Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,451 members, 7,801,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Rules On Slavery - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rules On Slavery (3016 Views)

The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. / Synagogue: Court Rules On Inquest Nov 17 / Vatican Set To Publish New Rules On Abuse (child Abuse By Catholic Priests) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rules On Slavery by DeepSight(m): 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
38 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt to give you the land of Canaan and to be your God.

39 “‘If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and sell themselves to you, do not make them work as slaves.

40 They are to be treated as hired workers or temporary residents among you; they are to work for you until the Year of Jubilee.

41 Then they and their children are to be released, and they will go back to their own clans and to the property of their ancestors.

42 Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves.

43 Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God.

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

- - - The Book of Leviticus, Chapter 25

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sorry sir you ave not explained anyting here o
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 3:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
Most skeptics will claim that the bible cordones and supported slavery. But they fail to realize that the bible gave rules on how to treat slaves such as the one above, and these in the new testament:

Ephesians 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.
(KJV)

Colossians 4:1 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.

Slavery in recent times is very different from the kind in bible days. In bible days, slaves were not considered inferior, and they were not used based on skin colour.

One could sell himself to slavery because he wants his needs catered for completely by his master, a doctor could be a slave due to his services, etc etc.

But as christians in this day and age, we are to fight against the forms of slavery around us like sex trade etc as we are examples, being freed from slavery to sin.

A good example of the way God detests humiliation and forced slavery is the way he responded with terrible plagues to egypt when the children of israel were treated horribly and forced into slavery.

3 Likes

Re: Rules On Slavery by plaetton: 3:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
Divepen: Sorry sir you ave not explained anyting here o

It is self-explanatory.

First of all, it clearly and unambiguously shows that the biblical god is the tribal god of the Hebrews, not the god of all humanity or the universe.

This tribal god saw nothing wrong with buying and selling humans as merchandise.

So much for a loving god , huh?

I can excuse Jews, middle easterners, even whites for accepting and worshiping this immoral Psychopath that they call Yahweh, but for an African to worship this biblical god is perhaps the greatest tragedy of our History.

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by plaetton: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: Most skeptics will claim that the bible cordones and supported slavery. But they fail to realize that the bible gave rules on how to treat slaves such as the one above, and these in the new testament:

Ephesians 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.
(KJV)

Colossians 4:1 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.

Slavery in recent times is very different from the kind in bible days. In bible days, slaves were not considered inferior, and they were not used based on skin colour.

One could sell himself to slavery because he wants his needs catered for completely by his master, a doctor could be a slave due to his services, etc etc.

But as christians in this day and age, we are to fight against the forms of slavery around us like sex trade etc as we are examples, being freed from slavery to sin.

A good example of the way God detests humiliation and forced slavery is the way he responded with terrible plagues to egypt when the children of israel were treated horribly and forced into slavery.

It just never seizes to amaze me how a person can say two contradictory things in one sentence.

According to you,the bible does not condone slavery, but only gives guidelines as to how to treat them?
Even though in the op, you must have seen the :

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

What species are you, my joshthefirst?
Re: Rules On Slavery by DeepSight(m): 3:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: Most skeptics will claim that the bible cordones and supported slavery. But they fail to realize that the bible gave rules on how to treat slaves such as the one above, and these in the new testament:

(KJV)

Why the different rules then regarding foreigners.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2013
plaetton:

It just never seizes to amaze me how a person can say two contradictory things in one sentence.

According to you,the bible does not condone slavery, but only gives guidelines as to how to treat them?

grin
I'm certainly a different species from you who claims a bonobo is your cousin.
grin

Go back and read my post again nwokem. They didn't commit much racism in those days, God didn't allow them to treat slaves like scum, like most people do now.
Re: Rules On Slavery by MrTroll(m): 3:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
plaetton:

Yahweh's special creation.

