Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,458 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland (22181 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by odumchi: 12:32am On Oct 24, 2013
I came across this film and thought I should share it. It's in the Udi dialect of Igbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJBjxWN95U

7 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by odumchi: 12:35am On Oct 24, 2013
Interesting.

Uproot their authority.
Appoint a local representative.
Teach them our government style.
Teach them our language and culture.
Give Western education.
Make them compete amongst themselves.

The British were wicked.

5 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 3:31am On Oct 24, 2013
Not done watching it yet, but my God, this is very, very interesting. What other archive videos are out there?
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:11am On Oct 24, 2013
I'm blessed to see this!
Odumchi,let it be.
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by odumchi: 4:24am On Oct 24, 2013
A friend sent it to me. It was produced in 1949. I don't know if there others like it, but if I come across any, I'll be sure to share them.
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 5:24am On Oct 24, 2013
Okay, thanks.

To be honest, as a videographer/producer myself, I have to give these people credit. At first I thought it was going to be a simple documentary, but it turned out to be an interesting film. Nice overall production, good editing and acting. It certainly outdoes the Nollywood home videos movies we've become accustomed to seeing.

As for the production, it clearly shows the kind of inroads that had been made by the British in the hinterland. Those of us who weren't born then, or matured at that time, read about it and consequently discuss it as if it occurred in the distant past (at least, that is how it feels to me sometimes). It didn't though, and the implications of it all are both revealing and freighting at the same time.

4 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by eduson33(m): 5:51am On Oct 24, 2013
Thanks op
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 24, 2013
Where have videos like this been hiding? shocked
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 2:41pm On Oct 24, 2013
Make I save the thread with a "kpom" -bookmarked. I will see the movie later.
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by ezeagu(m): 1:18am On Oct 26, 2013
It won an Academy Award in the 50s.

2 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by 99cent: 12:37am On Oct 29, 2013
odumchi: Interesting.

Uproot their authority.
Give Western education.

The British were wicked.

what has this got to do with the movie?
it was a pretty good film. Very inspiring.
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by odumchi: 1:40am On Oct 29, 2013
99cent:

what has this got to do with the movie?
it was a pretty good film. Very inspiring.

The movie highlighted British colonialism in Igboland. Didn't you see how they made various villages compete amongst themselves for financial and infrastructural attention? Or how they laid the foundations for Westernizaion by teaching the villagers their language and alphabet? Or what about how the woman, fueled by her hatred of traditional superstitions, defied traditional norms and poured hot water on that masquerade?

2 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by 99cent: 1:57am On Oct 29, 2013
odumchi:

The movie highlighted British colonialism in Igboland. Didn't you see how they made various villages compete amongst themselves for financial and infrastructural attention? Or how they laid the foundations for Westernizaion by teaching the villagers their language and alphabet? Or what about how the woman, fueled by her hatred of traditional superstitions, defied traditional norms and poured hot water on that masquerade?

-nothing wrong with healthy competition.
-that woman isn't dumb. maternal mortality is still a huge problem in Africa today which is why I loved the video. I would pour hot water on a stupid masquerade too if it meant that I will have good health care. in reality though all the women were intimidated except that lady. she's quite brave. Most of the men in control in dat village are often not representing the best interest of the people. using superstition n fear to control d people. at least not anymore/better than the colonial masters. they r there for their own pockets too. ie that village chief who wanted the land for himself. n sent masquerades to intimidate the women at d maternity clinic.
when u think about it, d reason we were able to be completely colonized in d first place is because of the leaders' greed. the colonizers 90% of d time worked in concert with d chiefs who were on the British payroll lol

-she didn't pour hot water on d masquerade because she hated traditional superstitions. she poured hot water on him because she didn't believe in d superstition. if she believed in d superstition, she wouldn't have had the nerve to pour d hot water whether she hated it or not. fear is different from hatred. I think many people most likely hate the superstitions yet fear is d reason why they don't challenge it.

it's just a movie anyway. in reality, she would have been attacked probably. those masquerades outnumber her n d midwife.
they're just men hiding behind masks to commit violence. and because of d masks (alter ego) they do not retain conscience of violence. because the belief is that once the mask is on, they have become spirits and any action committed by them is from god. lol
sort of like soldiers who kill as act of duty/profession and when they take off their uniform, they become civilians.

3 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by KoloOyinbo(m): 4:11pm On Oct 30, 2013

Uproot their authority.
Give Western education.

The British were wicked.

Very very TRUE! Everything they did here they did in Ireland to the Irish hundreds of years ago. The only difference is they are still doing it in Ireland!

2 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by odumchi: 6:39am On Nov 06, 2013
99cent:

-nothing wrong with healthy competition.
-that woman isn't dumb. maternal mortality is still a huge problem in Africa today which is why I loved the video. I would pour hot water on a stupid masquerade too if it meant that I will have good health care. in reality though all the women were intimidated except that lady. she's quite brave. Most of the men in control in dat village are often not representing the best interest of the people. using superstition n fear to control d people. at least not anymore/better than the colonial masters. they r there for their own pockets too. ie that village chief who wanted the land for himself. n sent masquerades to intimidate the women at d maternity clinic.
when u think about it, d reason we were able to be completely colonized in d first place is because of the leaders' greed. the colonizers 90% of d time worked in concert with d chiefs who were on the British payroll lol

-she didn't pour hot water on d masquerade because she hated traditional superstitions. she poured hot water on him because she didn't believe in d superstition. if she believed in d superstition, she wouldn't have had the nerve to pour d hot water whether she hated it or not. fear is different from hatred. I think many people most likely hate the superstitions yet fear is d reason why they don't challenge it.

it's just a movie anyway. in reality, she would have been attacked probably. those masquerades outnumber her n d midwife.
they're just men hiding behind masks to commit violence. and because of d masks (alter ego) they do not retain conscience of violence. because the belief is that once the mask is on, they have become spirits and any action committed by them is from god. lol
sort of like soldiers who kill as act of duty/profession and when they take off their uniform, they become civilians.

