transatlantic slave trade. They also acquired guns from Europeans. I had always wondered how West Africans turned on each other with such inhumanity. They did not see their humanity.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 8:45am On Oct 01, 2014
muafrika: Fulaman198: This all makes sense now. It was the Arab fulani who conqured most parts of West Africa, imposed a caste system and slavery. Interesting that their expansion eastward from Morocco and conquest of West African states coinsides with the era of the transatlantic slave trade. They also acquired guns from Europeans. I had always wondered how West Africans turned on each other with such inhumanity. They did not see their humanity.

Arab? We are not Arabs we are west Africans
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 01, 2014
Fulaman198: Of course like other cushites, you intermarried with nilotes, plus, west African is not an identity. Tutsies of Rwanda are related to you, and I suspect the Somali and few other East African tribes masquerading as bantu. This seems to be the history of subsaharan Africa. The Bantu subded the pygmy and hottentots, and were in turn overun by Arabic/Cushitic nomadic invaders who usurped their estabished systems and language, after which European colonialists subdued them all, and on our fake indepence, they instituted puppet governments of the previously subdued. Only Ethiopia escaped colonialism.

The reason I refer to Fulani as Arabs is that they treated their subdued people as their Arabic fathers before them, in culture and slave trade. Your origin is among African Arabs. You Fulani are also related to the more Arabic Tuareg. Its your blood more than it is about your skin colour. Somalis have embraced their half Arab side, though similarly, some may be in doubt of their nilotic half.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 3:26pm On Oct 01, 2014
muafrika: Fulaman198: Of course like other cushites, you intermarried with nilotes, plus, west African is not an identity. Tutsies of Rwanda are related to you, and I suspect the Somali and few other East African tribes masquerading as bantu. This seems to be the history of subsaharan Africa. The Bantu subded the pygmy and hottentots, and were in turn overun by Arabic/Cushitic nomadic invaders who usurped their estabished systems and language, after which European colonialists subdued them all, and on our fake indepence, they instituted puppet governments of the previously subdued. Only Ethiopia escaped colonialism.

The reason I refer to Fulani as Arabs is that they treated their subdued people as their Arabic fathers before them, in culture and slave trade. Your origin is among African Arabs. You Fulani are also related to the more Arabic Tuareg. Its your blood more than it is about your skin colour. Somalis have embraced their half Arab side, though similarly, some may be in doubt of their nilotic half.

Muafrica, i don't want to sound insulting but you need to conduct some research. First of all the Tuareg are not Arabs, they are a Berber subgroup. Secondly, if you watched that video it clearly said that Fulani people don't mix, we don't. Because typically speaking, the child would become a part of the haabe class.

Third of all, the closest relatives to the Fulani are our Senegambian brothers the Wolof and the Serer.

A lot of what you said is wrong on numerous accounts as we Fulani are far older than Arabs (the video did say we are one of the oldest people in the world).
Re: Somali Proverbs by ArtanK(m): 4:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
Laya:

Their genetics put them right in east Africa, going by their genetics unless they migrated to Madagascar
and back to east Africa. The Somalis genetics also put them in east Africa for thousands of years.
The Oromo and Somalis are predominantly E1B1B with a lot of other similarities, such as language, preIslamic
name for "God", looks and so on.

I'm not disputing that, just stating their version of their history.
It is no secret that they are a confederacy though, there are many Somali & Afar clans who are classed as Oromo in Ethiopia.
Re: Somali Proverbs by ArtanK(m): 4:58pm On Oct 01, 2014
muafrika: Fulaman198: Of course like other cushites, you intermarried with nilotes, plus, west African is not an identity. Tutsies of Rwanda are related to you, and I suspect the Somali and few other East African tribes masquerading as bantu. This seems to be the history of subsaharan Africa. The Bantu subded the pygmy and hottentots, and were in turn overun by Arabic/Cushitic nomadic invaders who usurped their estabished systems and language, after which European colonialists subdued them all, and on our fake indepence, they instituted puppet governments of the previously subdued. Only Ethiopia escaped colonialism.

What kind of tomfoolery is this? Somalis are not half Arab and half Nilotic.

4 Likes

Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
@Fulaman, I know but the narrator makes many assumptions. Those guys are similar even in song and dance to the maasai and neibouring tribes. People come from communities, and many oral traditions place other people in the sahara as their place of origin. This includes bantus. West Africa was just another point of dispersal, which some groups avoided. I am talking prehistoric time, when most of the continents population lived above the Northern tropics.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
@ArtanK, its history and your genetics puts you with the sudanese.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 02, 2014
@Fulaman, wikipedia article titled the fula people, topic on genetics backs up most of my claims.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Fulaman198(m): 5:44pm On Oct 02, 2014
muafrika: @Fulaman, wikipedia article titled the fula people, topic on genetics backs up most of my claims.

