Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:55 PM

"Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions (6160 Views)

The Glamour Of Atheism / The Cowardice Of Atheism / Deleted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ajayikayod: 8:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
wirinet: I am surprised that theist do not have the ability to learn anything outside their religious biases and dogmas. Other atheist have explained these issues a gazillion times and the same questions come up again with alarming regularity. Even if they decide not to read Nairaland's atheists response to these questions, Google is there to out.

These are the facts of atheism once again ; for the last time.
1. Atheism is a disbelief of all gods out of all the thousands of gods that had existed throughout human history. Monotheism is a belief in 1 god out of the thousands of other gods, while polytheism is a belief in multiple gods. The only common denominator of atheist is a lack of belief in all gods. Atheists holds wide and varied beliefs, someone like Tai Solarin does not accept or care about science - big bang or darwin evolutionary theories while carl sagan and dawkins believes in science.

2. Darwin was not an atheist, in fact he obtained a degree in Divination(theology) along with his degree in biology.

Most atheists have never heard of Richard Dawkins and have never read any of his books. in fact atheism preceed Dawkins by thousands of years. So how can Richard Dawkins be the GO of atheism.
I hope the question of what atheism is , about Darwinism or Dawkins being the creator of atheism does not come up again.

What about ur new church in Uk? Wr read dt too. Dont worry, gradually ur eyes will shine.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 25, 2014
Honeychild didn't even reply again after realizing her folly. Well she is humble to accept defeat grin
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 8:39am On Nov 25, 2014
Dapo777:
Honeychild didn't even reply again after realizing her folly. Well she is humble to accept defeat grin

Reply what? I am reading a book. I talked about my first impressions. So what am I supposed to be replying to or conceding to? The only thing worse than a religious bigot is a dumb atheist!
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 25, 2014
honeychild:

Reply what? I am reading a book. I talked about my first impressions. So what am I supposed to be replying to or conceding to? The only thing worse than a religious bigot is a dumb atheist!

Oh really? Tell me more about that.

No be u start thread say the book Na atheist holy book. U should be able to defend every claim you make Na.

This is the first time I am hearing about this book And someone is calling it my holy book.

Now tell me who is dumb here.

U trying to console urself? That Maybe It's not only Christians Dat are religious But atheists too are religious.

What more do I expect from a child who has failed her exams,to console herself that others failed too,even when they haven't. cheesy
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 25, 2014
Honeychild I just downloaded the book now to read. So I can learn more from this Dawkins, I don't even know What he looks like or What other books he has written.

Thanks anyway. More books to read,more knowledge for me. wink
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 10:33am On Nov 25, 2014
honeychild:

And later you would accuse atheists of being rude And insulting christians. What did you just did now? Aren't you such an hypocrite?

Hahaha y am I even surprised. Hypocrisy the Hallmark of Christians.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 10:47am On Nov 25, 2014
EvilBrain1:
What you people refuse to understand is that there is no official atheist position on anything. We have no dogma or creed. The only thin we have in common is that we reject the unfounded claims of religion. Many of us admire Dawkins for his brilliant scientific work and his efforts to combat the silliness and harm religious superstition causes. But that doesn't mean we agree with him on every point. There is no GO of atheism, and even if there was, it certainly wouldn't be Dawkins.

And you religious folks keep accusing us of being rude. You conveniently ignore the fact that your coreligionists are not only just as rude, but also add death threats, violence and disincrimination into the mix. It's very hard not to be rude to people who threaten to kill you.
Am I the only one who sees a contradiction?
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 10:48am On Nov 25, 2014
ooman:
Yo are probably right by your analysis, Dawkins, and indeed all atheists aren't as aggressive as we seem to give the impression, but you have to understand that most xtians and other god worshipers are indeed dumb in their analysis too.

Outside nairaland, I am a gentleman, but in here, I have to treat people with ironhand to force logic into your head.

Atheism is a peaceful, in fact, the most peaceful way of life.

Understanding there is no god changes everything for you, you become newly born into a perfect and complete life.

peace out.

This one assumes he speaks for all Atheists.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 10:51am On Nov 25, 2014
plaetton:
@op
Religion doesn't do as much damage, destruction, violence and fraud in the UK as it does in Nigeria.
That explains why Nigerian atheists are much more Angry than would be a European atheist.
We see daily the horrors of religious irrationaliy as it plays out.
We simply can't afford to look away any longer.
Religious irrationality must always be vigorously challenged, mocked and embarrassed.
This one is the GO of his own denomination.

