Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? (23569 Views)

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? / For Those That Appreciate Quality Videos This Is The Very Video For Your Taste. / The Nigerian Girls In Music Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 23, 2013
beautiful nubia lo sure ju
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by skyscraperTM(m): 5:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
I don't think the kindof music one listens to has anything to do with intelligence. Also, because your friend is taking jamb for the fourth time doesn't make him a dummy either, there could be factors involved you know.

For example, i love listening to all kinds of song so far it sounds good to my ears, does it make me any less intelligent.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by ektbear: 5:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
I listen to trashy top 40 music and southern hip hop. Based upon that one would probably guess that I have average or below-average intelligence.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by JuanDeDios: 5:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

It might correlate, but definitely is not causal or proof of level of intelligence.
Perfectly said.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by PBundles(m): 5:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sorry but thats not true what you stated. Classical music has been said to have soothing effect on your demeanor BUT productive dont know about that. Actually it was proven sometime ago that pulsating music (rap, rock) made one work hard be focused and as such more productive.

The learning of a musical instrument wont make you smarter, its the same as any other learning process and as such can increase brain activity. Sukudo ( japanese logic puzzles) have been tested to stimulate and boost brain power, which is NOT the same as increasing IQ. 2 different things.

duality: classical music can make you intelligent and productive.

Learning to play classical musical instruments (notes and tones) helps to boost brain power.

FACT. Someone mustn't state it in another website for you to agree with me.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by WildChild00(m): 5:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
I personally, love listening to Jazz music, country side.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Tonetonz(f): 5:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
Willgates: just because someone is writing JAMB for the fourth time doesn't mean he's got an abysmal I.Q. And did you just say lil Wayne's songs? damn! the manner at which that guy plays with words is simply incredible! If u don't like his songs it's because u have a low I.Q already
broz,lilwayne sings CRAP..atleast eminem use WORDS dt can help ur vocab
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by jfkenny(m): 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
your environment and genetic composition determines ur intelligence. the songs and your interaction with both parents and sibs connotes your environment..so it contributes.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by abdurrazaq(m): 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
There are lots of indices used in measuring whether a song is good or not. It must be pointed out that music is primarily entertainment and other things are attached to it IMO. This is the reason why some cultured and religious stay away from ‘music‘.
The kind of music I listen to are those that have past moral and cultural test to me with the exception of some with d0pe beats and rhythm although, some sensible/deep songs can‘t make my playlist because they seems to be too boring for my liking.
I‘ll like to think myself as a music and not an artist person that is why I love tracks from various artistes (scattered around RAP, R&B, Fuji) although, I stay away from some even though they make the ‘best song of the year‘ once I notice anything contrary to my believe.
Therefore, level intelligence can‘t be measured with the choice of music but varies from person to person.
GOD bless musical artistes who had inspired me in the past hoping and praying for influx of more ‘intelligent‘ artistes in the industry worldwide as majority of those around now are bunch of jokers.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
Taste in music is different from following the pop-culture train. At the end of the day, all genre of music have incredibly intelligent music that can enhance your IQ. However, your ability to be able to sieve them and understand the complex ones, is what separates people of higher intelligence - from simple-minded folks.

Off topic:
I know people will always take a swipe at hip-hop - however, I'd say this, having toyed around with almost all genre of music out there, that hip-hop/rap music is the most complex genre of music ever. It's more than music, it's a culture and a way of life.

So I won't say it's about taste per se but your ability to discern the message/genre/language of what you're into. Sometimes, it's also about your mood and the space you're in. And that can influence your choice of music for that particular moment.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Homguy(m): 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
vivacious vivi: Nevertheless, the facts seem to show it but I still disagree. undecided
missy,If facts show it nd u still disagree and you still diagree what does that say about your intelligience?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Homguy(m): 5:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
vivacious vivi: Nevertheless, the facts seem to show it but I still disagree. undecided
missy,If facts show it and you still diagree what does that say about your intelligience?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi:
Lol...But does the kind of music you listen to matter? For example many Nigerians don't care about meaningful lyrics in a song, na only dance dem wan dance. Does it have an effect on exams and reasoning?
i care bout lyrics...
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by NotoriousBig(m): 6:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
amiskurie: I knew I was a genius.I need to check my IQ.

