Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) (9658 Views)

Helping Children With Learning Disabilities / Special Education For Children With Special Needs Is The Fair Way To Go. / I Am Passionate About Helping Your Children With Difficulties In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by sweetpoison(m): 5:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
Better bring his school to nigeria too cos here na kunu and dount dem solve solve children attention problem..and besides here what we know as attention is erect1on
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by EreluY(f): 5:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
Caracta: Your location says London. What do you even know about our educational system? Even autistic children are doing well here. Some of you just sit in front of your keyboards and type rubbish.

Yes, I am in London and I know a lot about the Nigerian public (not private) school system to which my earlier comments refer. If I may ask, can you provide me with a link to, or a policy document on, this matter? And, by the way, you haven't answered the OP's question.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Caracta(f): 5:40pm On Oct 26, 2013
Erelu_Y:

Yes, I am in London and I know a lot about the Nigerian public (not private) school system to which my earlier comments refer. If I may ask, can you provide me with a link to, or a policy document on, this matter? And, by the way, you haven't answered the OP's question.

I answered her question in my first post on this thread. I'm sure she wasn't referring to just public schools.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
Erelu_Y: Nigerian Schools have no policy or scheme in place for special needs children in its system. For the sake of your child and his/her future, do all that is in your powers to REMAIN where you are or relocate to another developed country. Please do not relocate to Nigeria. If, however, you care less about her/his future and, therefore, willing to jeopardise his future chances in life, then feel free return to Nigeria. Good luck.

You are right insofar as you are referring to the federal and state public school systems in Nigeria. However this is not necessarily a bad thing in the context of a child with ADHD
Could be and should be that the more authoritarian school system in Nigeria is what the boy needs to pay attention in class. undecided undecided
Why relocate if you want everything to be the same in Nigeria as it is in America. undecided undecided
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Ibime(m): 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
Lynn48: My son has been on medication for almost 3 years which helps him to focus in school. I was wondering what kind of assistance I would receive from teachers and doctors when my family moves to Nigeria? What is the general attitude toward learning disabilities and any laws to accommodate and help children in school?

We will deliver your son with koboko just like my own ADHD was cured.

Medication? For children? Seriously?

No wonder pikin dey get problem for Obodo Oyibo.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ibime:

We will deliver your son with koboko just like my own ADHD was cured.

Medication? For children? Seriously?

No wonder pikin dey get problem for Obodo Oyibo.
You're right there.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by grandstar(m): 6:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
I probably suffer from ADD. I am extremely disorganised but very intelligent. ADD is mentioned as many times as Lusaka in nigerian schools. if you know his medication ensure if takes it and i am sure he'll be fine. my 2cents
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Ama28(f): 7:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
I think you need to make research about the state you intend to relocate to and know if they have it.
I know a special school at enugu state. Its at abakpa nike and it owned by Prof Peter Ebigbo's wife who is a german and an educational pedagogist.

The children here are not flogged and their school system is far more different from what is attainable in Nigeria.
I did a program at the school for a few weeks then.
The teaching model is one child to a teacher, they do more of art work than convention school work.
They have all sorts of special education teachers!
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 26, 2013
Caracta:

This is not a problem. I don't know where you plan to relocate to but i'm very positive that there are some schools in Lagos that cater for such needs even beyond your expectation. Don't listen to people trying to discourage you. Must of them don't know anything about schools or what they offer. They are always ready to paint Nigeria black.

I have worked in a school for children with special needs and learning disabilities. These schools are quite expensive though. Every child can learn but you need to understand the child's learning style.There is no dumb child...and every child is different.

OlowoTee:

I'm sorry, this is so wrong information. Except you are referring to Public Schools, here..

Please can you both put down the names of the relevant schools that you know of or a way for the OP to find the information?
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by chineloSA(f): 8:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
OP, I understand your concern,

what type of ADHD was your son diagnosed with??

ADHD - Predom Inattentive -
He can go to a normal school, though you have to closely manage the situation. Report to the teacher and also request the teacher not to tell other kids as it stigmatize the child thereby academic perfomance worsens and possibility of Depression. No joke managing Depression + ADHD. If he cant cope then you can move him to a special school.

ADHD - Hyper Impulsive -
ADHD - Combined

For these two I suggest a special school. Looking at the society, and what facilities and support can be offered to you and your child, your child is likely to be expelled, always in trouble, be bullied and be a bully.