Different from that of Dawkins.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 10:54am On Nov 25, 2014
plaetton:

With all due respect, only a very very silly slowpoke( and there many many) thinks that atheism is a religion.
Infact, that notion, it itself, is clear enough evidence that blind faith, schizophrenia , and low IQ have a common denominator.
If it has, holy book, denominations, prophets, GOs, followers, worshippers of wealth, self, prophets etc...

How is it different or better than religion? undecided
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 11:04am On Nov 25, 2014
honeychild:

I am talking about Nairaland atheists. Listening to them, you would think there's an atheist creed that says the words 'ignorant' 'misguided' and 'deluded' or even worse must be used in every conversation you have with everyone who believes in God.

It's one of the ways they mask their own ignorance and delusion.

When you they find that they are clearly less intelligent than you, they call you "troll."

When you continue to show how their reasoning is poor, thereby embarassing them in public, they start to insult God...and anything/anyone connected to him...as if that would make him cease to exist.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 25, 2014
Atheists especially in Nigeria are preoccupied with God instead of Life. They are reduced to the grass-gnawing behavior of religious folks who concentrate on little differences instead of looking at the big picture. Love one another
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ooman(m): 11:50am On Nov 25, 2014
italo:

This one assumes he speaks for all Atheists.
Dont be dumb. Atheism has a different meaning than atheist - atheism is what all atheists share. Atheism is what is peaceful.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ooman(m): 11:50am On Nov 25, 2014
voltron:
Atheists especially in Nigeria are preoccupied with God instead of Life. They are reduced to the grass-gnawing behavior of religious folks who concentrate on little differences instead of looking at the big picture. Love one another

you have taken an unfounded position...
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2014
ooman:

you have taken an unfounded position...

going by the seeming urge to insult, demean and discount everything religious (even with reason to)rather than ignore, leave-n-let live, tolerate and still deliver enlightenment without losing your fellow man.

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ooman(m): 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2014
voltron:

going by the seeming urge to insult, demean and discount everything religious (even with reason to)rather than ignore, leave-n-let live, tolerate and still deliver enlightenment without losing your fellow man.

I don't understand your unstructured sentence.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 25, 2014
ooman:

I don't understand your unstructured sentence.
my bad.. trying to squeeze too much into a small space.. a good lot of NL Atheist (indeed a global lot) offend rather than enlighten. yes the religious lot are irrational, unintelligent, simple and too dangerous to allow to continue in their ways without caution. you can do that without sounding off verbal abuse every time. what is the purpose of atheism if not for good
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by ooman(m): 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2014
voltron:

my bad.. trying to squeeze too much into a small space.. a good lot of NL Atheist (indeed a global lot) offend rather than enlighten. yes the religious lot are irrational, unintelligent, simple and too dangerous to allow to continue in their ways without caution. you can do that without sounding off verbal abuse every time. what is the purpose of atheism if not for good

I formally apologize for all of my wrong then... cool
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 5:23pm On Nov 25, 2014
Dapo777:

Oh really? Tell me more about that.

This is the first time I am hearing about this book And someone is calling it my holy book.
D

You have never heard of Dawkins. That's my problem with these new generation of atheists on naira land. You are unenlightened. You don't read. You don't even know the basics of anything. But you think it's cool and sophisticated to bash God and so you jump on the bandwagon of atheism. Nigerians, mindlessly following fads since 1914.

(And in case you didn't know, 1914 because that was the year of amalgamation.) Let me contribute a little to your education.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by honeychild(f): 5:24pm On Nov 25, 2014
Dapo777:

And later you would accuse atheists of being rude And insulting christians. What did you just did now? Aren't you such an hypocrite?

Hahaha y am I even surprised. Hypocrisy the Hallmark of Christians.

if the cap fits wink grin
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2014
honeychild:

You have never heard of Dawkins. That's my problem with these new generation of atheists on naira land. You are unenlightened. You don't read. You don't even know the basics of anything. But you think it's cool and sophisticated to bash God and so you jump on the bandwagon of atheism. Nigerians, mindlessly following fads since 1914.

(And in case you didn't know, 1914 because that was the year of amalgamation.) Let me contribute a little to your education.

