Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,416 members, 7,800,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Evergreen Nigerian Songs - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Evergreen Nigerian Songs (43736 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Songs For July 2013 / Your Top 20 Evergreen Love Songs / Nigerian Songs That Never Get Old ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 27, 2013
lalaboi:

If he was not around in the 70's or 80's and he never listened or came across or enjoyed those songs from back then, why should he regard those tunes as evergreen for himself? You all sound like you wanto get stuck in the 80's and 70's. its fine by me. all i know is my generation or his generation grew up listening to the likes of those he mentioned, so the general consensus would be that those songs are evergreen to his generation. Call him kid or whatever, but they are evergreen. Shikena

I do not see anything wrong in calling a kid a kid. That is the problem with recent generations, showing respect to your elders is a big problem. Once you grow a beard, get an enlarged peni.s and start touching brea.st, you think everyone ought to be your mate and respect you. Nowadays you find a jss 1 kid walk past sss3 block and greets only if he feels like it. In my time, you won't even dare walk past jss3 in that manner.

Back to the issue, songs from the 70's and 80's hold a lot of memories. It is not about just being evergreen, Nigeria was a different country then and the memories locked with it. For example, there was no dstv, internet, even local TV stations were scanty-all I had was nta Benin that started broadcasting 5pm daily, the turn table that was connected to our denon deck, the humonguous sanyo television covered with wood, had four legs and could be locked with a key, then audio cassettes.

There's a strong degree of nostalgia for that time and very little can be done to change that.

3 Likes

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 27, 2013
OCTAVO:
Ok, thanks very much. I can't wait cheesy
Tolozie@yahoo.com
Will be M̶̲̥̅Ɣ pleasure. Will send it 2 U̶̲̥̅̊ soonest.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 9:59am On Oct 27, 2013
blink182: I do not see anything wrong in calling a kid a kid. That is the problem with recent generations, showing respect to your elders is a big problem. Once you grow a beard, get an enlarged peni.s and start touching brea.st, you think everyone ought to be your mate and respect you. Nowadays you find a jss 1 kid walk past sss3 block and greets only if he feels like it. In my time, you won't even dare walk past jss3 in that manner.

Back to the issue, songs from the 70's and 80's hold a lot of memories. It is not about just being evergreen, Nigeria was a different country then and the memories locked with it. For example, there was no dstv, internet, even local TV stations were scanty-all I had was nta Benin that started broadcasting 5pm daily, the turn table that was connected to our denon deck and audio cassettes.

There's a strong degree of nostalgia for that time and very little can be done to change that.

@ bolded: That's what I feel when I listen to Fela's songs. It's not something that I can easily explain, but I remember all these feelings. The tension, the uncertainty. The attacks on FGN cars, the nationwide shutdown of all universities. The banning of newspapers and associations. The black maria and landrover on Igbosere Road. The armoured tanks. The coups, the explosions, the motorcades. The giant newspaper headlines. The black front pages of newspapers. "How many students soja go kill?"

Fela's music was the soundtrack to all these and more and listening to his songs today brings back so many memories and feelings.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 27, 2013
Blazinraj01:
I only have the 'Amoran' album. If you want it, I can mail it to you
I would be very g8tfl. Here'$ M̶̲̥̅Ɣ email addy Solufunminiyi@gmail.com. Would be expecting them. If U̶̲̥̅̊ got other old skool tunes also, pls be kind enof 2 mail them 2 Me. Tnx so much cheesy
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 27, 2013
warrenweste:
Fosimwills@gmail.com..will be expecting thanx a lot bro..
You welcome. Will be M̶̲̥̅Ɣ pleasure.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 27, 2013
Baba Eto:

If u re in Lagos u can easily get his CD , I recently bought "Amoran" in a record store @berger stop in a road leading to Ojodu. D store I close to "gbenga Adeboye office" I even bought 2 dt day because I hv been lookin 4dem. U can also download dem on "tubidymobi.com"
I stay in ibadan. Pls I would be g8tfl if U̶̲̥̅̊ can be kind enof to send to songs to Me via M̶̲̥̅Ɣ email. Solufunminiyi@gmail.com. Tnx so much.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 27, 2013
SANdos: Terra Kota-Tell me if you know the city of Sodom.
Pls if you've got the Terra Kota songs, pls be kind enof to send dem 2 M̶̲̥̅Ɣ email addy Solufunminiyi@gmail.com. Been lukn for his songs. I last listened 2 his songs in 96.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 27, 2013
naptu2:

@ bolded: That's what I feel when I listen to Fela's songs. It's not something that I can easily explain, but I remember all these feelings. The tension, the uncertainty. The attacks on FGN cars, the nationwide shutdown of all universities. The banning of newspapers and associations. The black maria and landrover on Igbosere Road. The armoured tanks. The coups, the explosions, the motorcades. The giant newspaper headlines. The black front pages of newspapers. "How many students soja go kill?"

