Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. (11898 Views)

University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell / "Obesity Gene” / One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by AbuMikey(m): 6:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
[img]http://2.bp..com/-Y78hgsmYq3s/UmqpnxVeyEI/AAAAAAAAAHY/ghhsdpHTmDI/s320/%253D%253Futf-8%253FB%253FQEBAb2Jlcy5qcGc%253D%253F%253D-750991[/img]

Obese people who claim they have a “slow metabolism” may have a point after scientists discover a gene that for the first time links being overweight with reduced metabolic activity.

Researchers from Cambridge University found that mutations in a gene known as KSR2 reduce the ability of cells to metabolise glucose and fatty acids, which provide energy.

These gene mutations are also more common in people with severe obesity than in the general, non-obese population, they found.

It has long been suggested that some people may be predisposed to obesity because of a “slow metabolism” but this is the first time that scientists have been able to identify a definite genetic basis for such an idea.
“It was something that most of us didn’t quite believe could happen because there wasn’t much evidence for it until now,” said Professor Sadaf Farooqi of the University of Cambridge. “Up until now, the genes we have identified that
control body weight have largely affected appetite.

This gene also increases appetite but it is also causes a slow metabolic rate,” Professor Farooqi said.

“KSR2 is different in that it also plays a role in regulating how energy is used in the body. In the future, modulation of KSR2 may represent a useful therapeutic strategy for obesity and type-2 diabetes,” she said.

Working with Ines Barroso of the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute near Cambridge, Professor Farooqi sequenced the DNA from over 2,000 patients with severe, early onset obesity, and found that about 2 per cent of them had multiple mutations in the KSR2 gene – more than twice the rate found in non-obese people.

The study, published in the journal Cell, follows earlier work on mice that established the link between the gene and obesity. Mice that lacked the gene became severely overweight.

The KSR2 gene is responsible for some of the “scaffolding” proteins of the cell which play a crucial role in ensuring that signals from hormones such as
insulin are correctly processed in the body to regulate how cells grow, divide and use energy.

The scientists found that patients with mutations in the KSR2 gene reported that they had an increased drive to eat when they were children but also a
reduced metabolic rate, which meant they were unable to burn off all they energy they consumed.

Low metabolic rate is often linked with an underactive thyroid gland, but in these people their thyroid levels were within normal range, which meant that their metabolic deficit was caused by
something else, such as defected KSR2 genes.
“This work adds to a growing body of evidence that genes play a major role in influencing a person’s weight and may be useful for developing new ways to treat people who are heavy and develop
diabetes,” Professor Farooqi said.

A study published earlier this year by the same scientists found that children with the most severe kinds of obesity are more likely than other children to have one or more of four genetic variations in their DNA which could influence appetite and food
metabolism.

Blogger Source »»» www.uselucentral..no/2013/10/it-is-slow-metabolism-after-all.html?m=1

Official Source »»» www.independent.co.uk/news/science/it-is-a-slow-metabolism-after-all-scientists-discover-obesity-gene-8902235.html

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by ettekamba1: 6:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
Finally made a comment, but does this explain why some cultures are generally obese e.g. Those from Tonga or Hawaii?
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by AnOlAd: 6:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
Interesting....

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Jayses(m): 6:38pm On Oct 27, 2013
Lekpa and orobo tinZ
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
hmmm, interesting, if a gene can cause obesity then It's possible another one can make someone slim: now i know why no matter the quantity of food i take, i never grow fat.... Scientist should look for a way to artificially induce the action of that gene .... I need it cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Elcapo(m): 6:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
And so
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by DonaldGenes(m): 6:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
My name is Donald Genes and may i have the pleasure of un_ringing this bell as reqards to the post? Can i throw more light to this topic?
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
nawaooo..

i dread dis so much
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
nice pix...... undecidednice pix......
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by tafabaloo(m): 6:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
no matter what . it can stiil be well managed for one to live healthy
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by checkdate(m): 6:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
okay. so what neXt ?
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by adconline(m): 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
Another science " amour" to gluttons and chop till I die folks

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
What exactly are professors and those having doctorate degree in science from Nigeria university discovering or inventing for us African?

It time we play alongside with Japan as they follow the path of eastern science. We want African science where Africa will be pushed into human development ladder and technological revolution. Getting sick of this western garbage

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by peacettw: 6:52pm On Oct 27, 2013
And to think I just read obesity/overweight as a topic yesterday.
@op The concept that there is a genetic influence with regards to obesity is not new. Infact, the singular most important factor in having children who end up being obese adults irrespective of their weight now is having obese parents.

Suffice it to say, a theory was postulated that the early man developed a complex system of storing fat and glucose during times of plenty to sustain them when famine hits with nature selecting the sustenance of the genes of those that were able to store most fat to enhance survival. Sadly, we are now left with a system that stores up fat which is no longer needed since we don't necessarily lack food anymore.

Genetic factor in combination with environmental (fast food high in fat, sodium, simple sugars, calories plus lifestyle choices) still remain the largest contributing factors to obesity.