Okay Okay.

Honeychild I love you too. Am I free now? undecided
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Infomizer(m): 8:17am On Nov 26, 2014
honeychild:

So, my question to nairaland atheists is: Why do you think it is a necessary part of being atheist to insult every one who is not and to be gratuitously crude, vulgar and obnoxious?

I think theists drew the first blood, especially Christians. "Only a fool says there's no god".
A lot of atheists here can be vituperative as you said, but it is easy to have a vitriol-free debate if the theist is willing to avoid the use of insults. It is really tempting to not be vulgar when someone calls you a fool. It is, really.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by EvilBrain1(m): 2:43pm On Nov 26, 2014
italo:
Am I the only one who sees a contradiction?

People who don't play golf have nothing in common except that they don't play golf. People who don't believe the unsupported claims of religion have nothing in common except that they don't believe the unsupported claims of religion. Atheists are not a natural group. You don't describe a group using properties its members don't share, you use what they have in common.

Thanks to the bigotry and intolerance of religious people many of us never got to interact with other atheists during our deconversion process. Most of us became fully formed skeptics and atheists by our own reasoning with little or no external guidance. Dapo777 above is an athiest and he's never read Dawkins. (Note to honeychild: Not having read one particular author does not make a person unenlightened you simpleton!) If atheism is just another religion, why don't we see people deducing Christianity and Islam from first principles without having been brainwashed by others or reading religious books. You people are just parroting what you've been told, there is no rational chain of logic that leads to Christianity or Islam or any other religion.

If you kill all Christians destroy all their writings, Christianity will be wiped out forever never to return. If you did the same with atheism, it'll be back the moment the next generation turn 10 or 12 and start noticing that the religion they were taught doesn't agree with reality.

Also even if we were to form an Atheism Legion of Doom and select a prophet, it wouldn't be Dawkins. All respect to the great scientist, but with the quality of candidates we have to pick from he wouldn't make the top 200. Who is Dawkins when we have great writers and thinkers like Bertrand Russell and Robert G.Ingersoll, people like Thomas Paine, Baruch Spinoza, Arthur Schopenhauer; men like Jean Meslier, people like Pythagoras and Diogenes and Epicurus who had destroyed your best arguments arguments before 300B.C.E. Even if we had to pick a scientist, what happened to Hawkins and Einstein and Darwin and Rosalind Franklin and the dozens of others who have contributed as much or more than Dawkins?

3 Likes

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 3:07pm On Nov 26, 2014
EvilBrain1:

People who don't play golf have nothing in common except that they don't play golf. People who don't believe the unsupported claims of religion have nothing in common except that they don't believe the unsupported claims of religion. Atheists are not a natural group. You don't describe a group using properties its members don't share, you use what they have in common.

Thanks to the bigotry and intolerance of religious people many of us never got to interact with other atheists during our deconversion process. Most of us became fully formed skeptics and atheists by our own reasoning with little or no external guidance. Dapo777 above is an athiest and he's never read Dawkins. (Note to honeychild: Not having read one particular author does not make a person unenlightened you simpleton!) If atheism is just another religion, why don't we see people deducing Christianity and Islam from first principles without having been brainwashed by others or reading religious books. You people are just parroting what you've been told, there is no rational chain of logic that leads to Christianity or Islam or any other religion.

If you kill all Christians destroy all their writings, Christianity will be wiped out forever never to return.
If you did the same with atheism, it'll be back the moment the next generation turn 10 or 12 and start noticing that the religion they were taught doesn't agree with reality.

Also even if we were to form an Atheism Legion of Doom and select a prophet, it wouldn't be Dawkins. All respect to the great scientist, but with the quality of candidates we have to pick from he wouldn't make the top 200. Who is Dawkins when we have great writers and thinkers like Bertrand Russell and Robert G.Ingersoll, people like Thomas Paine, Baruch Spinoza, Arthur Schopenhauer; men like Jean Meslier, people like Pythagoras and Diogenes and Epicurus who had destroyed your best arguments arguments before 300B.C.E. Even if we had to pick a scientist, what happened to Hawkins and Einstein and Darwin and Rosalind Franklin and the dozens of others who have contributed as much or more than Dawkins?

Fallacy!

If Christianity could start from nothing once, it can start from nothing again.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 26, 2014
italo:

Fallacy!

