Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,411 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? (15020 Views)

Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? / Outsourcing Business In Nigeria: Why Can't It Work? / Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
faithin9ja:

The answer is simple; Stock levels amd logistics.
Jumia and Konga have spent millions of dollars starting their businesses in Nigeria and obviously already know the best practices from other online retailers around the world - do the posters here feel Jumia, Konga and other online retailers in Nigeria have not heard of Amazon, eBay, shopto, BesyBuy, etc. They have studied them and know all the pitfalls.

In order to reduce cost and wastage, both Jumia & konga cannot keep all they advertise online in stock. When you place an order, they order from their suppliers (some suppliers are in Nigeria, some outside Nigeria) then they delver to you, hence the need to give up to 5 days fro delivery.

One of my businesses actually supplies Jumia and Jumia staff sometimes come to our offices 4 times day to pick single items for onward delivery to their customer that ordered the particular item.

By the way the other arm of my business also has our e-commerce business in direct competition with Jumia and Konga, so I should not be sticking up for them but the truth is the truth; businesses in Nigeria are trying and giving our environment and limited current online market size, you cannot expect the same standards from the likes of Amazon.

For instance Amazon, Tesco and other big retailers have million-dollar software that accurately predict demand of any particular product and any particular time, they even use the weather in their predictions. (Oyibo juju strong oh!).

So, yes Jumia, konga, etc would love to give same day or next day delivery, but are limited by their stock as well as logistics. by the way my website does same day/ next day delivery for items in stock. Same day in Lagos, next day outside Lagos.

You are probably right, and is this Prag/buyright
cos i was at buyright office recently and i saw a dude with a jumia vest come pick something up
buyright also maintains a website that competes like u said
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Sissie(f): 8:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
Jumia does not have all its products in stock and as such can't deliver the same day or next, konga usually have its product in stock thats why they deliver faster.

However you can shop at www.mumtaz-bags.com we deliver within 24 hours and you can pay on delivery within Abuja. it takes 2-4 days to deliver goods outside Abuja and payment on delivery isn't available
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by shewantsme: 8:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
dani1luv: I can never buy any gadgets online. .am I mad?

When I can easily go to a slot in Ikeja. .

I only use Jumia or Konga to check prices of stuffs and all, so I wont be cheated out there

This is a real nigg.a.

In Drake's voice, Real nigg.a what's up.
Just check the price and go to a real store. That's what I do with the last TV bought here.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 8:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
well, i did a quick check- jumia has the 39 clues series (though i didnt see the latest book), while i didnt find those on konga.

from the pov of a book reader.

also, someone in literature section was pointing out the fact that there didnt seem to be metal bookcases available in lagos (and possibly nigeria), are there any on jumia or konga?

in the education section of jumia, i saw a lot of material for foreign exams [sat, gre, toefl, etc], but very little on waec, jamb, gce, etc, did i not look properly or something?
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by abhosts(m): 8:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
The best option with Nigerian Online Shops is the Pickup Point delivery method. You see and examine what you ordered at their drop-off centre before paying.

Home delivery orders without upfront payment are not honoured if you live in areas considered volatile. That Service is reserved for those who reside in upscale neighborhoods.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Godson201333(m): 10:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
Offering same day delivery is Hard even in the Usa,Huh anytime i ordered on Amazon the fatest is Next day...I had an experience back home in Nigeria with Jumia and i got the orders 3 days.Due to traffic and okada bound in Lagos..How is same day gonna work?

Please let us give kudos to this company
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Ralphlauren(m): 10:43pm On Oct 26, 2013
Soyedele1:

They do!!

Prove it !!!
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Jeffex(m): 11:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
Imagine your computer, smart phone or any other internet device pays YOU simply for using it. Imagine a business where you have nothing to buy, nothing to sell and there is no job to do. for more info visit this thread link https://www.nairaland.com/1351349/imagine-mobile-phone-smart-phone
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Paentera(m): 11:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva: They must have weighed the possibility of delivering in 24 hours and probably don't think it's that plausible hence they chose to deliver in 5 days. I think it's better they tell you the truth as it is and c=you choose whether or not you wanna wait for 5 days than telling you a lie that they can't meet up with.

Consider this - it costs N4k for 360delivery to pick and deliver an item from Ikeja to Ikorodu same day. How many Nigerians will settle for such an option? I'm certain not many. Asides the fact that when the delivery man gets to their delivery address, they'll either not be home, not have money to pay for the order or their contact phones are not being picked or is switched off.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by fixmykey(m): 7:17am On Oct 27, 2013
Bros, pls try www.smartbuy.com I bought a bold 5 last year from them and I got it same day.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Originalsly: 8:45am On Oct 27, 2013
Welcome to the real world. I think you spend way too much time online and now believe everything is done with a click of a mouse....including locating, packing and delivering your order. Do you think an online store is like a little store in the mall with the listed items sitting on a shelf? Even Amazon that is so sophisticated and automated in processing orders do not have a next day service since at the end delivery is done by the Postal Service, Fedex and UPS...which are very efficient and all run 24/7 every day if the year. You need something in that of a hurry what is wrong going get it yourself?
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Femistico(m): 9:17am On Oct 27, 2013
guyz can I order gadgets in jumia out of lagos and pay on delivery? precisely in ondo state..
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by scofield33(m): 10:20am On Oct 27, 2013
Both jumia and konga face the same kindof of issue; they have tones of orders coming to thier desk on a daily basis and besidez they deal with alot items which they don't normally have in stock.so they have to go and get it from there partners. There is no how they will be able to meet with the supply, but i know eventually they will improve.

