Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,594 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN (39168 Views)

Change: World Now Listens When Nigeria Speaks (Photo) / Caption This Photo, World Now Listen When Nigeria Speaks (CHANGE) ??? / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by PBundles(m): 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
It has been rumored. There is a retired colonel acquaintance of our family and he insinuated it stating that it was not really hidden and that there were certainly homosexuals in the Army

sbaks: this will be like the second time i will be learning about this. Pls is this story true as in ibb gay? he looks gay sha :-/ pls @pbundles reply. Thanks
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ravgach: 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2013
Flygeriansteve: Hate the 'sin' not the sinner.
PS: Om the flip side, funny even America must have had this cross section of homophobic views in the 1800s. Time will tell.

I agree with you 100%! Hating the sin also is making sure the sinner does not have a conducive environment to commit the sin. It is just like make drugs unavailable so drug addicts do not kill themselves.

If someone is gay, he needs a lot of help and support from loving people around. He need to be helped to be free. We pray for them but we also help them not to commit the crime by preventing them from committing it.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by manny4life(m): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
01mcfadden:
He was comparing Nigeria with South Africa and not U.S.A and your thinking that America is greater than Russia because of their acceptance for homosexuality is more than being dumb and foolish!

It's asinine and more so ridiculous to even compare SA and Russia on both economic term, besides,what else is Russia greater than America in other than their nuclear weapons?

The U.S. did not achieve its feat because of "acceptance of homosexuality", however, the U.S. built it's foundation on equal opportunity and justice for all. Whether racism (race) or homosexuality (sexuality) which are protected class, I'm not fighting for U.S. interest, but to some extent, one won't deny that there were protection laws put in place to prevent these types of hate, an uncommon trait in Nigeria.

The issue of homosexuality did not originate today, his comparison is strictly on the value added. I believe his post stated what economic value or does such law have on the nation i.e. comparing both African countries, so please, compare nations alike.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by manny4life(m): 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
ravgach:

America is worse for allowing gay lifestyle to flourish! When they were straight, they prospered more than now that they have an Obama with all his negative policies including gay.

An abomination is an abomination no matter how it is polished!

My friend, please stick to the topic you know. America isn't flourishing not because of your hypothetical theories, but simply, they deviated from their core founding principles. From immigration, wage laws, consumer protection policies which affects unemployment to fiscal, economic and foreign agendas, these are the negatives affecting the U.S. and not some cooked up bs. Please if you want to argue this, look for someone else, but I will set the record straight if I have to.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by otiigba1(m): 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
mickyarams:

Nice points darling, just reading the comments on this thread makes me think you are hitting your head against a brick wall. Too many ignorance on display here, and you wonder why the country is screwed up.
makes a lot of sense,and also like some body metioned on here, nigerian goverment will bow anyway once their looted money in swiss bank is threatened

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Vanityupnvanity(m): 7:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 7:32pm On Oct 23, 2013
Miss EZ: Nigeria has far bigger problems than gay marriage. Insecurity, poverty, education, employment, corruption should be the major cause of concern and not gay marriage. One thing the Nigerian government is good at is distracting people from the main issues. I have noticed Nigerians love to be distracted as long as they can blame someone or something for their woes.

I am NOT in support of a homosexual lifestyle, however, the gay bill is very stupid and a violation of the human rights of the people. It is not the governments business who a person sleeps with as long as it does not involve sexual abuse, rape or pedophilia. Everyone has that right to privacy. To give homosexuals 14 year imprisonment term as against Boko Haram who often gets 3-5 years is really daft and stupid. Misplaced priorities all around. God will help this country.

Nigerian Government should focus on more pressing issues such as corruption, insecurity, education, infrastructural development, healthcare, etc. Once those things are settled, we can begin to worry about homosexuals.

I am sure as useless as our government is, homosexual marriage is not the main issue on their plate or what they want to focus on.

It is just that the Western world have decided it should be one of the No 1 global issues, they want to keep it at the forefront of all discussions and whip up a movement to support it, hence leaving governments without options and forcing governments like Nigeria's to address it.

The West control the press and the issues discussed occur through this medium.

30 years ago, Nigerian government did not give a shyt about homosexuals.

20 years ago, Nigerian government did not give a shyt about homosexuals.

10 years ago, Nigerian government did not give a shyt about homosexuals.

What do you think changed?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 7:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
dahfweshdude69: jeez...dis world is in shambles...d present generation can say no but Wat about d upcoming generations...am 17 and I have dis friend who thinks homosexuality should b allowed... he has so many homo pals...now imagine if. Dat pal finds himself in power...we dey battle boko... ASUU never call of strike...now homo peeps are bringing dere own trouble... only GOD can save us....

Your friend is an impressionable fooool who is just trying to join the "funky train" so he looks cool.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ojinuocheibi(m): 7:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
ariseandshine:

Shame on you!
that man must be gay/homo, truely shame on him.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 7:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
ravgach:

Yes o! There are lots and lots on our hands but we will not in any guise worsen it by allowing gay marriage or gay whatever in Nigeria. It will be like jumping from frying pan to fire.

