Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,444 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? (23572 Views)

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? / For Those That Appreciate Quality Videos This Is The Very Video For Your Taste. / The Nigerian Girls In Music Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Victosin09(f): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
This might just be a good researchable topic amongst psychologists!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by bknight: 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Contents/depth of the song/artist might be a stronger consideration against other things.

I mean, compare ppl who like Mode-9 to ppl who like Olamide. Although there no data from any research whatsoever but I'm tempted to believe Mode-9 fans might record higher IQs.

Maybe, obviously, depth attracts depth. undecided

3 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Afokesco(m): 5:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
Wetin concern me..bar man abeg give me 2 bottles of gulder.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Sagamite(m): 5:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi: A good friend of mine loves listening to songs by Terry G while another is into rock. Guess which one is writing JAMB for the 4th time?
I found an article which said that students who loved listening to Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj performed lower in IQ tests. Does our musical preference correlate with intelligence?

It might correlate, but definitely is not causal or proof of level of intelligence.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by PBundles(m): 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
It says nothing and if anything the study is flawed as its based on cultural background and not actual IQ. Those that listen to Rap/hip hop are more affiliated with those that they see as being similar to (ie the rap stars) and who talk about their live experiences. Chances are that they are from less privileged environments, but having said that their scope of other music may be limited. Those in affluent environments who ALSO listen to rap/hip hop are opened to other forms as well. Thats the only difference. If the type of music defined yr IQ why would Tupac Shakurs and JZ's music be studied in Ivy leagues schools in the US and have professors quoting that is of a level that many intelligent individuals may not comprehend. Even the US president listens to JZ.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by chronique(m): 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sure;I think your taste of music "might" have something to do with your I.Q. Sometimes when I hear people who are fans of certain artistes talk,I just end up shaking my head at the things that comes out from their mouths. As a person,I focus more on the lyrics of a song,than the beats. Terry G is an example of an artiste I can't listen to.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by azpekuliar: 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mynd_44: This thread is somehow oo

Mynd I have a thread that deserves to be on the frontpage. Can you make it happen?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ikenna94: 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
am curently listenin to antenna rmix wit wyclef.afrorap tinsz
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Saraben(f): 5:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
I don't bliv dis
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Mynd44: 5:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
azpekuliar:

Mynd I have a thread that deserves to be on the frontpage.
Use the complaints thread.

Thank you
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by yinkeys(m): 5:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
I think this is so true. Just like me I love rap stuffs that comes from Nas,J cole . Intellectual sh*t

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by tellwisdom: 5:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
No, whatever rocks your mood
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by mustaphagreens(m): 5:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi:
I think it does. Maybe it's because I don't really like lil wayne but I think it matters. It's not as if people should avoid the music entirely but it should be a once in a while affair. Take a look at this
"According to a recent study, Lil Wayne fans
are as dumb as a rock. If you enjoy Beyonce
and T.I., you're not too far behind. If you
listen to Beethoven, you're practically a
genuis.
Data for the study was gathered from
Facebook. The study's author found kids
from different colleges across the US, and
compared their favorite music to the
average SAT scores from those schools.
According to the results, Lil Wayne fans had
the lowest SAT score at 876, giving his fans
the dreaded title of "dumbest fans," while
fans bands like Radiohead, Counting Crows
and singer Sufjan Stevens ranked in the
1200s. Fans of Beethoven ranked the highest
at 1376. A perfect SAT score is 1600."

pls we would need the source of that cos it definitely could be some hastily manufactured statistics to back up ur post.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Tonetonz(f): 5:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
It might be...an example of someone who is addicted to lil wayne,all he hearz z 'ow many bitchez he gat or ow to make it rain on hoes''..blehhh...but compare it to someone who listens to soundz that getz thinkin deep on how to understand or give diff meaningz to the lyrics or jez piano soundz...t gtz u tinkn deep
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
PBundles: It says nothing and if anything the study is flawed as its based on cultural background and not actual IQ. Those that listen to Rap/hip hop are more affiliated with those that they see as being similar to (ie the rap stars) and who talk about their live experiences. Chances are that they are from less privileged environments, but having said that their scope of other music may be limited. Those in affluent environments who ALSO listen to rap/hip hop are opened to other forms as well. Thats the only difference. If the type of music defined yr IQ why would Tupac Shakurs and JZ's music be studied in Ivy leagues schools in the US and have professors quoting that is of a level that many intelligent individuals may not comprehend. Even the US president listens to JZ.