The Wikipedia page on 'Fula' has been changed in access of 20 times no joke. It can not be taken seriously. That's why I lost my respect for Wikipedia.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 02, 2014
@Fulaman, Oh well, I guess I really wanted to connect you to as many groups as the rest of us. But your similarities with cushites and nilotes living on their fringes is astounding. Not just physically but also culturally.
Re: Somali Proverbs by ArtanK(m): 4:12am On Oct 03, 2014
muafrika: @ArtanK, its history and your genetics puts you with the sudanese.

If you're talking about the Cushtic Beja in Sudan, you're correct but if you're insinuating that many Somalis are mixed thus makes them similar to the mixed Sudanese Arabs then you are incorrect mate. The only thing we have in common is Islam.

1 Like

Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 6:15am On Oct 03, 2014
@ArtanK, And long limbs, slender bone structure, and for some of you, an exeptionally dark chocolate colour, like the Orma who keep fighting with the Pokomo Bantu farmers.
Re: Somali Proverbs by ArtanK(m): 9:36am On Oct 03, 2014
muafrika: @ArtanK, And long limbs, slender bone structure, and for some of you, an exeptionally dark chocolate colour, like the Orma who keep fighting with the Pokomo Bantu farmers.

Our elongated body shapes doesn't prove that we are half Nilotic and half Arab though

2 Likes

Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 03, 2014
@ArtanK, I once came across one politically incorrect blog trying to prove the book of Genesis with anthropology. Any who, she writes about a prehistoric kingdom of Kush, split in two, one in northern Africa and the other in the middle East. They were founded by two brothers. The Dinka/Nuer ascertain themselves as descendants of the kingdom of Kush, which leaves you, Somalis-and I suspect, other cushitic people as you share the same spirit(the charcteristic cross eye of most cushites that would allude to an East Asian mix, in addition to neighbouring peoples) having back migrated into Africa in recent history as the most likely other half of the Kingdom.
Re: Somali Proverbs by ArtanK(m): 6:39pm On Oct 03, 2014
muafrika: @ArtanK, I once came across one politically incorrect blog trying to prove the book of Genesis with anthropology. Any who, she writes about a prehistoric kingdom of Kush, split in two, one in northern Africa and the other in the middle East. They were founded by two brothers. The Dinka/Nuer ascertain themselves as descendants of the kingdom of Kush, which leaves you, Somalis-and I suspect, other cushitic people as you share the same spirit(the charcteristic cross eye of most cushites that would allude to an East Asian mix, in addition to neighbouring peoples) having back migrated into Africa in recent history as the most likely other half of the Kingdom.

That's absurd man come on.
Keywords: incorrect and blog.
Anyone can jot something down on a blog and claim that it's scientific research.

Genetics prove that Somalis and other Cushtic groups in the Horn are closer to the Berbers of North Africa despite living just next door to Nilotic people.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 04, 2014
@ArtanK, Back to similarities(Nuer, Dinka versus Cushites): Prominent forehead, prominent cheek bones which when well fed, become rounded, sunken tiny eyes(the sphinx is either Dinka or Nuer). You both circumcise your females in what is classified as type 3 kind of female circumcision. Your mixture has given you smaller lips and head, and robustly curly hair but the other features integrity remains.I think other mixed sudanese (except the beja) share less with you. Their faces are more elongated and they have a robust facial bone structure with strong edges.
Re: Somali Proverbs by ArtanK(m): 3:01am On Oct 05, 2014
muafrika:
@ArtanK, Back to similarities(Nuer, Dinka versus Cushites): Prominent forehead, prominent cheek bones which when well fed, become rounded, sunken tiny eyes(the sphinx is either Dinka or Nuer). You both circumcise your females in what is classified as type 3 kind of female circumcision. Your mixture has given you smaller lips and head, and robustly curly hair but the other features integrity remains.I think other mixed sudanese (except the beja) share less with you. Their faces are more elongated and they have a robust facial bone structure with strong edges.

Smh you are saying the same thing again. Lets talk facts here. The common Somali person's DNA is around 80%-85% E1b1b and less than 8% Eurasian. Where is the mixture?

2 Likes

Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 05, 2014
@Artank, You are right, its not half. E1b1 proves your African heritage, which I assert. The 8% Eurasian descent refers to a period of a foreign intrusion that waned with time to a low level. With that, consider that E1B1(you) spent alot of time in the fertile crescent(http://www.stclairresearch.com/content/path/-E1b1.html)

Then add the maternal factor. 13% M1, whose ancient progenitor, M is widepread in Asia.
Re: Somali Proverbs by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 05, 2014
@Artank, You are right, its not half. E1b1 proves your African heritage, which I assert. The 8% Eurasian descent refers to a period of a foreign intrusion that waned with time to a low level. With that, consider that E1B1(you) spent alot of time in the fertile crescent(http://www.stclairresearch.com/content/pathE1b1.html)

Then add the maternal factor. 13% M1, whose ancient progenitor, M is widepread in Asia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Population Of Males Exceeds Females / Nigerians And Their Yellow Eyes. / Is Abuja a northern state?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.