Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? (15016 Views)

Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? / Outsourcing Business In Nigeria: Why Can't It Work? / Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by meekmk(m): 7:05am On Oct 23, 2013
Firstly I do hope this gets to the front page.

And I'm not trashing someones business, I just happen to have a problem with JUMIA's 5 days delivery policy.

Why on earth would i have to wait 5 days to receive an ordered Item, Within Lagos when i could as well go to the mall and get it.

5 days delivery policy for orders within lagos is just totally stupid and absurd if you ask me, C'mon i mean its Lagos... Why can delivery be same day..

AND Don't anyone say they are still growing because they are almost a year old now.

Secondly, A store which doesnt have Giftwrapping options, You can order gifts from them, Say My mum's Birthday is tomorrow morning, I cant place a fast order and have it delivered next morning, why then should i evn bother to waste my time on the website if it doesnt serve my most immediate needs.

They Do have their Plus sides too, but the service isnt comprehensive enough for me..

Please Share Experience.

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by sasview: 7:17am On Oct 23, 2013
Every business has its own challenges as a business grow you Identify its strength and weakness and make appropriate correction, I believe you can help jumia improve on their services if you compile the lapses you observed and forward it to them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by meekmk(m): 7:24am On Oct 23, 2013
sasview: Every business has its own challenges as a business grow you Identify its strength and weakness and make appropriate correction, I believe you can help jumia improve on their services if you compile the lapses you observed and forward it to them.

I tend to do a lot of things online, and this things were duelly observed Months ago, and i did tell them.. Even on vals Day, ordered roses, Roses were delivered dead and rusty, key items where missing, and was told unavailable , why put it on the website if it was available.

Same thing happened with my recent order, Ordered a wristwatch as gift, and was told it wasn't available, why not put Out of Stock on the ITEM?

I Stopped shopping with them for a while, hoping the would change, but apparently they didnt, on my recent order again got an email saying my full orer was cancelled, I asked why the cust serv said only one was cancelled, and that the message was automated, is that efficiency?

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by naijacutee(f): 8:00am On Oct 23, 2013
Ecommerce is still quite new in Nigeria, & is experiencing lots of challenges. However their failings present opportunities for competitors to enter the market and thrive. At least, if you decide to set up yours, you know key areas where you can make changes to improve customer experience.

Even in the UK where people have been buying online for many years, I know of NO stores that offer same day delivery. The best I've seen is a next day delivery policy, which is only valid when you buy before a certain time. Amazon is one if the best at this because they run on one of the most sophisticated inventory systems in the world. Their plans for the future include using robots to pick customers orders. If you take into account the process behind an order coming through to the back end, the process behind finding the order and dispatching it, you'll see it's not easy for large online retailers (unless you have a better idea). Recently, i found that Austin Reed, the high end UK clothes retailer offer delivery times of 5-10 days with NO next day delivery option. Here's a link which explains Amazons logistics system, and how they plan to improve it even more.http://www.geekosystem.com/amazon-kiva-robots/

8 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by meekmk(m): 9:58am On Oct 23, 2013
naijacutee: Ecommerce is still quite new in Nigeria, & is experiencing lots of challenges. However their failings present opportunities for competitors to enter the market and thrive. At least, if you decide to set up yours, you know key areas where you can make changes to improve customer experience.

Even in the UK where people have been buying online for many years, I know of NO stores that offer same day delivery. The best I've seen is a next day delivery policy, which is only valid when you buy before a certain time. Amazon is one if the best at this because they run on one of the most sophisticated inventory systems in the world. Their plans for the future include using robots to pick customers orders. If you take into account the process behind an order coming through to the back end, the process behind finding the order and dispatching it, you'll see it's not easy for large online retailers (unless you have a better idea). Recently, i found that Austin Reed, the high end UK clothes retailer offer delivery times of 5-10 days with NO next day delivery option. Here's a link which explains Amazons logistics system, and how they plan to improve it even more.http://www.geekosystem.com/amazon-kiva-robots/

We all are aware of this things, and the only reason i posted it here was so they could be insightful as to do something,
They could include an option at checkout for say priority, gift, next day delivery.. Nigerians are gullible kinda, for what they want they would pay anything, ... Just saying

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by garripack: 1:37pm On Oct 26, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-Xif you ask me na who i Go ask embarassed embarassed embarassed

guy abeg Go ask the manager of the company or the director in charge grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Ralphlauren(m): 1:37pm On Oct 26, 2013
Lol. Even the biggest stores in Europe do not offer same day delivery.

A good example is amazon. They've got a vast delivery network with big warehouses across various geo-zones with staff working round the clock. Yet they do not offer same day delivery.

The best you can get is next day delivery and that is subject to placing your order before a certain cut off time.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by ludot(m): 1:37pm On Oct 26, 2013
meekmk: Firstly I do hope this gets to the front page.

And I'm not trashing someones business, I just happen to have a problem with JUMIA's 5 days delivery policy.

Why on earth would i have to wait 5 days to receive an ordered Item, Within Lagos when i could as well go to the mall and get it.

5 days delivery policy for orders within lagos is just totally stupid and absurd if you ask me, C'mon i mean its Lagos... Why can delivery be same day..

AND Don't anyone say they are still growing because they are almost a year old now.

Secondly, A store which doesnt have Giftwrapping options, You can order gifts from them, Say My mum's Birthday is tomorrow morning, I cant place a fast order and have it delivered next morning, why then should i evn bother to waste my time on the website if it doesnt serve my most immediate needs.

They Do have their Plus sides too, but the service isnt comprehensive enough for me..

Please Share Experience.

If you are asked to pay more for same day delivery, will you?

