Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

"Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions (6192 Views)

The Glamour Of Atheism / The Cowardice Of Atheism / Deleted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:22am On Oct 22, 2013
So I finally bit the bullet and bought what seems to be the "Holy Book" of nairaland atheists: Richard Dawkins' "The God delusion".
I have only read up to the 4th chapter so far, but I must say reading it is a pleasant surprise. Judging by the obnoxious and gratuitous insults spewed on this board by his more prominent disciples- I was expecting to be assaulted on each page with insults to God and of course me for being so unintelligent as to have faith.

On the contrary, what I find is that the eminent scientist is wise enough to know that he doesn't know everything. Logicboy and Ooman please take note: the default atheist position is not "There is no God". But "God, though not technically disprovable, is very very improbable indeed. "

I am also highly impressed with his willingness to concede when he has made a mistake. For instance, I had earlier watched a debate he had with John Lennox in which he was taken to tax for stating in an earlier edition that there is controversy amongst historians about whether or not Jesus really lived. He was quick to acknowledge that he was wrong, and I noticed that in this edition he makes the statement "although Jesus probably existed....."

So, my question to nairaland atheists is: Why do you think it is a necessary part of being atheist to insult every one who is not and to be gratuitously crude, vulgar and obnoxious?

5 Likes

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 11:56am On Oct 22, 2013
honeychild: So I finally bit the bullet and bought what seems to be the "Holy Book" of nairaland atheists: Richard Dawkins' "The God delusion".
I have only read up to the 4th chapter so far, but I must say reading it is a pleasant surprise. Judging by the obnoxious and gratuitous insults spewed on this board by his more prominent disciples- I was expecting to be assaulted on each page with insults to God and of course me for being so unintelligent as to have faith.

On the contrary, what I find is that the eminent scientist is wise enough to know that he doesn't know everything. Logicboy and Ooman please take note: the default atheist position is not "There is no God". But "God, though not technically disprovable, is very very improbable indeed. "

I am also highly impressed with his willingness to concede when he has made a mistake. For instance, I had earlier watched a debate he had with John Lennox in which he was taken to tax for stating in an earlier edition that there is controversy amongst historians about whether or not Jesus really lived. He was quick to acknowledge that he was wrong, and I noticed that in this edition he makes the statement "although Jesus probably existed....."

So, my question to nairaland atheists is: Why do you think it is a necessary part of being atheist to insult every one who is not and to be gratuitously crude, vulgar and obnoxious?

Dont mind them.
Their High Priest (Charles Darwin) and thr present major Prophet/Apostle (Richard Dawkins) know better. They ar still taking foundation classes, clarity will dawn on them later.

2 Likes

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by EvilBrain1(m): 1:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
What you people refuse to understand is that there is no official atheist position on anything. We have no dogma or creed. The only thin we have in common is that we reject the unfounded claims of religion. Many of us admire Dawkins for his brilliant scientific work and his efforts to combat the silliness and harm religious superstition causes. But that doesn't mean we agree with him on every point. There is no GO of atheism, and even if there was, it certainly wouldn't be Dawkins.

And you religious folks keep accusing us of being rude. You conveniently ignore the fact that your coreligionists are not only just as rude, but also add death threats, violence and disincrimination into the mix. It's very hard not to be rude to people who threaten to kill you.

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ooman(m): 1:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
Yo are probably right by your analysis, Dawkins, and indeed all atheists aren't as aggressive as we seem to give the impression, but you have to understand that most xtians and other god worshipers are indeed dumb in their analysis too.

Outside nairaland, I am a gentleman, but in here, I have to treat people with ironhand to force logic into your head.

Atheism is a peaceful, in fact, the most peaceful way of life.

Understanding there is no god changes everything for you, you become newly born into a perfect and complete life.

peace out.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 2:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
ooman: Yo are probably right by your analysis, Dawkins, and indeed all atheists aren't as aggressive as we seem to give the impression, but you have to understand that most xtians and other god worshipers are indeed dumb in their analysis too.

Outside nairaland, I am a gentleman, but in here, I have to treat people with ironhand to force logic into your head.

Atheism is a peaceful, in fact, the most peaceful way of life.

Understanding there is no god changes everything for you, you become newly born into a perfect and complete life.

peace out.

Atheist Evangelist ooman,
I m surprise u agreed wit d Op in ur 1st statement and then made a blunder again in ur last statement. i tot d Op made it clear that in ur holybook ur Prophet said God is "not technically disprovable but is very improbable". (inherent confusion in statement sha). Hmmm, truly logical.

