Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure (5321 Views)

I Have Fulfilled My Promise On Power Sector - Jonathan / FG Signs Mou With Chinese Companies On Power Transmission / 248 Containers Of Power Transmission Equipment Sat At Apapa Port For 11 YEARS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 25, 2013
The Federal Government will spend $2.86bn (N457.6bn) between now and 2017 in order to give the nation a power transmission infrastructure that can carry 16,000 megawatts of electricity.

The Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, said this in Abuja on Tuesday at a news conference on the performance of the economy, especially following the successful sale of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria’s successor companies.

Maku said a transmission expansion blue print prepared by the Presidential Action Committee on Power had committed the government to a transmission capacity of 16,000MW.

He said the government was committed to funding the programme, which will cost $2.86bn, listing the sources of funding as the African Development Bank, $150m; World Bank, $290m; and Eurobond of $150m.

Other funding sources are a $500m loan from the China Export Import Bank; proceeds from the sale of the National Integrated Power Plants, $1.6bn; and budgetary appropriation, $170m.

Announcing that the end of darkness was near in Nigeria, Maku said different steps taken by the government would soon begin to yield results, but pleaded with the citizens to exercise some patience as time was still needed to usher in a new era.

He said, “The distribution companies are going to ensure that there are meters and the meters will be prepaid so that nobody will come and charge you for darkness, which was the case in the past. You buy your credit and when it finishes, your light goes off. You don’t need anybody to come and disconnect you.

“You can be sure now that you will pay for every light you use. People will ensure that they put off light that they don’t need. The importance of this is that the power you don’t use will go to the industry. When you waste electricity, it is a national waste, not just to the person that is paying for it. If you save it, it goes into production.

“Government will subsidise power for the poor people. The rural dwellers and poor urban dwellers; there is a subsidy for you. In the course of the new tariff, which will come in the beginning of the market, the tariff will not take electricity beyond the capacity of the poor people. It is the bridge to ensure that everybody has access to electricity.”
http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-to-spend-n457bn-on-power-transmission-infrastructure/
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by otokx(m): 6:33am On Oct 25, 2013
Everything always looks good on paper but Mr. Maku 2017 is far away.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 25, 2013
16,000mw is a more realistic target than the ridiculous 160,000mw spewed by another media house.

5 Likes

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by ebamma(m): 7:16am On Oct 25, 2013
i was here
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 25, 2013
Long overdue. I don't even know what to say more than Fresh air thingz.

APC goons over to you

3 Likes

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Sllowppoisoon: 9:26am On Oct 25, 2013
#FreshAirTinz grin
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Sundahjoe(m): 9:27am On Oct 25, 2013
Keeping finger crossed. But i will never loose hope on Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan: 16,000mw is a more realistic target than the ridiculous 160,000mw spewed by another media house.

I think what he said was 16000mw, don't mind this Mods that just move anything to FP.

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Ayohbk(m): 9:29am On Oct 25, 2013
Lolz...naso dem go chop our moni finish

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by dheaven: 9:32am On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan: 16,000mw is a more realistic target than the ridiculous 160,000mw spewed by another media house.
yes you are right
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by UyiIredia(m): 9:50am On Oct 25, 2013
They said better and had a lot nore money in OBJ's time. I will remain skeptical till I see the money's result.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by XVIER(m): 9:55am On Oct 25, 2013
pay all phcn workers their severance payments first because i fore see massacre in this country if not paid. thank you.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 25, 2013
Our Hopes are high. God bless Nigeria.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Greatihex(m): 9:58am On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan: The Federal Government will spend $2.86bn (N457.6bn) between now and 2017 in order to give the nation a power transmission infrastructure that can carry 16,000 megawatts of electricity.

The Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, said this in Abuja on Tuesday at a news conference on the performance of the economy, especially following the successful sale of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria’s successor companies.

Maku said a transmission expansion blue print prepared by the Presidential Action Committee on Power had committed the government to a transmission capacity of 16,000MW.

