Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism (10826 Views)

Buratai Visits Onitsha, Tasks Army On Professionalism / Senator Dino Melaye And His Vintage Car Spotted In Maitama [photos] / IGP Says Police Is The Least Corrupt Of All Nigerian Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by onuleo(m): 11:48am On Oct 24, 2013
THE Police, Wednesday, released anti-corruption crusader, Dino Melaye, who was arrested after he led a protest against the Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Oduah over allegation that the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority,NCAA, purchased two BMW bullet-proof cars worth N255 million for her.

This is even as a pro-Oduah group, emerged from the Federal Ministry of Aviation, located at the Federal Secretariat, Abuja, with some armed hoodlums and attacked the protesters led by Melaye.

The former member of the House of Representatives, Thursday morning, said that the Commissioner of Police in FCT was very civil and exhibited professionalism in the discharge of police duties.

He said, “I was released about 5:30 pm; I was taken to the Department of Criminal Investigation, then taken back to the Commissioner of Police after keeping me for a while in the office of the Commissioner of Police (Operations).
Dino Melaye

Dino Melaye

“From there, I was moved to the Assistant Commissioner of Police (CID) and from there to the State Criminal Investigation Department; I was later transferred to CP.

“The man just said I should go. Nothing more, they didn’t ask me anything and that was all. He pleaded with me concerning the way the Area Commander treated me. I must confess that the CP in FCT was very civil and nice.”

Melaye, a former member of the House of Representatives, was picked around 12:55 pm, by a team of police men, from the FCT Police Command,led by one ASP Odukoya Sunday, in a police Hilux jeep with registration number: NPF 2128C.

His arrest came following his refusal to allow the police drive away some of the protesters which they had arrested on claims of obstruction of traffic and disturbance of public peace.

Melaye had entered his vehicle to leave the protest venue after rounding off, but when hinted that some of his supporters had been arrested by the police, he parked and rushed to the scene to plead for their release. When his pleas for the release of the protesters was rejected by the police, he then asked the driver of the Coaster Bus conveying some of the protesters not to move.

He asked the police to arrest him rather than going with the protesters, who he noted, were innocent Nigerians expressing their constitutional and fundamental rights.

Before his arrest by the police,Melaye and the protesters were fiercely confronted by the pro-Oduah group with dangerous weapons such as matchets, long knives and sticks, but the repeated pleas by Mr Melaye to his group to remain calm prevented the protest from degenerating into what could have resulted in serious injuries or possible death of some persons.

Placards, banners and hand bills bearing “Oduah must go”,”Jonathan,sack Odua over corruption”,”if it was Yar’Adua or Obasanjo, Oduah would have been sacked immediately,”were torn to shreds by the pro-Odua group.

While the protesters were chanting “Odua must go,” the pro-Odua group was chanting “Odua must stay.”

Journalists at the event were not spared by the pro-Odua group. The group attempted to seize some video camera.

Motorists, passers-by and onlookers were surprised at the turn of events given that the pro-Odua group carried dangerous weapons without any arrest or harassment by the police men.

The efforts of the hoodlums,Vanguard gathered,was aimed at frustrating the protest.

Reacting to yesterday’s incident, the Special Assistant to the Minister Mr Joe Obi said Melaye did not have the credibility to embark on a protest against his boss.

He asked: “In the first place how did Melaye realize the funds he used in purchasing the fleet of over 20 cars which are numbered serially in his name?
” Secondly, has he accounted for all the funds he collected when he was at the National Assembly?”

He continued: “Ever since he lost re-election into the National Assembly, he has been involved in this business of offering himself for hire to organize protests. He in turn hires other people who join him in embarking on his phoney protests. ”

He maintained that Melaye’s protests were never anchored on altruism
He continued: “I heard that there was some kind of disorder yesterday because he couldn’t pay those he hired to embark on the protest he led.