I tell you, this guy trolls better than me, albeit with all sincerity. cheesy

I mean, this guy said that!!!?
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 3:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

in those days, foreigners were not part of the covenant(agreement) with God. Thank the lord we're now allowed into Gods family now.
Re: Rules On Slavery by MrTroll(m): 3:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: in those days, foreigners were not part of the covenant(agreement) with God. Thank the lord we're now allowed into Gods family now.

honestly man, do you not realize how silly your god is? do you sincerely not see that your so called creator of all things and all people is an epitome of bigotry and tribalism?
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 3:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mr Troll: honestly man, do you not realize how silly your god is? do you sincerely not see that your so called creator of all things and all people is an epitome of bigotry and tribalism?
no mehn. I read the bible, and I see his plan from the beginning of time till now. I even have a glimpse of the future and it is being fulfilled before my very eyes.
I marvel at the awesome power and unlimited knowledge of God cool
Re: Rules On Slavery by plaetton: 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: grin
I'm certainly a different species from you who claims a bonobo is your cousin.
grin

Go back and read my post again nwokem. They didn't commit much racism in those days, God didn't allow them to treat slaves like scum, like most people do now.

Another bombshell from mr. joshthfirst from the Alpha Nebula galaxy.

Guess who has not been reading the bible.
Correction. I dont think that you understand the simple english that you read in the bible.

In one occasion, Yahweh, instruct Joshua to instantly gut with a spear an Israelite man that took a Jebusite woman as his wife.
And you say that there was no racism in those days.

Your ignorance is even embarrassing me.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 4:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
^^^[quote]do not be quick to type sir. You are embarrassing yourself. I'm not embarrassing you. grin

Please show us where joshua gutted an israelite man that took a jebusite woman as his wife

Even if it happened, it wasn't because of racism.
There are commands God gave the israelites to care for foreigners in their midst. Smh
Racism:
n.
1 a a belief in the superiority of a particular race; prejudice based on this. b antagonism towards other races, esp. as a result of this.
2 the theory that human abilities etc. are determined by race. racist

The israelites were not allowed by God to mix up with other nations because of their tendency to adopt foreign idols and forsake the God who chose them. It didn't mean God viewed them as superior. God wanted to wipe them out completely several times because of sin.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
It seems Joshthefirst is gunning for an award

-highest number of foolish posts per username.

gaddem grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03: It seems Joshthefirst is gunning for an award

-highest number of foolish posts per username.

gaddem grin grin grin

Learn to be polite man, you insult people here and there just because of religion...it's not good for a grown up and educated man like you! Nawa oh, ajebo na hin dey cause this one? Wake up man na 2013 we dey grin!
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 6:00pm On Oct 23, 2013
Plaetton should show me where joshua speared an israelite for marrying a jebusite or forever be ashamed of himself.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
doubleDx:

Learn to be polite man, you insult people here and there just because of religion...it's not good for a grown up and educated man like you! Nawa oh, ajebo na hin dey cause this one? Wake up man na 2013 we dey grin!

What?

bros, no vex

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by plaetton: 6:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: Plaetton should show me where joshua speared an israelite for marrying a jebusite or forever be ashamed of himself.

I will be more than happy to show you.
But, what will you concede if I do show you?
Will you concede of ignorance, or would you concede that Yahweh encouraged not only racism but cold blooded murder?

The reason I ask is that as soon as I show you the passage, you will immediately try to rationalize or justify it.
Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 6:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: do not be quick to type sir. You are embarrassing yourself. I'm not embarrassing you. grin

The israelites were not allowed by God to mix up with other nations because of their tendency to adopt foreign idols and forsake the God who chose them. It didn't mean God viewed them as superior. God wanted to wipe them out completely several times because of sin.

