Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

African Woman Living In American - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Woman Living In American (15050 Views)

The Prettiest African Woman / New Blog By A Hausa/fulani Woman Living In England / Ibo People In American Rap Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 7:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
Janae, you don't need a DNA test
Re: African Woman Living In American by MrsChima(f): 2:59am On Dec 10, 2013
Nyumba: I think that these African DNA tests are bull****, 40% of the slave were taken from Angola.

If I did the test it'd probably end up with

"You are Akan with a bit of Hausa and Bamiléké ancestry"

They surely have only few DNA patterns to take as reference

I'm Rwandan, btw

Bamiléké palace

Very nice pics!
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 6:05am On Dec 10, 2013
Nyumba:
I think that these African DNA tests are bull****, 40% of the slave were taken from Angola.

Mrs.Chima:
The African DNA website is still running?!!!
Oy vey!

I'm getting so tired of this logical position undecided

Before I go any further... As a software guy I make a distinction between hardware & software. I.E If I download buggy software I don't blame the computer I blame the program(mer). Likewise I make a distinction between "Biological hardware" and logical positions.

I.E. My issue is with the message not the messenger

I put complaints about African DNA tests(specifically "African ancestry"wink in the same category as complaints about the illuminati, "Da white man", the scary Afrocentrist, New world order, and on down to your run of the mill conspiracy theories.

1. The DNA test do exactly what the company says it does. (If they don't please show me evidence to the contrary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRQaOs967o
Dr. Rick Kittles, Co-founder and Scientific Director of AfricanAncestry.com,
explains the measures that he uses to determine an ancestry result

2.Now if some random person on the internet tells you something different( Exaggeration: "the test tells you exactly what village & hut you're ancestors were plucked from !!!"wink how does that magically erase what the company founder says(who made the process) the test does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMprQomEI0
explains how the process of tracing genetic ancestry works.

Random abstract example:
This is the same line of thought that annoys me about people constantly complain about the scary "Afrocentrist". If some nut job on the internet says that the olmecs were African what the hell does that have to do with the professor in this case "Ivan van sertima" who did the actual field work who said no such thing.

Moral of the story?
Stop throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If person A tells person B something and person B screws up the message or completely misinterprets it that has little to do with person A(Short of possibly not clearly articulating the point) ...unless you can verify that person A actually said such a thing.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 7:39pm On Dec 11, 2013
You don't need a DNA test to know you're African... and probably (99% of the possibilities) the results are fckd up, like "You are Mande from Sierra Leone, Mandinka from Senegal ( Senegal is mostly Wolof) and Igbo from Nigeria"... these results are a joke...
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 6:50am On Dec 12, 2013
peezle:

She is thus Christened UGONWANNE as her Igbo name.
Ugonwanne you pop the question you have about Nigeria. There are elders and sages here to answer *grabs his nzu and makes his mark on the dirty earth, clears his throat, reclines on his chair then brings out his snff box..taps it thrice for good measure takes two nosefuls then says in Obama's voice "bring it on"*

Awww...I wanted the name Chioma!!

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 6:52am On Dec 12, 2013
This past weekend I went to an Igbo Christmas party. There was a masquerade. I recorded it but unfortunately the clip is too long to share.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
lovelylady:

Awww...I wanted the name Chioma!!

Aww! That's a cute name. Means 'good God'. Chi - God. Oma - good. smiley

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 10:53pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nyumba: You don't need a DNA test to know you're African...

True, but ultimately irrelevant.

Why is it true?(I'll make it simple)

Just as a cat is a more specific incarnation of the abstract notion called "Animal"; a Nigerian, African American, Oromo, Afro Brazilian, etc are more specific incarnations of the abstract notion called "African". This African is simply an umbrella term for a collection of histories and cultures or what is commonly called heritage.
I.E If your a "black man" in the U.S and you know your folks have been there since the enslavement days you should also know your an African(a specific incarnation of one ...to be specific). Now if they acknowledge that or not is on them(shrugs)

Need another abstract example? Here you go

Why is that "ultimately irrelevant"?
Cause the purpose of the DNA test isn't to let you "know you're African" or not undecided
(Note: this is the nonsense I'm talking about people! You can't just claim that a person did something the person never did then attack them on the grounds of the fictitious claim)

Nyumba: ...and probably (99% of the possibilities) the results are fckd up, like "You are Mande from Sierra Leone, Mandinka from Senegal ( Senegal is mostly Wolof) and Igbo from Nigeria"... these results are a joke...

Again...
1. The DNA test do exactly what the company says it does. (If they don't please show me evidence to the contrary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6pRVRquljI

You can keep attempting to tip toe around Dr. Rick Kittles explanation above on how the system works but until you deal with what is before you...
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 11:54pm On Dec 13, 2013
mmm... Do you know that many white people travel to Africa, especially French-spaking Africa, than they place there, and then they start calling theirself Africans?

It's so simple. You can go in any random francophone West Africa town and you'll find a white man or woman, like Bobo-Dioulasso for example, in Burkina Faso.

