Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes (952 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Glamrock(f): 2:55pm On Oct 24, 2013
Hello ALL! This is my second post in this site and in my first I explained a little about me and my situation. I would love to learn how to cook and try some cultural african foods that I don't get the chance to eat here in America. The food in Africa looks so good, pure, and natural! If anyone can share some simple/easy recipes for starters that would be greatly appreciated! I may or may not have a hard time finding some of the ingredients here so I say simple or easy for starters undecided I'll try anything you would like to share: drinks, soups, small dishes, sauces. This is another way for me to connect with my roots. grin
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by eduson33(m): 3:01pm On Oct 24, 2013
You'll have to spend the next summer holi in my house. wink

1 Like

Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by dasparrow: 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2013
eduson33: You'll have to spend the next summer holi in my house. wink

angry

Oga park well oh cheesy
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by dasparrow: 3:08pm On Oct 24, 2013
Glamrock: Hello ALL! This is my second post in this site and in my first I explained a little about me and my situation. I would love to learn how to cook and try some cultural african foods that I don't get the chance to eat here in America. The food in Africa looks so good, pure, and natural! If anyone can share some simple/easy recipes for starters that would be greatly appreciated! I may or may not have a hard time finding some of the ingredients here so I say simple or easy for starters undecided I'll try anything you would like to share: drinks, soups, small dishes, sauces. This is another way for me to connect with my roots. grin

If you are truly an African, your mom who I suppose is an African woman born and bred in one of the numerous countries in Africa should be able to teach you. Alternatively, take a look at some of the threads here in the food section. They offer various recipes and you can take it from there.
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Glamrock(f): 3:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
dasparrow:

If you are truly an African, your mom who I suppose is an African woman born and bred in one of the numerous countries in Africa should be able to teach you. Alternatively, take a look at some of the threads here in the food section. They offer various recipes and you can take it from there.

Thankyou we are african but we live in America so my mother wouldn't know. My ancestors are from Africa so I would be too had not they been taken off the coast on slave ships .
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Gboliwe: 3:31pm On Oct 24, 2013
Glamrock:

Thankyou we are african but we live in America so my mother wouldn't know. My ancestors are from Africa so I would be too had not they been taken off the coast on slave ships .
do u have any food in mind?
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by kelvin1191(m): 3:42pm On Oct 24, 2013
Which part of Africa are u 4rm? BITTERLEAF SOUP
INGREDIENTS=ù
>>bitterleaf (washed)
>>Banga (palm fruit)
>>Cocoa-yam or yam
>>pepper
>>salt
>>ogiri or dawa-dawa or okpehi (this one aroma na die and without it d soup is incomplete. Na local seasoning)
>>Seasoning (tell them make them give u maggi cos na it dey make sense pass)
>>fish
>>meat
>>cryfish
>>okporoko,snail, bush-meat(optional: make u tell them say u nee Anu-Nchi cos na it dey make sense pass)
I wil be back on how to prepare it if only u want to go through d stress. Note: its a special delicacy for d pple of Eastern Nigeria.
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Glamrock(f): 4:53pm On Oct 24, 2013
Gboliwe:
do u have any food in mind?

No I don't really know of any , anything you have to offer I'll try it's all new to me
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Glamrock(f): 4:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
kelvin1191: Which part of Africa are u 4rm? BITTERLEAF SOUP
INGREDIENTS=ù
>>bitterleaf (washed)
>>Banga (palm fruit)
>>Cocoa-yam or yam
>>pepper
>>salt
>>ogiri or dawa-dawa or okpehi (this one aroma na die and without it d soup is incomplete. Na local seasoning)
>>Seasoning (tell them make them give u maggi cos na it dey make sense pass)
>>fish
>>meat
>>cryfish
>>okporoko,snail, bush-meat(optional: make u tell them say u nee Anu-Nchi cos na it dey make sense pass)
I wil be back on how to prepare it if only u want to go through d stress. Note: its a special delicacy for d pple of Eastern Nigeria.

Mmmm tongue that sounds good , my ancestors were from west africa I'm learning more and more as time passes about them and many things of the African culture, I'm currently in the process of traces my roots and family back in the motherland. I'm taking notes this looks like a yummy recipe

1 Like

Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Tarbabee(f): 8:40pm On Oct 24, 2013
4 tomatoes chopped
1 red (purple) onion chopped
1 habanero pepper chopped

cook these ingredient with any boullion cube; fish, chicken, etc. to taste. Add cooked pre-packaged or fresh bite size chopped mustard or collard greens.

After cooked down add 5 eggs OR 1 lb of shrimp OR any meat you prefer. Serve over rice or noodles.

This I've found to be the most basic & the best I can do because I'm a terrible cook smiley

1 Like

Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Tarbabee(f): 8:45pm On Oct 24, 2013
P.S. Some of the ingredients Africans use aren't readily available to us in the U.S. Sometimes substitution is needed or find a GOOD Africa store. I have 2 within a mile in my little suburb grin
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Glamrock(f): 8:46pm On Oct 24, 2013
Tarbabee: 4 tomatoes chopped
1 red (purple) onion chopped
1 habanero pepper chopped

cook these ingredient with any boullion cube; fish, chicken, etc. to taste. Add cooked pre-packaged or fresh bite size chopped mustard or collard greens.

After cooked down add 5 eggs OR 1 lb of shrimp OR any meat you prefer. Serve over rice or noodles.

This I've found to be the most basic & the best I can do because I'm a terrible cook smiley

Yes it's basic but sounds delicious ! I can't wait to try this, this may be the first one I try THANKYOU!!
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Glamrock(f): 8:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
Tarbabee: P.S. Some of the ingredients Africans use aren't readily available to us in the U.S. Sometimes substitution is needed or find a GOOD Africa store. I have 2 within a mile in my little suburb grin

Yeah I know cry that's the only thing trying to find everything I need here. We have everything I need for the recipe you gave me so that's great to start! I will do the best with what I have smiley
Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 25, 2013
Hi,

Hope you're doing good! :-) Would love to help out with some of the African/Nigerian cuisine I know how to prepare. Can't post my mail here for privacy reasons so it'll be nice if you could just reply to the NL message sent to your inbox, thanks.

Have a blessed day hun!

2 Likes

Re: African Female Living In America Wanting To Learn African Recipes by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 25, 2013
Adamma kiss

#TeamGOM

(1) (Reply)

Valentine Lovefair / Blog On Various Indigenous Spices And Herbs In Nigeria. A Lesson For Bloggers / 5 Healthy Reasons Why You Should Eat Cucumbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.