2 Likes

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by plaetton: 3:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
@op
Religion doesn't do as much damage, destruction, violence and fraud in the UK as it does in Nigeria.
That explains why Nigerian atheists are much more Angry than would be a European atheist.
We see daily the horrors of religious irrationaliy as it plays out.
We simply can't afford to look away any longer.
Religious irrationality must always be vigorously challenged, mocked and embarrassed.

2 Likes

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 3:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
plaetton: @op
Religion doesn't do as much damage, destruction, violence and fraud in the UK as it does in Nigeria.
That explains why Nigerian atheists are much more Angry than would be a European atheist.
Religious irrationality must always be vigorously challenged, mocked and embarrassed.

And wat about ur own believe and religion?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 22, 2013
when you are responsible for the dumbing-down of billions on the planet, an obnoxious insult is hardly enough
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by plaetton: 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
ajayikayod:

And wat about ur own believe and religion?

With all due respect, only a very very silly slowpoke( and there many many) thinks that atheism is a religion.
Infact, that notion, it itself, is clear enough evidence that blind faith, schizophrenia , and low IQ have a common denominator.

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2013
what kind of unguided and uninformed assertion is this?

when did Dawkins's God Delusion became the guide to atheism ?

Who made Dawkin the representative of atheist the world over?

And Lastly why do you think atheists on this board have to come here and explain whatever you claim to be logical inconsistent in dawkins work? can't you google his website or otherwise write to him, And i hope the book help slap you back to REALITY.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by plaetton: 5:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nolongthing1: what can of unguided and uninformed assertion is this?

Who made Dawkin the representative of atheist the world over?

And Lastly why do you think atheists on this board have to come here and explain whatever you claim to be logical inconsistent in dawkins work? can't you google his website or otherwise write to him, And i hope the book help slap you back to REALITY.

Dont mind them. I have never read Dawkins book. lnfact, it is probably only in the last year or so that I started hearing of Dawkins.
I particulalyr pay no attention to Dawkins because Dawkins simply reiterate what every atheist already knows or thought about.

It is the blind faith goddists that rely on Daddy GO-ism for hand-holding and herding. And the reason they need to be herded like cattle and hand-held is because blind faith religion is about fears and doubts.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by UyiIredia(m): 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
Not all atheists are rude, some simply don't bother as much over religion.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:18am On Oct 23, 2013
Nolongthing1: what kind of unguided and uninformed assertion is this?

All I see here on nairaland are people who repeat what they have heard him say on you tube and pat themselves on the back for being 'intellgent'

Nolongthing1: what kind of unguided and uninformed assertion is this?

This is exactly what I am talking about. Did you even read my post before you jumped into it with both feet?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:23am On Oct 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Not all atheists are rude, some simply don't bother as much over religion.

I am talking about Nairaland atheists. Listening to them, you would think there's an atheist creed that says the words 'ignorant' 'misguided' and 'deluded' or even worse must be used in every conversation you have with everyone who believes in God.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild:

All I see here on nairaland are people who repeat what they have heard him say on you tube and pat themselves on the back for being 'intellgent'

This is exactly what I am talking about. Did you even read my post before you jumped into it with both feet?

That is a lie......

You people dont realise that the more lies and fabrications you tell against atheists just make atheists look like martyrs.

Actually, if even atheists were sheep as you falsely claim, I have seen more Robert Ingersoll quotes here on NL than Dawkins.

Furthermore, it has been shown beyond doubt that atheists here can handle their own arguments without appealing authority. Who do you want to call a parrot for Dawkins? Plaetton? Me? Ooman? Alfa? Evil Brain? Cyrexx? etc....

Stop lying
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 7:26am On Oct 23, 2013
plaetton:

With all due respect, only a very very silly slowpoke( and there many many) thinks that atheism is a religion.
Infact, that notion, it itself, is clear enough evidence that blind faith, schizophrenia , and low IQ have a common denominator.

Can i ask u wat atheism is, Mr High IQ and wat religion is?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild:

I am talking about Nairaland atheists. Listening to them, you would think there's an atheist creed that says the words 'ignorant' 'misguided' and 'deluded' or even worse must be used in every conversation you have with everyone who believes in God.

Wrong.

While it is common to see those words at times. Why not bother to find out if the recipients of those words are truly ignorant.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild:

Wow.....is this a question?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:29am On Oct 23, 2013
plaetton: @op

Makes sense. ....a lot (more than you may think) of people who believe in God are just as angry at the damage done in His name.