For now the Minister is only answerable to the National Assembly which has summoned her to come and explain the circumstances behind purchase of the two BMW security cars. The National Assembly was elected by the Nigerian people and the Minister is only answerable to that institution. “

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/dino-melaye-released-says-police-exhibited-professionalism/
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by onuleo(m): 11:49am On Oct 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by onuleo(m): 11:50am On Oct 24, 2013
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by slimming: 11:52am On Oct 24, 2013
He was treated careful becos is a former House member, ordinary Nigeria person will be detained and made to face prosecution.
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by holyvirgin: 11:56am On Oct 24, 2013
Height of frustration
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by FreeGlobe(f): 11:58am On Oct 24, 2013
slimming: He was treated careful becos is a former House member, ordinary Nigeria person will be detained and made to face prosecution.
I guess he has been warned. If he dares engage in another public disturbance then he will get what he wants. He should rather go and conduct a DNA test to prove paternity for his abandoned child

5 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by honeric01(m): 12:16pm On Oct 24, 2013
FreeGlobe:
I guess he has been warned. If he dares engage in another public disturbance then he will get what he wants. He should rather go and conduct a DNA test to prove paternity for his abandoned child

When are you going to start your own protest against your state government?

10 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by 1MCN: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2013
onuleo: Dino Melaye released, says
police exhibited
professionalism
on october 24, 2013 at 11:02 am in
news
ABUJA – THE Police, Wednesday,
released anti-corruption crusader,
Dino Melaye, who was arrested after
he led a protest against the Minister
of Aviation, Princess Stella Oduah
over allegation that the Nigeria Civil
Aviation Authority,NCAA, purchased
two BMW bullet-proof cars worth
N255 million for her.
This is even as a pro-Oduah group,
emerged from the Federal Ministry of
Aviation, located at the Federal
Secretariat, Abuja, with some armed
hoodlums and attacked the
protesters led by Melaye.
The former member of the House of
Representatives, Thursday morning,
said that the Commissioner of Police
in FCT was very civil and exhibited
professionalism in the discharge of
police duties.
He said, “I was released about 5:30
pm; I was taken to the Department
of Criminal Investigation, then taken
back to the Commissioner of Police
after keeping me for a while in the
office of the Commissioner of Police
(Operation)
“From there, I was moved to the
Assistant Commissioner of Police
(CID) and from there to the State
Criminal Investigation Department; I
was later transferred to CP.
“The man just said I should go.
Nothing more, they didn’t ask me
anything and that was all. He
pleaded with me concerning the way
the Area Commander treated me. I
must confess that the CP in FCT was
very civil and nice.”
Melaye, a former member of the
House of Representatives, was picked
around 12:55 pm, by a team of
police men, from the FCT Police
Command,led by one ASP Odukoya
Sunday, in a police Hilux jeep with
registration number: NPF 2128C.
His arrest came following his refusal
to allow the police drive away some
of the protesters which they had
arrested on claims of obstruction of
traffic and disturbance of public
peace.
Melaye had entered his vehicle to
leave the protest venue after
rounding off, but when hinted that
some of his supporters had been
arrested by the police, he parked
and rushed to the scene to plead for
their release. When his pleas for the
release of the protesters was
rejected by the police, he then asked
the driver of the Coaster Bus
conveying some of the protesters not
to move.
He asked the police to arrest him
rather than going with the
protesters, who he noted, were
innocent Nigerians expressing their
constitutional and fundamental
rights.
Before his arrest by the
police,Melaye and the protesters
were fiercely confronted by the pro-
Oduah group with dangerous
weapons such as matchets, long
knives and sticks, but the repeated
pleas by Mr Melaye to his group to
remain calm prevented the protest
from degenerating into what could
have resulted in serious injuries or
possible death of some persons.
Placards, banners and hand bills
bearing “Oduah must
go”,”Jonathan,sack Odua over
corruption”,”if it was Yar’Adua or
Obasanjo, Oduah would have been
sacked immediately,”were torn to
shreds by the pro-Odua group.
While the protesters were chanting
“Odua must go,” the pro-Odua group
was chanting “Odua must stay.”
Journalists at the event were not
spared by the pro-Odua group. The
group attempted to seize some video
camera.
Motorists, passers-by and onlookers
were surprised at the turn of events
given that the pro-Odua group
carried dangerous weapons without
any arrest or harassment by the
police men.
The efforts of the
hoodlums,Vanguard gathered,was
aimed at frustrating the protest.
Reacting to yesterday’s incident, the
Special Assistant to the Minister Mr
Joe Obi said Melaye did not have
the credibility to embark on a
protest against his boss.
He asked: “In the first place how did
Melaye realize the funds he used in
purchasing the fleet of over 20 cars
which are numbered serially in his
name?
” Secondly, has he accounted for all
the funds he collected when he was
at the National Assembly?”
He continued: “Ever since he lost
re-election into the National
Assembly, he has been involved in
this business of offering himself for
hire to organize protests. He in turn
hires other people who join him in
embarking on his phoney protests. ”
He maintained that Melaye’s
protests were never anchored on
altruism
He continued: “I heard that there
was some kind of disorder yesterday
because he couldn’t pay those he
hired to embark on the protest he
led.
For now the Minister is only
answerable to the National Assembly
which has summoned her to come
and explain the circumstances
behind purchase of the two BMW
security cars. The National Assembly
was elected by the Nigerian people
and the Minister is only answerable
to that institution. “
This reporter just canonized the Melaye-led protesters absolute Saints. Some people had the priviledge of watching the video clip of the protest and saw the both parties.
Again, Melaye also acquired a Bulletproof car while he enjoyed his short stay in the HoR. Maybe his protest is, 'Stella, why did you acquire a more expensive BPC?'
Did I hear about 20 cars?!

