Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos (14823 Views)

Cholera Outbreak Claim 20 Lives In Ebonyi / Another Cholera Outbreak Hits Bayelsa State, Death Toll Now 36 / Cholera Outbreak : 74 Confirmed Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Lilimax(f): 8:59am On Oct 25, 2013
An unnamed female food vendor of African salad, otherwise known as Abacha at Cele Bus-stop junction, suspected to have been the primary source of contamination of the reported cholera cases in Oshodi/Isolo Local Government Area of Lagos, has been identified and is being investigated.

A source in the office of the Lagos State Epidemiology Unit and Disease Control, who preferred anonymity, confirmed that samples of suspected food preparations believed to have been consumed by most of the victims who came down with symptoms of cholera infection in the area, have been obtained for laboratory analysis.

It was gathered that laboratory samples have also been obtained from the vendor for analysis at the State Quality Control Laboratory, Ikeja, and the results are expected to be ready in few days.

“What I can tell you is that of all the cases so far identified, the greater percentage, about 70 per cent of those involved, consumed African salad sold by a food vendor at Cele junction.

Oshodi-Isolo Local Government Area officials are already making efforts to educate the vendor on the proper and hygienic way of food preparation,” the source stated.

The vendor, who is believed to be an agent of contamination, may not be infected. “She may exhibit no visible symptoms and yet be spreading the disease to others. So it is better to get samples from her, the food items, the water and other samples and send them to the lab.

If she is infected, she will be treated by the operation’s environmental unit,” the source affirmed.

On the suspected outbreak in Amuwo Odofin and Apapa local government areas, Vanguard gathered that the source of infection has also been traced to contaminated well water.

“Laboratory analyses gave isolated evidence that water in the area contained pathogens such as salmonella, streptococci and other bacteria capable of causing severe diarrhoea such as that witnessed. We are looking at treating the water in the area.

Vanguard gathered authoritatively that the immediate effort is to break the chain of the infection.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/lagos-identifies-investigates-suspected-sources-cholera/#sthash.5KqT9EYH.dpuf
http://www.nigerianpilot.com/cholera-spread-lagos-bans-african-salad/
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by topsy1971: 9:01am On Oct 25, 2013
How are we sure this woman is not workingt for Boko Haram?? Just asking..
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 9:14am On Oct 25, 2013
this same thing happened almost ten years ago when my sister and four of my neighbours ate african salad and they all fell sick. Although the sickness was not confirmed to be cholera but they were throwing up and stooling continuously and they were given intensive treatment at the hospital for more than a week. Lets be careful what we eat, either prepared by us or bought from food vendors. May God be with us.

3 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 9:16am On Oct 25, 2013
topsy1971: How are we sure this woman is not workingt for Boko Haram?? Just asking..
abeg jor.

@Topic, this in definitely not the best times to indulge in certain foods like salad(African or Oyibo) unless its prepared at home.

4 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 25, 2013
My friend had vegetable soup at a hotel less than two weeks ago. She's had diarrhea, fatigue, loss of appetite, and muscle aches since. She was taking Imodium at first but when to the doctor when no significant relief was noted. They're still doing tests but she said they're suspecting it. It's extremely frightening.

ifyalways: this in definitely not the best times to indulge in certain foods like salad(African or Oyibo) unless its prepared at home.

^^^ This. Not eating out in general sef.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gbanikiti(m): 9:29am On Oct 25, 2013
I thought cholera is a water borne disease? I suspect the contaminated "abacha" is food poisoning and not cholera. I stand to be corrected though.

2 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by spaq: 9:36am On Oct 25, 2013
This thing is spreading fast oo..

Tnk God i dont eat out..

I'v always knwn 'Abacha' is a very bad thing..
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gbanikiti(m): 9:37am On Oct 25, 2013
ogugua88: My friend had vegetable soup at a hotel less than two weeks ago. She's had diarrhea, fatigue, loss of appetite, and muscle aches since. She was taking Imodium at first but when to the doctor when no significant relief was noted. They're still doing tests but she said they're suspecting it. It's extremely frightening.

Your friend is definitely suffering from food poisoning. Cholera and food poisoning have similar symptoms. Cholera is deadlier though.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 9:49am On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: I thought cholera is a water borne disease? I suspect the contaminated "abacha" is food poisoning and not cholera. I stand to be corrected though.

Abacha is made with purely raw,uncooked ingredients. Cholera germs spread when food is prepared,touched,washed or handled with untreated contaminated water/hands. I hope you can now connect the dots. . .

ogugua88:

True.
Sea foods must be well cooked and eaten hot. Vegetables and meat well cooked. Fruits peeled and washed with uncontaiminated water.