But what if most of the evils done in God's name by so called 'men of God' can actually be shown to be contrary to what He actually requires of His worshippers?

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 7:30am On Oct 23, 2013
plaetton:

Dont mind them. I have never read Dawkins book. lnfact, it is probably only in the last year or so that I started hearing of Dawkins.
I particulalyr pay no attention to Dawkins because Dawkins simply reiterate what every atheist already knows or thought about.

It is the blind faith goddists that rely on Daddy GO-ism for hand-holding and herding. And the reason they need to be herded like cattle and hand-held is because blind faith religion is about fears and doubts.

I hav never read Pastor so soo so book but his belief as described in his books aligned wit wat i believe (common denominator), infact he is well known for along time and highly spoken of in ds belief of mine (leadership).

Evangelist plaetton, stop denying ur brother, leader and prophet at least u shared most belief system.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:33am On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

Actually, if even atheists were sheep as you falsely claim, I have seen more Robert Ingersoll quotes here on NL than Dawkins.

Who do you want to call a parrot for Dawkins? Plaetton? Me? Ooman? Alfa? Evil Brain? Cyrexx? etc....

You grin grin

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:37am On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wrong.

While it is common to see those words at times. Why not bother to find out if the recipients of those words are truly ignorant.

You....more than most have been especially guilty of calling greater minds than yours wink 'ignorant'. In fact that is your favourite epithet.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 7:37am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild: So, my question to nairaland atheists is: Why do you
think it is a necessary part of being atheist to insult every one who is not and to be gratuitously crude, vulgar and obnoxious?

Simply a defensive trick common among them. they ar extensively taught on two tricks in their foundation classes. Cunning Abuse is one of it, especially whn they felt oppressed before.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Enigma(m): 7:38am On Oct 23, 2013
ajayikayod:

Can i ask u wat atheism is, Mr High IQ and wat religion is?

You may find this post and others following interesting --- especially what the American Supreme Court and Court of Appeal think on whether atheism is a religion or not. https://www.nairaland.com/765094/heard-there-different-kinds-atheism/2#9227593

I can yet point you to other posts and threads if necessary. wink
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild:

Makes sense. ....a lot (more than you may think) of people who believe in God are just as angry at the damage done in His name.

But what if most of the evils done in God's name by so called 'men of God' can actually be shown to be contrary to what He actually requires of His worshippers?

Points to consider

1) If christians and religious peeps were truly challenging their religious leaders, many of these evils would have been stopped or severely redced. Take for instance; Oyedepo's slap. Would Oyedepo get away with this if he didnt have numerous supporters?

2) As a practicing christian, you will support one of the evil's done in Yaweh's name or christianity- one way or the other. "A fish in water can not explain the realities of living on land".

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild:

You....more than most have been especially guilty of calling greater minds than yours wink 'ignorant'. In fact that is your favourite epithet.

Greater minds like who?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 23, 2013
honeychild:
You grin grin

My profile page is there...247 threads.....how many even contain the mention of Dawkins?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 7:41am On Oct 23, 2013
Enigma:

You may find this post and others following interesting --- especially what the American Supreme Court and Court of Appeal think on whether atheism is a religion or not.

I can yet point you to other posts and threads if necessary. wink

Well, they mit be thinking it, i m not thinking it, i know it is. So if anyone think otherwise d person can give me a simple definition/meaning of ATHEISM.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 7:44am On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

Points to consider

1) If christians and religious peeps were truly challenging their religious leaders, many of these evils would have been stopped or severely redced. Take for instance; Oyedepo's slap. Would Oyedepo get away with this if he didnt have numerous supporters?

2) As a practicing christian, you will support one of the evil's done in Yaweh's name or christianity- one way or the other. "A fish in water can not explain the realities of living on land".

Well at least d fish understands d reality of living in waters than d dog.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 23, 2013
ajayikayod:

Well at least d fish understands d reality of living in waters than d dog.

Way to miss the point......
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 7:57am On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

Way to miss the point......

U dont miss wat wasnt a target.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 7:59am On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

My profile page is there...247 threads.....how many even contain the mention of Dawkins?

May not contain his name. ....but I am finding that a great number of views I have heard you express are his.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Test: Do You Have The True Jesus? / Mary Mother Of Jesus Mosque Spotted In Abu Dhabi. / Suggest A Gospel Song For Wedding Reception

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.