As for what the government offers, its hard even for practitioners in Nigeria to practice because of lack of governmental support and structures.There are very few Psychologist and Psychiatrists who can give you parental support.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by jamngr84(m): 9:01pm On Oct 26, 2013
the simple truth of the matter is that children in the UK or Europe are pampered and when they cant pay attention or are not behaving normally, they say they have one form of disorder. If that child had grown up in Nigeria, i believe he would have learnt to pay attention at an early age as a little floogging would have ensured that he pays attention.
My advise, if u dont want to put him in a disable school, u had better leave him there or let that disorder be cured by some little discipline.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by chineloSA(f): 9:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
jamngr84: the simple truth of the matter is that children in the UK or Europe are pampered and when they cant pay attention or are not behaving normally, they say they have one form of disorder. If that child had grown up in Nigeria, i believe he would have learnt to pay attention at an early age as a little floogging would have ensured that he pays attention.
My advise, if u dont want to put him in a disable school, u had better leave him there or let that disorder be cured by some little discipline.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Black parents.smh.

I came across your likes, that's why mental disorders/ mental health are neglected in Nigeria grin grin grin grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
ileobatojo:

Please can you both put down the names of the relevant schools that you know of or a way for the OP to find the information?
I was able to get these details off one of the teachers:
*M.D Special School, Omole
**GreenSpring Schools, Anthony & Lekki

Then, there is this other one owned by Mrs. Akande who partners with GTBank for the annual Autism Week event. I would send the name as soon as I have it.

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Caracta(f): 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
ileobatojo:

I don't know the state she wants to relocate to. In Lagos, she can check out Corona Schools, Greensprings and Children International School, Lekki.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
OlowoTee:
I was able to get these details off one of the teachers:
*M.D Special School, Omole
**GreenSpring Schools, Anthony & Lekki

Then, there is this other one owned by Mrs. Akande who partners with GTBank for the annual Autism Week event. I would send the name as soon as I have it.

Best wishes

Caracta:

I don't know the state she wants to relocate to. In Lagos, she can check out Corona Schools, Greensprings and Children International School, Lekki.

Nice one ladies. Thanks! The choices of available schools may also help her decide what state to go to. The information could also be useful for other parents in similar situations.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Caracta(f): 9:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
Many private schools in Lagos don't even flog children. It's a rule. You break it as a teacher, then kiss your job goodbye. Don't worry, CCTV covers everywhere. Some of them use Montessori system of teaching little children and British curriculum. At Primary one, every child is expected to know how to use a keyboard and name computer parts.

They don't even give class positions at the end of the term so a child would not feel dumb and below his peers. Children with special needs are seriously paid attention to. So ADD is not a big deal. Your child has his own learning style, no biggie.

Welcome to Nigeria cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by blank(f): 12:39am On Oct 27, 2013
The learning place in Lekki phase one, Lagos is dedicated to such cases. This is their website http://www.tlpcentre.com/

The director is Mrs. Bolanle Adewole

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by twinstar210: 2:09am On Oct 27, 2013
Lynn48: My son has been on medication for almost 3 years which helps him to focus in school. I was wondering what kind of assistance I would receive from teachers and doctors when my family moves to Nigeria? What is the general attitude toward learning disabilities and any laws to accommodate and help children in school?
pls what is d name of d medication maybe it could be of help to my son who is hyper active.I will really appreciate ur reply.I will suggest u educate the school about ur child n his condition dat will help ur child do well in school.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by olatula: 5:10am On Oct 27, 2013
There's a skul @ Idimu called Do-estdot n dey av enof facilities for kids with all types of learning disabilities. Y not try it out. Moreova, we av so many skuls like dat here in Nigeria.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Tintinix: 7:24am On Oct 27, 2013
Erelu_Y: Nigerian Schools have no policy or scheme in place for special needs children in its system. For the sake of your child and his/her future, do all that is in your powers to REMAIN where you are or relocate to another developed country. Please do not relocate to Nigeria. If, however, you care less about her/his future and, therefore, willing to jeopardise his future chances in life, then feel free return to Nigeria. Good luck.
Please rate your comment and be sincere to yourself... Have you helped??
Please stay were you are so as not to jeopardise the future of your children.
@OP, when looking for schools anywhere, a candid open conversation with the school administrator on your requirements and the needs of your child Is encouraged! And ways to track that these requirements are being met. Also please note that here the education and upbringing of the child is not left to the school alone! Not everything is attributed to ADHD! Discipline is also required! Active participation in the child's learning, dicipher the learning pattern! I get more from my kids during homework time when they have Napped after school, Hi fives, good, great,perfect and excellente' does wonders too! They strive for "Genius" remarks!
Words of encouragement does wonders!
Less TV and sugars!
... And Lots of play during playtime.. Its hard rewarding work! And it applys everwhere!
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by jamngr84(m): 9:44am On Oct 27, 2013
yes oh they are neglected, but u do not c them going on a raping, killing or drinking rampage. unlike in europe or Us were the mental are in safe custody and most of the perfectly sane go on child abuse(uk) killing spree (usa) and drinking and smoking at a very young age.
chineloSA:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Black parents.smh.