these are my kinds: MIRANDA LAMBERT,JOHN MAYER,BONGOS IKWE,TAILOR SWIFT AND MANY MORE.
Nigg.a your choice of music shows that your 100% gay.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
I tink people who listen to soul music, R&B are d mind people, tinkers & d deep people. it takes an inteligent person 2 listen 2 blues, get d wordings witout dancing. it also gets u tinking deep. Not lyk skelewu, alingo or bingo which maks us foolish
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
ekt_bear: I listen to trashy top 40 music and southern hip hop. Based upon that one would probably guess that I have average or below-average intelligence.

Where have you been hiding, ekt_warrior?

I co-sign that.

I fvck with 2chains, Rich homie quan, Lil Turk, YG, Lil Reese, Chief Keef and all kinds of ignorant music as well. grin
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by greatgeo(m): 6:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi:
I think it does. Maybe it's because I don't really like lil wayne but I think it matters. It's not as if people should avoid the music entirely but it should be a once in a while affair. Take a look at this
"According to a recent study, Lil Wayne fans
are as dumb as a rock. If you enjoy Beyonce
and T.I., you're not too far behind. If you
listen to Beethoven, you're practically a
genuis.
Data for the study was gathered from
Facebook. The study's author found kids
from different colleges across the US, and
compared their favorite music to the
average SAT scores from those schools.
According to the results, Lil Wayne fans had
the lowest SAT score at 876, giving his fans
the dreaded title of "dumbest fans," while
fans bands like Radiohead, Counting Crows
and singer Sufjan Stevens ranked in the
1200s. Fans of Beethoven ranked the highest
at 1376. A perfect SAT score is 1600."
Yes it does no reasonable thinking person will listen to song that does not add to them.forget about the dance
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
deejay_harry1: i care bout lyrics...

Wat do u do with d lyrics of songs lyk alingo and skelewo?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Homguy(m): 6:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
How IQ determines to a large extent d genre of music dat trips us. I strongly love Jazz and Hippop. QED!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
Somehow its true, but not for all cases,considering science students you would rarely find the intelligent ones singing songs with totally abysmal lyrics like alhaji or terry g's madness whatchamacalit..even if they do you woudnt find them doing it with much zeal/seriousness like the other..
0n the other hand I knew someone back then in Delta state who was among the best five in class but only knew Urhobo songs which he regaled us with everyday
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Trisome(m): 6:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
No pain, no music.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by spade: 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
If you listen to Fuji music, there is a good chance you're a thug.

If you listen to Flavour and Iyanya, then you're most likely a randy womanizer who'll eventually catch Syphillis.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by unmask: 6:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
lalaboi: Its Plain Rubbish. grin

Jamb itself is a flawed means of trying to get students into university. Complete waste.
have u written jamb more than once?

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
So Na African China|Daddy Showkey|& Marvellous Benji na ehn dey responsible for all my Problems for this life?! shocked shocked\

I wonder wetin my Intelligence go dey like if I start to listen to Sister Chioma Jesus (a.k.a Akanchawa) and Pasuma?

3 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Homguy: missy,If facts show it nd u still disagree and you still diagree what does that say about your intelligience?

That I am assertive! grin
What does that say about urs? tongue
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by sheblayze(f): 6:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
@OP, it does not. It depends on why you are listening to the song. Some people listen to music for depth, some for entertainment, others to calm the nerves. Real music lovers have a reason for every song they listen to.

What would the study have to say about someone like me who listens to almost all the genre of music (except classical though) lol?

Atimes I want to just dance and get crazy, would you suggest I listen to Mozart No, naija music would sure come in handy then.

Atimes I just want to relax and think about love, then I listen to Taylor swift, Westlife and the likes.

Every morning when I am in the mood of devotion, I play gospel music. It can be English or any of our local languages.

When I am bathing or when I am doing certain chores, there are particular songs I Listen to as well.