Fela's music was the soundtrack to all these and more and listening to his songs today brings back so many memories and feelings.
I rest my case. You totally see things as I do.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by lalaboi(m): 10:35am On Oct 27, 2013
blink182: I do not see anything wrong in calling a kid a kid. That is the problem with recent generations, showing respect to your elders is a big problem. Once you grow a beard, get an enlarged peni.s and start touching brea.st, you think everyone ought to be your mate and respect you. Nowadays you find a jss 1 kid walk past sss3 block and greets only if he feels like it. In my time, you won't even dare walk past jss3 in that manner.

Back to the issue, songs from the 70's and 80's hold a lot of memories. It is not about just being evergreen, Nigeria was a different country then and the memories locked with it. For example, there was no dstv, internet, even local TV stations were scanty-all I had was nta Benin that started broadcasting 5pm daily, the turn table that was connected to our denon deck, the humonguous sanyo television covered with wood, had four legs and could be locked with a key, then audio cassettes.

You do not only have a different meaning of evergreen, you also have a different meaning of respect. Whatever happened to respecting the 'kid' and his opinion? Rather than completely dismiss them. If you wanted him to listen to some of those tunes you feel are evergreen you should have suggested he listened to them and hear his thoughts. It will not only avoid this uneccesary discussion about respectt or whatnot, it will educate the kid.

But your generation just like to dismiss this generation for whatever reason i dont know. Acting like your generation was waaaay better and guess who's responsibke for nigeria's problem right now? Certainly not this kids generation. If anything its your generation destroying the lives of d kids generation.

Enough generation talk. I was just addressing your issue of respects n evergreen. I do however have no qualms with the rest of your post. ire o

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by janetDurling(f): 11:15am On Oct 27, 2013
So far......So good. D 1st 2 comment and got d highest number of likes......'E seun gan' Kent forget Evergreen musiks/singers- Orlando Owoh, Haruna Isola, Yusuf Olatunji, I.K Dairo, KSA, Barry wonder, e.t.c Btw My fave- Christy Igbokwes' Omo mi seun rere ti re adara o, omo mi gbotemi ti re adara o.....Aye ti mo wa yi ko ma ye mi o...eyin ni olorun keji mi laye!!!!!ProudlyYoruba
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by OCTAVO: 11:25am On Oct 27, 2013
Does anyone remember "I need someone" by Kris Okotie? I love the song too cool
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by 0monnakoda: 11:36am On Oct 27, 2013

What is jss and sss
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by OCTAVO: 12:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
Chei!! Derailers will kill the nostalgic fun in this thread ooooo
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 12:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
OCTAVO: Does anyone remember "I need someone" by Kris Okotie? I love the song too cool

I posted the video above. I'm currently looking for "Fine Mama".

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 12:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
naptu2: ♪Here we come again,
In another style.
Ah this a one is a rat race style.

Here we come again,
It is not just another song.
Rat race style is a crucial style.

We coming live and direct.
Just to make you feel irie.
Wo this a Christ time style e,
Come make we listen to the lyrics.

They don't feel any guilty.
They keep selling their guns for you to die.
To make the world so hot,
For no reason every season,
What a shameless race,
Jah knows,
Where they really heading to♫
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 12:34pm On Oct 27, 2013
I should be helping this kid with her home work, but you guys have done something to me. Memories keep flooding in.

I used to regard them as the trinity, but strangely I can't remember who the third person is.

Victor Olaiya, Eddie Okonta and ?

I've always loved this song and I was pleased when it was used as the sig tune of "Shopper's Guide", a Saturday morning show, hosted by Femi Robinson.

Here's the Obi of Trumpet, Eddie Okonta with "Otanjele"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKfaZMrGQs
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 12:57pm On Oct 27, 2013
How can we talk about evergreen music without talking about the people that promoted this music?

Yom-Yem, Art Alade and

Wel-come e-very bo-dy!

Bala Milla.

This is an amazing video of music that will never die.

Balla Milla, Steve Rhodes and Gloria Rhodes-Nash (she was so slim then) perform a medley of "Baby Jowo", "Taxi Driver", "Omo Pupa", "Omo Laso" and "Joromi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2-c4L7OEtY

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by OCTAVO: 12:57pm On Oct 27, 2013
naptu2:

I posted the video above. I'm currently looking for "Fine Mama".
Kk
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Blazinraj01(f): 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
Tolexander: that's my may anytime any microsecond!

omo odo agba ni e o.
You were scarce for a while?