What I notice in this whole debacle is that the SR gave a very detailed report of the entire stuff and because of their too obvious ethno-tribal curvature, surreptitiously roped Mrs Oduah into it by saying she 'forced' the agency to acquire.... Trust me, if Fola Akin was the minister and Stella was the DG of NCAA, the reporters would rather call for the head of the NCAA DG! While I don't want to hold forte for Mrs Stella, it's obvious that the same people that champion this 'Remove Her Crusade' are the same people asking for the removal of almost all Igbo cabinet members (unfortunately, these Igbo cabinet members are among the best performing members).

I've learned that here on NL it's only marketable if it the label reads Igbos in bad light.

Melaye should explain how he automatically rose into a billionaire in 4years in the House.

Tell me what you like, but hear a clear truth.

23 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2013
honeric01:

When are you going to start your own protest against your state government?
Sycophants do not protest sir. They are always satisfy with the status quo.

2 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by omonla555: 1:31pm On Oct 24, 2013
Awon Igara Olosha, Ole

But why is this Oduah bearing thesame name with my ancestor Odua, though different spelling but same sound.

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2013
What should I do to this tribal sentiments on this thread. Just defacate on them on run.

By the way, I like the way the people of the right are responding to questions from the left.
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by omonla555: 1:38pm On Oct 24, 2013
1MCN:
This reporter just canonized the Melaye-led protesters absolute Saints. Some people had the priviledge of watching the video clip of the protest and saw the both parties.
Again, Melaye also acquired a Bulletproof car while he enjoyed his short stay in the HoR. Maybe his protest is, 'Stella, why did you acquire a more expensive BPC?'

What I notice in this whole debacle is that the SR gave a very detailed report of the entire stuff and because of their too obvious ethno-tribal curvature, surreptitiously roped Mrs Oduah into it by saying she 'forced' the agency to acquire.... Trust me, if Fola Akin was the minister and Stella was the DG of NCAA, the reporters would rather call for the head of the NCAA DG! While I don't want to hold forte for Mrs Stella, it's obvious that the same people that champion this 'Remove Her Crusade' are the same people asking for the removal of almost all Igbo cabinet members (unfortunately, these Igbo cabinet members are among the best performing members).