I came across your likes, that's why mental disorders/ mental health are neglected in Nigeria grin grin grin grin grin.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by chineloSA(f): 11:49am On Oct 27, 2013
jamngr84: yes oh they are neglected, but u do not c them going on a raping, killing or drinking rampage. unlike in europe or Us were the mental are in safe custody and most of the perfectly sane go on child abuse(uk) killing spree (usa) and drinking and smoking at a very young age.

I am very disappointed.Clearly you do not understand anything about Public Health.

One of the indicators of a progressive society is Public Health Care offered to its citizens including ( Community Health, Education, Mental Health etc ).
You come here beating your chest for physically abusing helpless people, and you condoning the act as a measure to control them? How pathetic can you get? angry angry angry angry angry

If the government fails to take care of Epileptic patients talkless of ADHD or Mental health patients, you think its ok. You thinks its ok to abuse mentally challenged people. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

You are really a disappointment. smh

Get your self some education on Public Health, Mental Health, Primary Health Care and Community Health. It will do you good if you understand what all those three entail and what is your role, the FG role are before you disappoint next time. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Originalsly: 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2013
Let's reason. For 3 years your son has been on medication for him to focus. To date he still can't focus...and you are worried about him not being able to focus in Nigeria because either he will not get the medication or professional care. When is the medication scheduled to cure him from ADD? That's the problem with so many people abroad...they buy into the theory that any problem can be managed by drugs...not cured but managed. Kids especially boys are naturally unfocused. The school system in Nigeria itself does not allow the kids to run rampant as I guess...in the US. Without medication the teachers know how to take care of "ADD kids"....parents know how to take care of "ADD kids"....rich or poor. They been doing that for years and years. Stop looking for solutions in medication and look in the mirror and ask yourself how you are failing as a parent. The only thing you should be considering is to find a good school in Nigeria...one than can give your kid quality education. FYI...do you know boys put on certain ADD medication begin to grow breasts at puberty? That was featured on I think 60 Minutes or 20/20 about a year ago. Go ahead not seeing results and think drugs do not have side effects.Your son would be drug free and just fine in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Lynn48(f): 6:50pm On Oct 27, 2013
nep2ra: It's called ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)

actually ADD is different from ADHD. He only has focus issues, not behavioral hyperactivity problems.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Lynn48(f): 6:57pm On Oct 27, 2013
grandstar: I probably suffer from ADD. I am extremely disorganised but very intelligent. ADD is mentioned as many times as Lusaka in nigerian schools. if you know his medication ensure if takes it and i am sure he'll be fine. my 2cents

thank you, I'm also looking to see where or if I can get his medication in Lagos or Ibadan.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by chineloSA(f): 7:21pm On Oct 27, 2013
Lynn48:

actually ADD is different from ADHD. He only has focus issues, not behavioral hyperactivity problems.

Sweetheart, I do not think you understand the condition that your child has.

ADD and ADHD - PI are the same.

As I indicated above there are three types of ADHD and your son seem to fall under ADHD - PI ( Predominantly Inattentive). Yes they are not hyperactive and impulsive like the other two, but they normally have depression as a comorbid condition.

So you may think your son is better, only to discover that he has been depressed.

I suggest before you leave the US, go to a psychologist or psychiatrist who did a diagnosis for your son. Ask that they refer you to parent support classes, If you don't know that they are the same I do not think you went through parental support classes on how to deal with children with this condition ( which is compulsory for Retalin ( most commonly used) / or any antidepressant prescribed patients )

Not sure about US, but this side if you diagnose ADHD and prescribe Retalin its compulsory to go for classes and also get continuous support when you start treatment

You will not get the parental support in Nigeria. After more understanding I am sure the severity as per the discussion with your therapist will determine if you enrol your child in a normal school or special school.

But jumping into special school enrolment just like that, will not be the best option for your son. undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Lynn48(f): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
Originalsly: Let's reason. For 3 years your son has been on medication for him to focus. To date he still can't focus...and you are worried about him not being able to focus in Nigeria because either he will not get the medication or professional care. When is the medication scheduled to cure him from ADD? That's the problem with so many people abroad...they buy into the theory that any problem can be managed by drugs...not cured but managed. Kids especially boys are naturally unfocused. The school system in Nigeria itself does not allow the kids to run rampant as I guess...in the US. Without medication the teachers know how to take care of "ADD kids"....parents know how to take care of "ADD kids"....rich or poor. They been doing that for years and years. Stop looking for solutions in medication and look in the mirror and ask yourself how you are failing as a parent. The only thing you should be considering is to find a good school in Nigeria...one than can give your kid quality education. FYI...do you know boys put on certain ADD medication begin to grow breasts at puberty? That was featured on I think 60 Minutes or 20/20 about a year ago. Go ahead not seeing results and think drugs do not have side effects.Your son would be drug free and just fine in Nigeria.

