Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,179 members, 7,780,250 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:18 AM

Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents (138872 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Common Nigerian Foods And Their Recipes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ProfessorD(m): 9:16am On Oct 25, 2013
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet:
Normal cholesterol intake per day is 300mg - if you have high cholesterol or high LDL -
cholesterol intake per day is to be 200mg or less.
How much is a serving? A serving is about the palm size of your hand. Shocking but true.
Basic Nigerian Dishes
The basic Egusi Soup enriched with few chunks of stockfish and two pieces of meat contains a total of roughly 700 calories per serving!!! Imagine eating it with about 3 wraps of pounded yam which is about 600 calories...
The largest food group it contains is Fat. Egusi is very high in fat content. It has about 60% fat. And imagine the more calories for those who love adding lots of palm oil to our egusi soup. It also
has about 11 percent carbohydrates.Proteins make up 30 percent while other elements make up the rest. Cholesterol - 306mg.

Okra Soup

Okra soup with about one or two pieces of fish and a minimal amount of palm oil would be very good. Okra soup alone contains about 105 calories only per serving. Here is a summary of what it contains:
Okra has about 2.8g of Fibre per serving, 3g of Fat, 4g of Carbohydrates and 11g of Protein. So for those trying to lose weight, why not try okra soup ALONE any time you are tempted to eat your
Pounded Yam or Eba.

Ewedu Soup
Ewedu is one of the good soups for weight loss. If you are looking for a low calorie meal, you can count on Ewedu, especially considering the fact that her brother Gbegiri is also low in calories. A serving of Ewedu alone without meat contains only 97 calories!
Let's break down each of the food groups:
Fat content of 4g out of which 10% is cholesterol.
The Carbohydrate content is 300mg (0.3g) and Protein is 18g. Ewedu comes first to mind. Ewedu leaves are also called Jew's mallow and have been used
for many medicinal purposes.

Snails

The calories in snail aren't always too accurate,because different snails come in different sizes.
This, however, is an estimate of the average snail which weighs about 100 grams. 1 snail contains
90 calories. Of this, 1g is fat, 16g is protein and Carbs comes to 2g. So while it is a healthy food; relatively low in Carbs and Fat, remember it's high in calories.

Fried Plantain

1 Slice of Fried plantain contains 68 calories

Wheat Flour

1 cup of wheat flour contains 455 calories and.the nutritional values are as follows.
Carbohydrates 96g, Protein 12.9g and Fat 1.2g.

Boiled or Roast Corn

A large corn cob between 7 to 9 inches in length contains 123 calories of which 80 percent is Carbohydrate. In a medium sized cob of corn, between 6 and 7 inches in length, you can expect about 88 calories and 80 percent Carbs. In a small corn cob, about 5.5 to 6 inches in length, there are about 63 calories.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ProfessorD(m): 9:34am On Oct 25, 2013
Calories in Eba/Garri
To calculate how many calories there are in your Eba or your raw Garri that you drink, here is the calorie content of a cup of Raw Garri. Garri has 360 calories of which 99% is carbohydrate

Pounded Yam (Iyan)

Iyan (Pounded Yam) is one of our highest calorie high carbohydrate foods. Imagine you are dividing the amount of pounded yam eaten into cups (milk tins), then one cup of pounded yam is about 400 calories. I doubt if anyone eats that small a serving, so if for instance you eat 2 milk
tin-sized balls of pounded yam, you are already at 800 calories. By the time you tot up the value of your soup, you are looking at a very high calorie meal indeed.

Indomie Noodles
Depending on the size; super pack is 640 calories and the average nigerian would double this

Tuwo (White Cornmeal)
One cup of white cornmeal (tuwo) is roughly 450 calories

Rice
A cup of raw white rice is 693 calories you can further increase that with the way you cook it

Beans
In Nigeria, Beans is one of our favourite meals. It is loved by weight loss experts because of itshigh protein content. A cup of beans is somewhere around 378 calories

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by devigblegble: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Am I the .... Omg

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by israel007: 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ok wetin person go chop wey wahala no go dey? Hunger strike go satisfy una abi

27 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Jayses(m): 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
J
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by nekaa(f): 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good to know... I think I will hold tightly to my ewedu now...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by jimkramar: 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
cheesy grin grin ;DI CANT BLIVE IT! MAY BE ITS BCUS I LUV FOOD THAT WAS Y I MADE IT TO FRONT PAGE ;DI CANT BLIVE IT! MAY BE ITS BCUS I LUV FOOD THAT WAS Y I MADE IT TO FRONT PAGE

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by airfinance(m): 5:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
na wa ooo,wetin person go come chop now wey all dis food get high calories so?abi water sef get?
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Sllowppoisoon: 5:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Snailzzzz tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by alaladakosta(f): 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
ok, u never see Hunger. na person wey don beleful dey calculate calories for food. shey na jamiu go take calculator dey find calories inside him bread and beans to calculate?

