Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? (14453 Views)

Nigeria's Dangerous Skin Whitening Obsession As Reported By Aljazeera (Pictures) / Greece, Philosophy, And The Afrocentric Obsession With Ancient Egypt / The Obsession With Ethiopians And Somalis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 23, 2013
Topics on skin tones run up to 22 pages while literature topics run up to 5 pages.
Everyday, it's light-skinned this, dark-skinned that, black beauty this, caramel that, bleaching this, toning that..... angry

Can someone help me understand why it's so important to be defined by a particular skin tone?

People get into debates and next thing you see is "I'm dark and proud", "we're light-skinned in our family", "wish my wife/hubby will be as dark as....", "our community is known for being naturally fair"....blah, blah, blah. Is it really that important what skin tone someone is?

We all have our preferences and affinities towards particular skin tones, but it makes me wonder whether skin colour/tone is the only thing someone has to offer. C'mon! angry

Unless you actually have nothing else going on for you, you cannot seriously tell me that it's your skin tone you're banking on to get you a date, a job, a friend, a promotion, a business deal or a spouse. Oh, wait a minute....you actually think it is, right?

I think we really need to get over this issue. IT'S BORING....as boring as Vasco da Gama Pillar. angry

If you're dark, get over it. It's not an achievement. You'll not get a medal. angry
If you are fair, get over it. You're not special, neither are you rare. angry

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 23, 2013
What's a black man to do?
The more we look like the white man the more complete we feel...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by MrsChima(f): 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
Colorism obsession.

I have noticed Africans who live in other countries or have been exposed to racism discrimination are venting the most.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
#TeamBlueSkin.

I love Smurfette.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
kwangi: What's a black man to do?
The black man/woman can begin by having other priorities in life such as pursuing academic excellence, business excellence, excellence in governance, intelligence, innovation, developing responsibility, family values, involvement in philanthropy etc, rather than obsessing about which skin tone is "better", which is "more beautiful", which is "more superior", which is "more African" and such crap.

kwangi: The more we look like the white man the more complete we feel...
Poor white man. He has successfully been dragged into this issue as usual. Lmao!! grin
The "dreaded" white man will actually have a field day when he knows that all we do is obsess about petty issues such as skin shades while not giving a damn about other issues which are of importance. We laugh about our corrupt politicians who loot our taxes, but go into bi-tch fits when random people say they don't find Africans attractive (women are more guilty of this, unfortunately).

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Colorism obsession.
I have noticed Africans who live in other countries or have been exposed to racism discrimination are venting the most.

Actually Chima, I think it's worse in "Mama Africa".
I see Africans who've never been exposed to other colours/races carrying this issue like a burden.
See how they carry dis matter for head..LOL..(don't know if it came out right...LOL).

Is colour that important to some people anyway?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
Good Girl:

Actually Chima, I think it's worse in "Mama Africa".
I see Africans who've never been exposed to other colours/races carrying this issue like a burden.
See how they carry dis matter for head..LOL..(don't know if it came out right...LOL).

Is colour that important to some people anyway?
Even when you actively try to avoid discourse on the topic, it manifests itself in other forms. It is sad to be wasting so much time on the topic of colour, but it is educational to be privy to its content and journey.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
Flytefalls:
Even when you actively try to avoid discourse on the topic, it manifests itself in other forms. It is sad to be wasting so much time on the topic of colour, but it is educational to be privy to its content and journey.

Lol.
This is just me thinking aloud...
Our variations as black people come mostly in our skin color. We have black, brown, Caramel, yellow, lol. White people's variation come in hair or eye color. For hair there's blonde, brunette, red hair. The blonde takes a special precedence over the rest. It is not rare to see a brunette dying her hair blonde.
For black people it's the skin not hair that give insecure people sleepless nights. Unfortunately we have a lot of these people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
stillwater:
For black people it's the skin not hair that give insecure people sleepless nights. Unfortunately we have a lot of these people.
It seems to be more prevalent in some parts of Africa. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Flytefalls:
Even when you actively try to avoid discourse on the topic, it manifests itself in other forms.
True! angry
Create any new topic, accompany it with a pic and see what follows.

Yep, your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 12:10am On Oct 24, 2013
People are too obsessed with what is regarded as beauty and what isn't
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Oildichotomy(m): 3:55am On Oct 24, 2013
Obsession'' with skin tones or whatever that means is being human.

People get 'passionate' (which i believe is the right word) about different things talk more of something that concerns their bodies.
Get over it, cos no matter how hard you preach, people must talk about their bodies and trust me '' skin colour'' is definitely a big part of our very essence as Africans.

BTW, It has always been a best way of adjectival human description.
Why the fuss?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Fulaman198(m): 4:55am On Oct 24, 2013
Not every NL cares about skin tone. To me, black is black

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 24, 2013
chewing_gum_gal: Nairalanders People are too obsessed with what is regarded as beauty and what isn't
Reason?