Do not think that because Countries like the US make it possible for homosexuals to get married, that they are not homophobic. Gay people get bullied and harassed in the US on a daily basis, however, the law makes it possible for gay people to defend themselves and file assault charges where necessary.

I do not have to support someones lifestyle to respect it. I do not believe in polygamy, it doesnt mean that i will disrespect someone who does. Let us learn to differentiate sentiments from the law. The way i see it, it is the same a persecuting someone for their religious beliefs. People should be free to associate with whomever they please, just as long as they are not infringing on the rights of anyone else. I think terrorists such as boko haram should be feared more than homosexuals. Like i said earlier, once we have dealt with more pressing issues, the issue of homosexuals can be revisited. For now, it is inconsequential to the economic development of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by otiigba1(m): 7:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
he who is more Righteous should cast the first stone,and why are some people calling people they ve never met or know Gay on here? just for having an opinion, how do they know they are Gay? unless.....? because it takes one to know one
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

I am sure as useless as our government is, homosexual marriage is not the main issue on their plate or what they want to focus on.

It is just that the Western world have decided it should be one of the No 1 global issues, they want to keep it at the forefront of all discussions and whip up a movement to support it, hence leaving governments without options and forcing governments like Nigeria's to address it.

The West control the press and the issues discussed occur through this medium.

30 years ago, Nigerian government did not give a shyt about homosexuals.

20 years ago, Nigerian government did not give a shyt about homosexuals.

10 years ago, Nigerian government did not give a shyt about homosexuals.

What do you think changed?

No one is saying they cannot address it. I understand your point about it being positioned as a global issue, but was it really necessary to institute a law? All Nigerians are aware of where we stand on the issue of homosexuality as a country. The law in my opinion is wrong in this case because it violates the rights of people. Its just over kill for no reason IMHO.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 7:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
masonkz: The fact remains that we will keep being around, and like I said, it's only a matter of time. So the sooner the stop all these their not-part-of -our-culture brouhaha, the better for them.

A matter of time?

I hope you realise time is long?

Christians are still waiting for the return of Jesus and I personally think they would still be waiting in another 1 billion years.

So don't expect any stopping 'soon'.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ravgach: 7:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
manny4life:

My friend, please stick to the topic you know. America isn't flourishing not because of your hypothetical theories, but simply, they deviated from their core founding principles. From immigration, wage laws, consumer protection policies which affects unemployment to fiscal, economic and foreign agendas, these are the negatives affecting the U.S. and not some cooked up bs. Please if you want to argue this, look for someone else, but I will set the record straight if I have to.

The deviation is a symptom of the disease eating them up - licentiousness, freedom without control, homosexuality! Gay lifestyle is actually going to take over America and will lead to their eventual collapse and breakup like the former soviet union. It will be some parts of the country that will recover themselves much, much later.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 7:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
Miss EZ:

No one is saying they cannot address it. I understand your point about it being positioned as a global issue, but was it really necessary to institute a law? All Nigerians are aware of where we stand on the issue of homosexuality as a country. The law in my opinion is wrong in this case because it violates the rights of people. Its just over kill for no reason IMHO.

It is very necessary to make a law.

It is very necessary to make a definitive statement of opposition when your opponents are on the ascendancy and succeeding with their attacking tactics.

https://www.nairaland.com/1489287/nigerians-against-same-sex-marriage/2#19035809

You don't fight when you have lost.

How does it violate people's rights?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
manny4life:

It's asinine and more so ridiculous to even compare SA and Russia on both economic term, besides,what else is Russia greater than America in other than their nuclear weapons?

The U.S. did not achieve its feat because of "acceptance of homosexuality", however, the U.S. built it's foundation on equal opportunity and justice for all. Whether racism (race) or homosexuality (sexuality) which are protected class, I'm not fighting for U.S. interest, but to some extent, one won't deny that there were protection laws put in place to prevent these types of hate, an uncommon trait in Nigeria.

The issue of homosexuality did not originate today, his comparison is strictly on the value added. I believe his post stated what economic value or does such law have on the nation i.e. comparing both African countries, so please, compare nations alike.

Nigeria and any nation can build a foundation based on equal opportunity and justice for all without accepting homosexuality.

Accepting homosexuality is not the alpha-metric of measuring equal opportunity and justice for all.

I don't see what point is being made with this silly assertion.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 23, 2013
manny4life:

LMAO!! Yes manny!! Yes!!!
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ravgach: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2013
Miss EZ:

Do not think that because Countries like the US make it possible for homosexuals to get married, that they are not homophobic. Gay people get bullied and harassed in the US on a daily basis, however, the law makes it possible for gay people to defend themselves and file assault charges where necessary.

I do not have to support someones lifestyle to respect it. I do not believe in polygamy, it doesnt mean that i will disrespect someone who does. Let us learn to differentiate sentiments from the law. The way i see it, it is the same a persecuting someone for their religious beliefs. People should be free to associate with whomever they please, just as long as they are not infringing on the rights of anyone else. I think terrorists such as boko haram should be feared more than homosexuals. Like i said earlier, once we have dealt with more pressing issues, the issue of homosexuals can be revisited. For now, it is inconsequential to the economic development of the country.