There's truth in what you're saying.

1 Like

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by makahlj2: 5:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
KoloOyinbo:

Very very TRUE! Everything they did here they did in Ireland to the Irish hundreds of years ago. The only difference is they are still doing it in Ireland!
Today? I don't think so. Fifty years ago, maybe.

1 Like

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 11:26pm On Nov 17, 2013
Nice thread
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 14, 2013
odumchi: I came across this film and thought I should share it. It's in the Udi dialect of Igbo.

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJBjxWN95U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtYJBjxWN95U[/flash]
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by bitterpenis(m): 4:11pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ok
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by kekakuz(m): 4:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
i hope this movie tells the truth about the igbo history of how oranmiyan liberated them from slavery in yoruba land
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by NaLaugh: 4:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
uhmm.. errm, how do i say this..
The starring lady had some big ol' tatas cheesy
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by hybridtm(m): 4:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
I must watch dat film
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Jayses(m): 4:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
data bundle rich nairalanders have just overrated this movie since I don't have enough mb n not willing to follow the crowd " clear throat " d movie is not interesting .
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
I must see this movie before this year runs out.
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 20, 2013

Uproot their authority.
Give Western education.

The British were wicked.

So it's the british that made ibo people start kidnapping themselves?

Its the british that made ibo people peddle counterfeit goods and drugs to each other?

The british were truly wicked

3 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 20, 2013
Space Bookedd..

COS
Its gonna get interesting when the yorubas arrive grin
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Nna Mehn!!!!!

Odikwa egwu oooo! It is terrible for them....

2 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 20, 2013
GustavoFring:

So it's the british that made ibo people start kidnapping themselves?

Its the british that made ibo people peddle counterfeit goods and drugs to each other?

The british were truly wicked

Born troway. You reason like you were brought up in a LovePeddler house

11 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
wingman:

[s]Born troway. You reason like you were brought up in a LovePeddler house[/s]

I don't negotiate with kidnappers.

Next...

2 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by c0llynz02: 4:33pm On Dec 20, 2013
Is Igbo the only tribe in Nigeria? Haba!
Everyday Igbo this Igbo that.
Nairaland cannot attract traffic without stoking tribal wars.

2 Likes

Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by oduaboy1: 4:40pm On Dec 20, 2013
They forgot to add this part in the moviecheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
cannibalism: Directly an enemy was slain, his head – and sometimes his body, if the people were strongly cannibalistic – was taken to the village and a great dance given, either at once or after the skull has been cleaned of its flesh by boiling, or by being buried for a time in the ground. At the feast, every man-slayer of the village danced round, generally with a skull in one hand and his machete in the other. Sometimes the body of the enemy was brought in whole; sometimes it was cut in pieces in advance to facilitate transport. It was then boiled in native pots and shared out, occasionally among the man-slayer's family and friends, but sometimes among all the people of the village, until it was wholly consumed. In some tribes it was forbidden for women and children to partake of human flesh; in others, for example among the Kalabari, the eldest sister of the hut was forced to taste it, however strongly she might protest.

Among the Abadja, the whole body of anyone slain was ordinarily taken back to the village and there consumed, though it was tabu to eat women or children. A man only divided his ‘kill’ among his own family. The body was cut up and cooked in pots; the fingers, palms of the hands, and toes were considered the best eating. Sometimes, if a family had been satisfied, part of the body would be dried and put away for later.
When an Nkanu warrior brought a head back, everyone who heard of the deed gave him a present, and much palm-wine was drunk. The trophy was boiled, and the flesh cut away. The skull was then taken out, accompanied with all the others in the village, and the flesh was then boiled and eaten.
Much cruelty was practised among certain of these tribes. For example, the Bafum-Bansaw, who frequently tortured their prisoners before putting them to death. Palm-oil was boiled in a big pot, and then by means of a gourd enema it was pumped into the bowels and stomachs of the prisoners. This practice was said to make the bodies much more succulent than they would otherwise have been. The bodies were left until the palm-oil had permeated them, and then cut up and devoured...

P. A. Talbot,Southern Nigeria, Clarendon Press, 1926 (3 vols.)

Every moment, men, women and even children passed me. One would be carrying a human leg on his shoulder, another would be carrying the lungs or the heart of some unfortunate Kroo-boy in his or her hands. Several times I myself was offered my choice of one of these morsels, dripping with gore.

Father Bubendorf of Freiburg, an eye-witness to the slaughter of a group of captives outside the hut of a tribal chief, Onitsha, Nigeria, c. 1921
Re: Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland by bitex2(m): 4:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
GustavoFring:

I don't negotiate with kidnappers.

Next...
what makes you think that you are worth being kidnapped..

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano Celebrates 50yrs On The Throne (Pictures) / Otu Nzuzo: A Discussion Of Secret Cults In Igbo Language / Oba Of Bénin's Curse Is Scaring Traffickers Away from the Illicit Trade- Reuters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.