He said the government was committed to funding the programme, which will cost $2.86bn, listing the sources of funding as the African Development Bank, $150m; World Bank, $290m; and Eurobond of $150m.

Other funding sources are a $500m loan from the China Export Import Bank; proceeds from the sale of the National Integrated Power Plants, $1.6bn; and budgetary appropriation, $170m.

Announcing that the end of darkness was near in Nigeria, Maku said different steps taken by the government would soon begin to yield results, but pleaded with the citizens to exercise some patience as time was still needed to usher in a new era.

He said, “The distribution companies are going to ensure that there are meters and the meters will be prepaid so that nobody will come and charge you for darkness, which was the case in the past. You buy your credit and when it finishes, your light goes off. You don’t need anybody to come and disconnect you.

“You can be sure now that you will pay for every light you use. People will ensure that they put off light that they don’t need. The importance of this is that the power you don’t use will go to the industry. When you waste electricity, it is a national waste, not just to the person that is paying for it. If you save it, it goes into production.

“Government will subsidise power for the poor people. The rural dwellers and poor urban dwellers; there is a subsidy for you. In the course of the new tariff, which will come in the beginning of the market, the tariff will not take electricity beyond the capacity of the poor people. It is the bridge to ensure that everybody has access to electricity.”
http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-to-spend-n457bn-on-power-transmission-infrastructure/
. First page tins. Live is good wt fresh air. Up GEJ
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by dridowu: 9:59am On Oct 25, 2013
4yrs time ? Ok its a matter of days**********let c if ds will work**********
Promhize:

I think what he said was 16000mw, don't mind this Mods that just move anything to FP.
my bro u are wrong d minister said 160000mw not 16000mw ; so leave d mod out of ds http://thenationonlineng.net/new/minister-work-towards-160000mw-next-year/ http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/24206-160,000-mw-possible-by-2014-minister.html http://sunnewsonline.net/news/minister-says-160000mw-possible-by-2014
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Greatihex(m): 9:59am On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan: The Federal Government will spend $2.86bn (N457.6bn) between now and 2017 in order to give the nation a power transmission infrastructure that can carry 16,000 megawatts of electricity.

. First page tins. Live is good wt fresh air. Up GEJ
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 25, 2013

Well said. However do you think it will meet our industrial and domestic needs say, ten years down the line?

I think the real issue here is the over-dependence on the FG-controlled national grid for power supply. What we need to do going forward is to decentralize the power generation and distribution process to allow states, local governments and private individuals generate, transmit and distribute their own power within defined geographical spaces.

Nations that boast of adequate power supply don't leave all the work to the central government.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Dee60: 10:12am On Oct 25, 2013
Before or after privatisation?
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Kaxmytex(m): 10:18am On Oct 25, 2013
Wetin go kum apun 2 ASUU strike

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by DrDoGood1(m): 10:20am On Oct 25, 2013
I will come back to comment, make I send my work report first.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Zutchy: 10:21am On Oct 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

Well said. However do you think it will meet our industrial and domestic needs say, ten years down the line?

I think the real issue here is the over-dependence on the FG-controlled national grid for power supply. What we need to do going forward is to decentralize the power generation and distribution process to allow states, local governments and private individuals generate, transmit and distribute their own power within defined geographical spaces.

Nations that boast of adequate power supply don't leave all the work to the central government.

This Government has already done what you said. They have PRIVATISED the process of generation and distribution of power.
The new NIPP power plants and existing hydro stations will all be handed over to the new succesful generation companies while new private distribution companies have been handed certificates to take over the distribution process.

The transmission segment is what is in issue here. Experts have warned that it will be risky to hand over transmission to private sector. That FG needs to retain control of our transmission backbone so that the private sector players will not form a cartel and hold the entire nation to ransome.