And they call themself Africans, and they speak the local language. Weird? Senegal is full of European residents.

Touba saint city of Senegal, a foreigner speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GDzCIVWFhw
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 1:07am On Dec 14, 2013
Nyumba: mmm... Do you know that many white people travel to Africa, especially French-spaking Africa, than they place there, and then they start calling theirself Africans?

It's so simple. You can go in any random francophone West Africa town and you'll find a white man or woman, like Bobo-Dioulasso for example, in Burkina Faso...

True, but ultimately irrelevant.

Why is it true?(I'll make it simple)

Because those people actually exist and I can also go to many Anglophone countries and find the same things from the spawn of colonist. They are free as sentient beings to call themselves whatever they want, same as I'm free to call them what they are ...part of the European branch of humanity who are citizens of African countries.

Again...

Just as a cat is a more specific incarnation of the abstract notion called "Animal"; a Nigerian, African American, Oromo, Afro Brazilian, etc are more specific incarnations of the abstract notion called "African". This "African" is simply an umbrella term for a collection of histories and cultures or what is commonly called heritage.

Those Europeans may intersect those histories and cultures but they are not of those histories and cultures which stretch down through history into the Green Sahara and beyond not reconnecting back to east Africa for something like 60kys. Now if someone doesn't agree with that assessment ...so be it(shrugs)

Cause the purpose of the DNA test isn't to let you "know you're African" or not undecided
(Note: this is the nonsense I'm talking about people! You can't just claim that a person did something the person never did then attack them on the grounds of the fictitious claim)

Nyumba: ...and probably (99% of the possibilities) the results are fckd up, like "You are Mande from Sierra Leone, Mandinka from Senegal ( Senegal is mostly Wolof) and Igbo from Nigeria"... these results are a joke...

Again...

You can keep attempting to tip toe around Dr. Rick Kittles explanation above on how the system works but until you deal with what is before you ...

[/quote]
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 1:52am On Dec 14, 2013
Let's put aside the DNA tests.

François, a French became Malian, with a Malian citizenship, that speaks Bambara and even a bit of Fula, with a Malian wife, 2 kids etc... is less African that Kenye West, that can't say me the difference between Luanda and Rwanda? Is that what you are trying to say me?
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 3:10am On Dec 14, 2013
Nyumba: Let's put aside the DNA tests.

François, a French became Malian, with a Malian citizenship, that speaks Bambara and even a bit of Fula, with a Malian wife, 2 kids etc... is less African that Kenye West, that can't say me the difference between Luanda and Rwanda? Is that what you are trying to say me?

No

Why?:
1. Because that is my point of contention.
2. Because the rest of that is "ultimately irrelevant"

RandomAfricanAm:

Again...

You can keep attempting to tip toe around Dr. Rick Kittles explanation above on how the system works but until you deal with what is before you ...

Note: We can agree to disagree on the DNA(or anything for that matter) I don't want to **win** I want resolution. I don't do "academic debates" I have conversations with people.
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 4:08am On Dec 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Aww! That's a cute name. Means 'good God'. Chi - God. Oma - good. smiley
Yes the meaning of my birth name has a similar meaning.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 5:58am On Dec 14, 2013
RandomAfricanAm,

Please ignore arguing with him. On this forum, you'll meet people who will say that 1 + 1 = 1 and will argue it with all the energy and furor they can muster.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. No matter his opposing views to DNA testing, DNA testing still remains the best and stands the test of time.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 7:23am On Dec 14, 2013
My personal favorite are people who will argue that 1 + 1 = 2 when you state 6 - 4 = 2. Now that is a whole nother level of funk and also why I didn't want to indulge the who is a real African discussion he was going for. Not that I don't want to have it but because there are some base assumptions that have to be accounted for before you go in and not everyone is upto those interrelated discussions as partly described in the arithmetic statement above

As my English TA once said you can compare apples to oranges but you have to **first agree on what aspect is being compared**
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 7:56pm On Dec 14, 2013
And what if you find out you're not Igbo?
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 9:36pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nyumba: And what if you find out you're not Igbo?

Elaborate please
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 1:58am On Dec 15, 2013
RandomAfricanAm:

Elaborate please
if the test says you're 100% Akan of Southern Ghana and Ivory Coast, are you ready to leave Igbos and all Igbo related stuff? This is why it's better to avoid these tests, they give you a mission to fulfill, "reconnect with your ancestors in any way", the random ancestors the test chose.

Ancestors are decided by your clan, I have a clan (it's different from the surname) and they are my ancestors, if you marry an African woman then you'll be able to take her clan since you have nothing in your father side, it's easy. Or if you have an Afrian best friend, you pass a lot of time with his family etc etc, than you'll probably become part of the family and they'll accept you in the clan. This will define your African nationality and ethnicity, not a DNA test.

Akan "Akrafena" sword

Akan "Adinkra" symbols

Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 2:39am On Dec 15, 2013
Nyumba:
if the test says you're 100% Akan of Southern Ghana and Ivory Coast , are you ready to leave Igbos and all Igbo related stuff?