Will will your god want to kill his children and chosen people because of sin, is he a monster?. . .Will you kill your kids if they disobey you?. . .Remember your god also instructed the ancient jews to kill their disobedient kids. . .Your god is more of a monsters than a loving being. . .If these passages were written in the koran , I know you will be here telling us how bad and evil Allah is , but since it is written in your own bubble of delusion you are here trying to defend baseless and barbaric mythical tales. . .
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 6:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
plaetton:

I will be more than happy to show you.
But, what will you concede if I do show you?
Will you concede of ignorance, or would you concede that Yahweh encouraged not only racism but cold blooded murder?

The reason I ask is that as soon as I show you the passage, you will immediately try to rationalize or justify it.

Even if it happened, it wasn't because of racism.
There are commands God gave the israelites to care for foreigners in their midst. Smh
Racism:
n.
1 a a belief in the superiority of a particular race; prejudice based on this. b antagonism towards other races, esp. as a result of this.
2 the theory that human abilities etc. are determined by race. racist

Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 6:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
mazaje:

Will will your god want to kill his children and chosen people because of sin, is he a monster?. . .Will you kill your kids if they disobey you?. . .Remember your god also instructed the ancient jews to kill their disobedient kids. . .Your god is more of a monsters than a loving being. . .If these passages were written in the koran , I know you will be here telling us how bad and evil Allah is , but since it is written in your own bubble of delusion you are here trying to defend baseless and barbaric mythical tales. . .

joshthefirst: Hell is very real.
God is not interested in sending anyone to hell. God is interested in saving people from hell. God's mission is to save the world from sin and condemnation.
I've given this example before:

Suppose you have a son, your much loved son. Who is a rebellious and fool-hardy son. You sure do love him, but everything he does is about challenging your authority and rebelling against you, under your own roof and rule. Even WHEN this son grows up and knows better, he still uses every oppourtunity to break your own rules, speak against you, disobey you and ignore you every chance he gets.
Be honest. It will be wise and just to put that son away, to throw him out of your house. Although you love your son. It will be just to kick your son out(say he's 30 years old). This is because he has made himself your enemy

This is how it is with God. He's not just our loving father, he's our creator. And he's our JUDGE
When we rebel, his holiness and righteousness as a just judge will be to condemn you in death and cast into hell. That's the hard truth and reality. For the wages of sin is death you see.

But God is a loving God, because inspite of our sins and rebellion, he sent his son to make a way and free us from guilt and condemnation. Inspite of your rebellion as a sinner, (think of all your sins all these years), and the fact that you're guilty, he still loved you and sent his son to die even while you were already guilty. This is why God is merciful and just. People on nl even rebel against God and curse him everyday. Everyday we fornicate and steal and use God's name as a swear word and lie. We are guilty before God. That is the message. God in his mercy made a way of salvation so we can be acquitted and granted freedom from sin, but still people misinterpret that and say God is unjust(how can you say that?!)

You see, sin damns to hell. God is holy.
For the wages of sin is death
But he is loving and merciful and loving
But the free-gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our lord

Accept jesus today! Escape the wrath to come!

Edit: what people do today, is try to water down their sins before a just and holy God and that won't work. The whole world wallows in sin and lawlessness today. The world stands guilty before God. Grab the salvation and anchor of our lord Jesus Christ. He can save you from wrath. Stop the sin. Stop taking pleasure in it and look to Jesus and start to live a holy life before God.
Stop giving stjupid and shallow excuses before God. Hell is real. Why die for your sins when there is salvation?

Escape the wrath to come!!!!!!
Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 6:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
^^

Hell, wrath, fire, agony, fear bla bla bla. . .You should have told us that fear is your god and fear is the only thing you worship. . .Keep bandying delusional and mythical fear mongering if that will make you sleep well at night. . .

2 Likes

Re: Rules On Slavery by loveroftruth: 9:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
Deep Sight:

You must be myopic or blind this time.
Maybe that shortsightedness is why you are still a deist.

Were you blind to the part of the Bible where the same Yahweh said the sons of Abraham would be in slavery in a foreign land(Egypt) for about 400yrs ? Why did you not complain about that ^ ?