For efficiency however, transmission will be subjected to a management contract under Manitoba hydro. This will enable them manage it well while ownership has not changed hands

3 Likes

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

That, dear sir, is the crux of the matter.
But who will speak for us?
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Maduale: 10:26am On Oct 25, 2013
GEJ's govt is really working well in delivering governance to the power sector. I salute the level of work going on there.
Its very visible even to the blind and audible to the deaf. The transformation in power sector will be very strategic to overall national development.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Goddex: 10:27am On Oct 25, 2013

The man said 16,000MW, the low-brain journalist reported 160,000MW
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Mandelaguy(m): 10:32am On Oct 25, 2013
Goddex:

The man said 16,000MW, the low-brain journalist reported 160,000MW

We seem to have a lot of them(low brain journalists) around these days. It's becoming increasingly irritating and a disservice to the proffession. Whatever has happened to investigative journalism.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Arobam: 10:40am On Oct 25, 2013
I believe strongly that the electricity sector is one key area that GEJ will transform. I'm impressed by the strategy adopted so far in addressing age long darkness in Nigeria. The reforms appear very revolutionary and if you have lived in UK before, you would appreciate that FG is on the right track.

This is how the system works over there. There is nothing like a central power corporation like PHCN in UK. The process is decentralized with private sector companies driving generation and distribution.
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by misslaw(f): 10:43am On Oct 25, 2013
i hop dis wnt b one of our stopd forgoten project
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by paj4love: 10:45am On Oct 25, 2013
A welcome development.. .. Fresh oyi till 2019
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 25, 2013
Zutchy:

This Government has already done what you said. They have PRIVATISED the process of generation and distribution of power.
The new NIPP power plants and existing hydro stations will all be handed over to the new succesful generation companies while new private distribution companies have been handed certificates to take over the distribution process.

The transmission segment is what is in issue here. Experts have warned that it will be risky to hand over transmission to private sector. That FG needs to retain control of our transmission backbone so that the private sector players will not form a cartel and hold the entire nation to ransome.

For efficiency however, transmission will be subjected to a management contract under Manitoba hydro. This will enable them manage it well while ownership has not changed hands

Okay... My point was just that we cannot realistically expect our power needs as a country to be met by the FG only.

Meanwhile governors of Rivers and Akwa Ibom states are still complaining that they can't distribute the power that they generate. Why is that?
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by Bukkyade: 10:48am On Oct 25, 2013
otokx: Everything always looks good on paper but Mr. Maku 2017 is far away.

It is a realistic and feasible target. I commend Maku for telling us the truth about the timelines. Given the nature of work to be done on our power grid, it will take 2-3 years to complete it. But the good thing is that they have already started doing something already that will evacuate almost about 5,000MW that will be generated by the new GENCOS in 2014. I have friend that works with a Sri lankan firm that is handling the one of the Transmisdion lines and she revealed to me the intensity of work and progress on site.

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by awodman: 10:50am On Oct 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

You may or may not have heard about the Rural Electrification Agency..What you proposed is the mandate of the board.They are to make sure that areas not covered by the National grid can have sources of Off-grid power like in the north they will use the Wind Mills.The minister of power have inaugurated the board and serious work is ongoing in that regard
Re: FG To Spend N457bn On Power Transmission Infrastructure by awodman: 10:53am On Oct 25, 2013
Bukkyade:

It is a realistic and feasible target. I commend Maku for telling us the truth about the timelines. Given the nature of work to be done on our power grid, it will take 2-3 years to complete it. But the good thing is that they have already started doing something already that will evacuate almost about 5,000MW that will be generated by the new GENCOS in 2014. I have friend that works with a Sri lankan firm that is handling the one of the Transmisdion lines and she revealed to me the intensity of work and progress on site.
what's the name of the firm and which area of the country are they handling..Do you know the capacity of the line they are constructing?..Thanks for your response

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Government. Plans To Deposit Huge Sum Into Jega’s Account — APC / Obama Is A Traitor- Barack Obama's Elder Brother. / Reps Member Finally Locates The Fish Seller In A Viral Coronavirus Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.