Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,029 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents (139416 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Common Nigerian Foods And Their Recipes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by pharmow: 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good info
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by adtiezy1(m): 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
till further research proves positive..i will just stick to my gala and teem angry angry angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by UjSizzle(f): 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Geez but surely our 'suffer head' lifestyle in Nigeria should make up for all that calorie intake undecided
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by samjbo: 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
I will not eat food any longer. Let me see whether hunger has calories

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by OCcool: 6:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rocking my plate of pounded yam and Egusi soup joor.#notimeabeg
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by adconline(m): 6:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
B3sty: What of Garri? What's the Percentage of Calorie in it?
Why is it that most Nlers do not want to read? they are given an "expo" and they are still demanding for the answers to be clearly written in a blackboard.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by cherisskenzy(f): 6:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin
samjbo: I will not eat food any longer. Let me see whether hunger has calories
agreed. Let's start it today
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Cross007: 6:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nice!!!
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by tainot2002(m): 6:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
I'm On Seventh wrap of Pounded Yam now...Mama Chika abeg add cow tail and more Ogbono for me jare life no get duplicate!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Rawpidgin(m): 6:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
lmao, i remenber some time ago i went for lunch in my company's restaurant, i decided to go for a meal with low calories just because the face of the soup was very pleasant.
omo, wen i taste the food eh, chai! i nearly throw up, no single salt, pepper even maggi
na once i vow neva to near where low calories dey again
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ha. See me na. No wonder I'm not losing weight.I was eating more wheat thinking it's lower in calorie than garri.

And I love egusi soup and indomie too. cry embarassed
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by zolajpower: 6:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: So I have to be checking for calories before I eat? Imagine cooking a pot of okro soup with all the ingredients containing calories. God punish devil! angry
not calories,colestrole
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
story!
Food way my grandpa chop til he died @ 108,na im u say make i no chop. Calories ko.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by chinwe11: 6:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
http://www.africanweightloss.com contains plenty more nigerian meal calories. I just wish people would take note and watch what they eat.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by adconline(m): 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
chidyhels: story!
Food way my grandpa chop til he died @ 108,na im u say make i no chop. Calories ko.
I hate this stupid arguement! Your grandpa lived above 80 and all his siblings and age mates died before they turned 10.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by vanitty: 6:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
"Sweet" Nigeria food and low calories are enemies!
Even the way our salad is prepared sef, at the end you will just ponder and this is meant to be healthy
Nigeria food should be taken in very small quantity with lots of water and exercise afterwards
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
vanitty: "Sweet" Nigeria food and low calories are enemies!
Even the way our salad is prepared sef, at the end you will just ponder and this is meant to be healthy
Nigeria food should be taken in very small quantity with lots of water and exercise afterwards

You are right, that's what I do, small eba, plenty veg soup etc.

I roast my plantain in oven, even my eggs..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by nekaa(f): 6:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
Sllowppoisoon:

Typical Local gurl cheesy cheesy cheesy
if lesser calories is the new local, then I dnt mind...
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by chineloSA(f): 6:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Gawd, if I stop eating Indomie and Rice I will develop Kwashiokor. Those are the only things I enjoy shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by viruzemmy2: 6:55pm On Oct 25, 2013
Coldfeet: The op is right! Most of the foods we consume is laden with high calories! but then its OUR FOOD!!!! We can't do away with them. All we need do is make sure we control our portions! In Nigeria we eat so much of a particular class of food till we are fill! Which ought not to be so! Food at all times should be balanced with all class of food present! But the hustle of life has robbed us of time to do so.

I still wonder why some people add sugar to boiled yam! Even with its high calorie content?? Not healthy at all!!!!

Noodles should not be eaten plain!! Like most of us do, and especially NOT with EGGS!!!! Imagine the caloric content of one Super pack indomie noodles multiplied by 2 packs and then add that of 2 eggs?? Jeezs!! We are killing ourselves o! Carrots! Green beans! And tomatoes should at least be present in you noodle.
Na wen u struggle t0 buy 2 packet 0f ind0mie nd 1 egg jus t0 av0id drinkin garri, u g0 dey find carr0t nd green beans abi
Xum ppl dey behave lyk em n0 knw xay 4 sum ppl plain ind0mie na enj0yment... Ah c 0ne man we ch0p raw ind0mie nd milk... Enj0yment grin
0ur fada dan fat finish? Na cus una lazy dats y una dey fat anyhw
G0 d0 farm w0rk 4 3 m0nths ma c if d0es cal0ries n0 g0 turn t0 muscle grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by bukatyne(f): 6:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
vislabraye: I hope ladies in the house are taking note. That's why I many of them with bulging stomach even though they have not put to birth.

And exactly should ladies take note of? Are these foods eaten by ladies alone? Would a typical Nigerian potential husband marry a lady that can't cook these foods? Would you feel comfortable with a lady who prepares only salad and other 'medemedes' in the name of watching weight?