When I want to feel music with beats, punchlines, I listen to Rap and hip hop. Y'all saying rap is shallow and all that, please don't just listen to only one of an artiste's song and start calling that artiste dumb. Buy their album and you'll realise what they really have inside. The only reason I am a diehard fan of MI till tomorrow is not because of his hit tracks, it is because of that song, 'Money' in his first album. If I hadn't listened to his album, I wouldn't have heard that song and I wouldn't have liked him.

I remember one time I had to study allnight for an exam, guess what I played till morning, 'Oritsefemi' I was doing more of calculations then anyways. During my last exams, I played Drake ft Rihanna's 'Take Care' everyday. Y'all listen to lyrics please. Don't just say, "ah that's Nicki, she's dumb and bitchy, she's a hoe, I am too classy to listen to her."

Most of the greatest classical songs in history are just instruments, no lyrics and you say that's what smart people listen to? I dunno about any other person but I sure prefer Terry G's song with razz lyrics to some lyric-less stuffs that drives the ears crazy.

What does the study have to say about someone like me Lool

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by wolexy07(m): 6:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
I am of the opinion that there's a correlation between people's intelligence and the kind of music they listen to. People who listen to 'weird' songs tend to think more critically. For example, I have utter distaste for a lot of Nigerian songs. Pardon me but, I just can't relate with them. I prefer Mozart, Beethoven and the likes. 97% of people around me find my songs 'bad for the ears'. Lol.
One thing I realized is that, often times, my way of reasoning differs from these people.
Do note that I'm not saying that I'm not attributing critical reasoning to a particular music genre or that people who listen to certain songs are dumbos. I just feel the op has a point.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Carsonv(m): 6:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
There's a correlation between the your preference for music and your level of intelligence. People who listen to music that is mostly artistic both in lyrics and in soundtrack tend to have a more intuitive, critical and intelligent disposition. While people that listen to music with superficial lyrics, lacklustre sound tend not to have very critical and intuitive mind...not necessarily untintelligent!

People who look out for the artistic content of music than at the 'entertainment' aspect usually show more signs of intelligence! Now what intelligence really means is highly debatable.

It does not however mean a genre is more 'intellectual' than the other. Recently rap is getting my poetic than jazz!

For me I listen to good music...from jazz to rap, soul, r n b, pop, classic, reggaeton,...but never TerryG and whoever and whatever represents that kinda music!

I believe that what you listen to is product of what you're made of inside!

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by redcliff: 6:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
lalaboi:

Its hard to explain. The type of music you listen to does not show how smart you are. well, what i think anyway

Smart and Dumb people can enjoy the same type of music at any time.

Just because one does not pass Jamb does not mean he is not intelligent. Different reasons can be the cause. Definitely not music

I beg to differ pls. Your taste in music has everything to do with your intelligence level. People who listen to more abstract music tend to be highly intelligent and can express themselves pretty good in English. I think the kind of friends u hangout with are not the kind of people I mentioned above and that's why u can't see that there is a correlation betweeen ur kind of music and intelligence level
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Fussbot: 6:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
Codedrock: CURRENTLY LISTENING TO LIL WAYNE ft BURNO MARS- MIRROR.
AND JUST FINISHED LISTENING TO NICKI MINAJ- STARSHIPS WITH MY HEADPHONE.. So dont give a shit about any crappy law or quote all you have to do is study wella.
haha!bros which kind old songs full ur phone lik dis na?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by narmani: 6:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi:
Lol...But does the kind of music you listen to matter? For example many Nigerians don't care about meaningful lyrics in a song, na only dance dem wan dance. Does it have an effect on exams and reasoning?

it doesn't affect you in terms of intelligence in any way. But it can affect your reasoning more than you can ever know. Some songs paint this picture of "get the money, get the girl;you're fulfilled", it doesn't really work that way, you know? Leaving out the uncertainties, risk, pain, hard work etc; and someone will just run head long into all kind of rubbish. Even superstars face pain and fear, but they won't tell you, they just smile at the cameras and you feel you want to be like them.
Thats my take on this on sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mon Jane Na (2019) Bangla Songs Download | Yash, Mimi / An Unbiased Review Of The 15th Headies Award By TrendyBeatz / 2Face Idibia's "OLE" Music Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.