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
U dey madt! u want make dem use ur village juju fly take deliver ur shoit abi?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by martin92(m): 1:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
Because it is a nigeria company. #fact#

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Deekaydadon(m): 1:41pm On Oct 26, 2013
Consider the fact that they're trying to save cost of transportation since delivery within Lagos is free. So I think they wait till orders from the same vicinity accumulates before they deliver.

12 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by omonla555: 1:41pm On Oct 26, 2013

Please Share Experience.

Hello Mr too know,
Please stop destroying other peoples business with your idle post on nairaland.
If you know that in the UK where virtually everthing works you don't have a day online delivery. Why are you requesting such from Jumia in Nigeria where virtually nothing works?

8 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
What is same day delivery?

If you need something delivered on the same day then go and buy it yourself and stop being lazy.

Wont the cost of such a delivery eclipse the price of the item itself?

6 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by abysirius(m): 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
Logistics Mgt. like every other bizness, Planning is key. They need time to do this. In fact, good planning will save money for the company.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
And why is the thread on front page when the one about washing pant and bra isnt?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by taiocol: 1:46pm On Oct 26, 2013
tpia@:
And why is the thread on front page when the one about washing pant and bra isnt?
martin92: Because it is a nigeria company. #fact#

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by RockMaxi: 1:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
Don't be silly OP try and understand that the logistics of delivery is beyond the blinking of the eye.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by xclusive43(m): 1:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
Because it is nigeria of course
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Afam4eva(m): 1:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
They must have weighed the possibility of delivering in 24 hours and probably don't think it's that plausible hence they chose to deliver in 5 days. I think it's better they tell you the truth as it is and c=you choose whether or not you wanna wait for 5 days than telling you a lie that they can't meet up with.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Shinor(m): 1:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
naijacutee: Ecommerce is still quite new in Nigeria, & is experiencing lots of challenges. However their failings present opportunities for competitors to enter the market and thrive. At least, if you decide to set up yours, you know key areas where you can make changes to improve customer experience.

NEXT has raised the bar. Order from NEXT before 10pm and get the items delivered the next day. You can even specify when you want it. That is a 24 hour turn around. But we have to take into considerations the environment in Nigeria. I guess Jumia will get there someday soon. I worked for one of the pioneer online retailers serving Nigeria and Ghana which sadly is rested now. What we have today is a slight improvement on what we did then. So things will surely get better

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by ifyalways(f): 1:54pm On Oct 26, 2013
I prefer Konga!

I understand both are managed by same ppl but it seems the staff at Konga are well paid or I'm just being lucky(I got next day delivery, thrice).

In regards your query,I think it depends on your location and order. VI lagos might get same day delivery probably because of bulk orders hence delivery than Iju ishaga Lagos. Also what you are buying is a factor,they might have to get it deep inside the warehouse, package then transport logistics.(Bad road network, traffic)

Use the malls if you want it super fast.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by 2good(m): 1:55pm On Oct 26, 2013

Please Share Experience.

I shop with Amazon in the US and Europe all the time and the earliest delivery time I have received my order is 3 days with 4-5 days being the norm. The online company most time will have to work on a first come first serve basis and also sort what item you need to buy from a registered vendor which could be outside your state of residence first before starting processing of your order. I know that 5 days is much but if an order from a vendor in Atlanta Georgia will take me 3 days to receive in the state of Georgia, then I don't think it is very strange for a Nigerian online shop to use 5 days within Lagos even though I think they can improve.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by damola1: 1:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
they try
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by stevecantrell: 2:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
RockMaxi: Don't be silly OP try and understand that the logistics of delivery is beyond the blinking of the eye.

Yeah, just becos u see a product on their site doesn't mean they have it in the warehouse they may have to get it from one of their 'partners' before forwarding to you. That would take a while.

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by daylae(m): 2:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
the issue of logistics could be, even within the same city you would say. probably they don't have enough manpower and machines especially is the area of transportation to meet numerous customer demands at a go.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by israel007: 2:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
Because they have to ggo and order from somewhere. Not that they have all items in their warehouse as they make us believe

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 2:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
taiocol:

I see the point either missed you or you missed it!
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 2:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
The fact that same day delivery is the only thing the op could think of when looking for what to criticize about the company, shows they must have an impressive level of service.

Even overseas, very few companies (if any) have such.

Is jumia selling food? What are they delivering, is it eba or vegetable stew or something.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
Same day delivery isn't possible because of large orders, they will need to sort out your item and process the order and delivery location. So its going to take some time. I have order items from jumia and I was told within 5 days and I got it in 3 days time. I think its pretty cool. If you need something very urgent same day delivery then I will advise you go the shopping mall/store to get it.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by bookface: 2:21pm On Oct 26, 2013

Please Share Experience.

If this is an option available to you, then why subscribe to a delivery service?

I bought an item on ebay last saturday - i live in the UK - and only got it on Thursday!!

If they really choose to offer a same day service - are you really willing to pay for it?

I'm disgusted to see people moan for just the sake of it.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ralphlauren: Lol. Even the biggest stores in Europe do not offer same day delivery.

A good example is amazon. They've got a vast delivery network with big warehouses across various geo-zones with staff working round the clock. Yet they do not offer same day delivery.

The best you can get is next day delivery and that is subject to placing your order before a certain cut off time.

They do!!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by coopalajo: 2:27pm On Oct 26, 2013
And why can't jumia do better than amazon why do Nigerians always like to be second class. If they can't do better let them do the same.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Five Creative Ways You Can Make Money Online / Bashir Ahmad Commends The Time Magazine For Recognizing Bola Tinubu / Share Your Annoying Market Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.