Okay, after they've established that they are regarded as beautiful/ugly, and then what?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 24, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Obsession'' with skin tones or whatever that means is being human.
Are Nairalanders more human than other people?
I'm a member of other online forums as well and I am yet to see the kind of obsession people have over other people's skin tones like I do here.

I feel it's a bit too much with Nigerians Nairalanders. It's just an observation.

Oildichotomy^:
Why the fuss?
Just wondering why so much importance is attached to it. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 24, 2013
Fulaman198: Not every NL cares about skin tone. To me, black is black
You wouldn't care much about skin tone Fulaman when you have feet to worry about. tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Fulaman198(m): 9:07am On Oct 24, 2013
Good Girl:
You wouldn't care much about skin tone Fulaman when you have feet to worry about. tongue

Keep in mind that they have to be good looking feet and toes. I don't believe and have never believed that beauty has anything to do with skin colour/tone.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by laykhorn(m): 9:47pm On Nov 16, 2014
GoodGirl2:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
you got mail
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 17, 2014
GoodGirl2:
Topics on skin tones run up to 22 pages while literature topics run up to 5 pages.
Everyday, it's light-skinned this, dark-skinned that, black beauty this, caramel that, bleaching this, toning that..... angry

Can someone help me understand why it's so important to be defined by a particular skin tone?

People get into debates and next thing you see is "I'm dark and proud", "we're light-skinned in our family", "wish my wife/hubby will be as dark as....", "our community is known for being naturally fair"....blah, blah, blah. Is it really that important what skin tone someone is?

We all have our preferences and affinities towards particular skin tones, but it makes me wonder whether skin colour/tone is the only thing someone has to offer. C'mon! angry

Unless you actually have nothing else going on for you, you cannot seriously tell me that it's your skin tone you're banking on to get you a date, a job, a friend, a promotion, a business deal or a spouse. Oh, wait a minute....you actually think it is, right?

I think we really need to get over this issue. IT'S BORING....as boring as Vasco da Gama Pillar. angry

If you're dark, get over it. It's not an achievement. You'll not get a medal. angry
If you are fair, get over it. You're not special, neither are you rare. angry
Nice and simple.. This "Dark and proud" shit has gone on too long.. It has to stop, its really annoying..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
I think it's just inferiority complex, we're all beautiful in our different skin tones.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Mutendiwashe(f): 1:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
I have noticed that most of the men who are obssessed with skintone are actually dark skinned men. Sometimes i believe it comes with insecurity, everyone wants to make "beautiful offsprings" and many believe that the only way they can do so is by making them lighter.

If you come across light skinned men they never make a fuss about it, they usually are not insecure about their looks hence they never obssess over skintone.

A good example would be the comedians like AY and SeyiLaw look at their skintones and you will understand why they over-emphasise on skintone and bleaching jokes, its a way of hiding behind their insecurities as being extremely dark men who are not facially blessed either.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Fulaman198(m): 6:49pm On Dec 01, 2014
Mutendiwashe:
I have noticed that most of the men who are obssessed with skintone are actually dark skinned men. Sometimes i believe it comes with insecurity, everyone wants to make "beautiful offsprings" and many believe that the only way they can do so is by making them lighter.

If you come across light skinned men they never make a fuss about it, they usually are not insecure about their looks hence they never obssess over skintone.

A good example would be the comedians like AY and SeyiLaw look at their skintones and you will understand why they over-emphasise on skintone and bleaching jokes, its a way of hiding behind their insecurities as being extremely dark men who are not facially blessed either.

To a certain extent I agree with you. However, some people also want someone who looks like them as well. it really varies from individual to individual. It's possible (I'm not saying it is fact without any solid scientific evidence) that dark complexioned guys do prefer lighter skinned girls due to having some sort of insecurity.

Beauty is beauty, plain and simple. I wish more and more people recognised that. It has absolutely nothing to do with ones skin tone/complexion.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by dreydee(m): 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2014
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by lonelydora: 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2014
How
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 01, 2014
Well I actually haven't noticed this and I have been using Nairaland since 2012.
I guess it's a matter of where your interest lies.
I'm always at sections where I can help mentally and where I can be helped mentally and financially too.
Once you see such topic just ignore it and don't think about it too much such that you have to create a topic for it.

Well I know MrCork is always saying something like he likes light skinned girls. I see it and I just feel like well that's his priority right now.
So people, what did you achieve today? The first day in December.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Marvyx(m): 9:39pm On Dec 01, 2014
Yeah you're right. Insecurity at its peak.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Vivly(f): 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
If only such obsession would be channeled to finding cure for HIV

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by eleko1: 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
cool
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by chibwike(m): 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
NairaMode:
Mr Cork.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Bonapart(m): 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
Am dark nt black. Guess what

am so proud of it..... I gat knowledge too
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
Op direct your questions to president and vice president of light skin lovers Mrcork and Airforce1
Modified: more than one year thread making front page hehehehe all hope are not lost I believe my 2010 thread will make front page one day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Offensive Proverbs / Learning African Languages / How Emir Sanusi Squandered N3.4b, By Kano Anti-graft Agency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.