Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines (18465 Views)

Buhari, Cut Cost, Discard Presidential Fleet - PUNCH / Off-loading The Presidential Fleet / FG Spends N9bn Annually On 10-Aircraft Presidential Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by simpleseyi: 7:02am On Oct 23, 2013
The declining fortunes of the domestic airlines have made President Goodluck Jonathan’s 10-aircraft Presidential Air Fleet larger than the fleets of three domestic airlines combined, investigations by our correspondent revealed on Tuesday.

The three carriers are Chanchangi, MedView, and FirstNation airlines. Chanchangi has one aircraft; Medview Airlines, three; while FirstNation has two.

IRS Airlines, with five aircraft in its fleet, has only one that is currently operational. The four others have been sent overseas for routine maintenance for a long time now.

It can be technically assumed that the PAF is bigger than the four domestic airlines, according to industry experts.

Aerocontractors, the second largest domestic airline, which currently has about 12 aircraft in its fleet, is struggling under sundry debts like every other domestic airline.

Indications have also emerged that the 10-aircraft PAF may emerge the second largest domestic airline in the country after Arik Air, which currently has about 23 aircraft.

Aviation sources revealed, however, that unless the plan to turn Aerocontractors Airlines into a national carrier worked out, the declining fortunes of the debt-ridden airline might force it lose some of its planes to foreign aircraft leasing companies as it happened to Air Nigeria some years ago.

Top aviation officials admitted that the large size of the PAF could not be justified amid the dearth of aircraft among the domestic airlines, which lack adequate finance to buy more planes to meet up with the soaring passenger capacity.

Apart from Arik and Aerocontractors, each of the remaining domestic airlines does not possess half of the number of aircraft in the PAF, according to findings by our correspondent.

IRS Airlines has only one operational aircraft in its fleet; while Dana Air has five aircraft, in addition to those owned by Chanchangi, Medview and FirstNation, according to figures obtained from the industry.

According to findings, the PAF include two Falcon 7X jets, two Falcon 900 jets, a Gulfstream 550, one Boeing 737 BBJ (Nigerian Air Force 001 or Eagle One), and a Gulfstream IVSP.

Others are one Gulfstream V, Cessna Citation 2 aircraft and Hawker Siddley 125-800 jet.

Each of the Falcon 7X jets was purchased in 2010 at a cost of $51.1m, while the Gulfstream 550 costs $53.3m.

The factory price of the other aircraft in the fleet could not be obtained online. However, airline CEOs put the average price of the Falcon 900 at $35m; Gulfstream IVSP, $40m; Gulfstream V, $45m; Boeing 737 BBJ, $58m; Cessna Citation, $7m; and Hawker Siddley 125-800, $15m.

This brings a combined estimated value of the PAF to $390.5m (N60.53bn).

Nigeria happens to be one of the few countries in the world with a large PAF.

Most major countries in Europe and Asia maintain two aircraft in their PAF, according to Wikipedia.

According to the online portal, Japan maintains only two Boeing 747-400 planes in its PAF.

The two aircraft, mostly for the prime minister, the emperor and his wife, and other members of the Imperial Family, is operated by the Japan Air Self-Defence Force.

The aircraft were constructed at the Boeing factory at the same time as the United States’ Air Force One. Both Japanese aircraft were delivered in 1990.

Wikipedia also states that the Netherlands government operates only two aircraft, a Fokker 70 and Gulfstream IV to transport the Dutch Royal family and government officials such as the prime minister and other ministers.

They are also used for international conferences and for private trips by the Queen and the Prince of Orange. For long haul trips, the Royal Dutch Airline is used. Often the upper deck of a Boeing 747 is used.

The Queen of England and the Prime Minister, David Cameron, often go on British Airways chartered flights for long trips. Cameron was recently criticised by the UK media for chartering a foreign plane instead of a British.

According to Wikipedia, the Royal Squadron of the Royal Air Force maintains a fleet of Agusta A109 helicopters, BAE-125 mid-sized business jet and BAE-146 regional airliner to support short travel by the Royal Family, the Prime Minister and senior members of the British Government.