I think you are being entirely too presumptuous - with the meds he focuses better and does much better in school;
yes we look to manage it and in some cases, hopefully in his too, they manage it better with age. I have no concerns about what you see as my failings as a parent - I have a right to try and do the best for my kid. Many people here have said he'll simply be flogged - that's scary. Believe it or not, his father has spanked him if need be but NOT for focus issues, that's like spanking someone for having blue eyes or black hair. As for breasts at puberty, our pediatrist has never mentioned that, but I'll certainly ask him now. Anyway, thanks for your comments

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Lynn48(f): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
chineloSA:

As I indicated above there are three types of ADHD and your son seem to fall under ADHD - PI ( Predominantly Inattentive). Yes they are not hyperactive and impulsive like the other two, but they normally have depression as a comorbid condition.

So you may think your son is better, only to discover that he has been depressed.

I suggest before you leave the US, go to a psychologist or psychiatrist who did a diagnosis for your son. Ask that they refer you to parent support classes, If you don't know that they are the same I do not think you went through parental support classes on how to deal with children with this condition ( which is compulsory for Retalin ( most commonly used) / or any antidepressant prescribed patients )

Not sure about US, but this side if you diagnose ADHD and prescribe Retalin its compulsory to go for classes and also get continuous support when you start treatment

You will not get the parental support in Nigeria. After more understanding I am sure the severity as per the discussion with your therapist will determine if you enrol your child in a normal school or special school.

But jumping into special school enrolment just like that, will not be the best option for your son. undecided undecided undecided undecided

simple question - how do you think we know he has this condition? You think we just decided he has it because we were bored? You don't think we ever saw ANY professionals? I won't bother to tell you how many we in fact saw to confirm & reconfirm. Well, thanks for your input

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by chineloSA(f): 7:45pm On Oct 27, 2013
Lynn48:

simple question - how do you think we know he has this condition? You think we just decided he has it because we were bored? You don't think we ever saw ANY professionals? I won't bother to tell you how many we in fact saw to confirm & reconfirm. Well, thanks for your input

Eaasssy mama, I never said you never consulted a professional. I said go back to that professional who did that diagnoses, because its clear, that you don't have a clear understanding of your sons condition.

That ''PROFESSIONAL" needs to refer you for classes, as you will not get any support in Nigeria.

If you don't know that ADHD-PI and ADD are the same, than you don't know much about your sons condition undecided undecided undecided undecided

I say all of this because I work with them. So I know what goes on. I am not attacking you at all. I am just advising. You can take my advice or you may leave it, I am not going to hold a gun against your head smiley smiley smiley
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
chineloSA:

very true.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Originalsly: 11:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
Lynn48:

I think you are being entirely too presumptuous - with the meds he focuses better and does much better in school;
yes we look to manage it and in some cases, hopefully in his too, they manage it better with age. I have no concerns about what you see as my failings as a parent - I have a right to try and do the best for my kid. Many people here have said he'll simply be flogged - that's scary. Believe it or not, his father has spanked him if need be but NOT for focus issues, that's like spanking someone for having blue eyes or black hair. As for breasts at puberty, our pediatrist has never mentioned that, but I'll certainly ask him now. Anyway, thanks for your comments

I have no doubt that you want the best for your child. I guess I was too blunt in my previous comment ... hmmm...was riled up and should've popped a ritalin or two before hitting the keyboard. I would adbise that you do some research on the effects of Ritalin and not depend solely on what the "professionals" say. After all...most are salesmen for the pharmaceutical corporations.For a start ...read the Warning on the Ritalin package...I am sure you didn't. Why?...because the manufacturers of the drug tell you that they have no guarantee on the effectiveness of the drug, don't know (don't care) about long term effects and don't really know exactly how the drug affects the mentality of the child. If they don't know ...should you really believe what the professionals say? If nothing else I hope this thread make you think twice about Ritalin."It takes a village..."
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 28, 2013
Lynn48:

Truth be told if your son acts up in a class in Nigeria he will simply be severely and ruthlessly dealt with whether in a public or 'private' school. After all said and done this is much better than the internal or external exclusion of troublesome pupils from mainstream education that happens in American and English schools.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Single Sex School Vs Mixed School Which Is Better?? / Professional Exams In Public Relations / President Jonathan Commissions 64 Almajiri Model Schools Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.