smiley thanks. I've been online. Just laying low. Nice write-ups.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Emkay2(m): 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2013
Indeed we have alot of children on dis platform....except one guy who mentioned Yussuf Olatunji. I think if we want to talk about evergreen songs we w'll be talking about song of Ebenezer Obey, King Sunny Ade, Fela, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Kollington Ayinla, K1, Onyeka Owenu, Haruna Ishola, Dauda Epo-akara,Edna Ogoli, Majek Fashek and lots of Igbo highlife musician and many more. But this depends on one's Age bracket dat will inflence his/her evergreen music type. Great day guys
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by shumax: 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2013
Chubhie: Ohh mine!
Bongos ikweu~Fuel for Love
Osita Osankwas songs~peoples club
Oliver de coque hits
One Guy n Ala owerri that sang uwa wu pawpaw
All owerrii native songs
All sunny Ades hits
Ebenezer obey hits

Amongst others.My sense of music and Books is a part of me I Respect so much. Have made it a duty to also leave a legacy of Good sense of music n books to my kids. Shout out to my unborn babies and my wify. Dad is putting finishing touches to it all to give you guys an unforgettable earthly experience!

Fuel For Love was by Winkers band not Bongos Ikwe

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Tolexander: 4:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
Blazinraj01:

smiley thanks. I've been online. Just laying low. Nice write-ups.
why laying low sister?

Almost tried coming to your place for the sallah.

Before forgetting, barka de sallah in arrears!
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
This one is from the 1970s. I have searched everywhere for this song, but I can't find it. I had the small vinyl record disc from the late 70s to the mid 80s. I can't remember the person's name, but he was dubbed the Nigerian James Brown. The song went.

♪One early morning,
I want to see my baby.

One early morning,
I heard she gone to heaven.

Don't want no guitar,
Don't want no cigarettes,
I want to see my loooove!♫

The bass and horns were AMAZING!
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 27, 2013
[quote author=naptu2][/quote]
A wonderful song. Rat Race- The Mandators; Peggy and Victor Essiet. Listened 2 it over 8 tyms 2da alone.
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
Emkay@2:
Indeed we have alot of children on dis platform....except one guy who mentioned Yussuf Olatunji. I think if we want to talk about evergreen songs we w'll be talking about song of Ebenezer Obey, King Sunny Ade, Fela, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Kollington Ayinla, K1, Onyeka Owenu, Haruna Ishola, Dauda Epo-akara,Edna Ogoli, Majek Fashek and lots of Igbo highlife musician and many more. But this depends on one's Age bracket dat will inflence his/her evergreen music type. Great day guys
Man U̶̲̥̅̊ don't need 2 criticize any1, U̶̲̥̅̊ capped it all, age bracket matters. We all belong 2 different generations, nd we ought to even understand what evergreen even means here. Moreover, we all got our most preferred genres. I listen 2 every genre of music as much as it is old skool naija, but not evrybody gon listen 2 everytn. We all got our most preferred evergreen pieces and artistes whom we cherish so much. So evry1 is listing is most preferred songs and artistes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by Ogininafio1(m): 1:44am On Oct 28, 2013
;DRumbar Styleeeeeee ...

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 1:28pm On Oct 28, 2013
Gosh! How could I forget Nelly Uchendu?

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2013
I'm crazy about 4 of Nelly Uchendu's songs, but I can't remember the title of one of the songs.

Mamausa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjV8jp7a0g8

Love Nwantinti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACfqnbP704

Wakabout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrTNZlaVOGc
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by warrenweste(m): 10:05pm On Oct 28, 2013
What aboutthis song.....when the going is good and smooth,many many people will be your friend...aya aya aya aya aya ........ayaa?? Who sang it..cheesy
Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 10:42pm On Oct 28, 2013
warrenweste: What aboutthis song.....when the going is good and smooth,many many people will be your friend...aya aya aya aya aya ........ayaa?? Who sang it..cheesy

Somewhere along the line, wires got crossed in my memory and I assumed that Jambos Express sang "When The Going Is Good And Smooth". I've just been made to realise that I was wrong. It was sung by William Onyeabor. 2 for the price of one.

William Onyeabor - "When The Going Is Smooth And Good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNhgHlhIGQ

Jambos Express - Mama Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZRXcaO1wU

2 Likes

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by naptu2: 10:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
I'm pretty sure that the song by Nelly Uchendu that I've been trying to remember is "Jesu Chelum"

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Nigerian Songs by warrenweste(m): 12:27am On Oct 29, 2013
naptu2:

Somewhere along the line, wires got crossed in my memory and I assumed that Jambos Express sang "When The Going Is Good And Smooth". I've just been made to realise that I was wrong. It was sung by William Onyeabor. 2 for the price of one.

William Onyeabor - "When The Going Is Smooth And Good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNhgHlhIGQ

Jambos Express - Mama Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZRXcaO1wU

Thanx much bro..been looking for that song since...will donwload it..what abt peper soup wey mama cook..who sang it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

D’banj’s Manager To Olamide: 'Stop Stealing Our Songs' / The Lyrics Of This Popular Song From The 90s Will Melt Your Heart (Video) / "No Shishi For Bribe" - 2Baba, Falz, Pasuma, Simi, Mr. P, Timi, Slimcase etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.