Countries like Ghana, Algeria and a host of others in Europe maintain only one aircraft in their PAF.

According to industry experts, airlines spend between 15 and 20 per cent of the cost of an aircraft on its operation yearly. They say that averagely, a little less than one-fifth of the cost of the plane is spent every year on insurance, flight and cabin crew, maintenance, fuelling, catering and training.

Going by the fact that at least 15 per cent of this amount is spent annually on operating the PAF, it means about $58.57m (N9.08bn ) is being spent annually on running the planes in the Nigerian PAF.

Some airline CEOs, who pleaded anonymity, had raised concerns over the economic sense behind the large mix of brands of aircraft in the PAF. They said although the fleet size was large, the cost of operation would have been cheaper if the Presidency had maintained only two brands.

According to the Nigerian Air Force’s website, the PAF’s current staff strength consists of 47 NAF officers, 173 airmen/airwomen and 96 technical and administrative civilians.

“The operational headquarters of the Fleet is located at the Presidential Wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, while the administrative personnel are at the Federal Secretariat. The fleet has a liaison office at the Presidential Villa. Flight operations, training, aircraft maintenance and general running of the fleet are funded by the Presidency,” according to the website.

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/news/presidential-fleet-larger-than-three-domestic-airlines/
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Gbawe: 7:10am On Oct 23, 2013
Nauseating really. It is the same PAF that some posters were celebrating lately on Nairaland. I understand the whole 'boys and their toys' thingy but I do not understand how any Nigerian who is not a politician can look at the issue of the PAF with anything but disgust. The PAF is the embodiment of the crude greed and 'throwback' inconsideration ruining Nigeria.

22 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Olaolufred(m): 7:39am On Oct 23, 2013
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE PRODIGAL SON WHO NOW HAVE MANY SHOES.

29 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Infomizer(m): 7:52am On Oct 23, 2013
It is regrettably lugubrious!!
*In Obahiagbon's voice*

7 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Sermwell(m): 9:29am On Oct 23, 2013
They should just stop telling us all this rubbish as there is nothing we can do about it! They should channel this energy on making the governmnet end ASUU strike! I really think that's just my major concern now

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by satellitedaisy: 9:31am On Oct 23, 2013
Oga Jona, hmmmm! See bush dey burn for here(NIGERIA) u leave am go dey look Bush wey dey burn for Israel. God dey watch us o. See as people dey die everyday for here, sotey ASUU strike palava follow kill person join. Anway, izzwell cry cry

1 Like

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by OuchDaddy(m): 9:31am On Oct 23, 2013
Really?
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 23, 2013
And someone expects him to fire Stella Oduah. You must be joking. Stella is just learning from her oga at the top with the BMW purchases.

14 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by gen2briz(m): 9:35am On Oct 23, 2013
Fresh air again
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by denisopapa: 9:35am On Oct 23, 2013
Wasteful government

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 23, 2013
Lolzz, oya anti jonathan make una come... Come and tell us whether this fleet has not always been lyk dat.. Tell us it was jonathan dat bought all of dem.. Tell us why u just realised this during the jonathan regime...

8 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nuvally: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2013
That's why its called "PRESIDENTIAL FLEET"
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Decapo: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2013
Fresh air toh вα∂

1 Like

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Jelo4kul(m): 9:37am On Oct 23, 2013
Why wont it be like dat wen ASUU money is on point.
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 23, 2013
Seriously
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 23, 2013
Well,they will surely give account of their stewardship one day.
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by mmalik(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2013
Nigeria is indeed broke
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Maczeelly(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2013
What can i say........
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by rodeo0070(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2013
EXCLUSIVE FROM NIGER-AREA...
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 23, 2013
WICKED GOVERNMENT