Exactly! The cultural background and social affiliations would be parameters that should have influenced the study.
But you also have to face the facts that Hip Hop tracks have "levels". A typical Tupac track should never be compared to say; Nicky or Eminem (who just sings with so much anger and dumb stuff simply to rhyme)! tongue

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Oildichotomy(m): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ironically, wack lyrical rappers like Lil Wayne and 2 Chains were straight A's students in High school.

But i think, naturally brilliant people are choosy beings when it comes to music, not every popular junk of music pass through their ear drums.

Go figure!

6 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by anselm791(m): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
I've gotta admit I don't see those agberos at my bus stop listening to beethoven and we all know how smart those folks are.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by kilode95(f): 5:32pm On Oct 23, 2013
A perfect score is 2400
undecided

BabaAlabi:
I think it does. Maybe it's because I don't really like lil wayne but I think it matters. It's not as if people should avoid the music entirely but it should be a once in a while affair. Take a look at this
"According to a recent study, Lil Wayne fans
are as dumb as a rock. If you enjoy Beyonce
and T.I., you're not too far behind. If you
listen to Beethoven, you're practically a
genuis.
Data for the study was gathered from
Facebook. The study's author found kids
from different colleges across the US, and
compared their favorite music to the
average SAT scores from those schools.
According to the results, Lil Wayne fans had
the lowest SAT score at 876, giving his fans
the dreaded title of "dumbest fans," while
fans bands like Radiohead, Counting Crows
and singer Sufjan Stevens ranked in the
1200s. Fans of Beethoven ranked the highest
at 1376. A perfect SAT score is 1600."
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
amiskurie: I knew I was a genius.I need to check my IQ.

these are my kinds: MIRANDA LAMBERT,JOHN MAYER,BONGOS IKWE,TAILOR SWIFT AND MANY MORE.
dude ...stop deceiving urself, u are not close to being a genius. It is taylor swift, not 'tailor' swift. ..........lol

8 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by toprealman: 5:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
OP emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

5 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by PBundles(m): 5:37pm On Oct 23, 2013
Yes I will have to give you that.

vivacious vivi:

Exactly! The cultural background and social affiliations would be parameters that should have influenced the study.
But you also have to face the facts that Hip Hop tracks have "levels". A typical Tupac track should never be compared to say; Nicky or Eminem (who just sings with so much anger and dumb stuff simply to rhyme)! tongue
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
I think it should be the more commercial your taste in music is, the more dumb you are.
I'm not a rap-head, I'm not even interested in it, but I know the difference between Lil Wayne and Canibus. Don't let the commercial artistes steal and defame the art that rap is. It's not a walk in a park talking about world problems and rhyming as well.
That said, I listen to all kinds of music and it depends on my mood during those months. There are times I have long spells for rock, african music from the likes of Salif Keita or take a particular interest in the artiste. I also have Reggae spells, Soul and Jazz, Gospel, down right to our own dear Psquare kind of music.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by duality(m): 5:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
classical music can make you intelligent and productive.

Learning to play classical musical instruments (notes and tones) helps to boost brain power.

FACT. Someone mustn't state it in another website for you to agree with me.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by vaGARY: 5:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
I wuz ere
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by PBundles(m): 5:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
Are you sure he didnt mean the Singing Swift Tailor at his corner.

Paroman:
dude ...stop deceiving urself, u are not close to being a genius. It is taylor swift, not 'tailor' swift. ..........lol
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 23, 2013

these are my kinds: MIRANDA LAMBERT,JOHN MAYER,BONGOS IKWE,TAILOR SWIFT AND MANY MORE.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2013

U are really intelligent tailor swift. Honestly you need a tailor to add more cloth to your intelligence. I'm a lil wayne fan and u can't judge a singer by his looks but by his lyrics
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by PBundles(m): 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
Very Very good point. It would suprise you to know that many of these so called dumb rapper where actually str8 A students ( ie Biggie, JZ, PAC was elected by his fellow students as being one they expected to excel later in life, Big Sean, I could go on and on......)

Oildichotomy^:
Ironically, wack lyrical rappers like Lil Wayne and 2 Chains were straight A's students in High school.

But i think, naturally brilliant people are choosy beings when it comes to music, not every popular junk of music pass through their ear drums.

Go figure!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by pizzaboi55(m): 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
maybe it isnt the music but one's intellectual 'status' that decides the kind of music they listen to. The music just makes one duller or sharper...
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by nickz(m): 5:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
what i listen to depends on my mood

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meaning Of The "Mirror" Music Video By Lil Wayne (feat. Bruno Mars). / Mon Jane Na (2019) Bangla Songs Download | Yash, Mimi / An Unbiased Review Of The 15th Headies Award By TrendyBeatz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.