27 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Sllowppoisoon: 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
nekaa: Good to know... I think I will hold tightly to my ewedu now...

Typical Local gurl cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by jfkenny(m): 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
what's the meaning.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by xclusive43(m): 5:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for sharing tho....
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Thank you very much for this info. Age been looking for it.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by B3sty(m): 5:46pm On Oct 25, 2013
Time to stop taking G4....no wonder I look sumptuous!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by engrj(m): 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
CO-INCIDENCE OF LIFE: 1. CHURCH has 6 letters so does MOSQUE. 2. BIBLE has 5 letters so does QURAN. 3. LIFE has 4 letters so does DEAD. 4. HATE has 4 letters, so does LOVE. 5. ENEMIES has 7, so does FRIENDS. 6. LYING has 5, so does TRUTH. 7. HURT has 4, so does HEAL. 8. NEGATIVE has 8, so does POSITIVE. 9. FAILURE has 7, so does SUCCESS. 10. BELOW has 5, but so does ABOVE. 11. CRY has 3 letters so does JOY. 12. ANGER has 5 so does HAPPY. 13. RIGHT has 5 so does WRONG. 14. RICH has 4 so does POOR. 15. FAIL has 4 so does PASS 16. KNOWLEDGE has 9 so does IGNORANCE. Are they all by Co-incidence? We should Choose wisely, this means LIFE is like a Double-Edged Sword. Do you Agree

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Rejoice5000(f): 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
Almost all the food that's why i go on vegetable ad plaintain almost all the time without any oil, it has helped me in watching my weight.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Shollyps(m): 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
Wats calorie?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by gbanikiti(m): 5:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
So I have to be checking for calories before I eat? Imagine cooking a pot of okro soup with all the ingredients containing calories. God punish devil! angry
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
In a canteen, I can download up to 16 wraps of eba
I can drink 2 cups of garri.
I love vegetable & egusi soup die.
If na rice, I can eat 3 cups at a sitting. OMG!
Last Bullet:
Abeg, wetin be the disadvantage of excess calorie intake?
devigblegble: Am I the .... Omg
mtchew!
Lá síbí kí o kó'sì dànù.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by 9jahubcom(m): 5:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
nekaa: Good to know... I think I will hold tightly to my ewedu now...
yes oh
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Jobig(m): 5:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
Noted, but let me clear first
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by redcliff: 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
devigblegble: Am I the .... Omg

Yes! U r d dolt
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Coldfeet(f): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
The op is right! Most of the foods we consume is laden with high calories! but then its OUR FOOD!!!! We can't do away with them. All we need do is make sure we control our portions! In Nigeria we eat so much of a particular class of food till we are fill! Which ought not to be so! Food at all times should be balanced with all class of food present! But the hustle of life has robbed us of time to do so.

I still wonder why some people add sugar to boiled yam! Even with its high calorie content?? Not healthy at all!!!!

Noodles should not be eaten plain!! Like most of us do, and especially NOT with EGGS!!!! Imagine the caloric content of one Super pack indomie noodles multiplied by 2 packs and then add that of 2 eggs?? Jeezs!! We are killing ourselves o! Carrots! Green beans! And tomatoes should at least be present in you noodle.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by TUNEX89(m): 5:59pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ChukChinCol(m): 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
Abeg make una 'like' d thread atleast.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by quivah(f): 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by vislabraye(m): 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
I hope ladies in the house are taking note. That's why I many of them with bulging stomach even though they have not put to birth.

. In addition to all these unhealthy foods, they can finish up to two meat pies and giant size sharwama in one sitting. Then they'll drink a giant sized pepsi or small stout just because maga go pay.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by cherisskenzy(f): 6:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin ;Dcalories or no calories. Eat your food and exercise. End of story grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by losvemous: 6:02pm On Oct 25, 2013

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
That means more of indomie, egusi soup, pounded yam, fried plantain, rice etc for me.
Weight gain, here I come!cheesy
Thank you, OP!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? / Looking For A Thread? Please Look In Here. (Food Library)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.