However www. that deal with just one product (mobile phones and tablets) are always on point. Their delivery in lagos takes less than 4 hours in lagos & Abuja and is FREE! 24hours to other states. they even have pay on delivery in virtually all the states in nigeria.

Give them a try,u will understand what i'm talking about.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Harpesin(m): 2:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
That's a good opportunity for others e.g Konga to work on and ensure they offer daily delivery....if only they are wise enof.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tboy1(m): 3:55pm On Oct 27, 2013
touchmeder: Even Amazon UK will not do it unless you choose the quicker option and pay more. Regular time is 3-5 working days.
Ebay is another thing. Try buying from Asia/ Hong Kong or China it can take up to a month. The beautiful thing about these people especially Ebay is the ''money back guarantee''. I hope these online retailers in Nigeria will get there someday.

Buying things and having them cancelled due to ''out of stock'' problem is not unheard of even abroad. Its quite annoying but its worse when they refuse to refund the money and try to give you a similar item or put the money towards your next purchase (Naija style). Very sneaky and stupid i must say lipsrsealed
Amazon UK offer same day delivery option on some items. They charge you more but the option is there
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 5:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
these nlers, one will think they're just typing randomly, but they actually know what they're doing sometimes, they've done a behind the scenes swot analysis before they post. They'll even use bad english to make it seem like they're semi literate and innocently posting. Creepy much.

see now:

Amazon moves towards same-day deliveries

October 2, 2013

http://internetretailing.net/2013/10/how-amazon-is-heading-towards-same-day-deliveries/

Google moves into Amazon territory with trial of same-day deliveries
06 Mar 2013

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9913140/Google-moves-into-Amazon-territory-with-trial-of-same-day-deliveries.html
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by LeStylo: 2:37am On Oct 28, 2013
The disssing metted on the OP is really quite unfair. I believe he's got a right to air his opinion on service quality. We did that very too often with telecom operators. Konga has consistently made the 24hr delivery mark within Lagos. Isn't a 5-day delivery mark from Jumia too much of a contrast?! It took Jumia 2-weeks to deliver a product to a friend in Minna, Konga spent just 72hrs to effect same delivery.

Femke of the "Femke turns Funke"column - that German turned Nigerian - did puts it succintly when she said hugging mediocrity is a greater challenge to the Nigerian society than any other thing. Just because a Fashola bothered to repair Ozumba road at all gives him the clout to keep working on a 700m stretch of road for 2 whooping years; absolutely unpertubed about the pains and strains tax payers routinely go through on that stretch of road! Our pursuit of excellence will greatly reduce the impunity with which we get served. Afterall "customers" are kings, they say!

My opinion!
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by omoharry(f): 1:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
I think Jumia need to step up their game. They cant continue to deliver product that are substandard at outrageous prices.Pls be careful when buying clothing and shoes from them.The only item i can vouch for is thier cosmetics.I couldn't use any of the clothing and shoes i got.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by sonety2k(m): 4:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
cool
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by omoharry(f): 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2013
Godson201333: Offering same day delivery is Hard even in the Usa,Huh anytime i ordered on Amazon the fatest is Next day...I had an experience back home in Nigeria with Jumia and i got the orders 3 days.Due to traffic and okada bound in Lagos..How is same day gonna work?

Please let us give kudos to this company
kudos for thier Substandard product.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by olutsen: 3:20pm On Oct 29, 2014
See una life, the guy wey start post say him no spoil person biz but just personally not comfortable with 5 days stuff and gbam! fast forward to 2014, dem don dey do same day delivery.

All of una wey dish d guy i expect make una cover ur face. If it isnt possible in UK or USA, does dat mean it sudn't b possible in Nigeria?

U 2nd class citizens, always contented with the status quo. Dem even ask shey him go pay express delivery? People dey pay the N750 for express delivery.

Wat makes USA or UK tick today is based on the crop of professional Nigerians sweating deir brains out for dem, if dis people come home, dont u tink 9ja go pass dem level with dem UK, USA.

Moreover, Jumia doesnt use the UK USA model, dey use middle east business model and dat is y d home of comfort is in the middle east. Visit and experience!
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by abbadon: 4:30pm On Oct 29, 2014
I work in an e-commerce company, and I would say that you shouldn't put all the blame on Konga and Jumia, as it's no easy task to deliver products in lagos due to high traffic congestion that we face every day, most of our deliveries are made with buses, however, the story is different for bikes as they can move around faster in traffic and there should be no excuse why your package is not delivered on time.
You guys should give us a try Yakora Nigeria www.yakora.ng, we do same day delivery if you place your order before 11:00 AM and we always deliver within the time frame specified, which is 1-3 days, unless told otherwise by phone or e-mail.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bashir Ahmad Commends The Time Magazine For Recognizing Bola Tinubu / LAWMA Seals Alaba Rago Market. / Seven Ways To Make Customers Feel Valued.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.