Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,038 members, 7,807,121 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? (929 Views)

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 / GODWIN; Gospel Or Secular??? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
Hello, please I want fair and substantial contributions, NO INSULTS please. I don't think its right for a Christian to listen to secular or worldly musics, as it seems contracdictory to the passage that says ...''love not the world, nor the things that are in the world...''
So, what's your view? As for me, when I became born again, I lost interest in them, I cant explain how it happened though.. What do you think?
Re: Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by peteregwu(m): 10:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
ABSOLUTELY, ITS NOT RIGHT FOR A CHRISTIAN TO LISTEN OR BUY SECULAR MUSIC. IT IS WORDLINESS AND WE SHOULDNT BE PART OF IT AS TRUE BELIEVERS. WORDLINESS IS ENEMITY WITH COME. ANY CHRISTIAN THAT DANCE YO UNGODLY MUSIC OR BUYS IT, IF HE OR SHE DOES NOT REPENT AND DESTROY SUCH UNGODLY MUSIC AND CUT OFF FROM IT, SUCH CHRISTIAN WILL NOT MAKE HEAVEN. REMEMBER ALL THIESE SECULAR ARE PLAYED IN THE HOTEL AND NO GODLY MUSIC CAN BE PLAYED IN THE HOTEL. SO BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS AND SINNERS ARE NOT SAME.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 KJV
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? [15] And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? [16] And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them ; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. [17] Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing ; and I will receive you, [18] And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
Re: Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by kambo(m): 1:36am On Oct 24, 2013
How about watching non-christian movies?
Music and actg are in d same industry. And most actors are cross over musicians.

How about cheering and rooting 4 a team in a football match?
Cud anything b more worldly?
I mean there's no 'God' in d event . ?
Re: Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by peteregwu(m): 9:34am On Oct 24, 2013
kambo: How about watching non-christian movies?
Music and actg are in d same industry. And most actors are cross over musicians.

YES, THEY ARE ALL WORDLINESS. BUT MANY ARE STILL IGNORANT OF IT. IT IDOLATRY.
Re: Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 24, 2013
kambo: How about watching non-christian movies?

I dont really know about movies anyway.. but everthing one does should be as unto Christ.. One can watch a match, it doesn't necessary mean you love it, unlike others who can even kill because of it.
Re: Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by kambo(m): 4:47am On Oct 25, 2013
Medics07:

I dont really know about movies anyway.. but everthing one does should be as unto Christ.. One can watch a match, it doesn't necessary mean you love it, unlike others who can even kill because of it.
y is it excusable to b enthusiastic over a match and not music?
Music a person can listen to passively but football requires full concentration.
People dont kill and maim for a track but football hooliganism is rampant.
Escobar was a colombian killed not by industry bigwigs but an ardent fan! And all d pastors i know hav their ardent european teams.
Everything cannot hav bible verses in them, som songs are clearly devilish in origin, but many hav no perverse explicit dirty lyric
and are quite harmless entertainment.
All inspire in many ways .
E.g what wud u say of bob marley and lucky dube's songs?
These people's songs are liked for d inspirational messages they portray - without bible verses.
Wat of neyo's "independent woman". Many girls wud b spurred by listening to tht track.
Or
elvis presley's "in d ghetto". It powerfully captures d life and struggle of a young man growing up and trapped in a life of vice in d ghetto.
Nas n lauren hill - if i rule d world.
Coolio - i'll see u when u get there
(are collectors oldies and inspirational too)
3lw (2001) - no more - captured anger and dissapointment from heart break all teenagers go thru.

Tlc- don't go chasing waterfalls -
(is also collectors hip hop stuff full of gud advice too)

If ur teenager experiences heartbreak , u gonna play them a religious tune? Take it easy .
I'm doing so good - destiny child
carries a message to.
Tht sb cud leave d hood and make it in life.
Songs are timeless and songs define a phase in ppls lives.
Songs are spiritual too- cuz most fellows hav committed suicide after listeng to heavy metal rock music , that's where d element of control must b exercised otherwise i dont think excessive dogmatism is justified.

Ive heard people say they dont play non christian music on their
players.
Thats dogmatism, theyre tryng to b spiritual but other aspects of their lives reflect hypocrisy.
If u can enjoy the beauty of nature, u can also enjoy the beauty of intelligent lyrics and beautiful sound- everythg dnt need to b about preaching.
Re: Is It Right When A Christian Listens To Secular Music? by SecretDreams(m): 6:21am On Oct 25, 2013
Well, this is actually an issue that has made many Christians confused, the thing is that, we shouldn't love the world nor the things of the world, our lives should reflect Jesus anywhere, a true christian can't claim to be rooted in christ if he still listens to vulgar songs, without thinking about what Jesus will do.
Listening in such songs can make a new convert or anyone that looks up to you fall, Paul said if eating meat will make his fellow man to stumble he will stop eating meat. That's just an illustration that our actions can affect fellow believers to fall so we should be very cautious. Kindly check out this thread www.nairaland.com/1491605/lets-share-campus-fellowship-experiences feel free to comment.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Internet:breeding Ground For Terrorism. / There Is Power In The Name Of Yahushua,(jesus) / Will Soldiers Who Kill Go To Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.