@OP: it is well o! Wetin we go chop na?

Thank God two foods I don't like are high calorified! Lol! Pounded yam and egusi.

Anyways, it depends on one's lifestyle; Mufu the bricklayer would need all the pounded yam, egusi and beef he can get.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
chineloSA:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Gawd, if I stop eating Indomie and Rice I will develop Kwashiokor. Those are the only things I enjoy shocked shocked shocked shocked

Eat veges proportional to the size of your rice. At the end of the day, you eat handful of rice, handful of veges and handful of meat/sauce..drink 2 cups of water and see your self going very healthy, your skin go change over night smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
idowuswap: igbo with nuisancica behaviou how can this tribe get food cal ABACHA wel then go soon dey thief food stuff 4rom thier neighbour now.TANK MY FELLOW NL
u r being pugnaciou...u r a scally wag nd a tribalist

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by NigeriaKitchen: 7:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
That was an informative article! Thanks for sharing.

Visit: www.nigeriakitchen.com today to learn how to cook all Nigerian dishes (Calabar, Esan, Idoma, Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Bini, etc).

NigeriaKitchen! Our Food! Our Pride!

Register at: www.nigeriakitchen.com to qualify for upcoming cooking recipe competitions!

Invite your friends and family.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by chineloSA(f): 7:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce:

Eat veges proportional to the size of your rice. At the end of the day, you eat handful of rice, handful of veges and handful of meat/sauce..drink 2 cups of water and see your self going very healthy, your skin go change over night smiley

Actually, i eat alot of veggies and fruit and I drink 5lt of water/day.

So long as I have not eaten Indomie/ rice, then its not food. shocked shocked shocked Looking at the calories they have, I have a problem.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by tiebe: 7:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
engr j:
CO-INCIDENCE OF LIFE: 1. CHURCH has 6 letters so does MOSQUE. 2. BIBLE has 5 letters so does QURAN. 3. LIFE has 4 letters so does DEAD. 4. HATE has 4 letters, so does LOVE. 5. ENEMIES has 7, so does FRIENDS. 6. LYING has 5, so does TRUTH. 7. HURT has 4, so does HEAL. 8. NEGATIVE has 8, so does POSITIVE. 9. FAILURE has 7, so does SUCCESS. 10. BELOW has 5, but so does ABOVE. 11. CRY has 3 letters so does JOY. 12. ANGER has 5 so does HAPPY. 13. RIGHT has 5 so does WRONG. 14. RICH has 4 so does POOR. 15. FAIL has 4 so does PASS 16. KNOWLEDGE has 9 so does IGNORANCE. Are they all by Co-incidence? We should Choose wisely, this means LIFE is like a Double-Edged Sword. Do you Agree

nice but cry and joy no work. It should be cry and smile

anger and happy no work, it should be anger and er. . . peace?
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
chineloSA:

Actually, i eat alot of veggies and fruit and I drink 5lt of water/day.

So long as I have not eaten Indomie/ rice, then its not food. shocked shocked shocked Looking at the calories they have, I have a problem.

Don't eat them too much, ESP if you don't exercise regularly. I changed my diet along time ago before child birth, and I can tell you, after some yrs now, I remain the Same. I reduce plenty pasta, rice all those orishirishi ...I exercise but just to keep my heart rate going.

Rice and noodles go increase you belly below as they turn to sugar.

Common, you can do it! smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by chiketee(m): 7:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
Everything you do in life requires calories( energy), even sleeping and breathing. OP never said you shouldn't eat those foods. The issue lies in taking in the amount you really need. So if you are underweight, load up,if u are over weight Abeg off load. A very active person eg an athlete can afford to eat pounded yam and egusi everyday and get away with it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ninocia18(m): 7:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
When yhu guys say all this thing about weight gain, yhu forget that we live in Nigeria. Its only a jobless person in Nigeria or that gets over weight. After eating poundered yam and egusi soup, Yhu now have to trek to your work . Even standing to get a bus devours weight. After going tru all yhu go tru in Nigeria, yhu now tell me not to eat well. Thanks for the info buh mehn, I have to chop to survive.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by oLAAbEfe(m): 7:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
#team ewedu tongue
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ninocia18(m): 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
When yhu guys say all this thing about weight gain, yhu forget that we live in Nigeria. Its only a jobless person in Nigeria or a glutton that gets over weight. After eating poundered yam and egusi soup, Yhu now have to trek to your work . Even standing to get a bus devours weight. After going tru all yhu go tru in Nigeria, yhu now tell me not to eat well. Thanks for the info buh mehn, I have to chop to survive.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by satellitedaisy: 7:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
Choi!! shocked@ Indomie and I can finish one carton in a week grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? / Looking For A Thread? Please Look In Here. (Food Library)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.