What you should add to your knowlege of Yahweh is that there is "no injustice with him".

Do you think he sees buying labour or hiring labour aka slave the way you do ?

Yahweh is not a human you know !

'Slave' thing can be a survival technique both ways you know ? Like the one in question, In an imperfect system i mean.

When the perfect system comes, all will enjoy, slavery was already in voke befor the nation of israel was formed. So, blame the 'ruler' of this current system and not Yahweh.

Open your eyes!

*sorry if i sounded personal
Re: Rules On Slavery by plaetton: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
loveroftruth:

Were you bind to the part of the Bible where the same Yahweh said the sons of Abraham would be in slavery in a foreign land(Egypt) for about 400yrs ? Why did you not complain about that ^ ?

What you should add to your knowlege of Yahweh is that there is "no injustice with him".

Slavery can be a survival technic both ways you know ? In an imperfect system i mean.

When the perfect system comes, all will enjoy, slavery was already in voke befor the nation of israel was formed. So, blame the 'ruler' of this current system and not Yahweh.

Open your eyes!

*sorry if i sounded personal*

Convoluted logic.

Buying labour and paying wages is way way different from slavery, you silly rabbit.
Did you not learn that in elementary school?

Where is the love in buying and selling fellow humans?

A Perfect god for an imperfect system, huh? shocked
That's a new one.
Hhhmmmm. I just wonder who created the imperfect system.

There is no type of silly rubbish that I will not hear on Nl religious section.
Re: Rules On Slavery by mazaje(m): 9:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
The more i keep reading the nonsense these christians type the more am convinced that religion and gods are nothing but human ideas. . .Pathetic. . .
Re: Rules On Slavery by NoProphecy: 1:03am On Oct 24, 2013
Anyone or anything that supports the enslavement of human beings is evil and disgusting. I don't care about "Rules" telling people to not be so mean. If there was a book telling how to be nice while molesting 5 year old kids, I would call the writers savages. The same holds true for slavery. There is no good way to enslave human beings. There is no good way to rape little children. An all knowing, all powerful being would have ZERO tolerance for either. My dog is more moral than these ignorant, backwards savages.

1 Like

Re: Rules On Slavery by loveroftruth: 6:29am On Oct 24, 2013
hyena hyena hyenas !!!

Sorry folks ! I cant address you guys except the op if need be.

Take care.
Re: Rules On Slavery by Kay17: 6:43am On Oct 24, 2013
At least Slavery is the most heinous sin in the secular atheistic deistic modern world's morality.
Re: Rules On Slavery by loveroftruth: 9:22am On Oct 24, 2013
loveroftruth:

Were you blind to the part of the Bible where the same Yahweh said the sons of Abraham would be in slavery in a foreign land(Egypt) for about 400yrs ? Why did you not complain about that ^ ?

'Slave' thing can be a survival technique both ways you know ? Like the one in question, In an imperfect system i mean.

Open your eyes!

*sorry if i sounded personal

"Of judgment, because the RULER of this world is judged. " (John 16:11).

The ruler of this world is satan
Re: Rules On Slavery by Kay17: 10:32am On Oct 24, 2013
^^
The contention is whether God approved Slavery, not whether the devil or atheists created it.
Re: Rules On Slavery by MrTroll(m): 10:32am On Oct 24, 2013
You guys are just pathetic. You know what, stop trying to use logic in explaining your bible. Just believe it and tell us its your gods special morality. I tired of this nonsense! angry
Re: Rules On Slavery by Joshthefirst(m): 10:44am On Oct 24, 2013
You guys are acting as if you didn't read my posts. Did you not hear when I said that slavery in those days was different from the brutality of these recent times. Under Gods law, brutality and ill treatment of foreigners was not allowed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Watch And Pray For Southern (CADUNA) SOLDIER'S WAY / JW And The Catholic Who Among These Folk Are More Disillusioned. / Church Members Go Naked For Pastor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.