6 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 23, 2013
The way these monies climb into billions within the twinkle of an eye is really freaky! The million is gradually becoming a thing of the past as far our politicians are concerned. That being said I wouldn't blame ASUU though...
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by oc2fish: 9:41am On Oct 23, 2013
It is good we know this now. We know they don't show concern on things
That will benefit all . Pls have your fleet but settle. ASUU
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by ndubisik(m): 9:41am On Oct 23, 2013
What else do you expect from Nigeria's "presidential" fleet ?
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by Fadelex(m): 9:41am On Oct 23, 2013
in as much as I don't want to criticize president Jonathan for this waste because he met 6 or 7 jets in d fleet b4 adding to it, the honourable thing to do is to sell off 7 of these jets... 3 aircrafts (1 Boeing, 1 gulfstream and 1 falcon) are enuf...while he use d smaller ones for local and regional assignment, he can use d Boeing for international assignment due to d number of officials.
it's a shame that when our airline operators are dying, govt shows no concern and our looting brothers in d national assembly sees nothing wrong in approving purchase of new jets for d already crowded PAF. Malawian president had to sell off the only one inherited from her predecessor due to cost of maintenance. President Jonathan, plz reduce it.

14 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by agitator: 9:41am On Oct 23, 2013
Why is Jonathan using the money meant for business airlines to purchase presidential air fleet. angry angry angry angry
He should return the money to them sharp sharp otherwise .......... angry angry angry
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by venorite(m): 9:42am On Oct 23, 2013
Well then
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by agitator: 9:44am On Oct 23, 2013
Gbawe: Nauseating really. It is the same PAF that some posters were celebrating lately on Nairaland. I understand the whole 'boys and their toys' thingy but I do not understand how any Nigerian who is not a politician can look at the issue of the PAF with anything but disgust. The PAF is the embodiment of the crude greed and 'throwback' inconsideration ruining Nigeria.

I support you 10000000% he should be made to return the money he used in purchasing all those aircrafts to the business airlines or we go angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by diarra94(m): 9:44am On Oct 23, 2013
I would have loved to pray for nigeria, but nigeria's problem is highly immune to prayer. Trust me when i say its not cheap maintaining 10 aircrafts no matter their sizes

3 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by agitator: 9:45am On Oct 23, 2013
how can we allow this thiefery to go unpunished

1 Like

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by slightlyMad(f): 9:45am On Oct 23, 2013
yorubas will say "omo oju o rola rii, to n pe omo e ni olaniyonu"

a man whose generation has always been poor till date has decide to christen his child, "Richmond"
no wonder he eat 1 billion naira meal.

Lagbaja looked at the situation and he had no option but to call us MUMU, a very befitting title.

This is the same government saying they cannot meet ASUU's "outrageous" demands. we are talking about the future leaders here
wasting at home.
I wonder if he can actually fly 10 aircraft at same time with each costing ove 100 Million USD
a man who had no shoes.

That woman right now is working very hard to clean her tracks after messing with tax payers money
Even in the face of glaring evidences, Jonathan has refused to uninstall that Ms.
probably Patience told him not to give a damn.

I feel so ashamed that we have a gutless man with extremely low IQ ruling Africa's most populous nation.
i cant wait to cast another vote and remember jonathan, your case will be worst than Agagu's

16 Likes

Re: Presidential Fleet Larger Than Three Domestic Airlines by ghettodreamz(m): 9:46am On Oct 23, 2013
I sorry sorry ooooooo.
I sorry for Nijiria

I sorry sorry oooooo
I sorry for common men ooo.

I sorry, sorry oooooo
I sorry for Nijiria youth

Indeed, the beautiful ones are not yet born.

Wastage and excesses everywhere, yet poor men are dying and wallowing in abject poverty.

Lord send the 'messiah' to save Nijiria from the land of captivity and the snare of the fowlers and cleanse our land by your precious blood coz we are your Israel & make Nijiria whole again. In Jesus name we've asked, amen.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Ondo Lawmakers Test Positive For COVID-19 / "Emperor Tinubu": Akeredolu Says Mimiko Is An Ingrate & Disrespectful / Cameroon Says 27 Boko Haram Hostages Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.