Nice pics, I like the architectural style of the traditional homes myself.

OK Back on track...

That would never happen.

Why would that never happen?
Because the purpose of the test isn't to tell you if you're %100 [insert African ethnic group here].

OK then what is the purpose of the test?
The purpose of the DNA test is to do exactly what the company says it does. (If they don't please show me evidence to the contrary)

Side note: Why would an Igbo leave if the test came back noting %100 Akan?
The database does describe the maternal/paternal DNA compositions of people in the surveyed ethnic groups.
The database doesn't prescribe the maternal/paternal DNA compositions of people in the surveyed ethnic groups.
If an Igbo came up with an "Akan" sequence then that would simply mean there are Igbo out there that share Genetic markers with the Akan.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 4:54pm On Dec 15, 2013
ooook

But keep in mind that there is culture and rich history is in any corner of Africa

For example, what about Cameroon?

Lamidat (kingdom) of Rey Bouba | The lamibé (people) of Rey Bouba are mainly mixed Fulani and Mboum, and the religion is Islam mixed with local beliefs (like in any African country under the Sahara, starting from Senegal)

Walls of the Palace of the Lamido (king)

western documentary about the kingdom (really biased, take the info there with a grain of salt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyBbn7dVYko

Lamidat (kingdom) of Ngaoundéré | The lamibé (people) of Ngaoundéré are mainly mixed Fulani and Mboum, and the religion is Islam mixed with local beliefs

Palace of the Lamido (king)

Cerimony in the Palace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_8h0sVTIQ
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 6:52pm On Dec 15, 2013
[size=16pt]Bamiléké Chiefdoms[/size]

Bafoussam Chiefdom

Bafou Chiefdom

Bamendjou Chiefdom

Batoufam Chiefdom

[img]http://cameroun.unblog.fr/files/2011/03/batoufam1.jpg[/img]

"Le Kho" used for communication throughout the village

[img]http://cameroun.unblog.fr/files/2011/03/adsc08531.jpg[/img]

His Majesty Chief Nayang Toukam Innocent

The Chiefdom website
http://www.batoufam.org

Bandjoun Chiefdom

Baham Chiefdom

Bamendjinda Chiefdom

Bangwa Chiefdom

Bafut Chiefdom

etc. etc. etc.
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 11:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
ooook

But keep in mind that there is culture and rich history is in any corner of Africa

For example, what about Cameroon?

1. Those are beautiful pictures I love the structures. smiley

2. Tthe diaspora goes all around Africa for history & culture
see: https://www.nairaland.com/1455678/african-americans-africa-find-claim

3. Cameroon is very welcoming to the diaspora. smiley

African Americans visting...

Cameroon(Tikar focus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65w0Gsp9g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57S69g0Rb5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgByrT9MY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBZpbQZ_7e4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqNN-M9kcpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbnNO2LD3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRhyiyRPKA

3. What does any of this have to do with any aspect of the DNA test?

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 4:17am On Dec 16, 2013
Nothing, it's only to show how much there is in Africa, stuff the majority of people in the West never saw and will never see.

In your thread "African Americans in Africa" you showed a girl in Rwanda adding "don't mind her hairs". You are right, AA women relax their hairs until they become like those of whites, really unnatural, I never saw an African woman with hairs like that. I hope she's starting to return natural, because in Rwanda that look is freak.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 4:36am On Dec 16, 2013
Ghana is not only Akan, there are many ethnicities in the country.

Wa Na Palace, in the northern town of Wa

Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 6:25am On Dec 16, 2013
True though at this point I fear we have severely derailed the original posters thread sad
My apologies Glamrock kiss grin

Hey, if you're ever down south in Alabama stop by and I'll take ya out somewhere to make up for it cool

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by kokoa2008(f): 11:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
I'm from PA too. I'm waiting for the letter back from ancestry.com lol. hey girl! cheesy
Re: African Woman Living In American by cutiepie01(f): 7:46am On Jan 02, 2014
Yes, she looks calabar but she looks more Igbo, see her lips and her face+her skin tone. . . And don't forget Igbos were mostly taken as slaves back then cheesy

#TeamGOM
whats d meaning of GOM?
Re: African Woman Living In American by Mohammed77: 2:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
Do the three generations of this family look West or Central African or East African ( Somali or Ethiopian) ?

Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 5:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
Mohammed77: Do the three generations of this family look West or Central African or East African ( Somali or Ethiopian) ?

The first looks biracial. However, there are some Igbos who look that way with no admixture whatsoever.

The second looks more west african than the first.

The third also looks west african.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
In West Africa there are all the looks, for example many Beninese have an hooked nose, that's the same for some Nigerians in the West of the country. Hooked nose, flat nose, long nose, chinese-like eyes, you find everything in West Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! / A-Z Details About Your Chi (guardian Spirit/angel) / Watch White Choir Sing Yoruba Carol.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.