2 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 9:51am On Oct 25, 2013
spaq: This thing is spreading fast oo..

Tnk God i dont eat out..

I'v always knwn 'Abacha' is a very bad thing..
How has abacha always been a bad thing?

1 Like

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gurnam: 9:54am On Oct 25, 2013
I saw some guys eating it with so much relish here around Tin - Can Island ports yesterday...

Am sorry to say, but anytime I see it...it's looks so much disgusting to me...maybe because of the excessive red oil.

Things like that should be strictly eaten in the comfort of your home..prepared by a trusted hand.

3 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gbanikiti(m): 10:07am On Oct 25, 2013
gurnam: I saw some guys eating it with so much relish here around Tin - Can Island ports yesterday...

Am sorry to say, but anytime I see it...it's looks so much disgusting to me...maybe because of the excessive red oil.

Things like that should be strictly eaten in the comfort of your home..prepared by a trusted hand.
and to think the "abacha" isn't difficult to prepare. Some people can't just wait to get home and eat home cooked abacha.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by doctokwus: 10:24am On Oct 25, 2013
Quite hasty conclusion in my opinion;sounds more like d typical nigerian way of making decisions based on hear-say.
-They cudnt av collected samples of d abacha in question because am sure d cholera incidence(s) were not reported dat same day,days in which d woman must av exhausted her preparations on whc dey av hastily made a conclusion,so whc samples were tested that isolated d causative agent,though history itself I agree is quite important.
-Evn if d lady was d presumed source,cud it av come from her unhygienic handling while she was serving& not d "abacha" per se because dey av to conclusively prove in d first place that a cholera agent can thrive on dat particular preparation of abacha,knowing some agents don't thrive on particular meals
-Were d victims served from d same water source?Anoda possibility
-If pple cud see d way some food items are prepared in some bukas and eatery joints,pple wud b surprised that outbreaks are still minimal.
What d govt shud do is not to rush into dis kind of conclusion,if not,it may end up missing d real source whc may end up creating more havoc.

8 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:28am On Oct 25, 2013
False title.

1 Like

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by gurnam: 10:28am On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: and to think the "abacha" isn't difficult to prepare. Some people can't just wait to get home and eat home cooked abacha.

I don't eat outside....it has never been my way. I will rather take a bottle of soft drink to hold belle... grin
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Ruchidera(f): 10:28am On Oct 25, 2013
doctokwus: Quite hasty conclusion in my opinion;sounds more like d typical nigerian way of making decisions based on hear-say.
-They cudnt av collected samples of d abacha in question because am sure d cholera incidence(s) were not reported dat same day,days in which d woman must av exhausted her preparations on whc dey av hastily made a conclusion,so whc samples were tested that isolated d causative agent,though history itself I agree is quite important.
-Evn if d lady was d presumed source,cud it av come from her unhygienic handling while she was serving& not d "abacha" per se because dey av to conclusively prove in d first place that a cholera agent can thrive on dat particular preparation of abacha,knowing some agents don't thrive on particular meals
-Were d victims served from d same water source?Anoda possibility
-If pple cud see d way some food items are prepared in some bukas and eatery joints,pple wud b surprised that outbreaks are still minimal.
What d govt shud do is not to rush into dis kind of conclusion,if not,it may end up missing d real source whc may end up creating more havoc.
Well said!

1 Like

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Arosa(m): 10:38am On Oct 25, 2013
Abacha? let me google it, I have never eaten this shiite before.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:54am On Oct 25, 2013
To think that I'm preparing to make Abacha this morning. SMH!!

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Iceman296: 11:17am On Oct 25, 2013
..Abacha is Better When Prepared at Home Because It's Primarily Made-up Of Raw Ingredients!

2 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mods please help move this thread to fp please www.nairaland.com/1492393/klinefelter-patient...im-dying-inside
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
When I saw topic Abacha suspected source of ........I was like omg he's fighting us from his grave shocked.....then I clicked on topic,it's about African salad undecided

3 Likes

Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
yuck!
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
I was thinkig of abacha the former president.
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by dridowu: 12:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
Basic hygiene can save us from ds cholera
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Na person talk sey make una dey go "mama-poot" grin grin
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by sheniqua: 12:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
Let them not ban Abacha o
Re: 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos by Lilimax(f): 12:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
BushyA55.Banger:
I was thinkig of abacha the former president.
grin
They are talking about African salad popularly called abacha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Test 80million Nigerians For HIV / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? / Copied. Wif Was Tested HIV Positive While I Was Negative. How Possible Is This ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.