I've learned that here on NL it's only marketable if it the label reads Igbos in bad light.

Melaye should explain how he automatically rose into a billionaire in 4years in the House.

SW has the press, that is why our voices can be heared.
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by ajasa4link: 1:42pm On Oct 24, 2013
Nigeria is a tragicomedy drama

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by BabaEleko(m): 1:42pm On Oct 24, 2013
This is the first time i'm hearing "Nigeria Police" and "Professionalism" in the same sentence. shocked Something is very fishy and meaty!!!!

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by kekakuz(m): 1:44pm On Oct 24, 2013
they learnt the hard way fom yusufs case
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Phikom(m): 1:45pm On Oct 24, 2013
watching in HD plasma t.v....Nigeria Is a drama...we are on the stage....
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by DonHummer(m): 1:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
.this whole thing makes me laff,, a former house of rep member calling someone a thief, ..for me seems the lady stepped on toes nd thats the reason behind the turnout of events..
In naija as long as u are into politics u are a thief...no politician should open their mouth to accuse another...
if am the efcc chairman i dont even need to carry out any investigation on any politician,,as long as u once had a post u are going to jail for the sins u commited

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by devour129: 1:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
1MCN:

i liked your deduction but plz next time don't quote the whole topic

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
FreeGlobe:

Senseless

2 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by 1MCN: 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
omonla555:

SW has the press, that is why our voices can be heared.

That's true. But that's not a good reason to demonize a person or people. Am sure you'd agree with me that they've used that wrongly in most instances.

3 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Pacesetter2: 1:56pm On Oct 24, 2013
Some will accuse Dino for what he did and also accuse him of being corrupt yet nobody could file his case or reveal anything that made him corrupt. From my observation and what i've heard,Oduah's corruption is permitted because some tag her working ***spits on thread and runs to next topi***

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
Nigerians really are silly people. Some dumbass calls you out for a protest you know little or nothing about and you take ur silly ass there. The effects of unemployment and laziness though. Dino should dtop seeking cheap publicity. He won't make his kids kids proud
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Ebubemg(m): 1:59pm On Oct 24, 2013
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Tunapa9ja: 2:09pm On Oct 24, 2013
Must we always bring Tribal sentiments into all our comments;what has the above report got to do with tribalism?

WAZOBIA :WE ARE ONE.

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:09pm On Oct 24, 2013
Delivery Man: Nigerians really are silly people. Some dumbass calls you out for a protest you know little or nothing about and you take ur silly ass there. The effects of unemployment and laziness though. Dino should dtop seeking cheap publicity. He won't make his kids kids proud
Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by OlowoB(m): 2:30pm On Oct 24, 2013
FreeGlobe:

What has his personal life got 2 do with d issue on ground? Pls stop taking panandol for another man's headache (dats even if he has any headache)

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by OlowoB(m): 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2013
Delivery Man: Nigerians really are silly people. Some dumbass calls you out for a protest you know little or nothing about and you take ur silly ass there. The effects of unemployment and laziness though. Dino should dtop seeking cheap publicity. He won't make his kids kids proud

And I am sure u are a ghanian? U should re-read wat u wrote and u would seed dat u are d confirmed SILLY he-goat.

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by ifyalways(f): 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2013
From CID to CP to CID back to CP. Which "probe" could be worst than this ? tongue

Lol

3 Likes

Re: Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism by McLuhan(m): 2:35pm On Oct 24, 2013
It is rather curious that the police arrested Mr Melaye but left his machete-wielding opponents. While I have absolutely no sympathy for the former legislator and while I remain unconvinced about the altruism of his motives, I am nonetheless repulsed by the open bias exhibited by the police team ostensibly sent to maintain order during the protests. When will our police officers learn that they are not appendages to political office holders and that they should not feel beholden to one party in a conflict?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Leads Security Team To MALABO / ICPC Statement On The Corruption Perceptions Index 2019 / I’m Not Leaving Labour Party, Obi Replies NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.