Who told you Christianity started from nothing. How? Explain
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 26, 2014
Evilbrain1 before I became an atheist the only atheist I know was that professor of philosophy at unilag that writes editorials in the punch newspaper. It was when i started going through religious section of nairaland that I knew we have other Nigerian atheists

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 3:35pm On Nov 26, 2014
Dapo777:

Who told you Christianity started from nothing. How? Explain

It wasn't in existence at a point in time, then it came into existence at a point in time. That's what I mean by "Christianity started from nothing."

If you disagree, tell us how it started.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by EvilBrain1(m): 3:42pm On Nov 26, 2014
italo:

Fallacy!

So how come it didn't start from nothing in the isolated peoples of the Americas and Australia before your Christian brothers arrived to genocide them and force the religion down their throats? How come not a single pacific islander got a revelation of Christianity from god before the oyimbos came to indoctrinate them? After all christianity makes logical sense and god was appearing before people all the time like Moses and the prophets and Peter and over 200 disciples at the assumption, and Paul. Saint Paul even made it clear that even though Jesus' mother and brother and disciples were still alive, he didn't receive any of his knowledge from them, but direct from the lord (Gal. 1.12).

If God was so happy to show up so often, how come he didn't pop down to visit any of the millions and millions of people who were culturally isolated from the middle east so that they too could learn how to be saved without having 90% of their populace wiped out by invading Christians?

Newton and Leibniz independently invented calculus. Darwin and Wallace independently discovered evolution. That's because unlike in religion, 2 people looking at similar evidence and applying the rules of logic will always eventually reach the same conclusion. Religion on the other hand has to be taught and people need to be forced into conformity. The moment you stop being able to coerce any group of religious people, they'll split off to form their own sect with a different set of beliefs. The only way 2 groups of people with different religious beliefs can ever agree is if you wave a cutlass over their heads. That's how Constantine established orthodox christianity back in the day.

What you will never see is some teenager in North Korea coming up with the principle of vicarious redemption through a Galilean carpenter or the bread and wine ritual on his own without first hearing it from another Christian. If it ever happens that would be pretty convincing proof that Christianity was at least partially true. It might even convince me.

1 Like

Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 26, 2014
italo:

It wasn't in existence at a point in time, then it came into existence at a point in time. That's what I mean by "Christianity started from nothing."

If you disagree, tell us how it started.

It started at the council of nicea . So stop lying
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by plaetton: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2014
honeychild:

You seem more ignorant than the people you are bashing.
I just can't figure out why it is so impossible for religious folks to understand what atheism is.
It is simply lack of belief in god.
It is not a group thing.
It is not an intellectual thing.
No manuals, no creeds, no goals.
Just a refusal to believe in unprovable and contradictory myth of an invisible skydaddy.
It is not an initiation. It is not a fad.
The information age makes it possible for people who have has doubts and inner stirrings to voice their convictions without fear.

There are a lot more atheists in your society that we think. Many are still waiting by the fence probing and asking for meaning. Many others pretend to remain in their religions because they are fearful and may not be aware that they have the freewill to reject religion and the idea of god.

Books like Dawkins help those curious but fearful minds to see that it's OK and even refreshing to examine alternative worldviews different from what they have been yolked onto before they were able to articulate their own thoughts and minds.
An atheists is just one who has complete SOVEREIGNTY of his or her mind. Period.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by plaetton: 4:00pm On Nov 26, 2014
voltron:
If you compare and contrast religion as practiced in the UK , Most of Europe, Australia, Canada, or U SA with the religions practiced in Nigeria, you would immediately recognize why Nigerian atheist, although a minuscule minority, have to make as much noise with as much mockery and ridicule as is necessary to ever shame and roll back the irrationality of religion.
Religious irrationality is turning this potentially great nation into a zombie vegetable farm the size of Texas.
Re: "Daddy GO" of Atheism: My First Impressions by italo: 11:14pm On Nov 26, 2014
Can you show evidence that Christianity started in the Council of Nicea.

*Pls dont mention this again.

It reveals just how ignorant and clueless you are to all and sundry.

Dapo777:

It started at the council of nicea . So stop lying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor John Hagee Apologizes For Referring To Catholic Church As ‘Great LovePeddler’ / Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! / 10 Pictures Some Catholic Members Can Relate To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.