That is the challenge! equating this stinking evil with religious beliefs and normal marriage between a man and woman/women. The difference is that between the heaven and the earth. Being gay is actually very, very serious issue, an issue that made God to close down two known countries forever! I wish the world would understand the seriousness of the danger we face by this kind of lifestyle.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
ravgach:

That is the challenge! equating this stinking evil with religious beliefs and normal marriage between a man and woman/women. The difference is that between the heaven and the earth. Being gay is actually very, very serious issue, an issue that made God to close down two known countries forever! I wish the world would understand the seriousness of the danger we face by this kind of lifestyle.

Which countries did God close down? undecided

You want to use your useless fairytales for arguments?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by otiigba1(m): 8:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
if nigerians call them selves Religious, why dont we get hold of all the gay people pray for them to be healed?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
oti-igba:
if nigerians call them selves Religious, why dont we get hold of all the gay people pray for them to healed?

Religious does not equate to miracle!
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ravgach: 8:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

Which countries did God close down? undecided

You want to use your useless fairytales for arguments?

Gay lifestyle is synonymous with atheism. If you call the record of the Bible fairytales, I will not quarrel with you because people bigger, better, richer and more powerful than you have gone this way without any headway. Many of them have died miserable, shameful deaths.
Scientists have confirmed there is actually Sodom and Gomorrah. That is where the word Sodomy comes from. You cannot rewrite history with your lack of knowledge.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by manny4life(m): 8:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

Nigeria and any nation can build a foundation based on equal opportunity and justice for all without accepting homosexuality.

Accepting homosexuality is the alpha-metric of measuring equal opportunity and justice for all.

I don't see what point is being made with this silly assertion.

So please, define how you mean by "EQUAL OPPORTUNITY"?

No one is asking Nigerian govt to accept it, at the very least they recognize it, but the contention is Nigeria's position on the issue including stiff penalty of law (14years) is absurd. You don't have to accept what I do in private, it doesn't affect you, however, when you so-called policies is designed to inflict pain on me, what do you call that? Equal opportunity right? Nice... I guess you understood my silly assertion.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ravgach: 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
oti-igba:
if nigerians call them selves Religious, why dont we get hold of all the gay people pray for them to healed?

They do not need healing in the sense you mean. They actually need sincere repentance and a return to God!
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
manny4life:

So please, define how you mean by "EQUAL OPPORTUNITY"?

No one is asking Nigerian govt to accept it, at the very least they recognize it, but the contention is Nigeria's position on the issue including stiff penalty of law (14years) is absurd. You don't have to accept what I do in private, it doesn't affect you, however, when you so-called policies is designed to inflict pain on me, what do you call that? Equal opportunity right? Nice... I guess you understood my silly assertion.

Equal opportunity is what it says in the dictionary.

Why should they recognise it?

What makes the stiff penalty absurd? Would you have preferred 2 years? Or 5 years or what?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by otiigba1(m): 8:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

Religious does not equate to miracle!
is that right? were then do miracles come from?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
oti-igba:
is that right? were then do miracles come from?

From magicians and movies.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

A matter of time?

I hope you realise time is long?

Christians are still waiting for the return of Jesus and I personally think they would still be waiting in another 1 billion years.

So don't expect any stopping 'soon'.

Lol. As funny as it sounds, the acceptance of gay people in Nigeria is more realistic than the coming of the Christians' Messiah.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
ravgach:
Gay lifestyle is synonymous with atheism. If you call the record of the Bible fairytales, I will not quarrel with you because people bigger, better, richer and more powerful than you have gone this way without any headway. Many of them have died miserable, shameful deaths.
Scientists have confirmed there is actually Sodom and Gomorrah. That is where the word Sodomy comes from. You cannot rewrite history with your lack of knowledge.

Show me the confirmation by scientists of Sodom and Gomorrah.

The bible is a book of fairytales written by illiterates claiming they know God.

What headway are you making with your bible?

Your pastor is living lavishly and has a private jet is your headway?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by otiigba1(m): 8:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
ravgach:

They do not need healing in the sense you mean. They actually need sincere repentance and a return to God!
how can they do that if they are been cast away? what do think jesus christ would have done to gay people? put them in jail?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
masonkz:

Lol. As funny as it sounds, the acceptance of gay people in Nigeria is more realistic than the coming of the Christian' Messiah.

True that!

But acceptance of homosexuals would not happen in Nigeria in our lifetime.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ravgach: 8:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
masonkz:

Lol. As funny as it sounds, the acceptance of gay people in Nigeria is more realistic than the coming of the Christian' Messiah.

Anywhere gay is being welcome, there will always usually be God-basing!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? / We Need To See Photos Of Peter Obi Commissioning Projects Between 2006 To 2014. / Breaking Atiku Abubakar Arrived Sokoto To Pay Condolence Visit To Shagari Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.