To find out if you are obese, follow this simple formula, divide ur weight in kg by your height in meters squared eg 75kg/1.5m² This is called your Basal Metabolic Index (BMI)

<18.5: underweight
18.5-24.9: Normal
25-29.9: Overweight
30-34.9: obese
35-39.9: Moderately obese
40-44.9: morbidly obese
45-49.9: Severely morbidly obese
50 and above: *YET TO FIND A MEDICAL TERM FOR IT! *

I am thinking you guys have had enough of the lecture. Live healthy. Remember Obesity is and remains a disease no matter how curvy or sexy it makes u look

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by mcevans1(m): 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
Elliotwiz1: hmmm, interesting, if a gene can cause obesity then It's possible another one can make someone slim: now i know why no matter the quantity of food i take, i never grow fat.... Scientist should look for a way to artificially induce the action of that gene .... I need it cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Same things applies to me. I never grow fat no matter the quantity of food I take.
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Mickey7(m): 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
adconline: Another science " amour" to gluttons and chop till I die folks
what pple fail to understand is one might be lean on the outside but fat on the inside
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by zolajpower: 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2013
Confirm
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by collins123(m): 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
I believe in God.

Science rocks too.

I'm trying to find a correllation for both.
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Sllowppoisoon: 7:04pm On Oct 27, 2013
Genes Well FP tinz
Happy Sunday pals...More Blessing for yall dz week... smiley smiley smiley
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by SirTunechi(f): 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2013
Diz science pple don cum again
#team Herbalists
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by DonaldGenes(m): 7:10pm On Oct 27, 2013
[quote author=peacettw]And to think I just read obesity/overweight as a topic yesterday.
@op The concept that there is a genetic influence with regards to obesity is not new. Infact, the singular most important factor in having children who end up being obese adults irrespective of their weight now is having obese parents.

Genetic factor in combination with environmental (fast food high in fat, sodium, simple sugars, calories) are the largest contributing factors to obesity.

To find out if you are obese, follow this simple formula, divide ur weight in kg by your height in meters squared eg 75kg/1.5m² This is called your Basal Metabolic Index (BMI)

<18.5: underweight
18.5-24.9: Normal
25-29.9: Overweight
30-34.9: obese
35-39.9: Moderately obese
40-44.9: morbidly obese
45-49.9: Severely morbidly obese
50 and above: *YET TO FIND A MEDICAL TERM FOR IT! *
[/quote

You tried lady, it's more than that, being obese doesn't just happen overnight like that, ever heard of genes switching ON and OFF, some people who are obesed are the sole reason they are fat, why? simply because they tend to switch on this Genes that requlates obesity while some who are lekpa eat less and that means those genes are switch off but barring any circumstances if one decide to keep on eating all these fast food, they tend to qradually turn on these genes and then these genes orders Proteins to make ....it's more like Genes Expression........example, your parents can be obese and you as the child isn't fat? the whole concept has to do with what we do with our body and it thus affects our Genes-
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by DonaldGenes(m): 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2013
collins123: I believe in God.

Science rocks too.

I'm trying to find a correllation for both.

Lozz don't be confused pal, It is the same GOD that qives us wisdom to discover the beautiful things we humans are yet to find...the way God wires our Brain is a mystery but we only utilized it just a little bit of it..it has to do with how we think, and that's why we are very far from discovering just like the USA, India and so forth...
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by peacettw: 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
[quote author=Donalð Genes][/quote]

Like I said, environmental factors plays a huge role as well, or how do you explain the likes of struggling artists who go from been frail and thin to huge and obese almost overnight just cos they have hit it big.

Again, I am a big believer that if one can control the environmental factors, the genetic influence will be kept in check cos let us face it, fat is only formed from excess glucose and proteins all gotten from our diet and lack of active lifestyle. Remove that, and the body will have nothing to work with.
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by DonaldGenes(m): 7:17pm On Oct 27, 2013
mc~evans:

Same things applies to me. I never grow fat no matter the quantity of food I take.
You are wrong, of course you can, though your genes controlling fat is recessive, others may be Dorminant, but if you eat anyhow food, guy trust me_you won't like what you see,

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Whitecoal711: 7:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
How about Thin people
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2013
I always knew that thing can be in a gene.
I know a family that do not v a single lepa (slender) child. They are all fat like Fatimo.
Last Bullet:
I am looking for my BB charger. If you find am, call 08012345678.
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by anselm791(m): 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2013
KRS2 gene right? Now we have an excuse to get fat.
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by DonaldGenes(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
peacettw:

Like I said, environmental factors plays a huge role as well, or how do you explain the likes of struggling artists who go from been frail and thin to huge and obese almost overnight just cos they have hit it big.

Again, I am a big believer that if one can control the environmental factors, the genetic influence will be kept in check cos let us face it, fat is only formed from excess glucose and proteins all gotten from our diet and lack of active lifestyle. Remove that, and the body will have nothing to work with.

that is what am tryna say Environment plays a big role too__like when you see some artist qrowing fat and later they become slim, it means that they have decided to take it upon themselves to stop eating as before and then the qenes will now be suppress..let me explain it for those not in the Genetcis line..i mean those same qenes will TURN OFF small small, and then the glucose in-take can now be control making them slim back as before_mind you,Insulin is controlled by this genes,that's why the insulin is able to close and open the glucose PATHWAY
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2013
I havealways said it, if there are people who eat a lot yet they don't grow fat, then there should be people who eat little and still look fat. My elder brother eats anyhow, he eats anything. Yet he is slim and cute. Why is it so?
Re: Scientists Discovers Obesity gene. by NOIBMUUL(m): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
What is wrong with being big, fat and/or obese? So na lepa wey lean like tooth pick na eim be d koko?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ondo Sends Lassa Fever Patient Back To Edo / 5 Ways Being Outdoors Improves Your Health / Drug Or Injections: Which Do You Prefer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.